A GREAT small potato chip company

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
2007/09/15 18:03:33 (permalink)

A GREAT small potato chip company

When it comes to potato chips I tend to stay away from the Big commercial companies: Lays, Wise Etc. The smaller companies are for me> In the Northeast,I think HERRS is King. Been on the factory tour and tasted them hot off the line. Their chips have bite!!! Love 'em.
leethebard

28 Replies Related Threads

Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/15 18:18:07 (permalink)

Here's my vote for the west coast

Tim’s Cascade Style Potato Chips began in 1986 with Tim Kennedy and his family in a makeshift 15,000 square foot facility in Auburn, Washington. With primarily used equipment, they began by hand stirring with special rakes small batches of thick sliced potatoes in square shaped kettles, spiced by hand and packaged in Tim’s signature red and white striped bag. Then Tim himself went out to local convenience stores and gave them samples to try. It wasn’t long before he had developed a cult like following of fans anxious to find out what flavor Tim was coming up with next.

In 1988, Tim’s was named “the best potato chip in Seattle.” Since then, Tim’s has continued to be recognized with top taste awards from Esquire Magazine and The American Culinary Institute. The company still continues to receive fan mail from people all over the world.

Tim’s has not only been recognized for great taste. The Associate of Washington Business honored Tim’s in 2003 & 2004 for outstanding workplace practices, which included an on site English as a Second Language program. In addition, the company has won several Environmental Excellence Awards, including water conservation, packaging reduction and a ten year continuing Environmental

Today, our product line consists of Tim’s Cascade Style Potato Chips, Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips and Onion Rings and Erin’s Gourmet Popcorn. Tim’s snacks are produced at our facility in Algona, Washington by a close knit, diverse workforce of more than 85 employees who take immense pride in making the unique, kettle style chips and quality snacks Tim’s is known for. Our distribution area expands over 11 western states, Hawaii, Alaska,Canada and export markets of Japan, Taiwan and South Korea.
    LOOK AT ALL THE FLAVORS!
    Original
    Jalapeno
    Sour Cream & Onion
    Alder Smoke Barbecue
    Sea Salt & Vinegar
    Habanero
    Wasabi
    Honey Mustard
    Unsalted
    Hawaiian Potato Chips
    Original
    Sweet Maui Onion
    Luau Barbecue
    Reduced Fat Potato Chips
    Lightly Salted
    Salt & Pepper
    Tomato & Garden Herb
    Assorted Potato Chips
    Variety Pack - 6 Bags
    Variety Pack - 12 Bags
    Hawaiian Rings
    Sweet Maui Onion
    Luau Barbecue
    Erin's Gourmet Popcorn
    Original
    Low Fat/Salt
    White Cheddar
    Kettle Korn
    Specialty Items
    Tim's Sampler Selections
    Tim's Cascade Classics
    Tim's Tropical Selections
    Tim's Lighter Fare
    Erin's Sampler Selections
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/15 18:25:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    When it comes to potato chips I tend to stay away from the Big commercial companies: Lays, Wise Etc
    leethebard ...why do you stay away from the BIG commercial co. ........ because you don't like the taste or because they are BIG commercial companies?

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/15 18:56:17 (permalink)
    I've never found one that tasted special...Lay's too salty and greasy...Wise is better,and the chip of my childhood, but still nothing special. Herr's is made with care and better potatos...and everything is recycled as feed on the Herr farm. I also like that part...but the taste is delicious...especially their Kettle Chips.
    Lee
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/15 23:30:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wannabchef

o

Original
    Jalapeno
    Sour Cream & Onion
    Alder Smoke Barbecue
    Sea Salt & Vinegar
    Habanero
    Wasabi
    Honey Mustard
    Unsalted
    Hawaiian Potato Chips
    Original
    Sweet Maui Onion
    Luau Barbecue
    Reduced Fat Potato Chips
    Lightly Salted
    Salt & Pepper
    Tomato & Garden Herb
    Assorted Potato Chips
    Variety Pack - 6 Bags
    Variety Pack - 12 Bags
    Hawaiian Rings
    Sweet Maui Onion
    Luau Barbecue
    Erin's Gourmet Popcorn
    Original
    Low Fat/Salt
    White Cheddar
    Kettle Korn
    Specialty Items
    Tim's Sampler Selections
    Tim's Cascade Classics
    Tim's Tropical Selections
    Tim's Lighter Fare
    Erin's Sampler Selections

