Hot!5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/17 18:27:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow
Just got back from a week in Atlanta. I went to both Mary Mac's and Agnes and Muriel's (1516 Monroe near Piedmont Ave).

ExtremeGlow,
You've just turned me on to a new-to-me restaurant. Sounds like I've gotta try it... campy, eh? Whoa, nellie!
My only disappointment is this: you drove straight down Monroe Drive (or so it seems) and passed right by one of Atlanta's GREAT Roadfood destinations, The Silver Grill at 900 Monroe.
Next time, go there as well. Just don't make a joke about their serving lint sandwiches from Sig Samuels' Cleaners next door... leave that for me to do!
It's on the corner of 8th. Street, right next to Grady High School's campus.
Homesickly (I MISS Atlanta!), Ort. Carlton, Semi-Barnacled in Nearby Athens, Georgia.

Silver Grill was on my short list but I just wasn't able to get there!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/20 01:58:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew
Unless you want to get Physically Ill, do not go to Harold's
The Chopped Pork was RANCID when I was there 2 weeks ago.
An excellent alternative is Daddy D'Z, just a few blocks from the King Memorial Marta Stop.

Dearfolk,
I just last night read something that may relate to this situation here: "As any serious 'cue hound knows, great BBQ joints have peak hours. [Paraphrasing this next sentence.] Thelma's brisket is still good at dinnertime, but it isn't as moist." -- "Are You Really Going To Eat That?" by Robb Walsh, on Thelma's Bar-B-Que on Live Oak in Houston.
There isn't any excuse for Harold's to be serving rancid meat, but their cutter probably goes home after 5:00 P. M. or earlier, and they have to serve what they have left. A better bet is to eat the ribs or chicken if in doubt.
As soon as my van's transmission is repaired, I'll check this out firsthand and get back here. I'm flat amazed; I've never had anything but a good meal at Harold's.
Beating An Old Horse, Ort. Carlton in Not-Too-Distant Athens, Georgia.
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/04 18:35:35 (permalink)
I wanted to revive this thread, because I'll be in the same situation in a couple weeks.  We've got a three-and-a-half hour layover, arriving at 1:45 PM, on a Monday (if that matters) and would like to get out of the airport for some Southern food.  Mary Mac's is definitely Plan A.  I've done it before on a three hour layover, so I know it's doable. 

What I'm looking for is Plan B, in case logistics keep us from Plan A.  The goal is to minimize walking, as my wife has occasional RA flare-ups, and travel time in case the flight is late. So I'm probably looking for something close to either College Park or East Point MARTA.  Again, Southern food is the goal, but barbecue is OK too.

Barbecue Kitchen is a contender, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with Q's Restaurant in East Point?  Based on what little I've read it seems to fit the bill.  I'd also love to try Lunch on Main Street in College Park, but apparently they close at 2:00, so the chance of us getting there is about nil.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/04 19:13:59 (permalink)
If you find yourself short on time - Paschal's at the airport is the place to eat.  Better southern food than you would expect in an airport from a vendor with a long Atlanta history before they ever entered the airport.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/04 19:47:51 (permalink)
I have been and out of the Atlanta Hartsfield 100's of times and the quality of the airport food has improved considerable.  Plenty of good places in every concourse.  Three and a half hours sounds like a long time but you have to consider the size of the airport and getting to the airport exit and then coming back through security which is not easy.  If it were me, I would spend my time searching the concourse.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1098
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 09:38:00 (permalink)
It might not quite meet the traditional Southern food criteria, but I just got back from Atlanta and I highly recommend the One Eared Stag.  Also, it is literally at the bottom of the Marta Inman Park-Reyonldstown platform. 

The meatstick is one of the best burgers I've had in years.  Maybe ever.  My wife got the grilled cheese and soup.  We assumed it would be tomato but when it was set down, the waitress told us it was a vegan squash curry soup.  After a cautious first bite, we declared it one of the best soups we've ever had.  I can't wait to go back the next time we are in town.

http://www.oneearedstag.com/

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/one-eared-stag-meatstick-burger-review-atlanta-georgia.html

post edited by hatteras04 - 2013/11/05 09:39:09
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 12:53:11 (permalink)
hatteras04

It might not quite meet the traditional Southern food criteria, but I just got back from Atlanta and I highly recommend the One Eared Stag.  Also, it is literally at the bottom of the Marta Inman Park-Reyonldstown platform. 

