9/11/11 Is Also Grandparents Day

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
2011/09/11 03:29:30 (permalink)

9/11/11 Is Also Grandparents Day

Happy Grandparents Day to all you Old Geezers out there! Who says Grandparents aren't important?
 2.7 million
The number of grandparents responsible for most of the basic needs (i.e., food, shelter, clothing) of one or more grandchildren who lived with them in 2009. These grandparents represented about 40 percent of all grandparents whose grandchildren lived with them. Of these caregivers, 1.7 million were grandmothers, and 1 million were grandfathers.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2009 American Community Survey, <http://factfinder.census.gov/>, Table B10056

3 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:9/11/11 Is Also Grandparents Day 2011/09/11 11:38:55 (permalink)
    Interesting Stat's, my friend. 

I have always been a bit casual in my relationships with our grandchilden. This is more than convenient behavior, as we now have 23 active young persons in that catagory.
    However recently, under circumstance I deeply resent, One divorced daughter has shipped her 14 year old son to us, as she claims to be unable to control his school performance, and she cannot 'afford' to take care of him. She did keep her 10 year old daughter, because the little girl is "so much easier to care for".
    The boy is a good kid. He justs needs someone to 'coach' him thru the newness of High School, and help him make good choices for the future. He tends to be distracted easily and lives for his video games and texting, neither of which are anything I admire in the current youth culture.  The mother provides us none of the child-support money she receives for the boy from her ex-husband, so we are footing the bill  ourselves.
    This is NOT a good situation.
       I guess it is time for me to get into the "More Active" Grandparents rights group!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:9/11/11 Is Also Grandparents Day 2011/09/11 14:49:00 (permalink)
    Mayor,
    Unfortunately, you're not the Lone Ranger. Many others have similiar stories. Look at it from a positive perspective and think about the alternatives for the kid. At least you may be able to give him a fighting chance in life.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:9/11/11 Is Also Grandparents Day 2011/09/11 19:06:44 (permalink)
    Yeah that's how we look at it too. Maybe the grandkid can learn to get along with others, compromise in marriage to make things work, and not bully your kids into personal servants for your lazy lifestyle.  The mother wants the boy to go to her over christmas, but has no way to pay the airfare.  Guess What , the boy will enjoy a nice rural Indiana Christmas, if she doesn't find another 'sugar-daddy' to fund whatever she wants.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1