50 State Road Trip

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 19:02:29 (permalink)
ayersian

BackRhodes
Tune in your TV to popular food programs, such as: DDD, Food Wars, Man vs Food, etc

more often than not, they find some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area -- but certainly not regionally specific.  For your money -- and to maximize the correct food experiences that each state has to offer -- stick with Roadfood: the website, the books, and this very forum.

Once you decide on a route to take, post it here and the community will put in their two cents on places to eat.  And don't forget Route 66, especially the NM and AZ stretches.  This is as much your own trip as it is your daughter's!    Chris

Who is appointed to administer this burdonsome responsibility to determine the CORRECT FOOD EXPERIENCE...???  I can't believe you actually said that...Thank GOD we're not constrained by such notions in my neck of the woods...

There sure isn't anything wrong with  "some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area" ... In fact, in THIS part of the country they ARE  "regionally specific"...

I find it amazing that some folks here come off as food snobs...  (wow)

Perhaps it's because there aren't that many good taqueria's "back east" in MA...???
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/08/29 19:07:52
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 19:15:53 (permalink)
BackRhodes

ayersian

BackRhodes
Tune in your TV to popular food programs, such as: DDD, Food Wars, Man vs Food, etc

more often than not, they find some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area -- but certainly not regionally specific.  For your money -- and to maximize the correct food experiences that each state has to offer -- stick with Roadfood: the website, the books, and this very forum.

Once you decide on a route to take, post it here and the community will put in their two cents on places to eat.  And don't forget Route 66, especially the NM and AZ stretches.  This is as much your own trip as it is your daughter's!    Chris

Who is appointed to administer this burdonsome responsibility to determine the CORRECT FOOD EXPERIENCE...???  I can't believe you actually said that...Thank GOD we're not constrained by such notions in my neck of the woods...

There sure isn't anything wrong with  "some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area" ... In fact, in THIS part of the country they ARE  "regionally specific"...

I find it amazing that some folks here come off as food snobs...  (wow)

Perhaps it's because there aren't that many good taqueria's "back east" in MA...???

Ayersian was responding specifically to what PNWChef was looking for

Here is the quote: 
" I want to show my 11 yr old, the true foods of each area, a good example would be Maine Lobster in Maine, Ipswich fried clams in Mass, Texas BBQ, Louisiana Crab and crawdad boil, NY Pizza and Delis in NYC, Maryland Crabs  Hot dogs in NJ"

Now here's my side of the story...

One upon the time, there were two authors, Jane and Michael Stern. Before there was ever such a thing called the internet, they wrote books about Roadfood- back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. In fact in many of their books they specificially mentioned that their books were about regional food- whether it was a roadside stand in Georgia selling boiled peanuts or Joe's Stone Crab in Miami where a meal will easily cost $100 a person ....

Many will disagree (Ayersian included) but the majority of posters on the forum are completely unaware that the Stern's wrote books prior to theRoadfood website- in fact it was just a couple of months ago that a poster had inquired "what are Sterns books?" I kid you not- but this is the norm rather than the exception.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 19:22:37 (permalink)
joerogo

I wonder how many "normal" people this would feed...???

It looks tasty Joe, but I think I'd need an extra large doggie bag...

I'm surprized Adam doesn't weigh twice as much as he does...perhaps after stuffing himself he doesn't eat for the next two days...???

I suspect Guy works out to keep the weight off...I wonder IF he's an Aries, which might account for his approach with vim & vigor...???

PS...speaking of talking heads on TV...I vote Claire Robeson (5 Ingredient Fix) the best looking cook on TV..wow, such a smile (she's bright and warm)...
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 19:29:23 (permalink)
I confess I've not heard of the Sterns books...so maybe I'm not a "true foodie" (whatever that is defined as)... but this is something I can live with...

But I DO partake of food, often...sometimes several times a day...and I even do it while on the road, whether in my jeep or in an EMD locomotive...and I suspect I'll still be on the lookout for food on a daily basis for the foreseeable future...

