50 State Road Trip

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2519
2011/08/28 14:29:54 (permalink)

50 State Road Trip

I'm looking into the feasibility of talking my little 11 yr old on a 50 State road trip. We will visit the Capitals of each state, sample the regional food of each area, learn the culture of each area, visit any national parks/ Museums and so on. Examples are places like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Historical points in the South, a good amount of time in Washington DC, and so on. I will be starting from the State Capital in Washington State traveling to Or, Cali, Az, NM, Ok,Tx,Ark, and La.  through the South and then up the Atlantic coast up into New England, then back through the Midwest. The logistics in planning this size of trip will be something else. I want to show my 11 yr old, the true foods of each area, a good example would be Maine Lobster in Maine, Ipswich fried clams in Mass, Texas BBQ, Louisiana Crab and crawdad boil, NY Pizza and Delis in NYC, Maryland Crabs (Chubby's BBQ) Hot dogs in NJ, basically the best each State is know for. I plan to have my little girl blog her adventure with her 5th grade class, to keep them updated on this trip with pictures and what she did in each State..............All help in Logistics, places not to miss on this trip will be helpful. Roadfood has been a wonderful help to me and my family in the past. We have members from all over America, it would be great to hear from you all on what we should look forward to in your State....................Thanks for the Help..................pnwchef
P.S. it would be great for my little girl to meet Tom at Chubby's BBQ in Maryland, he would have a lot of stories with him being a young lad in the civil war..........

post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/08/28 18:29:50

94 Replies Related Threads

HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 15:46:09 (permalink)
    It is a great idea. How long will it take to go to all 50?
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 17:00:19 (permalink)
    50 or 48 state road trip? Makes a difference since if talking driving it would be difficult to do 50 in one single trip. You can Google - 48 state road trip - and get all kinds of hits on others that attempted driving it. Most try to do it efficiently. Hitting the state capitols would make it more difficult. We've had a Class B RV camper van for 6 years now and have put nearly 75,000 miles mostly non-freeway in and have hit but 41 states so far. We will fill in more this fall with a trip through the south and Florida. I think that will get us up to 45 leaving NH, VT and ME to go. And of course HI and AK. Pre-RV we've covered every place but Hawaii.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 18:07:06 (permalink)
    Definitely a reason to become an "Insider" and get access to "Roadfood-Offline". Over 1000 places listed there with reviews and some with web sites.. And I believe you can access it with mobile devices.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 19:06:35 (permalink)
    Breaking this up into units that an eleven year old can put into sequence or perspective that his mind can appreciate is a serious consideration.  I am sure you are looking at Summer Break from school as the travel time(s).
    As was mentioned before, the two "outer-units" Alaska and Hawaii will consume an inordinate amount of resources (travel money) compared to the " Lower 48". Make them a separate unit for a winter trip so he can make a good comparison of the two states.
      I have done 6-8 week long road trips thruout the USA during Summer...both with and without Kids. I seriously believe today's youth have a much shortly attention span for watching the endless mies of Kansas farmlands (example) or the eternal gridlock around the Nations Capital.

With that in Mind I seriously suggest breaking the Lower 48 into at least a two summer tour.  To help put things into perspective  Start with the Historic beginnings... New England, Mid-Atlantic, Washington DC, Coastal South and Gulf, Then up thru the Mississippi and Ohio Valley and Great Lakes...Then Home. (direct drive from WA to New England, and then from Chicago to WA State.)
    Second Tour would start in Chicago do IL, MO, Arkansas, and NOLA. Then across Texas to San Antonio, up to OK City, west thru Dodge City to Colorado Springs, down the Rio Grande to Las Cruces NM...West to Phoenix, San Diego and L A,  up the 15 to Vegas and the Utah National Parks, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. use U S 191 from Moab Utah to Yellowstone N P and follow the Lewis Clark Trail thru the Rockies to Washington again.
    2 Summers... 6-8 weeks each. As a former History and Government teacher, I have done this with jr high age boys of my own. 5 of 6 had a great time...the 6th buried himself in his videogames and walkman..hated to look outside at all and still is a pain in the butt about travel.
    Good Luck, and watch the kid(s) for signs of inattention that may be a rebellion in the making.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 19:22:08 (permalink)
    mayor al

