Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

50 State Road Trip

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
Re:Suggestions Thu, 09/1/11 9:35 AM (permalink)
Joe, you not only have snipe in Pennsylvania, I've hunted them there, and they're delicious. Your season usually opens around mid-October and continues through the end of November. As I recall, the daily bag limit of WIlson's snipe is eight birds.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
    Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/2/11 8:45 AM (permalink)
    Michael, there were less people around in the 1800's when you took the wagon train out to Ohio, I bet the hunting was good............

Michael Hoffman

Re:Suggestions Sat, 09/3/11 9:39 AM (permalink)
      PNWCHEF

Michael, there were less people around in the 1800's when you took the wagon train out to Ohio, I bet the hunting was good............

Now you know better than that. Don't forget, we used to go to Jerry's together, albeit in different years. Still Jerry's wasn't around when those wagon trains were running.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Suggestions Sat, 09/3/11 9:43 AM (permalink)
        PNWCHEF

Michael, Great to see you back, your right about Ct, I dream about the places you talk about. I think your spot on, I would throw in a few chilled plates of Cherry stone clams, maybe twin stuffed & Baked Lobsters, and I think I could eat Fried Clams in every New England State. Hope all is well, Oct will be  a nice time for you to travel back home. I still owe you a beer on the seawall.............

Ah, the twin-lobsters and clams were a foregone conclusion. And what about a softshell crab sandwich -- eyes and all?

I fully intend to get to that seawall on our trip. I sure wish Skippers was still there.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
          Re:Suggestions Sat, 09/3/11 11:49 AM (permalink)
          PNWCHEF, what mode of transportation? Did I miss an already stated means? Do you have a Motor Home? Have you figured out the approximate mileage?
          Within a 60 mile radius of Chubby's you have, Wash DC, Gettysburg, Baltimore, Harrisburg, Manassas, Anteitam, Camp David, the Pentagon, Annapolis, Harpers Ferry, and most important of all, the Utz Potato Chip factory!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
            Re:50 State Road Trip Sat, 09/3/11 11:57 AM (permalink)
            I forgot to add that once you get a little more east, there is a bunch of burger joints named 5 Guys, I have no idea why the place hasen't been reviewd here!
            If you take a Motor Home are you going to bring an Orion Cooker??

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
              Re:50 State Road Trip Sat, 09/3/11 12:00 PM (permalink)
              5 Guys is now a national chain. Maybe that explains it.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                Re:50 State Road Trip Sat, 09/3/11 12:10 PM (permalink)
                5 guys was at one point reviewed here but the review was archived last year.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                  Re:50 State Road Trip Sat, 09/3/11 6:07 PM (permalink)
                  chewingthefat

I forgot to add that once you get a little more east, there is a bunch of burger joints named 5 Guys, I have no idea why the place hasen't been reviewd here!

Hi Tom, I would be using my SUV and Hotels. I also heard that hamburger place sold, it's now called  Hoffmans 6 guys burgers. Michael will be the 6th guy making sure they don't press the heck out of the burger.................

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                    Re:Suggestions Sun, 09/4/11 5:19 AM (permalink)
                    mar52
                        I just visited a bunch of them...

Spots in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, New Orleans, The Keys....

Not going to list names because they keep changing and there is a thread around here somewhere listing a few of them.    

That's not entirely helpful...

The NAME of this thread is "Where Should I Eat?", right...???

How are we to KNOW unless you spill the (baked) beans...???

Are we to engage the services of a "food psychic" to ferret out  WHICH names in an as yet un-named thread...???

Why not just go ahead and name the names, without fear that the establishment might change names (we'll take our chances)...

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                      Re:Suggestions Sun, 09/4/11 1:33 PM (permalink)
                      oadfood works best if you look for the information prior to starting another thread.  I will find my links for you.

Here is one that should be incorprated in to my second thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Speaking-of-New-Mexico-and-The-Ranch-Kitchen-m656305.aspx

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Road-trip-taking-I40-east-and-other-places-m657646.aspx 

You need to do searches for the specifics that you want AND THEN ask if you don't find the answers of which you seek.

It keeps the price down on the operation of this board.

I think.  