You might be similar...please pass the corned beef...and tabasco sauce...!!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6526
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 19:34:14 (permalink)
Foodbme

PNWCHEF:
While I admire your idea, I think a kid needs to be a little older to understand and appreciate an adventure like you plan. In my case, I was 13 when I took a three week train trip across the country, NY to CA and back. The Northern route out, southern route back. Saw a lot of America with frequent sightseeing stops along the way. I don't remember much of the trip in any detail.
We took our kids on extensive Roadtrips between 1st & 8th grades and they don't remember too many details. Granted, we didn't require them to keep a log, but we do have tons of pictures which they don't recognize.
If I were to do it given your daughters age, I would just go to the major highlight places in our country like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Washington D.C., Salt Lake City, Austin, Niagra Falls, Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam,  etc. Chances are she'll remember those places given her age. Then I'd take annual regional tours every summer to get into the heart of America and cap it off with a fully paid vacation of 1 year when she graduates from College. All of this is dependent of you being ol' Daddy Warbucks!

Hey Foodbme

Wasnt the Grand Canyon just a crack back then?? or Niagra Falls just a little meandering stream, or Mt Rushmore just a plain old hill.....

Just kidding ya!  I had to do it honest I had to.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 19:44:19 (permalink)
heh heh

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 19:54:40 (permalink)
Littleman

Here's some good joint's to visit on I 10 between LA and FL.  Good luck.

Now THAT's a hell of a list...probably take a year to eat through that many places...

You wouldn't perhaps be able to do a similar list for San Diego to Louisianna...???

If'n you (or anybody else) can it would be appreciated...
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 20:05:59 (permalink)
BackRhodes

I confess I've not heard of the Sterns books...so maybe I'm not a "true foodie" (whatever that is defined as)... but this is something I can live with...

But I DO partake of food, often...sometimes several times a day...and I even do it while on the road, whether in my jeep or in an EMD locomotive...and I suspect I'll still be on the lookout for food on a daily basis for the foreseeable future...

You might be similar...please pass the corned beef...and tabasco sauce...!!!

Roadfood as defined by RF.com

Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.
It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.
Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.

It is our intention that Roadfood.com will lead the way to:
  • great local color
  • the best regional specialties
  • unforgettable diners, celestial barbecue, and four-star pig-outs galore!

To that end each and everyone of us interprets this definition differently.

Some are more stringent than others, but everyone is entitled to their own unique interpretation
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 20:40:27 (permalink)
cajunking everyone is entitled to their own unique interpretation

I agree Cajun...it's just when somebody jumps up and says "CORRECT" it gets me to wondering...while I freely admit that some regions are KNOWN FOR SPECIALTIES...I'm way too much of a hard drivin' REBEL to ever heed that word "Correct"...that's like saying there is a "Correct" food for the Napa Valley, a "Correct" food for El Paso, a "Correct" food for Reno, etc...I imagine that being so correct is a tough burdon to shoulder...

And as we say in the railroad biz: "It's time for 'beans' "  (beans is RR slang for any and all meals)...

I expect to get the grill fired up here directly...nothing fancy...just a giant burger with bbq sauce and tobasco...and a nice sunset as the sun once again dips into the Pacific Ocean as the Dragon Flies come out to eat skeeters...

(Life IS Good) 
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/08/29 20:43:41
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 21:18:46 (permalink)
I may be the only person to defend Man Vs food here but i generally like the show, especially the parts that talk about other restaurants and are not part of the food challenge. I like his new show where some other sucker besides Adam does the challenge and he talks about restaurants. he also does like to eat healthy when he's not doing the food challenges.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 22:32:30 (permalink)
Was Adam also the guy on HOTS (Ham On The Street)...???

One of the places I want to check out are the 2 hot dog places next to each other in Chicago that were featured on a Food Wars episode that the dark haired chick hosts...One has natural skins and the other was skinless...and the chili was decidedly different as well (according to the TV show)

Most of these food tv shows do have a gimmick component...some are better than others...

My future food safari will be location & menu driven...and so in starting the thought process I bought two of Guy Fieri's DDD books, but was disappointed that there weren't more places listed...

But they DO give a starting point...

totillie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/30 00:33:48 (permalink)
The Ham On The Street host was George Duran...