Breaking this up into units that an eleven year old can put into sequence or perspective that his mind can appreciate is a serious consideration.  I am sure you are looking at Summer Break from school as the travel time(s).
    As was mentioned before, the two "outer-units" Alaska and Hawaii will consume an inordinate amount of resources (travel money) compared to the " Lower 48". Make them a separate unit for a winter trip so he can make a good comparison of the two states.
    I have done 6-8 week long road trips thruout the USA during Summer...both with and without Kids. I seriously believe today's youth have a much shortly attention span for watching the endless mies of Kansas farmlands (example) or the eternal gridlock around the Nations Capital.

With that in Mind I seriously suggest breaking the Lower 48 into at least a two summer tour.  To help put things into perspective  Start with the Historic beginnings... New England, Mid-Atlantic, Washington DC, Coastal South and Gulf, Then up thru the Mississippi and Ohio Valley and Great Lakes...Then Home. (direct drive from WA to New England, and then from Chicago to WA State.)
    Second Tour would start in Chicago do IL, MO, Arkansas, and NOLA. Then across Texas to San Antonio, up to OK City, west thru Dodge City to Colorado Springs, down the Rio Grande to Las Cruces NM...West to Phoenix, San Diego and L A,  up the 15 to Vegas and the Utah National Parks, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. use U S 191 from Moab Utah to Yellowstone N P and follow the Lewis Clark Trail thru the Rockies to Washington again.
    2 Summers... 6-8 weeks each. As a former History and Government teacher, I have done this with jr high age boys of my own. 5 of 6 had a great time...the 6th buried himself in his videogames and walkman..hated to look outside at all and still is a pain in the butt about travel.
    Good Luck, and watch the kid(s) for signs of inattention that may be a rebellion in the making.

Hi Al, first off, I hope you are doing well and had a great summer. The Hawaii trip is easy, we go to Hawaii every Christmas for two weeks. The Alaska deal could be done with a Cruise out of Seattle in the Summer. I like your idea of splitting it up, the lower 48 would take to long. I may look at doing 24 States March, April, May, then 24 States Sept, Oct, Nov..........I would take her out of School so I don't get into the summer months when everyone is traveling. It would be nice spending time in DC without the crowds..................Thanks
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6526
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 21:24:45 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Have you considered a historical division of the states.?  I mean like "revolutionary war states", "migration westward states" (OH, KY, TN, IN)
    "LA territory states"........

It would be a great way to learn and have fun doing it.  You could hit the capitols, but also major event locations (Gettysburg etc)

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/28 23:45:47 (permalink)
    I managed to visit all  47 of the 50 state capitals from 1975-78 when I went to grad school in the midwest. I think trying to do it all in one fell swoop is hard. I like your thinking.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 00:42:14 (permalink)
    Great Idea PNWCHEF...

I think the best way to KEEP your daughter mentally engaged on a potenrially long trip is to assign her the duty of keeping a log / journal, this way she has a personal stake in the trip and an ongoing responsibility. Take photo's to add to it. This can be the genesis of either a school report, an online review, or perhaps even a book...

I agree about going to areas during the off season in that lodging will be cheaper, but weather can be a consideration, and also remember that resort type places may not be running at full functionallity or capacity, which could translate to reduced kitchen staff or restricted menu selections...

If  it was me, I'd hit the southern states in the winter, and the northern states in the summer...

Did you mention what type of vehicle you're going in...???  A long trip can be a real pain in a small vehicle. An auto club membership with towing is suggested.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Suggestions 2011/08/29 01:19:34 (permalink)
    Might I suggest for a roadtrip: 

