Hot!5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
2008/02/28 17:07:10 (permalink)

5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking?

Would like an old fashioned Southern-style home cooked-type meal, not fast food, in late afternoon or early evening on a Saturday.

Can you please suggest a nice place at the airport or very close by? I tried the Roodfood search function and pulled up nothing near the airport.

The airport website lists something called Paschal's Southern Delights, which claims, "Beyond fast food, historic Paschal's prepares an unparalleled offering of 'down-home' southern cooking. From biscuits to barbeque, quality offerings are abundant."

Is this worth a stop?

Thank you in advance, everyone!

43 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 17:16:09 (permalink)
    I like Harold's BBQ ... But that place has been getting dissed a bit on this forum.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 17:16:46 (permalink)
    Mary Mac's is great. Take the Marta (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) downtown. Ask at the ticket seller how to get there. Marta goes right into the airport.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 17:41:05 (permalink)
    Unless you want to get Physically Ill, do not go to Harold's
    The Chopped Pork was RANCID when I was there 2 weeks ago.
    An excellent alternative is Daddy D'Z, just a few blocks from the King Memorial Marta Stop.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 18:01:15 (permalink)
    Voyageur,
    There's a place close to the airport that ought to fill the bill... it's The Barbecue Kitchen at 1437 Virginia Avenue, just west of the airport heading toward College Park... in fact, it's just inside the College Park city limits!
    There are an inordinate number of decent Roadfoodable places along Virginia Avenue, but quite a few of them are breakfast-and-lunch places aimed at the workers at the airport. This place stays open until 8:00 P. M. or thereabouts. You can call them at (404) 766-9906 to verify their hours.
    I've eaten there several times over the years, with the last time being a couple of years ago. I've never been disappointed. I don't think they take credit cards, though, so bring green money.
    Let us know what you find.
    Relatively Closely, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, 75 miles or so east of there.
    P. S. Paschall's is indeed a treat, but it's about 10 to 12 miles from the airport on Northside Drive near M. L. K., just west of downtown. -- I could make other recommendations, but this is my prime choice both geographically and gastronomically.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 18:22:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Mary Mac's is great. Take the Marta (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) downtown. Ask at the ticket seller how to get there. Marta goes right into the airport.

I didn't know about MARTA ... I would have suggested Mary Macs.

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 22:16:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
    quote:
    Marta goes right into the airport.
    I didn't know about MARTA ... I would have suggested Mary Macs.

Dearfolk,
    The only wrinkle is this: the MARTA rapid train has no stop near Mary Mac's. The least distance a person would have to walk would be six or seven blocks. That's why I suggested the BBQ Kitchen.
    For that matter, one can take the train to Lenox Square and visit one of several restaurants in there. The connections are a bit tricky in any event.
    Enjoy yourself in Atlanta. It's beginning to warm up down here; the dogwoods will be beginning to bloom on Brewer Boulevard in a few weeks.
    Unthawingly, Tired-Of-Winter Ort. Carlton in Relatively Warm and Safe Athens, Georgia.
    laytonj1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/28 23:03:58 (permalink)
    Isn't there a Paschal's in the Atlanta airport terminal? I could have sworn there was and it was really good.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 06:54:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Voyageur,
    P. S. Paschal's is indeed a treat, but it's about 10 to 12 miles from the airport on Northside Drive near M. L. K., just west of downtown......

There are actually 2 Paschall's in the airport. There is a sit down Paschal's restuarant and bar in terminal C and a cafeteria line type operation in a food court in terminal A. Neither is as good as the original downtown, but are OK if stuck in the airport. Both have an abreviated menu and the food court operation is paper plates with plastic tableware. You can get the basics like fryed chicken, smothered pork chops, collard greens.. etc.

http://www.paschalsrestaurant.com/page4.htm
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 07:25:44 (permalink)
    V - your visiting hours preclude many of the southern food places, so I'd go with Mary Mac's - a few block walk from the North Ave. MARTA stop.
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 09:25:50 (permalink)
    I'll add to the chorus for Mary Mac's.