PNWChef, I think that your idea is marvelous, just as long as you can do the schooling thing. I hope that you can execute it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/30 01:14:51 (permalink)
CajunKing
Foodbme
PNWCHEF:
While I admire your idea, I think a kid needs to be a little older to understand and appreciate an adventure like you plan. In my case, I was 13 when I took a three week train trip across the country, NY to CA and back. The Northern route out, southern route back. Saw a lot of America with frequent sightseeing stops along the way. I don't remember much of the trip in any detail.
We took our kids on extensive Roadtrips between 1st & 8th grades and they don't remember too many details. Granted, we didn't require them to keep a log, but we do have tons of pictures which they don't recognize.
If I were to do it given your daughters age, I would just go to the major highlight places in our country like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Washington D.C., Salt Lake City, Austin, Niagra Falls, Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam,  etc. Chances are she'll remember those places given her age. Then I'd take annual regional tours every summer to get into the heart of America and cap it off with a fully paid vacation of 1 year when she graduates from College. All of this is dependent of you being ol' Daddy Warbucks!

Hey Foodbme
Wasnt the Grand Canyon just a crack back then?? or Niagra Falls just a little meandering stream, or Mt Rushmore just a plain old hill.....

Just kidding ya!  I had to do it honest I had to.

That's OK. I still Luv Ya!
The biggest problem gettin' there was fightin' off the Indians and keepin' the wheels on the wagon.
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/30 03:07:02 (permalink)
BackRhodes

One of the places I want to check out are the 2 hot dog places next to each other in Chicago that were featured on a Food Wars episode that the dark haired chick hosts...One has natural skins and the other was skinless...and the chili was decidedly different as well (according to the TV show) 

I think you're talking about Lafayette and American Coney, but those are actually in Detroit.  Definately destinations if in the Motor City however!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2518
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/30 16:28:13 (permalink)
The Logistics of setting up a trip like this is real important, thank you all for giving me  a few things to think about. One important area of concern is, make sure we don't rush through the Sates, It would be a shame to rush through New Orleans, Washington DC, New York City, All of New England and the Civil war areas. I am thinking of cutting this into 12 state segments so they can be enjoyed, leave open to stay longer in more interesting areas, not be so structured that plans can't change, and so on. The Culture changes so much in our country it would be a shame to do our Country an injustice by rushing through it. I have been a Chef for over 30 yrs, I enjoy and respect good food, regional food, and the hard working people that prepare it. I want my Little girl to taste the flavor's of our country, see how other people eat in our well diverse land.................Thanks pnwc

Joe, we need more info on the small snack you posted..........GGEEZZZZ no wonder why you can't find anyone to hav elunch with.
post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/08/30 17:01:26
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/30 17:05:50 (permalink)
If you're leaning that way PNWCHEF it sounds like a good idea (cutting it up).  I don't know about you but I have to be careful on a vacation to not attempt too much--it's like my brain hits novelty overload and I can't really accept any new information.  Doing what you're describing would provide years and years of mini-trips and that would be wonderful.

BackRhodes, don't let these boys around here pull you into the 'What is Roadfood' debate.  That's the forum equivalent of a snipe hunt.   Welcome!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 11:57:15 (permalink)
PNWCHEF, That pic was from a Harold's trip report with Baah Ben.  It was dubbed Mount Sinai.  

Now I'm making myself hungry, and I just had a Fat Bastard!

Oh, and whatever you decide to do, I can't wait to see the trip report.

Do you plan on stopping for a hot dog in NJ?

BackRhodes, Are you saying I ain't normal?  

post edited by joerogo - 2011/08/31 12:09:50
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 13:04:03 (permalink)
Hi Joe, I grew up in Bridgeport, Ct, I thought we had some great Hot dog stands. To me BPT was the place to buy a good dog, good chili or any dog with the works. After coming in here for a few yrs, I think NJ is the Hot Dog Capital of American. Not only does NJ have great dogs, they have the passion to go along with it, that says it all.............pnwc
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8330
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 13:53:44 (permalink)

post edited by mar52 - 2011/08/31 16:17:56
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18882
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/31 15:34:04 (permalink)
Boy, I don't know whether you're aware of this, but there's a state along the East Coast called Connecticut where I've heard they have some great places for hot dogs. Near Bridgeport, for instance, there's a place alled Merrit Canteen that's not too shabby.

