5 Guys

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6196
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/28 15:47:35 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

chewingthefat

db1105

I found them to be overprice, and overhype shoe leather. They should be put out of business for beef abuse. They squeeze all the juice out of the meat so that all of the grease can work its way in. The reason they have so many toppings is because the meat is burnt, flavorless, and not that good.

Other than the above mentioned, how did you like the place?

Rants about Five Guys that revolve around them:
  • "abusing meat"
  • "smashing the meat"
  • "serving only well done"
  • "etc."
never fail to amuse. 

What would the "critics" rather they do in this litigious society?  Here is what happens when beef is not handled properly or cooked to an internal temp of < 160:  http://www.marlerclark.com/case_news/view/jack-in-the-box-e-coli-outbreak-western-states/ .

These "critics" evidently are far more comfortable when their irradiated, frozen patties of beef from God Knows Where are thawed, prepped, and "cooked" behind closed doors, then served "medium" with a smile. 

Say what you want about Five Guys; but at least they have the testicular fortitude to let their customers watch the entire process of their food going from raw to being served steaming in a poke.  WYSIWYG!

Way to tell it,Jim...I agree....it seems some people just repeat the rants others make....misery loves company!!!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/28 20:39:27 (permalink)
I am not ranting.  My  opinion is that I  would rather  have a  medium  rare  hamburger served to me  witout it  being over cooked.  I  just  care for the final result.  Also,  I  detest  the wastefulness of all those  french  fries  that they serve  just  so that they can  "hike"  the  price up  and  have people think that this justifies  what they charge. This is NOT a  rant.  This is  my opinion
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7769
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/28 21:21:35 (permalink)
I like your opinion.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18268
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/28 21:50:15 (permalink)
So do I.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10106
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/29 01:46:01 (permalink)
Anyone who goes into a 5 Guys or any other fast food burger joint should realize they're not going to get a custom cooked burger like they would get at a mom & pop or a "Boutique" Burger place or a speciality burger house. You can't compare apples & oranges, or burgers for that matter. You need to judge burgers and any other food in the category in which they compete with others of like type. Compare MD to BK to Wendy's & Jack in the Box----Compare 5 Guys to Red Robin, In-N-Out & Carl's Jr.
The humongous amount of fries at 5 Guys is their Signature Shtick. You know what it is. You know what to expect unless it's your first visit. If you don't like it or don't want it, don't buy it, but don't complain about it. Expect it.
Knowing who & what they are, I now buy a Single Burger or a Hot Dog & a Small Fries (If I want Fries) and I know what to expect both Price and Quality-wise---Just like I know what to expect at Mickey D's. It is what it is!

If you want something different, go someplace else.

Incidently, I think the 5 Guys Hot Dog is the best item on their menu, with grilled Mushrooms & Onions and a little mustard. I like the Peanuts too, just wished they served beer with them!
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/06/29 01:47:45
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4000
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/29 09:08:33 (permalink)
Foodbme

You can't compare apples & oranges, or burgers.  Compare MD to BK to Wendy's & Jack in the Box----Compare 5 Guys to Red Robin, In-N-Out & Carl's Jr.

A-men! 

When I want a quick, cheap snack (or a fairly clean restroom) nothing beats a "McDouble" for a buck. 

On the "other end" my wife and I are VERY happy that Twisted Root ( http://twistedrootburgerco.com/wordpress/ ), Village Burger Bar  ( http://www.villageburgerbar.com/ ), and Square Burger ( http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20100901-Restaurant-review-Square-Burger-5923.ece ) are all within five miles of our home; all are fantastic for a $25. sit-down burger dinner.

And, when I am in the mood for a custom-thawed, previously irradiated, burger patty prepared "my way",  then tucked inside a Wal-Mart Great Value bun and garnished with "SYSCO's finest", then served by a friendly waitress, I go to my local Waffle House.  This "treat", including tip, costs about the same as a burger and fries at the joint which is the subject of this thread, yet - quality aside - Waffle House "gives you" far less meat and far fewer potatos.  But, the local Waffle House has this cute little Latina waitress ...

BTW:  doesn't it occur to anyone that a frozen, irradiated burger patty has already been "pre-smashed" and "pre-abused" before hitting the grill?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6196
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/29 12:47:51 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Foodbme

You can't compare apples & oranges, or burgers.  Compare MD to BK to Wendy's & Jack in the Box----Compare 5 Guys to Red Robin, In-N-Out & Carl's Jr.

A-men! 

When I want a quick, cheap snack (or a fairly clean restroom) nothing beats a "McDouble" for a buck. 

On the "other end" my wife and I are VERY happy that Twisted Root ( http://twistedrootburgerco.com/wordpress/ ), Village Burger Bar  ( http://www.villageburgerbar.com/ ), and Square Burger ( http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20100901-Restaurant-review-Square-Burger-5923.ece ) are all within five miles of our home; all are fantastic for a $25. sit-down burger dinner.

And, when I am in the mood for a custom-thawed, previously irradiated, burger patty prepared "my way",  then tucked inside a Wal-Mart Great Value bun and garnished with "SYSCO's finest", then served by a friendly waitress, I go to my local Waffle House.  This "treat", including tip, costs about the same as a burger and fries at the joint which is the subject of this thread, yet - quality aside - Waffle House "gives you" far less meat and far fewer potatos.  But, the local Waffle House has this cute little Latina waitress ...

BTW:  doesn't it occur to anyone that a frozen, irradiated burger patty has already been "pre-smashed" and "pre-abused" before hitting the grill?

I agree totally with the last two posts...I guess food is in the mouth of the beholder.....5 Guys is great for what you get...and being a chain is not going to serve rare burgers.  I happen to like my burgers there and I love all the toppings...mine is stacked but I still taste the fresh meat...Who tastes meat in a cheap fast food burger? That being said, enjoy what you like and hate what you hate...opinion is just that opinion....I guess this place is made for expressing said OPINIONS.
     I listen to many talk about their favorite fast food pizza, and Pizza Hut sells millions...but to this Italian it isn't real quality "pizza"...but if you're happy eating their sugary fast food product , so be it, and we 5 Guys advocates will enjoy their "smashed and over cooked, dry" burgers....variety is the spice of life!!!!!!!
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 971
Re:5 Guys 2011/06/29 13:37:53 (permalink)
Just had lunch at the Rio Grande (NJ) 5 Guys.  Surprise, surprise,  I pulled the cup of fries out of the bag..........and that was all there was!  No pile of overflow at the bottom of the bag.  I don't know if that is a new policy or a new empoyee forgeting the extra fries.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1