OR - Pacific City (on US Hwy 101) - Fast Freddies Fast Food
    OR - Klamath Falls - Elmers
    CA - Seiad (On Calif Hwy 96, Siskiyou Co) can't remember the name of the food place but this plavce is SO small it
    can't be hard to find...
    CA - Portola - Jimmie's Roadhouse 70
    CA - Truckee - Jax Diner
    CA - Oroville - Western Pacific Depot
    CA - Oroville - Gold City
    CA - Redding - Jack's Grill
    CA - Samoa (Humboldt Bay) - Samoa Cookhouse
    CA - Willits - Al's Redwood Room
    CA - Ukiah - Broiler Steakhouse (Uva Drive, north of town)
    CA - Occidental - Negri's
    CA - Berkeley - Top Dog
    CA - Emeryville - Meal Ticket
    CA - Hayward - Banchero's
    CA - Pacifica - Gorilla BBQ
    CA - Rio Vista - Fosters Big Horn
    CA - Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Diner
    CA - Yosemite - Ahwanee Hotel
    CA - Lone Pine - Seasons
    CA - Lone pine - Alabama Hills Cafe & Bakery
    CA - Death Valley - Furnace Creek Inn
    CA - Bishop - Schats's
    CA - Bishop - Whiskey Creek
    CA - Bishop - Mahogany Smoked Meats
    CA - Castroville - Central texas BBQ
    CA - Sonora - Doc's Texas BBQ
    CA - Yermo - Peggy Sue's
    CA - Los Angeles - Pink's
    CA - Venice - baby Blues BBQ
    CA - Eaglerock - Tankster
    CA - San Diego - Smokin' Joe's

(to be continued)
    post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/08/29 02:02:09
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 01:37:21 (permalink)
    I like the way you think.  The little one is a very lucky girl.

You need to organize!

CA - Bishop - Schatts's 

They have amazing jalapeno-cheese bread.  Get a couple to pull apart while driving.... texting is not allowed.

There is also a place that makes and sells jerkey in Bishop.  I don't remember the name.  Worth a stop.

I'm not a fan of Baby Blues in Venice.  They were good when they opened.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 02:00:26 (permalink)
    Eric Schat's is already on the list...

CA - Bishop - Mahogany Smoked Meats is th ejerky place
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 02:25:43 (permalink)
    Here's a few more suggestions:

TX - Lockhart - Blacks
    TX - Lockhart - Smitty's
    TX - Austin - Franklin BBQ Trailer
    TX - Austin - Muellers (reported to be back in business)
    TX - Austin - Gren Mesquite
    TX - Austin - The Salt Lick
    TX - Rosenburg - Bob's Taco Station & Shaved Ice
    OK - Norman - The Diner
    MO - Kansas City - Arther Bryants
    MO - Kansas City - Gates BBQ
    IL - Chicago - Fat Willy's BBQ Shack
    IL - Chicago - Twin Anchors
    IL - Chicago - Gene & Georgetti's
    IL - Murphysboro - Mike Mills 17th St BBQ

WANT MORE IDEAS...???

Tune in your TV to popular food programs, such as: DDD, Food Wars, Man vs Food, etc
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 03:41:51 (permalink)
    I take that crack about being related to Foodbme back.
    You are obviously littleman's long lost brother.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 08:27:24 (permalink)
    BackRhodes
    Tune in your TV to popular food programs, such as: DDD, Food Wars, Man vs Food, etc

PNWCHEF, if you really want to stick to regionally appropriate food, I wouldn't depend on those TV shows. They are all spotlighting restaurants with a certain TV-ready vibe, regardless of location.  Sure, they get it right sometimes (like Primanti's in Pittsburgh, et al.), but more often than not, they find some taco hut in the middle of nowhere that just happens to serve good food for that area -- but certainly not regionally specific.  For your money -- and to maximize the correct food experiences that each state has to offer -- stick with Roadfood: the website, the books, and this very forum.

Once you decide on a route to take, post it here and the community will put in their two cents on places to eat.  And don't forget Route 66, especially the NM and AZ stretches.  This is as much your own trip as it is your daughter's!    Chris
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 08:45:32 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

WANT MORE IDEAS...???

Ummm....

Man vs Food is an atrocity- It's everything that Roadfood Isn't  (and DDD isn't much better)

There used to be a a great show on the the Food Channel called "The Best Of- it probably hasn't been on in close to to ten years- that was what Roadfood was really all about. It's a shame that The Food Network doesn't really have anything like that on TV anymore- and you know- as much as I HATE Rachel Ray- her old show $40 a day was actually very similar

Not to toot my own horn- but look at all of my old trip reports if you're looking specifically for "regional" that's all I do..

