A Cheesesteak for the wealthy

Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2004/10/06 09:26:38 (permalink)

A Cheesesteak for the wealthy

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- The traditional Philly cheesesteak has gone precipitously upscale at one new restaurant, where the chopped steak and melted cheese standard includes goose liver and truffles -- and costs $100.

Barclay Prime owner Stephen Starr admits the haute cheesesteak is a marketing ploy for his steakhouse, which opened Tuesday. And he thinks it will sell.

"I believe you will have the rich guy in there who will say, 'Cheesesteaks for the table. And buy one for the guy over there,"' said Starr, an acclaimed restaurateur who has opened 13 eateries here since 1995.

Served with a small bottle of champagne, Barclay Prime's cheesesteak is made of sliced Kobe beef, melted Taleggio cheese, shaved truffles, sauteed foie gras, caramelized onions and heirloom shaved tomatoes on a homemade brioche roll brushed with truffle butter and squirted with homemade mustard.

The standard $4 cheesesteak, available at hundreds of sandwich shops, pizzerias and burger joints around the city, is made with thin-sliced ribeye on an Italian roll with American or provolone cheese -- or Cheez Whiz at Pat's King of Steaks, the South Philadelphia landmark that claims to have invented the steak sandwich in 1930.

"I am sure it will be good," Pat's co-owner Frank Olivieri commented politely on the newest entry to the cheesesteak club.

Not everyone was so accepting.

"You shouldn't mess with the Philadelphia cheesesteak," groused Samuel Lehrer, who was eating takeout Chinese several blocks from Barclay Prime. "Let it alone."
OK, Who is buying

22 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/06 09:54:58 (permalink)
    Not I, I ain't no fortunate one....

With the economic rift growing between the haves and the have-nots in America, it doesn't suprise me that someone would offer a 100 dollar cheese steak. Frankly, there are a fairly large number of people in Americ a now who would think nothing of spending 100 dollars on a meal. Unfortunately this comes at the expense of a much faster growing segment of the population who can't spend 100 pennies on a meal.

The economic direction of America right now reminds me of France just before the[url='http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/french/french.html']French Revolution[/url], albeit the aristocracy in America isn't titled, ie we have people as rich and powerful as a 'duke' or a 'lord' but these people possess no such inherited titles.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/06 10:10:48 (permalink)
    I saw this on CNN.

I'll bet CheeseWit has already had a couple. He is the cheese steak expert.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/06 10:49:05 (permalink)
    Signman,
    How did that $100 sandwich compare to the ones reviewed on your recent tour of Philly??
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/06 12:44:21 (permalink)
    Goose liver and truffles on a cheese steak sandwich!!?!? Sacrilege!
    CX747
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 05:37:58 (permalink)
    Although not in Philly myself (Allentown area), I get all the Philadelphia news channels and pretty much every TV station has had a feature about this new cheesesteak. Pretty much every TV anchor denounces it after the segment airs. Larry Mendte on KYW said, "That's not a cheesesteak, give me one from a local shop for six bucks and I'm more than happy." On a different segment he said, "Why are they messing with a classic?" In Philadelphia, locals don't hold back their feelings and it seems that this $100 cheesesteak will eventually get the cold shoulder (hopefully) after the intial buzz stops. The news reported that they sold ten on their opening day. I don't think it'll last long. They showed the thing on TV and it looked gross. Something about cheesesteaks being prepared by chef's dressed all elabroate with their toques on doesn't seem right!

Too bad they couldn't at least use a roll from Amoroso's.

Regards,
    Chris
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6622
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 08:19:31 (permalink)
    The French would revolt again at the thought of such a combination! Gad zookes! Mon dieu!! That's not decadent, that's nasty!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 09:09:38 (permalink)
    I get the same feeling of disgust watching Bobby Frey "Grill" what he calls "BBQ" then chop it up "Carolina-Style". Using the word "UP-SCALE" connected to a regional food like Cheesesteak or BBQ etc should be banned !!
    markeble
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 09:51:55 (permalink)
    Sign me up for one of those sandwiches!

You guys sound like a bunch of old women fretting about the dissipation of youth. Hey good food is good food. It is all about the ingredients. Truth be told most Philly Steak sandwiches are nasty wads of oversalted fat and gristle. It is very rare to get one that doesn't make you wish you hadn't eaten it.