Also to be found in Connecticut are things called lobster rolls. Now these aren't the lobster salad things one gets up in Maine or in New York. These are the real things, invented, so to speak, by a guy name Perry in Milford. Hot lobster pieces in butter and served on a hot dog bun -- usually a split-top bun that's been buttered and toasted.

And then there's this stuff known as apizza.  There used to be a great spot in that Bridgeport place that was called Jerry's, but as it's long gone you likely never heard of it. Still in existence, however in New Haven are a few great spots. There's Frank Pepe's, where every kid should get to burn his or her palate on a hot pie as I did when I was 4 years old (a little before the Stone Age). Close by is Sally's which was Frank Sinatra's favorite pizzeria, and has been run by cousins of mine since the the first half of the last century. And then there's a place called The Spot, which is now owned by Pepe's, but is stuill pretty great. Every little girl should get to have some of the Foxon Park soda at Pepe's.

All in all, I think you and your 11 year old will find Connecticut an interesting place with some pretty good regional specialties.

Have a grand time.

I'm expectting to be up there come October, so ...

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/08/31 15:36:38
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8659
Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/31 16:12:52 (permalink)
When I was age 4-12 years old we always( unknowingly a roadfood trip) took vacations for a month...before Dad had his PHd, he didnt work in the summer.They took us everywhere but west.I attended The worlds fair in New York, great memories, Williamsburg, Staten Island ferry; he taught at Miami of Ohio in one summer where I really learned to swim.My point is that after a month or two,as a young girl. I wanted to be home, in familiar territory.Ask your daughter, Bill. I applaud your thoughts on a major road trip( hope when you make it to Wisconsin we meet!)and great plans for keeping up with her classes( I know it is done often these days) But I guess my thought is to ask her,explaining everything she will have to along the way.No doubt you have, or will.Thinking back to my youth, if my parents explained what you are planning, I would say YES!
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 17:30:22 (permalink)
joerogo
BackRhodes, Are you saying I ain't normal?  

Joe, you're as normal as you feel...how ya feelin' lately...???  

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 17:55:55 (permalink)
Michael, Great to see you back, your right about Ct, I dream about the places you talk about. I think your spot on, I would throw in a few chilled plates of Cherry stone clams, maybe twin stuffed & Baked Lobsters, and I think I could eat Fried Clams in every New England State. Hope all is well, Oct will be  a nice time for you to travel back home. I still owe you a beer on the seawall.............
Ann, This trip is 100% taking my little girls wants, wishes and happiness into concern. I want this to be a great memory, not a nightmare. I bet you still remember the great times you spent with your family on those trips.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8659
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 18:09:02 (permalink)
Yes, I do, and whole heartidly support you. Life is an excellent teacher, and I am happy you and your wife be her teacher.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 18:21:43 (permalink)
I considered BOTH a food safari and a photo expedition...and it would be a good thing to both at once...

I have NO idea when I could actually pull it off...

But I think that for me I'd split up the country into zones, trying to take weather into account...

The map below is not a specific map, but just a general idea of the zones and time of year...

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 19:46:53 (permalink)
BackRhodes: you're missing my favorite places!

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 20:55:12 (permalink)
Of course I am...!!!

it's just a depiction of the general path, not a literal itinery map...

A literal map would have all sorts of zip zags, red stars for waypoints, some kind of icon for scenic places, another icon for food joints, and a few blobs of bbq sauce...

So Mar, what ARE your favorite places...???

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 21:06:51 (permalink)
Nancypalooza
BackRhodes, don't let these boys around here pull you into the 'What is Roadfood' debate.  That's the forum equivalent of a snipe hunt.   Welcome!

Yummmmmm Roasted Snipe, it is almost as good as pizza from Gary, Indiana
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Suggestions 2011/08/31 21:07:11 (permalink)
I just visited a bunch of them...

Spots in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, New Orleans, The Keys....

Not going to list names because they keep changing and there is a thread around here somewhere listing a few of them.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:Suggestions 2011/09/01 07:55:20 (permalink)
CajunKing

Nancypalooza

Yummmmmm Roasted Snipe, it is almost as good as pizza from Gary, Indiana

Hmmmm, It that a Southern thing?  I don't think we have snipes in NEPA.

I wonder how they would taste in a pot of sauce?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1