Also to play Devil's advocate- I'll be the first to admit I love "jewish deli" but contemporarily speaking it's no longer where the locals eat- but don't let that deter you from going i'ts a great experience but keep in mind the majority of people there will be like you- out of towners and tourists-  if you're looking for what is real local  you're best bet are the latino restaurants in Spanish Harlem. The West African Restaurants in the Bronx and the Asian Restaurants around Flushing.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/08/29 09:08:27
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 09:39:24 (permalink)
    wanderingjew,

I 100% agree on Man vs Food.  Watching him stuff his face has nothing to do with RF. 

But I gotta part ways with you on Triple D.  The Pointy Haired Guy, as nauseating as he can be, has been spot on with the places I visited.    

And hey, toot your own horn!  You are one of the primary builders of this site.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 09:57:54 (permalink)
    I appreciate the thought, and it sounds terrific, but seriously?  Taking a 5th/6th grader out of school for 6 months to travel around the US to explore cultures and roadfood?  I really hope you think this over and consider the downsides, especially her missing the school year and possibly having to repeat.  At this point in her life, I think an school education is a little more important than an "educational" roadfood road-trip.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2011/08/29 10:17:56
    OxDawg
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 10:37:47 (permalink)
    In La. Try Robin's Restaurant and Pat's Fisherman's Wharf in Henderson, They are on the same road within 2 miles of each other off of I-10. In Georgia Atlanta has many places you can try. The Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge Road and Mary Mac's on Ponce de Leon are very good and offer good southern food. For a unique experience try the Varsity on North Ave. It is the world's largest drive inn and is an experience you will never forget. Be sure to try the onion rings and Chili dogs and frosted orange. About 40 miles from Atlanta off of I-20 in Social Circle is the Blue Willow Inn. Just out side of Covington on Hwy 36 is Henderson's Restaurant which specializes in Catfish but also has good southern food. On Wednesday night they have a Meat and 3 special for around 6 dollars. In the fall and winter they are famous for their chitterling suppers. Also in the Covington area are R.L.'s just off the square, Stalvey's on Hwy 278 and Mamie's Kitchen on the same road. If you like BBQ try Pippin's BBQ on the Covington Bypass road. Covington has been home to 3 prime television shows The first 5 episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard were filmed there in the 70's, In the Heat of The Night filmed there during the late 80's and early 90's and currently the Vampire Viaries is filming there. The nearby town of Oxford is the birthplace of Emory University and is currently the home of a 2 year division Emory.
    Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 10:47:40 (permalink)
    Here's some good joint's to visit on I 10 between LA and FL.  Good luck.