I was able to take the MARTA downtown (can't remember the name of the station, but it was about a ten minute walk), enjoy an early dinner and get back in time for my flight, all on a three hour layover.

When you consider that it was my first time in Atlanta and I didn't know my way around, you should have no trouble with five hours to work with.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 11:00:55 (permalink)
    Thank you, everyone!!!

It's going to be hard to choose. The choice may come down to how heavy is the carry on luggage I'm taking.

However, it looks as if traveling on a frequent flyer ticket and thus having to have a 5 hour stopover (with no earlier connection to stand by for) is going to have a silver lining.

Note to Ort. Carlton: My late Aunt Myrtle, whose maiden name I forget, was from Athens, GA. This dear lady had an immense influence on my mom's cooking and my tastes in food. If my aunt was a typical example of what comes out of the kitchens of Athens, you are one lucky person!

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 14:45:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Voyageur

Thank you, everyone!!!

It's going to be hard to choose. The choice may come down to how heavy is the carry on luggage I'm taking.

However, it looks as if traveling on a frequent flyer ticket and thus having to have a 5 hour stopover (with no earlier connection to stand by for) is going to have a silver lining.

Note to Ort. Carlton: My late Aunt Myrtle, whose maiden name I forget, was from Athens, GA. This dear lady had an immense influence on my mom's cooking and my tastes in food. If my aunt was a typical example of what comes out of the kitchens of Athens, you are one lucky person!

Atlanta airport may have storage lockers for your carry on bag.

Anybody know for sure?

I see them at many airports, even post-9/11, I just don't remember where.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 15:30:15 (permalink)
    quote:

Thank you, everyone!!!

During the day, Marta has a rail leaving the airport about every ten minutes. Downtown by rail is cheap. I believe about $3.50 round trip. Your biggest hassel is getting back into the airport. Obviously you know enough about that but you have to allow enough time. Five hours sounds like a lot but getting out of the airport, waiting for the train, getting there, dining and getting back and getting checked back in is a bit of a hassel.

Pascal's at the airport may not be a bad option. Most of the time when I am in ATL, I get some Popeye's chicken. That has always worked for me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 15:41:04 (permalink)
    You know, you'd need a car (I think) but the Dwarf House, the original location of what became Chick-Fil-A, is near ATL. The only CFA where you can get a hamburger.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 19:06:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Voyageur,
    Thanks; it's totally true!
    The only Myrtle I remember used to work at a sundry shop in Normal Town named Cody David's.
    There is a street named Myrtle Court, though, so doubtless there are/were other Myrtles around... crepe and otherwise.
    Honestly, I have yet to try 2/3 of the restaurants that have been recommended to me. That's why I keep telling everyone to stay tuned; I'll get there eventually.
    Only Semi-Barnacled, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, which is noplace for a van with a slipppppping transmission!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 19:10:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    quote:
    quote:
    The only wrinkle is this: the MARTA rapid train has no stop near Mary Mac's.

Dearfolk,
    I stand (well, I'm sitting at present!) corrected!! You know, I've never had occasion to take the train uptown, so I went on assumption, which is (as a few of you know) a Parish in Louisiana.
    The distance to walk is way less than I visualized. Maybe I need my glasses changed.
    Myopically, Four-Eyed Ort. Carlton in Out-Of-Focus Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/02/29 19:14:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:
    Atlanta airport may have storage lockers for your carry on bag.

Dearfolk,
    Don't buzzards and vultures have carrion luggage?
    Flapping In The Breeze, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.
    P. S. Yes, there are lockers someplace at the Atlanta Airport. You may have to ask about and have your bag x-rayed to make sure it isn't a bomb (mine would contain marshmallows!). -- Here's hoping you enjoy your sojourn to Atlanta, no matter how brief.
    vwgto
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/01 15:49:58 (permalink)
    Another vote for Mary Mac's for food and atmosphere. As mentioned, North Avenue stop and then 3-4 blocks in a relatively nice/safe part of town. Could always check your bag so you don't need to bother with it. Folks with luggage are common on the train, but not walking in that area...
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/01 16:50:25 (permalink)
    Thank you again, everyone!

