A Day in Dayton

Author
Train
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2009/07/05 16:35:05 (permalink)

A Day in Dayton

Myself and three friends recently spent a Saturday eating our way around Dayton. We'd planned four food stops, which soon enough turned into five, seriously challenging the reliability of our taste buds (along with the limits of our stomachs).

First up: the Hamburger Wagon, a sidewalk set-up that deep-fries slider-sized burgers, in a wok, in lard.

They were good! and like no other burger any of us could remember: no particular shape, with a hint of sausage taste, and a subtle crunch to the meat's exterior. We told the owner how much we liked them and he insisted we had to hit another Dayton burger institution, Voltzy's (Saturday being slaw-dog day and all). So off we went and soon found ourselves at a business so funky it made the Burger Wagon seem like a conventional restaurant.

Voltzy's is actually a trailer in an otherwise empty lot. This is a shot of the back of the place (with as close as they have to an actual sign):

The front nominally faced the street -- or would if it wern't completely obscured by another building under construction. Voltsky himself was there, swore a lot, and seemed genuinely interested in our food excursion. While we were all glad we'd made the detour, none of us were especially impressed with either the burgers or the slaw dogs.

On to lunch #3 at Troni's Pizzeria, which has garnered many raves on these boards. Except for the sausage, sliced like salami, it didn't strike me as particularly New York in style, but it was awfully good pizza -- and very pretty:

We ordered the sauce listed on the menu as "home-style" (or "old- fashioned"?), which was essentially roughly sliced tomatoes on top, rather than sauce underneath. Great crust, top ingredients, a solid pizza.

After a visit to the Air Force Museum, we drove out to Young's Jersey Dairy, the only restaurant all day that I'd been to before.

A wonderful scene, as always, and great ice cream.

Dinner was at the Pine Club, where the one-hour wait for a table actually came as something of a relief: We were able to give our stomachs a little break, as well as have a drink and bask in the Pine Club's 1940s glory. What a place! Nothing on the restaurant's exterior prepared us for how perfect it looked inside.

Dark and clubby, neat square booths along the walls and down the middle of the room, great looking bar around the corner. We had come for their celebrated burgers and, while I could tell it was a good burger, I'm afraid I could not tell just how good at that point of the day, with three other burgers, pizza, ice cream, and a couple drinks already palling around inside me. Even so, we all agreed it was the most fun stop of the day and I made a personal vow to return later in the year to try their steaks. All told, another excellent trip.

post edited by Train - 2009/07/05 18:56:45

23 Replies Related Threads

Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/07/05 18:36:45 (permalink)
    Excellent report. I have lived in Dayton and pretty much Miamisburg my entire life and have still not hit up the Hamburger Wagon. I have hit up Voltzy's and was as well not that impressed. I thought that they were good burgers but nothing that I would make a trip out of my way to get again. I really do have to make a trip back to Troni's to give them a second chance and I am so glad you made it to Young's for ice cream, as in my opinion is the best in Dayton (Sorry but Graeter's just isn't better people!). I haven't been to the Pine Club in forever myself and will need to make it back some day.
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/07/09 14:43:44 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great day out!  :)  I've only been to the Hamburger Wagon once myself and thought it was fine.  Not something I'd go out of my way for, but good.  Haven't been to Voltzy's yet, but I know a few other Dayton people like it.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/07/09 14:53:05 (permalink)
    How did I miss this?  What a fine eating day you had. 

If there is a darker restaurant than the Pine Club, I haven't seen it, no pun intended.  I ate there by myself and took a magazine in with me, which was a complete waste of time.  Had the steak, which was excellent, but next time, I am going for the burger.

What kind of ice cream did you have at Young's?  That Hamburger Wagon looks really cool and I think they are in the Hamburger America book.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/11/20 07:29:24
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/07/09 18:33:50 (permalink)
    Train

Myself and three friends recently spent a Saturday eating our way around Dayton. We'd planned four food stops, which soon enough turned into five, seriously challenging the reliability of our taste buds (along with the limits of our stomachs).

First up: the Hamburger Wagon, a sidewalk set-up that deep-fries slider-sized burgers, in a wok, in lard.