Get off the I 210 Bypass @ Exit 5 in Lake Charles, LA and go E on W College Street to Harlequin Steaks and Seafood for fine fresh seafood and good steaks.
    Harlequin's Steaks and Seafood @ 501 West College St., Lake Charles, LA 337 - 310 - 0077.
    http://harlequinsteaks.com/
    Get off I 10 @ Exit 64 in Jennings, LA and go S on Highway 26 to Frey's Crawfish House for good cajun food for lunch or dinner. They only serve dinner on T/F/S. Be sure to check their hours.
    Frey's Crawfish House @ 919A North Lake Arthur Ave., Jennings, LA 337 - 246 - 5023.
    http://freyscrawfish.com/
    Get off I 10 at Exit 82 and go N to Hawk's for fresh crawfish.
    Hawk's Crawfish @ 415 Hawks Road, Rayne, LA 337 - 788 - 3266.
    http://hawkscrawfish.com/home.htm
    Get off I 10 at Exit 101 in Lafayette, LA then go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go less than a mile to Creole Cafe for good country breakfast or plate lunch.
    Creole Cafe @ 1227 N. University Ave., Lafayette, LA 337 - 266 - 4648.
    Or get off I 10 at Exit 101 in Lafayette, LA and go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go S on University and it becomes W University. Take a right on Johsnton St. and go three blocks and take a right on W St. Mary Blvd.then go one block where you will find Old Thyme Grocery for good road food and the best po boys in LA.
    Old Tyme Grocery @ 218 West Saint Mary Blvd., Lafayette, LA 337 - 235 - 8165.
    Or get off I 10 in Lafayette, LA at Exit 101 and go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go S on University and it becomes W University then it becomes E University. Go to Pinhook and take a right then go about 6 blocks to Blue Dog Cafe for great road food.
    Blue Dog Cafe @ 1211 West Pinhook Road, Lafayette, LA 337 - 237 - 0005.
    http://www.bluedogcafe.com/
    Get off I 10 at Exit 109 in Breaux Bridge and go S on Rees Street or Highway 328 and go to Le Cafe for outstanding Po Boys. Or get Off I 10 at Exit 109 and go N on Highway 328 which is Anse Broussard Highway also to Poche Bridge Road. Go N to Main Highway and Poche Market and Restaurant for good Cajun cuisine for lunch. This is a buffet so you might really like it if you are in a hurry. Cafe Des Amis has outstanding food and music on Wednesday nights.  There's also Zydeco breakfasts on Saturday morning at 8:30. 
    Le Cafe @ 124 Rees St., Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 332 - 2500.
    Poche's Market and Restaurant @ 3015 Main Hwy., Breaux Bridge, LA. 337 - 332 - 2108.
    http://www.pochesmarket.com/
    Cafe De Amis @ 140 East Bridge Street, Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 332 - 5273.
    http://www.cafedesamis.com/
    Get off I 10 at Exit 115 in Henderson, LA and go E on Highway 352 to Henderson Levee Road to Pat's Fisherman's Wharf for good cajun food.  Go to Whiskey River Landing for good music and cold drinks.  Robin's has good crawfish.  
    Pat's Fisherman's Wharf @ 1008 Henderson Levee Rd., Henderson, LA 337 - 228 - 7512.
    http://www.patsfishermanswharf.com/
    Whiskey River Landing @ 1365 Henderson Levee Road, Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 228 - 2277.
    http://www.whiskeyriverlanding.net/
    Robin's Restaurant @ 1409 Henderson Hwy.,  Henderson, LA 337 - 228 - 7594. LD.   ***
    http://www.roadfood.com/R...nt/Reviews/1897/robins
    Get off I 10 at Exit 157A in Baton Rouge, LA to Perkins Road and take a right to Parrain's for outstanding fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Or get off I 10 at Exit 157A in Baton Rouge, La to Perkins Road. Take a left and Acme Oyster House is on your left open for lunch or dinner serving outstanding fresh seafood.
    Parrain's Seafood Restaurant @ 3225 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 225 - 381 - 9922.
    http://www.parrains.com/
    Acme Oyster House @ 3535 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 225 - 906 - 2372.
    http://www.acmeoyster.com/
    If you want great fresh seafood and an outstanding view of Lake Pontchartrain get off I 10 at Exit 209 and go N on Highway 51 one mile to Peavine Road.  Take a right and go another mile to Frenier Landing Restaurant.  The Crab Trap is also a great place for fresh seafood next door to Frenier Landing.  CT is only open Thursday/Friday/Saturday for dinnner.
    Frenier Landing Restaurant @ Peavine Road, LaPlace, LA 985 - 224 - 2178.
    http://www.frenierlanding.com/
    Crab Trap @ 100 Peavine Road, Laplace, LA 985 - 651 - 4150.
    http://www.urbanspoon.com...lace/Crab-Trap-Laplace
    Get off I 12 in Hammond, LA @ Exit 38B and go N for 2 miles on I55 to Exit 31 for Highway 190 and go E. Turn right on Highway 190 after .2 mile for W Thomas Street. Go 1.2 miles and Voo Doo BBQ will be on your left.
    Voo Doo BBQ & Grill @ 2108 W. Thomas St., Hammond, LA. 985 - 345 - 1131.
    http://www.voodoobbqandgrill.com/