Looked through the Mary Mac dinner menu yesterday and fell in love at first sight. They say it's still 1945 in that kitchen and that sounds good to me.

Considering:
    Fried Green Tomatoes served
    with a parmesan horseradish dipping sauce
    Roast Turkey with cornbread dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce
    Sweet Potato Soufflé
    Green Beans (Southern-style, of course)
    Pecan Pie

Would love to order an even richer meal, but am going to be sitting on a nearly 4-hour flight to Mexico City.

May try to order a Pepsi in Atlanta just to be ornery!

If at all possible, with the arrival plane on time and with a little injury on ice not acting up, will try to make it there. If not this time, then the next. Will try the others, except the one wanderingjew warned about, in the future also. Thank you.

If there's not enough time for Mary's on this trip, will probably end up at one of the airport's Paschall's. IMO, Popeye's chicken is heavenly flavored differently in the Deep South, but satisfied that desire on an earlier trip. Its biscuits are what I love most.

Noticed the famous Varsity was near Mary Mac's Metro stop. Hopefully, will have a chance to peak in on it too.

Thanks again!

http://www.marymacs.com/Portals/0/menus/marymacs_menu_dinner.pdf (slow to open pdf file of evening menu)

http://www.marymacs.com/ (home page)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/01 17:18:20 (permalink)
    Mary Mac' is a fine choice
    I was there way back in 1994 when I was in Atlanta visiting friends..
    I hope it's as good as I remember it!
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/01 17:58:49 (permalink)
    Mary Mac's is a fine choice, if you have enough time. My first thought, when I read your original question, was Paschal's at the airport. It is certainly a cut above most of the airport options.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/04 16:59:28 (permalink)
    Taking the MARTA train into Atlanta is the only way to go. You could stop at the Peachtree Center stop. Not much in the way of Roadfood joints there, but you do have the revolving rooftop bars--one at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza and the other, older one at the Hyatt Regency--the venerable Polaris Room.

At the North Ave Stop, you could walk to Baraonda's for Italian or the Spotted Dog, a good local British pub.

If you go on to Lenox Square, you could get a great meal at Prime--a steakhouse and sushi restaurant in the Mall itself. You could also have a nice lunch in the basement of Neiman Marcus's recently remodled restaurant. Used to be called the Zodiac Room, now called something else.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/04 17:45:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

Taking the MARTA train into Atlanta is the only way to go. You could stop at the Peachtree Center stop. Not much in the way of Roadfood joints there, but you do have the revolving rooftop bars--one at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza and the other, older one at the Hyatt Regency--the venerable Polaris Room.

At the North Ave Stop, you could walk to Baraonda's for Italian or the Spotted Dog, a good local British pub.

If you go on to Lenox Square, you could get a great meal at Prime--a steakhouse and sushi restaurant in the Mall itself. You could also have a nice lunch in the basement of Neiman Marcus's recently remodled restaurant. Used to be called the Zodiac Room, now called something else.

As much as you're trying to push non regional fare in both Atlanta and Birmingham, I think said poster specifically requested "an old fashioned southern-style home cooked-type meal"
    SouthernMama
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/11 01:11:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nancypalooza

You know, you'd need a car (I think) but the Dwarf House, the original location of what became Chick-Fil-A, is near ATL. The only CFA where you can get a hamburger.

There are actually about 10 or so Dwarf Houses around Atlanta as well as 2 Truett's Grill's that offer hamburgers ans well as ribeye steaks, hotbrowns and vegetables. The Truett's Grills, one in Morrow which is just south of the airport and one in McDonough are along the lines of an old timey diner with antique cars in the parking lot and a juke box inside.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/13 16:13:14 (permalink)
    Hey everyone. Thank you again for all of your suggestions!