They were good! and like no other burger any of us could remember: no particular shape, with a hint of sausage taste, and a subtle crunch to the meat's exterior. We told the owner how much we liked them and he insisted we had to hit another Dayton burger institution, Voltzy's (Saturday being slaw-dog day and all). So off we went and soon found ourselves at a business so funky it made the Burger Wagon seem like a conventional restaurant.

Voltzy's is actually a trailer in an otherwise empty lot. This is a shot of the back of the place (with as close as they have to an actual sign):

The front nominally faced the street -- or would if it wern't completely obscured by another building under construction. Voltsky himself was there, swore a lot, and seemed genuinely interested in our food excursion. While we were all glad we'd made the detour, none of us were especially impressed with either the burgers or the slaw dogs.

On to lunch #3 at Troni's Pizzeria, which has garnered many raves on these boards. Except for the sausage, sliced like salami, it didn't strike me as particularly New York in style, but it was awfully good pizza -- and very pretty:

We ordered the sauce listed on the menu as "home-style" (or "old- fashioned"?), which was essentially roughly sliced tomatoes on top, rather than sauce underneath. Great crust, top ingredients, a solid pizza.

After a visit to the Air Force Museum, we drove out to Young's Jersey Dairy, the only restaurant all day that I'd been to before.

A wonderful scene, as always, and great ice cream.

Dinner was at the Pine Club, where the one-hour wait for a table actually came as something of a relief: We were able to give our stomachs a little break, as well as have a drink and bask in the Pine Club's 1940s glory. What a place! Nothing on the restaurant's exterior prepared us for how perfect it looked inside.

Dark and clubby, neat square booths along the walls and down the middle of the room, great looking bar around the corner. We had come for their celebrated burgers and, while I could tell it was a good burger, I'm afraid I could not tell just how good at that point of the day, with three other burgers, pizza, ice cream, and a couple drinks already palling around inside me. Even so, we all agreed it was the most fun stop of the day and I made a personal vow to return later in the year to try their steaks. All told, another excellent trip.

These were our first pizza pies from Troni's:
    ...all I remember is that I was in heaven - one had the old fashioned sauce as yours did and the other two were regular sauce - one Sicilian rectangle style..

davery5872
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/01 15:23:31 (permalink)
    One of my earliest memories is standing outside at the Hamburger Wagon in 10 degree weather waiting for hamburgers while my mom sat in the car.  I was probably about 8-9.  You missed a great burger at Young's.  IMO the best burger I've ever had. 
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/06 10:53:55 (permalink)
    I enjoyed reading your report.  I used to visit Young's dairy when I was in college.  My brother-in-law's brother was the main chef at the Pine Club for many years though I have never been there myself.    Thanks for the memories.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/06 13:05:35 (permalink)
    Well you hit all the quality places in Dayton except for Slyders and Tank's. Voltzy's is an interresting stop and character. He uses a Burger Dome. I thought he was getting a building. Great Report!...Russ
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/11 10:26:35 (permalink)
    A very enjoyable report.  The hubs and I will have to go the the Pine Club next time we visit the Air Force Museum!  The atmosphere looks interesting.

Andrea
    JohnDunne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/14 20:21:19 (permalink)
    True the Pine Club is excellent. Also, the Flying Pizza is true NY style pizza. The Flying Pizza was just the thing for this NYer in Dayton for 4 years of college.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/14 20:46:38 (permalink)
    The Flying Pizza I have sampled in Cinci and Dayton came no where near NY pizza - their crust was simply terrible - soft and crackery - no chewiness or crunchiness to and it tasted like nothing.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/15 12:18:11 (permalink)
    JohnDunne
    True the Pine Club is excellent. Also, the Flying Pizza is true NY style pizza. The Flying Pizza was just the thing for this NYer in Dayton for 4 years of college.
    NYPIzzaNut
    The Flying Pizza I have sampled in Cinci and Dayton came no where near NY pizza - their crust was simply terrible - soft and crackery - no chewiness or crunchiness to and it tasted like nothing.

