5 Guys

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
2011/05/21 10:34:23 (permalink)

5 Guys

Tried 5 Guys for the 2nd time, still not impressed with the burgers, Indy has so many places with better burgers.  I like just about everything except  catsupon my sandwich but this 5 Guys  burger was really messy,but not in a good way.  Lots of lettuce, 1 small pink tomato, 2 pickles, small amount of sauteed onions.  But, I love the fries, will go back again for the fries.  If I want to do fast food, I will have a Wendy's  burger.

37 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/21 15:02:21 (permalink)
    I guess your 5 guys experience,like so many franchises, depends on the one you go to. It's a build your own burger place, and I usually get almost all the choices....plenty of everything. Sure it's messy, but with what I get on it,a gourmet burger somewhere else would be about the same, unless maybe they used a Hard roll...I'd love that option at 5 guys. And yes, the fries are superb!!!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/21 17:36:51 (permalink)
    Cool, another Five Guys Burgers and Fries thread! 
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 373
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/21 17:48:56 (permalink)
    Maybe you ought to head up to the Fishers or Noblesville locations. They do a great burger. Certainly better than a Wendy's. I've never had a bad, or even mediocre 5 Guys burger at either of those 2 locations. The crews are great and they're always packed.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/21 21:31:06 (permalink)
    The Five Guys in Evanston, IL makes some tasty burgers.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/21 21:34:09 (permalink)
    That is great b ut t his belongs  under fast food and chains   and  not  under Hamburgers!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/22 08:33:48 (permalink)
    Greymo

That is great b ut t his belongs  under fast food and chains   and  not  under Hamburgers!

Greymo, I was going to argue that it is a Roadfood chain because it has an officially sanctioned review here, but I can't find it.  Maybe it got pulled since they became a mega-franchise corporate chain?
    badart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 17:27:28 (permalink)
    What are you favorite burgers in Indy claracamille? I really haven't gone to too many places for burgers because I am usually in Indy for other things. I have tried Workingman's Friend and a few others. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.
    SBXSTR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 18:21:50 (permalink)
    Greymo is off base. 5 Guys happens to be a chain, but it is also about great burgers. Ruth's Chris is a chain, but it is also a great restuarant. I'm not interested in the Chains threads: 5G is not McD, Wendys, BK. Period. They serve excellent burgers, considering their niche. Been to may 5Gs and never been disappointed.   
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 18:24:08 (permalink)
    Pardon me but I believe that any chain restaurants  are to be posted under chain restaurants.  I am not off-base!     

And in my opinion,  5 guys  no longer serve great hamburgers!                                                                                                                                                                             
    post edited by Greymo - 2011/05/23 18:27:15
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 19:10:57 (permalink)
    SBXSTR

Greymo is off base. 5 Guys happens to be a chain, but it is also about great burgers. Ruth's Chris is a chain, but it is also a great restuarant. I'm not interested in the Chains threads: 5G is not McD, Wendys, BK. Period. They serve excellent burgers, considering their niche. Been to may 5Gs and never been disappointed.

And lots of people actually believe Pizza Hut makes grat tomato pies, but it is still a chain. Some people might actually believe Five Guys sells good hamburgers, but Five Guys is still a chain with franchisees. Flat out, a chain.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8329
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 20:03:23 (permalink)
    I agree that this should have been under the chain forum, but poor claracamille may never post again...whether or not they are great burgers is not the point, SBXSTR.It IS a chain. And we have forums for that. But I, too, sometimes ponder what forums to post things in. Thats why we are here-to gently remind each other.
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/23 21:01:33 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Greymo

Greymo, I was going to argue that it is a Roadfood chain because it has an officially sanctioned review here, but I can't find it.  Maybe it got pulled since they became a mega-franchise corporate chain?

It was there a couple of years ago when I added it to my list of visited Roadfood places.

claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/29 07:50:10 (permalink)
    Root Beer Man,
    I was at the Fishers location, been there twice.  I am not impressed with their burgers.  Also, very expensive for a fast food place.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/29 08:27:11 (permalink)
    badart

What are you favorite burgers in Indy claracamille? I really haven't gone to too many places for burgers because I am usually in Indy for other things. I have tried Workingman's Friend and a few others. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