Due to bad weather at so many airports last Saturday, flights into Atlanta were severely disrupted and I didn’t have time to visit Mary Mac's. However, I frequently travel Delta and look forward to enjoying Mary’s and your other suggestions on future trips.

With limited time, I settled for the full service version of Paschal's in Terminal C.

With the right operator restoring quality, Paschal's could easily become a destination airport venue. Not much needs to done.

The décor is really nice. The wait staff is warm, efficient, and professional. The location great. It’s just the food that has obviously slipped from what Paschal's must have been.

I ordered catfish, which came with a salad and two sides.

The lettuce in the surprisingly large garden salad was aged beyond the point where it should have been served, but not brown.

The tiny muffins that came with the meal were warm and delicious. Sadly, they came with margarine. The side of macaroni and cheese tasted all right and hadn’t come from a Kraft-like powdered mix, but was nearly cold. The canned green beans were okay.

The catfish? There was no discernable flavor other than garlic.

No dessert.

Again, I very much appreciate all your suggestions. Although disappointed to miss Mary Mac's, I enjoyed visiting a restaurant like Paschal's with so much potential to turnaround quickly. At the right price, it would be a fantastic deal for someone.

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/16 18:14:28 (permalink)
    Just got back from a week in Atlanta. I went to both Mary Mac's and Agnes and Muriel's (1516 Monroe near Piedmont Ave). I enjoyed both but the food at A and M's was much better, especially the fried chicken. Mary Mac's has that genteel-been-there-forever atmosphere, which was great and the bread basket with cornbread, yeast rolls, and cinnamon rolls a nice extra touch. However, A and M's is an absolute campy hoot.

http://mominthekitchen.com/

P.S. Enjoyed the onion rings at the Varsity too.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/16 22:50:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Extreme Glow
    Just got back from a week in Atlanta. I went to both Mary Mac's and Agnes and Muriel's (1516 Monroe near Piedmont Ave).

ExtremeGlow,
    You've just turned me on to a new-to-me restaurant. Sounds like I've gotta try it... campy, eh? Whoa, nellie!
    My only disappointment is this: you drove straight down Monroe Drive (or so it seems) and passed right by one of Atlanta's GREAT Roadfood destinations, The Silver Grill at 900 Monroe.
    Next time, go there as well. Just don't make a joke about their serving lint sandwiches from Sig Samuels' Cleaners next door... leave that for me to do!
    It's on the corner of 8th. Street, right next to Grady High School's campus.
    Homesickly (I MISS Atlanta!), Ort. Carlton, Semi-Barnacled in Nearby Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/16 22:56:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SouthernMama
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nancypalooza
    There are actually about 10 or so Dwarf Houses around Atlanta....

SouthernMama,
    Do they all have those little bitty doors? Gad, I have a hard time contorturing myself through there... oooooof.
    Giving The Real Skinny (And It Ain't Me!), Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The original Dwarf House is a great excuse for someone to venture to Hapeville and watch all the trains come chugging down the Central Of Georgia track out front! By the way, that railroad track is the divide between water flowing to the Gulf Of Mexico (via the Flint River) and to the Atlantic Ocean (via the South River)... I betcha didn't know that!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 5+ hours Atlanta Airport: Southern home cooking? 2008/03/16 23:01:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Voyageur,
    Now I'm gonna have to visit the main Paschall's on Northside Drive to see how their cooking is. I'm willing to bet plenty of zlotys that you'd have fared (no pun intended) far better had you been able to make it there.
    At least the tornado yesterday didn't take it out... it sure hit Cabbagetown (near the easily Googleable intersection of Memorial Drive and Boulevard, S/E) and Kirkwood (east of there) and East Atlanta (past that) hard. I wonder how Six Feet Under and Daddy D'z fared....
    Undamagedly, Ort. Carlton in Stormless Athens, Georgia.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1