I've been curious - what makes a Hawaiian pototo chip earn the title Hawaiin? (no pineapples I guess)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 01:41:28 (permalink)
    In AZ, it's Poore Brothers! I stick to the originals, but they make flavored ones too.

http://www.inventuregroup.net/Poore-Brothers.asp
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 02:14:21 (permalink)
    For about 1/4 of the area of Illinois, it is Kitchen Cooked Potato Chips, made in Farmington (population 2500) and Bushnell (population 3400) from potatoes raised around Bath (population 300). It is hard to get much smaller than that. Check out their website http://www.kitchencooked.net/catalog/ and click on "About Us" for their history.
    stevefinn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 05:20:20 (permalink)
    Cape Cod dark russets are my favorite, but i'm wondering if anyone knows how to get Hanover (I believe) steak and Something? chips. I've seen them in vending machines from time to time, but can't find them anymore in Connecticut. Best wishes.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 06:53:42 (permalink)
    My favorite flavor right now is Kettle's Spicy Thai. I also like their Buffalo Bleu but the spicy Thai's are a great combo of salty, sweet, savory and spicy.
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 08:08:55 (permalink)
    In the tristate area, MD,DC,VA, we have a very small potato chip company called route 11 chips. Best I've ever had left coast to right coast.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 14:33:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

[quote
    I've been curious - what makes a Hawaiian pototo chip earn the title Hawaiin? (no pineapples I guess)

as a young sailor I sailing the South Pacific and one thing I truly missed out there was potato chips. ....... the only thing that the ships pantry had that came close were potato sticks .... you know the kind that come in a tin can and when eaten would always poke the roof of your mouth.....
    so you wonder why no potato chips? ............
    .......... Hi humidity at sea or on the sea shore causes potato chips to go limp mo skosh

A Hawaiian potato chip manufacture (Hawaii being surrounded by ocean) tackled that problem and
    found that a thicker chip would stay crisp or at least crisper longer............ and if packaged in a new modern foil bag even better.
    Hence the Hawaiian potato chip style, a thicker chip, that's all it is ...
    ...same with Cape Cod potato chips which are cooked in the middle of the Cape and require the chip to be thicker................
    Visitors to Hawaii and the Cape loved the thicker chip and the rest is history ........
    so now you know the rest of the story.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 15:29:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by agnesrob

My favorite flavor right now is Kettle's Spicy Thai. I also like their Buffalo Bleu but the spicy Thai's are a great combo of salty, sweet, savory and spicy.

I second the nomination for those chips. They have one of the most unique taste that are on the market.
    I have tried Pringles Schzewan chips to compare. They are good, but don't beat Kettle's Thai chips.

mark
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/16 21:19:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

For about 1/4 of the area of Illinois, it is Kitchen Cooked Potato Chips, made in Farmington (population 2500) and Bushnell (population 3400) from potatoes raised around Bath (population 300). It is hard to get much smaller than that. Check out their website http://www.kitchencooked.net/catalog/ and click on "About Us" for their history.

My inlaws live in Pekin IL and bring these to us when they come down, I just got 3 bags one Jalepeno, one BBQ and a bag of the Wavy. Man I love these chips
    nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/17 13:50:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

When it comes to potato chips I tend to stay away from the Big commercial companies: Lays, Wise Etc. The smaller companies are for me> In the Northeast,I think HERRS is King. Been on the factory tour and tasted them hot off the line. Their chips have bite!!! Love 'em.
    leethebard

I have to agree. Herrs are my favorite. When I get a bag of BBQ Herrs, the chip has a lot of BBQ on it. A lot of brands, the chips have like no BBQ on them-they taste plain.

Nicole
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/20 17:05:41 (permalink)
    In San Diego we have both Tom's and Poore's. Both excellent chips! Doatsie
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/20 18:51:02 (permalink)
    I love Herr's chips as well as Gibbles, especially Grandmas lard fried. Both brands are not available in my area, however. I do stock up on both whenever I visit Pennsylvania though.

Corporate chips for the most part do disappoint. Unfortunately the big corporations are more interested in the bottom line rather than putting out a good product.

How does one know if they are eating a good product? Taste alone does not tell the whole story, but it might give you a clue. The biggest clue to a bad product are the words on the bag "may contain one of the following oils". Even single oil chips require more reading. Do you really know which fats are better than others? The corporate chips love sunflower oil, but can it compare to canola?

Then there is the salt factor. For me, anything over 110 mg of salt per ounce is a very salty chip that kills the natural chip flavor. Very few chips meet this lower salt level, they depend on you loving salt rather than the natural goodness of quality chipping potatoes done right in quality oil.