On the north side of Indy, my favorites are 96th St Steakburgers-fresh cut french fries, made from scratch milkshakes, great burgers.  The burgers are somewhat like Steak n Shake-thin crispy edges.  They make a mustard grilled bun-spead yellow mustard on the bun & then grill, really good.   Bub's Burgers in Carmel- again fresh cut french fries, right on the Monon Trail, a 15+ mile walking & biking trail that goes from Carmel IN down to 10th in Downtown Indy.  Great people watching.  The last place for good burgers is The Friendly in Zionsville, IN.  Great all around food.  The Friendly has a great St Patrick's Day Party, big tent, outstanding corned beef & cabbage.
    Sorry I didn't post this on the chain forum, I had a senior moment!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4060
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/29 09:36:25 (permalink)
    When I discovered their first store in 1986 Five Guys was definitely "roadfood":  as they were only a walk-up you had to eat in your car.  As they have (some would say) metastasized into a national "chain" interest in them among Roadfooders has led to many passionate threads where the lovers and haters fuss endlessly about them.  As this hoary topic has crept back into "Hamburgers", I thought that you all may find of interest a recent post I did on the occasion of In-N-Out's spectacularily successful debut in Texas:

--------------------------

As promised, I finally waited the 45 minutes necessary to get my food mid-sfternoon last Saturday.  West has at last come to meat East!  Mrs. Metro and I happen to be lucky enough now to have two Five Guys and two In-N-Outs within 10 miles of our home in McKinney, TX, birthplace and burial ground of Haystacks Calhoun!  If only Haystacks could have lived to see this ... 

MiamiDon's Photo

VS.

Presentation:
    After having discovered their first store - a now-closed walk-up with no seating in the Westmont Shopping Center in Arlington, VA, I have been a Five Guys customer since the Reagan Administration.  Their quality, reasonably-priced food then overcame my objections of blaring music, no seating, and sh*tty "presentation".  Since, the music has been toned down, they now provide seating, but their presentation is still sh*tty - especially as one can see above vis a vis In-N-Out .  When they were only a walk-up I could see putting everything in a poke as I had to take it to my car to eat.  Why they have not evolved beyond that is beyond me.  Mrs. Metro, who does not allow condiment bottles on our dinner table (ketchup, steak sauce, salsa, etc. are served in minature pitchers or small ramekins with tiny spoons) is absolutely horrified by the "pokes".

Another thing I hate about Five Guys presentation is that my burger looks like this on their prep table: 

And 20 seconds later when I take it out of the steaming poke 'o fries and unwrap the foil, it looks like this: 

This gives me PSTD-type flashbacks of trying to keep the grease away from my Charvet tie when eating such in my Euro-Coupe!  I am seriously tempted to take my own plate when I next go.  In-N-Out wins presentation hands down and six ways from Sunday!

The meat:
    Both use excellent quality fresh, hand pattied beef.  As neither wants a salmonellosis scandal, both source their own beef and cook it "well done".  As Five Guys's patties are 65% larger than INO's (3.3 oz. vs. 2 oz.), Five Guys is the jucier, tastier finished product.

The bun:
    In keeping with the tradition of their first store which was located next to their bun supplier, Brenner's Bakery, the Guys use a substantial sesame seeded bun while INO's is closer to a Wal-Mary "Great Value" bun.  That said, Five Guys bun had better be substantial in order to survive the abuse it undergoes with their above-mentioned (and illustrated) sh*tty presentation!

The toppings:
    Both are fresh and top-notch, but the Guys have a far greater variety (A-1, sauteed shrooms, etc., etc.) which they apply at no extra charge.  (Nothing is "free", however, see pricing & value below).

The fries:
    You tell me:  
                                          Five Guys (this photo illustrates less than half their "small" portion)                                                                               

vs.

INO

Both cut their own fries fresh in-house, blanch them, then fry them to finish right before serving.  INO peels their potatos, the Guys do not and also cut a larger fry and serve a MUCH larger portion.  The Guys fry in peanut oil, INO uses vegetable oil.  The Guys' fries have a definite potato taste; INO's are kind of mealy.  The "fry contest" is in fact "no contest".  And the Guys even provide malt vinegar!                                                                               

Price, FYI:
    INO Double Double w/cheese, L/T/P/Sauce (4 oz. beef): $3.75 (and looks very pretty when served!)
    Five Guys "regular" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (6.6 oz. beef): $5.69
    Five Guys "small burger" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (3.3 oz beef): $3.75
    INO Fries Regular: $1.75
    INO Fries "animal-style" - regular size w/ sauteed onions & burger sauce: $3.30 (served w/ fork, thank you)
    Five Guys "Small": $2.79 (more than twice the serving as INO, and malt vinegar is available!)

