A GOOOOD sandwich

Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1005
2012/08/23 20:36:18 (permalink)

A GOOOOD sandwich

Mrs OC and I are planing a trip in September.  We are going from our home in Ocean City NJ, to Tangier Island, VA.  We want to pack a lunch for the trip, and we both agree that we want a really good sandwich.  But we cannot decide what sandwiches we want.  Can we get a little help here?  What is your idea of a great sandwich to pack?
post edited by ChrisOC - 2012/08/23 20:37:20

12 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2420
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/23 20:54:23 (permalink)
    OK, first you need  a good crusty Italian Hoagie roll, or two small grinder crusty rolls. Then, ham, capocollo, salami, provolone,sliced olives,  hot italian peppers, lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar in a cup to pour on the sandwich before eating. mayo is also good S & P to taste. Put the meat and cheese on the sandwich, pack the veggies sperate. Build the sandwich on site, Give your wife a kiss on the cheek for desert. Head the car South, she will look at you for the rest of the trip, knowing she married the right man...............pnwc
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 06:07:48 (permalink)
    Assuming you'll be eating in the car, you don't want anything that's sloppy, drippy or will fall apart. I suggest a liverwurst, swiss cheese and dark mustard on seeded rye or a good ham & cheese on rye or baloney something like that.
    If stopping for a roadside picnic, then the sky's the limit.
    http://www.sandwichrecipes.org/
    Don't know the route you're taking but if you come close to a Capriotti's, that's where I'd get one!
    http://www.capriottis.com/locations/delaware.html
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 09:30:00 (permalink)
    You live in Ocean City, home of two of the greatest sandwich shops on the planet! Let the experts make your hoagie.  I'm coming to OC tomorrow for a week on the beach, and I'm already having dreams of Voltaco's.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1689
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 15:34:27 (permalink)
    Wow.that is so wide open..........a turkey sandwich with cream cheese and chutney is always good, non messy and easily portable.  If you want Tomatoes, carry them separately

A Cold Grilled cheese with mushrooms and onions is also good

Anything that has oil, vineger, or tomatoes......best to save those separately until it's eating time

There are endless other possibilities...depending on your tastes..........wafer thin RB with sweet onion on a bulky.with 1000 island dressing at the end.  Tuna with provolone and some diced onion...sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice.  Chicken sliced thin with some Penzey's spices and what ever else you like...etc

Can you help us narrow it down?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 15:47:48 (permalink)
    I'm (almost) with pnwchef. Capicola, Genoa salami and/or soppressata, mortadella, sharp provolone, good olives (kalamata)and roasted red pepper on a good sub bun. spread some good extra virgin olive oil on each cut side of the bun and sprinkle with dried oregano. I know lots of folks like to have lettuce and tomato on their sandwiches, but I suggest leaving them out. Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. This will allow the fillings to marry and make everything tastier.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1315
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 16:10:23 (permalink)
    There are going to be plenty of rest stops with places to eat along the way, so you don't have to eat in the car.

Here's an interesting variation on the club sandwich that I used to have on a regular basis: Turkey, provolone cheese, and sliced prosciutto (as a condiment) on hero with lettuce and tomato.

Bart
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 21:17:03 (permalink)
    I have to agree with pnwchef, although on Mr. Hoffman's side. No tomato or lettuce. However, Fried suggested a great sounding turkey, cream cheese and chutney sandwich. Thanks for the inspiration!I will eat that on a good whole grain bread.......
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/24 21:52:58 (permalink)
    What ever happened to the "Wrap the food in Foil and put it on the Engine to heat up while driving" people???
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1005
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/25 10:27:30 (permalink)
    Thank you, everyone, for the ideas.  They sound good.  Right now I am leaning toward smoked turkey and brie with Durkee Famous Sauce, on french bread, but we are still open to suggestions.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/25 11:50:10 (permalink)
    Wonder Bread, peanut butter, sliced bananas, bacon! The Elvis, fry it up eat it cold!
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/25 21:15:20 (permalink)
    Ann, I consider it an honor that I could add to your repetoire! -  and the brie the OP mentions instead is also good....but I still lean toward my Major Grey's Chutney.  Actually, with some of the flavoured cream cheeses these days, there is a variety of possible tastes. Just leave off the gooey stuff - is Lawry's a bit runny? Better to carry it in a separate container.

And sides?.You can do the potato salad, but maybe potato sticks and a few cut up veggies would be better, especially if you have some dip (did you save those little cups you get with Chinese take-out?).  Apple slices that have been doused in lemon juice, or a whole apple with a knife works fine, especially with a few slices of cheese (not the brie of the sandwich!). Or some strawberries.

Bring a paper table cloth that you can find at party stores, find a pretty side of the road place to stop. Be daring and bring a SMALL bottle of wine ( you have to drive on!) and have yourselves a feast.  Not sure of your route or timing, but you could do it on the Lewes Ferry.or if via 301 maybe someplace in Wye,MD.  Along Rt 13 is tougher, but I seem to remember a few roadside "rest areas" still exist that way.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:A GOOOOD sandwich 2012/08/25 21:24:19 (permalink)
    Oh.and Ann........I would forgoe the whole grain bread for my own corn/wheat bread.2 cups of flour to one of cornmeal, milk instead of water, and to the yeast I add a bit of King Arthur Whole Grain Bread Improver to help the rise.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1