Michael Hoffman

Re:50 State Road Trip Sun, 09/4/11 6:56 PM (permalink)
                        PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Hi Tom, I would be using my SUV and Hotels. I also heard that hamburger place sold, it's now called  Hoffmans 6 guys burgers. Michael will be the 6th guy making sure they don't press the heck out of the burger.................

And don't you forget it!

BackRhodes

Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 2:29 AM (permalink)
                          mar52
                                 oadfood works best if you look for the information prior to starting another thread.  I will find my links for you.

Here is one that should be incorprated in to my second thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Speaking-of-New-Mexico-and-The-Ranch-Kitchen-m656305.aspx

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Road-trip-taking-I40-east-and-other-places-m657646.aspx 

You need to do searches for the specifics that you want AND THEN ask if you don't find the answers of which you seek.

It keeps the price down on the operation of this board.

I think.       

Huh...???
                          Uh...we're not STARTING a new thread, just asking you within THIS existing thread  ( Where Should I Eat? )   ...

I've never known a BBS to incur additional costs because somebody posted in an appropriate thread...that just doesn't make sense (I'm a former Sysop)...and yeah, NOT posting the name of places you've been to in a thread named "Where Should I Eat" seems counter productive to me...but that's just my opinion...

Thank you for posting the links to what you wrote previously...

(it's all about sharing useful information)...

BackRhodes

Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 2:38 AM (permalink)
                            Thursday night I think I'll eat at Hamburger Ranch & Pasta Farm (& BBQ) in the north end of Cloverdale (northern Sonoma County) at the junction of Business Loop US Hwy 101 & Calif Hwy 128 (westbound to Yorkville, Boonville, & Navarro)...

Either that or Catelli's in Geyserville (northern Sonoma County)...

mar52

Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
                              BackRhodes:  Hang around awhile and you'll get a feel for the way things work.  Just trying to help.

My threads were written in July and it's hardly September now.  I'm hoping that most reading this thread also read mine... why repeat it?

I'm not trying to give you a difficult time, but you come off to me as a bit insulting in some of your threads:

That's not entirely helpful...

The NAME of this thread is "Where Should I Eat?", right...???

How are we to KNOW unless you spill the (baked) beans...???

Are we to engage the services of a "food psychic" to ferret out  WHICH names in an as yet un-named thread...???

Why not just go ahead and name the names, without fear that the establishment might change names (we'll take our chances)...

or

Who is appointed to administer this burdonsome responsibility to determine the CORRECT FOOD EXPERIENCE...???  I can't believe you actually said that...Thank GOD we're not constrained by such notions in my neck of the woods...

There sure isn't anything wrong with  "some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area" ... In fact, in THIS part of the country they ARE  "regionally specific"...

I find it amazing that some folks here come off as food snobs...  (wow)

Perhaps it's because there aren't that many good taqueria's "back east" in MA...???

You were referring to Ayersian on the latter quote.

Go to the home page, right side column where it says STARTING POINTS.  Under that heading it says Meet the Roadfood Team.

That's where you'll see that Ayersian does indeed leave Massachusetts.

Again, I'm trying to help. 

Roadfood is a great board with great people, each with their own opinions and restaurant histories.  Enjoy it for what it is, snobs and all.  Usually here the snobs have eaten at more restaurants than you could ever dream of.  Ignore the snobbery and listen to what they preach.

My apology to all if this doesn't sound right.  I'm two weeks in to a major thyroid med change which affects my mood.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 3:31 PM (permalink)
                                mood swings are a bitch.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                  Mar-your post is fine...

BackRhodes

Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Mar...it's perhaps a matter of style...

Yes, I've already read Starting Points...

That said, I still feel that a pronouncement of what is "Correct" and what isn't to be BS...I get awfully tired of pronouncements of what is correct and what isn't, flat and simple...

And yes, I still think that to not name place names in a thread titled "Where should I eat" to be un-informative and a bit coy...you're assuming that a person has read your other posts located elsewhere, which might not be the case at all...

Can you see how a person might wonder in a thread why you say you've been to great places but are not naming them (without knowing that you've posted elsewhere)...???

I assume just the opposite and try to add as much info as I can...I would not dare to assume that a person has read any of my other posts...it's just not realistic in my opinion...