    Get off I 12 at Exit 63A in Covington, LA and go N on Highway 190 to Acme Oyster House for fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Get off I 12 at Exit 63A and go S on Highway 190 to Bear's Grill and Spirit's for outstanding po boys and sandwiches. Or get off I 12 at Exit 65 and go S on Highway 59 to Lakeshore Drive. Turn left and go to Rip's for great fresh seafood overlooking Lake Pontchartain. Get off I 10 at Exit 2 at Bay St. Louis, MS and go E on Scenic Highway 90 to Trapani's for fine fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Continue on Highway 90 to Shaggy's Harbor Bar and Grill across from the Pass Christian Yacht Club for good fresh seafood, cold drinks and nice music. Continue on Highway 90 to Darwell's Cafe in Long Beach, MS for good lunch or dinner. Darwell's was featured on Diners, Drive In's and Dives. Continue E on Highway 90 to Highway 49 N in Gulfport, MS. Take a left and go one block to 13th Street and turn left to Half Shell Oyster House for fine fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Or continue on Highway 90 to Cowan Road which is E of Highway 49 in Gulfport, MS between Gulfport, MS and Biloxi, MS. Go N on Cowan Road to W Pine Street. Turn left and go 3 blocks to Washington Street, Turn right and go to Blow Fly Inn where the local's dine on fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. Continue E on Highway 90 to Caillavet Street just E of I 110. Turn left and go N to Howard. Turn right and go one block to Old Biloxi Schooner for good po boy's. For fine fresh oysters and good seafood continue E on Howard to Fillin Station for lunch or dinner. For fine country food for breakfast or lunch go E on Highway 90 to Ocean Springs, MS and turn right on Washington Avenue. Take your first left on Robinson Street and go to Bayview Gourmet. Fayard's has good BBQ. Ward's has good seafood and steaks. Phoenicia has good breakfast, lunch or dinner. For good BBQ and fun times get off I 10 at Exit 57 and go N on Highway 57 to The Shed for lunch or dinner. Stay on Highway 90 going E from Ocean Springs, MS. Go to Market Street and take a right. Go to Ingall's Avenue and take a left. Go 3 or 4 blocks to Bozo's Grocery for fine po boy's. For fine southern comfort food get off I 10 at Exit 68 at Moss Point, MS and go N on Highway 613 to Tugus restaurant.
    For fine po boy's and fresh seafood get off I 10 at Exit 15A and go N on Government Boulevard to Hall's Mill Road just past the shopping center on the right. Take a right and go to the Boiling Point. The best BBQ in the area is at Brick Pit. Get off I 10 at Exit 15B and go N on Highway 90 for 3 miles to Demetropolis Road. Take a left and continue on Demetropolis Road which becomes S University Boulevard. Go about 5 miles from the left you took on Demetropolis to Old Shell Road. Take a right and go to Brick Pit for outstanding BBQ. The best seafood in Mobile, AL is at Wintzell's Oyster House. Get off I 10 at Exit 26 A and go W on Canal Steet. Go .4 mile and turn right on S Washington Avenue. Turn right and go .3 mile to Dauphine Street. Take a right and Wintzell's will be on your right.
    Acme Oyster House @ 1202 N Highway 190, Covington, LA 985 - 246 - 6155.
    http://www.acmeoyster.com...mp;id=50&Itemid=87
    Bear's Grill and Spirit's @ 1809 North Causeway Boulevard, Mandeville, LA 985 - 674 - 9090.
    http://www.bearsgrillandspirits.com/
    Rip's on the Lake @ 1917 Lakeshore Drive, Mandeville, LA 985 - 727 - 2829.
    Trapani's @ 833 Highway 90 # 3, Bay St. Louis, MS 228 - 467 - 8570.
    Shaggy's Harbor Bar and Grill @ 120 S. Hiern Ave., Pass Harbor, Pass Christian, MS. 228 - 452 - 9939.
    http://www.shaggys.biz/
    Darwells Cafe @ 127 East 1st St., Long Beach, MS. 228 - 868 - 8946.
    http://www.darwellscafe.co
    Half Shell Oyster House @ FL 1st, 2500 13th St., Gulfport, MS 228 - 867 - 7001.
    http://halfshelloysterhouse.com/
    Blow Fly Inn @ 1201 Washington Ave., Gulfport, MS 228 - 896 - 9812.
    http://www.blowflyinn.com/
    Ole Biloxi Schooner @ 871 Howard Ave., Biloxi, MS 228 - 435 - 8071.
    Fillin Station @ 692 Howard Ave., Biloxi, MS 228 - 432 - 5565.
    http://www.fillinstationbiloxi.com/
    Bayview Gourmet @ 1010 Robinson St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 4252.
    Fayard's BP @ 6905 Washington Ave, Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 1020.
    Kenny Ward's @ 1504 Government St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 818 - 4505.
    McElroy's on the Bayou @ 705 Bienville Blvd. 228 - 818 - 4600.
    Phoenicia Gourmet Cuisine @ 123 Government St., Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 0603.
    The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint @ 7501 Hwy. 57, Ocean Springs, MS. 228 - 875 - 9590.
    http://www.theshedbbq.com/ordereze/intro.html
    Bozo's Grocery @ 2012 Ingalls Ave., Pascagoula, MS 228 - 762 - 3322.
    Tugus Restaurant @ 6909 Highway 613, Moss Point, MS 228 - 474 - 9910.
    The Boiling Pot @ Suite G, 5300 Halls Mill Road, Mobile, AL 251 - 602 - 8405.
    http://www.theboilingpotllc.com/
    The Brick Pit @ 5456 Old Shell Rd., Mobile, AL 251 - 343 - 0001.
    http://brickpit.com/
    Wintzell's Oyster House @ 605 Dauphin St., Mobile, AL 251 - 432 - 4605.
    http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 11:14:45 (permalink)

