The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late

HDtravlr1

500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Sun, 01/4/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
Just saw this on Amazon.com, Not sure if I missed the news of the Stern's new book on the forum. It is harder to search for past posts with the new board software.

500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late: and the Very Best Places To Eat Them (Paperback)  by Jane and Michael Stern

Release date June 4, 2009

Product Description

What are the all-time best dishes America has to offer, the ones you must taste before they vanish, so delicious they deserve to be a Holy Grail for travelers? Where’s the most vibrant Key lime pie in Florida? The most sensational chiles rellenos in New Mexico? The most succulent fried clams on the Eastern Seaboard? The most memorable whoopie pies, gumbos, tacos, cheese steaks, crab feasts? In 500 Things to Eat Before It’s Too Late, "America’s leading authorities on the culinary delights to be found while driving" (Newsweek) return to their favorite subject with a colorful, bursting-at-the-seams life list of America’s must-eats.

Illustrated throughout with mouth-watering color photos and road maps, this indispensable guide is organized by region, then by state. Each entry captures the food in luscious detail and gives the lowdown on the café, roadside stand, or street cart where it’s served. When "bests" abound—hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, apple pie, doughnuts—the Sterns rank their offerings. Sidebars feature profiles of idiosyncratic creators, recipes, and local attractions.

About the Author

JANE and MICHAEL STERN are the authors of the best-selling Roadfood and the acclaimed memoir Two for the Road. They are contributing editors to Gourmet, where they write the James Beard Award–winning column "Roadfood," and they appear weekly on NPR’s The Splendid Table. Winners of a James Beard Lifetime Achievement Award, the Sterns have also been inducted into the Who’s Who of Food and Beverage in America.

http://www.amazon.com/500-Things-Eat-Before-Late/dp/0547059078/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I8EDG7FLLE7R&colid=15I63K0YEIR4T

<message edited by HDtravlr1 on Sun, 01/4/09 9:38 PM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
    Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 9:00 AM (permalink)
    Looks like a great Roadfood tool. 

I didn't see any info about it either.

buffetbuster

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 9:33 AM (permalink)
      I love hearing that it will have color photos and maps.  Too bad it won't be out on time for the Roadfood bus tour in New Orleans.  It is nice to see the cover, too.  I recognize Pico de Gallo of Tucson in the lower left, but which place is that in the lower right?

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 10:06 AM (permalink)
        buffetbuster

I love hearing that it will have color photos and maps.  Too bad it won't be out on time for the Roadfood bus tour in New Orleans.  It is nice to see the cover, too.  I recognize Pico de Gallo of Tucson in the lower left, but which place is that in the lower right?

That's Clare and Carl's in Plattsburgh, NY.  Now the three food pictures above those - I recognize the two center and right - Butler's Colonial Donuts and The Clam Box.  The one on the left has me stumped.
        Edit: Of course, that one is also Pico de Gallo!
        <message edited by Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle on Mon, 01/5/09 10:08 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 10:09 AM (permalink)
          Bruce-
          Thanks!  Glad to hear it was a place I haven't visited or I would have been embarrassed.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
            Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 11:07 AM (permalink)
            I note they mention "Southern Belly" in the books you might buy if you bought this item - good stuff!

wheregreggeats.com

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 6:32 PM (permalink)
              When does the book come out ... I'd like to buy it from my neighborhood bookseller (we need those mom and pops too.)

HDtravlr1

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 01/5/09 8:00 PM (permalink)
                The release date is June 4, 2009

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                  Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Tue, 05/19/09 10:19 AM (permalink)
                  It's out.  My pre-order copy arrived from Amazon.com on Saturday. 

There's a separate thread about the book, with readers' comments.

jjohnson1120

• Total Posts: 2
                    Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Sun, 06/7/09 3:40 PM (permalink)
                     Bought the book! Love it - already making note of where to go based on the food!

Of course, I -- and many others -- have suggestions: Minneapolis - Matt's Bar (3500 Cedar Ave S) - the Jucy Lucy originated here and must be tasted. It's unique amoung burgers!

MiamiDon

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Tue, 06/16/09 7:54 AM (permalink)
                      I spotted this interview with Michael Stern in the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124482651965110395.html#mod=article-outset-box

buffetbuster

Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Mon, 06/22/09 7:38 AM (permalink)
                        Nice little blurb about the book in my local paper:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09169/977767-34.stm

Hey CajunKing, I think you need to take this guy out for some goetta!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late Thu, 06/25/09 1:28 PM (permalink)
                          Cliff

I emailed him and invited him to a goetta tour the next time he is in the area.  I will let you know if I get a response from him.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com