The meatstick is one of the best burgers I've had in years.  Maybe ever.  My wife got the grilled cheese and soup.  We assumed it would be tomato but when it was set down, the waitress told us it was a vegan squash curry soup.  After a cautious first bite, we declared it one of the best soups we've ever had.  I can't wait to go back the next time we are in town.

http://www.oneearedstag.com/

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/one-eared-stag-meatstick-burger-review-atlanta-georgia.html

That looks like quite a place! Definitely upscale and not roadfood, but WGARA?

kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 13:32:19 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I have been and out of the Atlanta Hartsfield 100's of times and the quality of the airport food has improved considerable.  Plenty of good places in every concourse.  Three and a half hours sounds like a long time but you have to consider the size of the airport and getting to the airport exit and then coming back through security which is not easy.  If it were me, I would spend my time searching the concourse.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Best thing is to take MARTA train to Five Points, change trains to get to the King Memorial station, and go to the curb markets at Sweet Auburn!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 13:38:16 (permalink)
kevincad

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Best thing is to take MARTA train to Five Points, change trains to get to the King Memorial station, and go to the curb markets at Sweet Auburn!

Quite frankly to try to do that, get out of the airport through the tram, catch the train, go to where you want to go, enjoy your food, catch the train back and go through security in three and a half hours is way too much stress for me.
I realize the individual asking for advice was righteous and I gave the best adviceI could having being a veteran of 100's of times in and out of Atlanta.

The airport is in the process of updating its food availability and has been doing so for several years.  It has changed a lot in the last six months.

My best advice is for a three and a half hour layover is stay in the terminal and enjoy a cocktail and some southern food there.  I am aware that there is much better food around the city but personally, not worth the stress for their layover.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 14:07:19 (permalink)
I know you asked for traditional southern cooking, but......my favorite pizza....anywhere......period.....comes from Varasanos in Atlanta, and they just opened a location at the airport

http://atlanta.eater.com/...pen-in-concourse-a.php

Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/05 14:25:56 (permalink)
I'd have to agree that, for me, 3 and a half hours is too stressfully short a layover to risk a train ride and a connection much of anywhere, never mind the wait that often comes at Mary Mac's.  I'd stick with the Paschal's in the airport (though I do agree with Mr. Jackson that Varasano's is a really special pie) or take a taxi over to Barbecue Kitchen in College Park.  I prefer the BBQ at Hambones in Hapeville to the Kitchen, but the Kitchen will do a better job at the southern cooking / meat and three that you're looking for.
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/14 10:37:53 (permalink)
Sorry to be slow in replying.  I've been away from the computer.

Thanks for all your input.  It's looking more like we'll try and do Barbecue Kitchen, assuming the flight is around schedule.  No need for unnecessary rush in the middle of a long trip, although Mary Mac's would be a good payoff.

For future reference, though, does anyone have any thoughts on Q's or Lunch on Main? 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/14 17:34:50 (permalink)
If you do not currently have expedited screening, I would look into the TSA Pre-Check program. That speeds the time through the security lanes considerably. Without so, you could be looking at 20 minutes or more going through security at ATL at a peak time of day.

With Pre-Check, an on-time arrival, and limited carry-on baggage, I would consider a three-and-a-half hour layover reasonable to get something close to the airport, but not to head to Atlanta. Personally, I found Barbecue Kitchen to be slightly above what you might otherwise find at the airport, but your experience may differ...or as they say, your mileage may vary. If Q's or Lunch on Main were equally close to Barbecue Kitchen, I would roll the dice and give one of them a try. You could find gold.
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2013/11/14 19:11:10 (permalink)
If you cant leave the airport there are a Bojangles,2 Five Guys Burgers,and 3 Popeye's Louisiana Kitchens scattered amongst the concourses. A mini roadtrip......
Oops I forgot to mention that The Varsity now has an outlet at Hartsfield.......
What'll ya have?What'll ya have? at Concourse F
post edited by chickenplucker - 2013/11/14 19:23:37
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1