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 13:34:43 (permalink)
    Lots of great info and things to think about. If I do take my little girl out of School, she will be working right along with her class keeping her grades up. I may also hook up a video set up so we can broadcast with Skype into her classroom. She would also Blog, and tweet her adventure. Someone said something about her missing school and falling behind. I have thought about her studies and how this would affect her. I remember when I was a kid in 5th grade, I don't remember any one day of school. I think this could be an adventure of a life time she would never forget. Time spent learning, with your family, is priceless.......................pnwchef
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 14:31:48 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Lots of great info and things to think about. If I do take my little girl out of School, she will be working right along with her class keeping her grades up. I may also hook up a video set up so we can broadcast with Skype into her classroom. She would also Blog, and tweet her adventure. Someone said something about her missing school and falling behind. I have thought about her studies and how this would affect her. I remember when I was a kid in 5th grade, I don't remember any one day of school. I think this could be an adventure of a life time she would never forget. Time spent learning, with your family, is priceless.......................pnwchef

Unless you're a certified teacher as well as a chef, good luck getting the school system to agree to that plan.  So far you've talked about what a great idea you think it is, how does she feel about six months driving across the US?  Have you gotten the go ahead from her?  I don't mean to be a wet blanket or insulting, but it doesn't sound like a whole lot of thought other than "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if I..." has gone into this.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 15:03:41 (permalink)
    Many children are homeschooled successfully. If  PNWchef's school system won't cooperate there are many sources available to help. PNW I think it would be a great experience for both you and your daughter. I think the education she will receive during a trip like this would be priceless. Please keep us posted if you do undertake such an adventure!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 15:21:11 (permalink)
    Have you explored the legal aspects of doing this?  I am sure you don't remember one day of your own 5th grade; I don't either.  (For me, that was 66 years ago.) 
    However,  the state and county legislators have made tons of laws covering the education of our youth.  Just make sure you are not breaking any of them by pulling your daughter out of school.

I am all for educational travel.  In my lifetime, I have driven and camped (whenever possible) in every U. S. state, every province of Canada, all but one state of Mexico, Belize and eastern Guatemala.  And, in the last ten years, I have twice taken our Boy Scout troop on an 11-day trip of the greater Black Hills area of South Dakota, where we saw and did 40 different things each trip, one of the best travel bargains around.  (Four years ago, it cost them just $500 per person for everything, including the proportional part of the gas, camping, restaurant food and all admissions.)  But these trips were all done during summer vacations.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 18:00:47 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