I don't mean to be insulting...I'm a railroad worker, rancher, and redneck and am a straight shootin' no BS kind of guy...hang around long enough you might see my humor (your results may vary, some settling will occur during shipping, not available in all states)...

Hope you feel better...

mar52

Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks, BR...  I also don't believe there's a Correct in opinion.

At this moment I have no television reception due to inept painters who moved the antenna coming in to my townhouse.

I'm not a happy person.  Grrrr

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                        Re:Suggestions Wed, 09/7/11 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                        I just wish I could post links to my trip report.

BackRhodes

Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                          Mar..hopefully you have TV now...kinda quaint to have a rooftop antenna huh...???  At least in the urban areas you might have more than 1 digital tv signal signal stream to choose from...(I get whatever Dishnet acquires, no secondary signal stream)...

Chips...why not able to link...???  Are the trip reports on this or another webby site...???  have you tried to just enter the URL in the text of a msg...??? 

Lets try an experimant:   www.pacificsites.com/~tubbytunes   

OK...just as soon as I added a SPACE to the end of the above URL it became a "clickable"...  Try it and see IF it works for you...

108.9* today with thunderheads...I waiting for my grill to be in the shade...too hot to grill in the direct sun...

mar52

Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                            BR:  Hope it cools down for you soon.  It's supposed to break here today.  I don't feel it as the Marina never got too hot.

I'm back to having all broadcast stations except for NBC.  Can't afford cable or Dish or eating.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                              mar52

BR:  Hope it cools down for you soon.  It's supposed to break here today.  I don't feel it as the Marina never got too hot.

I'm back to having all broadcast stations except for NBC.  Can't afford cable or Dish or eating.

Mar - I gave up eating to get my cable back, I live behind a hill and couldnt get ANYTHING on rabbit ears.

mar52

Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                                CajunKing:  I ate the rabbit.

Did I mention that I'm glad to see you back here?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 9:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  mar52

CajunKing:  I ate the rabbit.

Did I mention that I'm glad to see you back here?

I love me some roasted rabbit!!
                                                  It's good to be back!

BackRhodes

• Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                    Re:Suggestions Fri, 09/9/11 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    The wabbit kicked the bucket...the wabbit kicked the bucket...!  (sorry Warner Bros)

I considered giving up eating, but I just don't have the will power...in fact, I predict I'll eat again later today...I think it's going to be another "super burger" on the grill...

This is looking east this afternoon...the clouds are dissapating at this time...

My cat is not happy I turned the mist nozzles on, on my porch today, but I does offer me some relief...

Just about time to fire up the grill...

For MANY years I cooked outdoors cowboy style with oak wood, but this new fangled gas grill sure is convenient, even if it lacks the soulful satisfaction of building a wood fire...which is too dangerous now (we have Red Flag warnings)
                                                    <message edited by BackRhodes on Fri, 09/9/11 9:54 PM>

rackem

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      Re:Suggestions Tue, 09/13/11 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      If you're in Mississippi I'd stop by columbia and go to www.twobrothersgrill.com

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                        • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                        Re:Suggestions Tue, 09/13/11 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        Are you Long John????? Beautiful photos-but if you arent, who are you?

BackRhodes

• Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                          Re:Suggestions Tue, 09/13/11 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          Thanks...glad you like the photo...Wild turkeys, Falcons, Red Tails, Bears, Mtn Lions, Deer...the ecosystem is still intact here...

This area IS very photogenic...at night it's pitch black and silent as a funeral parlor...lots of old native spirits in this area...during the 1800's the Mendocino Rangers were PAID by the State Of California to kill Indians...we have petroglyphs nearby...and yes, that's me...Long John is my "radio name"...I'm a (part time) broadcaster, and I proactively copyright ALL photo's...

My Jeep Cherokee needs mechanical work before I can hit the road again, in search of food and photo's, so I create photo's in my local area until then...and today I need to do more video editing...

What will dinner be tonight...???

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Suggestions Tue, 09/13/11 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            Long John as a Radio name? It was always a good one for Long John Nebel during his career as a broadcaster in that minor market known as New York. I trust you waited till after he died before assuming it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com