Since I live in the Northeast, my usual chip is Cape Cod 40% reduced fat kettle chips. They taste and crunch as good as the full fat product and meet my requirements regarding salt and a healthy single oil fat.

What about those Gibbles lard chips though? Well, I view them as an occasional treat. I would no more eat them everyday than I would cheesecake. Both taste good but moderation and good sense are the watchwords here.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/20 19:21:19 (permalink)

Poore Brothers gets my vote as well.

"East" coast, I fondly remember my friend's parents bringing back a large can of Charles Chips from their annual visit to Ohio back in the late 70's. sure they are still around.

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 12:36:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

Poore Brothers gets my vote as well.

"East" coast, I fondly remember my friend's parents bringing back a large can of Charles Chips from their annual visit to Ohio back in the late 70's. sure they are still around.

Wow-Charles Chips. I remember as a kid in the 70's our neighbor used to have them delivered. I remember the delivery truck pulling up every week and delivering them in the big can.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7835
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 13:08:06 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, I actually agree with Wannabechef. After my 3 horrendous and frigtful years of living in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) I have not found a better chip than Tim's. Of course potato skins and loaded baked potatos began in that part of the country, and with Idaho nearby, I can certainly understand why.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 14:30:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sftreat

In the tristate area, MD,DC,VA, we have a very small potato chip company called route 11 chips. Best I've ever had left coast to right coast.

I agree Route 11 chips are some of the very best. I've toured there factory, very small operation, everything done by hand.

I especially like the Crab Chips.....
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 14:57:53 (permalink)
    Somebody out of New Orleans (or that area) makes "Dirty Chips." I had them the last time I was in NOLa and they were wonderful. Can't remember the name, though. They come in several flavors including a spicy Cajun which is appropriate for that part of Louisiana.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    beth moffett
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 15:39:58 (permalink)
    Zap's are the favorite in South MS and Louisiana--my favorite flavor is Crawtators-hot and spicy. However, the best potato chips ever are the ones I make at home. I use fresh(out of my garden) red skinned potatoes. Slice them paper thin and deep fry in Canola oil. Salt lightly and eat them warm. This only works with potatoes that are extremely fresh.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 16:33:49 (permalink)
    Dirty's potato chips used to be a favorite of mine when they used pure peanut oil. Now they use a "peanut oil blend" and in my opinion not the same product. They cheapened the product but did not reduce their premium price. To me this is like a rare single malt scotch becoming a blended scotch and expecting the same loyalty and price.

Anyway these chips are still available. Here is a link:

http://www.dirtys.com
    donwbtr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/21 16:42:51 (permalink)
    In New England Cape Cod has become my staple, especially the dark russets. A local pizza joint carried large bags of the Herr's steak and worcesteshire for a while, unfortunately they don't stock Herrs anymore and I've never seen them locally anywhere else.

On the subject of oddly flavored chips Utz used to make a wonderful "crab" chip seasoned with Old Bay. If they still make it they haven't shipped any to New England for a while. In Canada the pickle chips are a treat, we always try and bring some back with us.

dirtdog58
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/26 13:28:51 (permalink)
    donwbtr,big y carrie's the utz crab chip's from time to time.if you can get up to salem.nh stop by granite state chip's on rt.28.small operation similar to the old stateline chip's.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/26 14:17:48 (permalink)
    Stuck in the Seattle airport last Tuesday night waiting until Horizon Air could find a part for their plane (Home Depot?), I made a meal out of several bags of Tim's jalapeno chips. The were indeed some of the best I've tasted. Only wish I could have snuck out to a store to buy a few large bags to bring home.
    Quartz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/09/28 17:39:51 (permalink)
    Ray's here in Detroit. We actually were once the Potato Chip Capital. I do consider us one of the Snack Food Capitals though.
    seanpmi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/10/22 22:01:25 (permalink)
    In Hattiesburg, MS, Rice's Potato Chips were (are) king. I have resided in South FL now for 18 years, but I believe they're still made there. The green onion potato chips are outstanding.
    BlueberrieSwirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: A GREAT small potato chip company 2007/11/20 23:43:15 (permalink)
    Route 11, Martin's (does that count as a big chain?) and Miss Vickie's are all very good.

I like Tim's too, especially their loaded baked potato ones, but I've only been able to find them in vending machines.

And yes, New England Cape Cod makes a good russet chip. :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1