Bottom Line:
    Both places beat the living snot out of McWendyKing and are excellent exemplars of American Entrepreneurship.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8329
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/29 09:45:20 (permalink)
    Love your assessment, Jim. Bob loves 5 Guys.I havent had one yet.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/29 10:36:02 (permalink)
    Great analysis!! Fair and honest. I only ate at innout once on a California vacation. The place was packed, and it was far better than Mc Di's or Burger King or Wendy's...fresh and flavorful. We eat all the time at our 5 Guys. Love trhe toppings,and yes the fries are some of the best out there!! Malt vinegar IS a classy touch. Interesting,the price comparison...When comparing apples to apples,5 Guys is about the same!!!! Thanks for a great post!!!!
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/30 07:41:05 (permalink)
    The fries in Jim's shot look great...neither of the Five Guys that opened in our area serve anything that vaguely resemble them. They do manage to consistently produce a burger that looks like what he got.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/30 09:53:10 (permalink)
    Amazing...Either we see what we want to see, or 5 Guys quality  DOES vary from franchise to franchise. Those fries look exactly like the delicious fries we go often to get. And while the steamed in the bag and wrapper" look isn't appealing to some...the taste is great, and the topping selections allow great flexibility at no extra cost(except for bacon).
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/30 10:07:26 (permalink)
    cavandre

The fries in Jim's shot look great...neither of the Five Guys that opened in our area serve anything that vaguely resemble them. They do manage to consistently produce a burger that looks like what he got.

Write them and complain!  You ought not be deprived due to shoddy quality control by the franchisor!

They have expanded so quickly, such "oopsies" are inevitable but the franchisor has an extremely strong pecuniary interest in weeding out franchisees who do not "get with the program".
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/30 10:13:56 (permalink)
    Yep!!!!! Hopefully some of them check in on this site!!!
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 669
    Re:5 Guys 2011/05/30 10:46:47 (permalink)
    love their fries, but went their yesterday and had a double bacon burger and not only was the burger dry like sawdust so was the bacon that seemed to be deepfried so long it shattered like a potato chip, im sure they would go good medium rare but they will only serve it smashed to death well done
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/22 23:19:47 (permalink)
    I cant' stand their fries...both times i got them they were completely mushy and not cooked...I will give a thumbs up for their burgers though...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/23 01:10:19 (permalink)
    I had their hot dog for lunch today. I like their dogs. The split them and grill them on the flattop until they get crispy. I like the flavor of the dog but can't identify the brand. It looks like a 5 or 6/1. The bun was soft and nicely grilled. I had grilled onions, mushrooms and mustard on it.
    The tab for 1 dog and a small drink, with tax, $6.20!!!! Good but a little pricey!!!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/06/23 03:42:07
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/23 09:46:46 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Cool, another Five Guys Burgers and Fries thread! 

I actually laughed out loud.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/25 17:35:25 (permalink)
    I found them to be overprice, and overhype shoe leather. They should be put out of business for beef abuse. They squeeze all the juice out of the meat so that all of the grease can work its way in. The reason they have so many toppings is because the meat is burnt, flavorless, and not that good.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/25 17:56:55 (permalink)
    db1105

I found them to be overprice, and overhype shoe leather. They should be put out of business for beef abuse. They squeeze all the juice out of the meat so that all of the grease can work its way in. The reason they have so many toppings is because the meat is burnt, flavorless, and not that good.

Other than the above mentioned, how did you like the place?

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/26 00:46:00 (permalink)
    chewingthefat
    db1105

Other than the above mentioned, how did you like the fries? AND the Peanuts?
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/06/26 00:47:20
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:5 Guys 2011/06/28 12:18:33 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

db1105

Rants about Five Guys that revolve around them:
    • "abusing meat"
    • "smashing the meat"
    • "serving only well done"
    • "etc."
    never fail to amuse. 

What would the "critics" rather they do in this litigious society?  Here is what happens when beef is not handled properly or cooked to an internal temp of < 160:  http://www.marlerclark.com/case_news/view/jack-in-the-box-e-coli-outbreak-western-states/ .

These "critics" evidently are far more comfortable when their irradiated, frozen patties of beef from God Knows Where are thawed, prepped, and "cooked" behind closed doors, then served "medium" with a smile. 

Say what you want about Five Guys; but at least they have the testicular fortitude to let their customers watch the entire process of their food going from raw to being served steaming in a poke.  WYSIWYG!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1