You're right. I can't hold a candle to those two guys.
    A while ago, I asked Littleman if he has personally eaten at every place he's ever listed.
    He never lists his sources.
    I'm still waiting for a reply.
    If he has, then he's probably been to more places than the Stern's.
    So, where's his book?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:50 State Road Trip 2011/08/29 18:07:23 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF:
    While I admire your idea, I think a kid needs to be a little older to understand and appreciate an adventure like you plan. In my case, I was 13 when I took a three week train trip across the country, NY to CA and back. The Northern route out, southern route back. Saw a lot of America with frequent sightseeing stops along the way. I don't remember much of the trip in any detail.
    We took our kids on extensive Roadtrips between 1st & 8th grades and they don't remember too many details. Granted, we didn't require them to keep a log, but we do have tons of pictures which they don't recognize.
    If I were to do it given your daughters age, I would just go to the major highlight places in our country like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Washington D.C., Salt Lake City, Austin, Niagra Falls, Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Dam,  etc. Chances are she'll remember those places given her age. Then I'd take annual regional tours every summer to get into the heart of America and cap it off with a fully paid vacation of 1 year when she graduates from College. All of this is dependent of you being ol' Daddy Warbucks!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/08/29 18:39:27
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 18:27:53 (permalink)
    joerogo

wanderingjew,

I 100% agree on Man vs Food.  Watching him stuff his face has nothing to do with RF. 

But I gotta part ways with you on Triple D.  The Pointy Haired Guy, as nauseating as he can be, has been spot on with the places I visited.    

And hey, toot your own horn!  You are one of the primary builders of this site.

While I think it's a sin of glutony to stuff your face the way Adam does on Man vs Food, it's value to me is NOT "him"...it's the food itself that's the star...!!!

I think you're not looking beyond the insipid personality...

How do YOU define "Roadfood"...???

10 people will most likely define it 10 different ways, right...???

Is it upscale fru fru food...???  Is it a Bistro with 100 items on a wine list...???  Is it an Alice Waters brainchild...???

So, if it has been pronouced above that Man vs Food has nothing at all to do with "RF"...then just what exactly DOES...???

The ENTIRE reason I came to this webby site is to get the hell away from FOOD SNOBS...after spending a large chunk of my life in the Napa Valley, I have little time for food snobs, and you might even feel the same way...

To me, in it's simplist form, Road Food can encompass anything and everything found gastronomically while on the road...I'm a redneck cowboy railroad worker (and part time broadcaster) and not a gourmet...

I've also been known to man the grill in back of the locomotive shops when it's my turn to "cook beans"...

To my personal way of thinking, true "roadfood"  is better than the fast food chains, but not gourmet "fru fru food" either...

To me, Road Food is the small cafe with gingham curtains and a waitress that'll wink at ya. It's also (again, to my way of thinking) the truckstops, breakfast houses, lunch counters, county fairs, taqueira's, and steakhouses...

It's entirely possible that where I eat is not where others here would eat...which means even more fresh blackberry pie for me...(yum)...

And as fof GF and DDD, again folks can get stuck on a tv person's personality and forget that it's about the food, not the talking head with spikey hair (he was raised a little north of me)...

TV stars come and go, but a good dish / recipe endures, and that's my focus...

Now...please pass the salt, thankyou...

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 18:47:40 (permalink)
    Not taking away from the places he visits, the highlight of his show is him stuffing his face.

I personally would never engage in such conduct.

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Suggestions 2011/08/29 18:49:34 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF:  Keep refining your plans(s)

I guess some folks have NOT read the part where you say she'll be keeping up with her studies...

6 months IS a long time, that's why I suggest something like a Class-A or Class-C RV to drive...not a good trip to do in a sub-compact car

What you might want to consider is a TEST CRUISE...like a shakedown cruise you can see what works and what doesn't work...say maybe a couple of weeks long...thinking about it and doing it can be entirely different things...

As to those who say that she might be too young to hold long term memories of such a trip...there's also the possibility that she WILL retain memories...

I remember EVERY trip we ever went on back in the 1950's...Bass Lake, Dodge Ridge, Yosemite, Laguna, Almanor...I remember them ALL...and we did it all without air conditioning and interstate highways and fast food...

And the memories are still intact even after surviving the "mind numbing" 60's, the "curious" 70's, the "self defining" 80's, the "introspective" 90's, and the "glad I'm still here" '00's, and the "just do it" 10's...

Don't let the nay sayer's discourage you...if you're meant to do it, you'll do it...just make sure you're competent enough to do it with minimal risk...

Safe journey to you and report back when done...

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1