Hmm - one NY'er (a current NYer) praises the pizza at Flying Pizza as true NY style, and another (a former NYer absent from NY for multiple decades) says it is terrible, adding that is is somehow simultaneously 'soft" and "crackery".

Notably, I have never once encountered a soft cracker - crackers by their very nature are crisp

I wonder which report I should believe, and which I should dismiss, since they cannot both be true?
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/11/15 14:34:38
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/15 13:04:10 (permalink)
    What would probably be best is to just try them both for yourself.
    JohnDunne
    Junior Burger
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/15 21:37:22 (permalink)
    Yes, try it for yourself. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it. We actually had a group of more than 10 NYers and NJers who would regularly go downtown to Flying Pizza in Dayton because we could not get good pizza anywhere else. When i would have NY friends visit we would go "Flying" and they agreed it was great by any standard. That was when the dad was running the joint, I think the son has taken over full time. I can't speak for Cincy, and we didn't know about Troni's but it looks good.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/16 08:55:36 (permalink)
    A very nice report. I ate at the now closed Breakfast Club with visits to the Air force base and the Wright Brothers stuff in the national park. Hope I'll get to the Pine Club someday.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/19 07:28:50 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

While I don't agree with your high praise of Troni's I will agree with you here that Flying Pizza's crust is terrible. I ate there once and will probably never go back it was that poor of an excuse of a piece of pizza. Personally if I want a good slice I will hit up Johnny's off of Far Hills.
    Russ Jackson
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/19 07:39:21 (permalink)
    Soccer862923

NYPIzzaNut

While I don't agree with your high praise of Troni's I will agree with you here that Flying Pizza's crust is terrible. I ate there once and will probably never go back it was that poor of an excuse of a piece of pizza. Personally if I want a good slice I will hit up Johnny's off of Far Hills.

Flying Pizza is edible just like Rock-A-Fellas. But after eating Dewey's and Troni's I would not go back to either one. Could you give a description of Johnny's and do you like any of the other intown regulars like Dewey's, Marion's or Cassano's. Also never judge a place by one Pizza. We all have off days and you might not have gotten the correct Pizza Maker. Two times in my many visits I have received Pies from Troni's that were not up to par. Had they been my first trip I would not have returned. TJ have you been to Troni's yet? If not why dont you meet NYP there for dinner. I will show up also as guest referree....Russ
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/19 09:42:24 (permalink)
    I have been to Tronis.  It is quite good.

I have no desire to meet up with the likes of NYPN
    Russ Jackson
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/19 09:47:46 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

I have been to Tronis.  It is quite good.

I have no desire to meet up with the likes of NYPN

LMAO...Russ
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/20 00:02:13 (permalink)

Russ Jackson

Soccer862923

NYPIzzaNut

Flying Pizza is edible just like Rock-A-Fellas. But after eating Dewey's and Troni's I would not go back to either one. Could you give a description of Johnny's and do you like any of the other intown regulars like Dewey's, Marion's or Cassano's. Also never judge a place by one Pizza. We all have off days and you might not have gotten the correct Pizza Maker. Two times in my many visits I have received Pies from Troni's that were not up to par. Had they been my first trip I would not have returned. TJ have you been to Troni's yet? If not why dont you meet NYP there for dinner. I will show up also as guest referree....Russ

Speaking of Troni's 3/4's of our lunchbunch stopped by there tonight to pick up take out pizzas: 

this little pizza went home with my compadre and his better half

this wonder went home with me for my better half and myself

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/11/20 00:05:44
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2009/11/20 01:40:06 (permalink)
    So, NYPN, have you been to Troni's?
    JohnDunne
    Junior Burger
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2014/06/04 19:39:03 (permalink)
    OK, i am going to Dayton, and with an open mind I will try Troni's and Flying Pizza of course.
    I will report back here if anyone still checks this!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2014/06/04 19:53:57 (permalink)
    I'm looking forward to your report.
    RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:A Day in Dayton 2014/06/05 20:42:45 (permalink)
    Rest assured, it gets checked! While I have not tried Flying Pizza, I love Troni's. To my taste, it is a perfectly wonderful pizza. Hope you enjoy it.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1