As for the $100...that's what expense accounts are for. Most Roadfooders wouldn't think twice about spending $100 on gas to get to a good pulled pork sandwich.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 10:08:13 (permalink)
    A $100 Cheesesteak seems a fitting meal for one on his way to the Guillotine....

Cheers, John
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 11:43:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markeble

You guys sound like a bunch of old women fretting about the dissipation of youth. Hey good food is good food. It is all about the ingredients. Truth be told most Philly Steak sandwiches are nasty wads of oversalted fat and gristle. It is very rare to get one that doesn't make you wish you hadn't eaten it.

As for the $100...that's what expense accounts are for. Most Roadfooders wouldn't think twice about spending $100 on gas to get to a good pulled pork sandwich.

I will give you that one......good food is good food! However putting foie gras and truffles on a steak sandwich is an abomination. Foie gras should be savored, inhaled and enjoyed alone as it is one of the most sensual foods on the planet, as is the mighty truffle, not thrown haphazardly into a sandwich!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 11:54:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by markeble

I will give you that one......good food is good food! However putting foie gras and truffles on a steak sandwich is an abomination. Foie gras should be savored, inhaled and enjoyed alone as it is one of the most sensual foods on the planet, as is the mighty truffle, not thrown haphazardly into a sandwich!

Foie gras or no foie gras, give me a cheesesteak and I'll show you what inhaling is all about!
    downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 12:06:49 (permalink)
    yeah, but do you add ketchup?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 12:14:47 (permalink)
    I think this sort of thing demonstrates why more expensive doesn't always mean better.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 12:41:38 (permalink)
    I agree, this is not a "Philly cheesesteak", would I order it? Heck no! But you gotta give the guy his due, even if he never sells a single sandwich, look at all the free publicity his new restaurant has received!" /> As CX747 has said pretty much every station in the Philly area has aired a piece on it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 18:39:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by downtown

yeah, but do you add ketchup?

Depends on your political affiliation.......Heinz or Hunt's??
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 18:44:45 (permalink)
    I might pay $100 just to watch someone try to shave a tomato.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 19:24:07 (permalink)
    Ketchup (Catsup) on a Philly??? Did I miss something?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 19:28:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Ketchup (Catsup) on a Philly??? Did I miss something?

You missed the foie gras, the truffles and the $100 tab!!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 19:41:51 (permalink)
    I did catch that part Lleechef...
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 20:47:04 (permalink)
    At least it is slices of steak, not chopped into little bits. But even if someone else was buying, and I had a choice of a good old provy wit or Kobe truffle, I'd opt for the provy wit.
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 21:50:10 (permalink)
    While in Madrid we went to the Spanish version of Taberna del Alabardero (also in WDC). Because we could not get a seat at the tapas bar, we had a dinner with some American folks that we met on the street (not 10 minutes before) at their upstairs room. We had a dish that is very reminiscent of the ingredients of the $100 'cheesesteak'. However, our whole dinner of 4 courses each was about 35 euros.

We had what can only be called very modern Spanish cuisine in the style of a sort of new age/multi-culti. One of the courses, which only I ordered was a thinly shaved terrine of very rare beef tenderloin and foie gras with shavings of a cheese similar to Parmesan and over greens with marinated onions. It was really good-especially with the great bread that we had at table.

However, must say that this was our fancy dinner of the trip. Mostly, since I had 7 years of school Spanish, we went to where we saw the university students going for dinner. They were not in any guidebook and did not have anyone who really spoke English. However, the people were wonderful!

This was last spring, a month after the Barcelona bombings. Folks were very pleased that we ordered unusal local foods (boquerones, which are white anchovies -- yum, and blood sausage -- also really good) and so were very solicitous. In most places (5 or 6 small places that we went to) the servers would give us advice and after our meals, in almost all cases, they treated us to eau de vie (dont know the name in Spanish) of pears, plums, and (OMG so good) peaches!

So granted this is a 100 dollar 'cheesesteak', but that combo is killer if done right! Though, since the only place that I have seen this combo before is Madrid, it may be a comparitive bargain considering the airfare and hotel! Still -- you can get foie gras and good beef, make your own and save some euros!

downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: A Cheesesteak for the wealthy 2004/10/07 22:25:25 (permalink)
    vic, it seems the ketchup is something those yanks love dearly. I have 2 great friends from PA and I watch in horror the ketchup pouring every time they order cheesesteaks. these are highly educated women and they act like 4 yr olds with that ketchup bottle when their phillys are served.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1