A Good Pizzaria

Author
FoodDude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/01/11 21:31:54 (permalink)

A Good Pizzaria

Hi there. I am the FoodDude and this is my first post. And I just want to say that pizza is my favorite food. A good pizza will keep you coming back for more. And in my opinion, a good pizzaria cannot have an oven with a conveyor belt. If I see one I just turn around and walk out the door. Pizza is meant to be cooked in a standard pizza oven where the crust can get toasty crisp. A conveyor belt pizza oven means you have to put the pizza in a pan which makes the crust all soft and oily (BLUCH!). A mediocre pizza from a traditional pizza oven is better than any pizza from a conveyor belt oven. That's my opinion, what do you think?

13 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/11 21:57:34 (permalink)
    Welcome FoodDude! Great way to start out by talking about pizza! I 100% agree with ya on the ovens. Totally prefer a brick oven vs. the conveyer on a screen... Actually I have a preference for shops that use the old "Bloodget" ovens.. I'm not sure what it is, but they always seem to come up tastier! (Better cooked crust). It could be that the old ones are "seasoned", but who knows.. Here's a link for ya from the pizza trade industry: www.pizzatoday.com
    Again, Welcome aboard!

Here's a couple other links that may intrest you:
    http://sliceny.com/
    http://www.pizzamaniac.com/

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/11 22:34:56 (permalink)
    Food Dude, you are right about the conveyor belt. Had a pizza from Domino's a couple of weeks ago, first one in ages (had a free coupon which expired 12/31) and it was worse than I ever remember. I do the same thing here in Baltimore with sub sandwiches. If the rolls are from a bakery that IMO makes rolls that taste like wet cardboard, I will turn right around and walk out.

So where have you had some good pizzas?
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/12 00:05:42 (permalink)
    I don't think that the person running the conveyor oven knew how to adjust the temperature.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/12 00:25:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

I don't think that the person running the conveyor oven knew how to adjust the temperature.

It's not just the heat... It's the way the heat conducts into the crust. On a conveyor, you have top and bottom heat.. (top and bottom side broiler). In a brick oven, you have bottom heat that takes a couple three hours to get up to usable temps (heating the stone) that radiates ever so smoothly! (Pizza shop I used to manage never turned the oven off, just down to 350 degrees overnight to maintain the stone temps) Granted some have "Hot Spots", but instead of running thru some machine, you have someone "Tending" your pie thru it's process! Only downside of these ovens are that you can get an occasional burn on the topside of your hand if your in a rush... Just my opinion Wallyum!
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/12 01:30:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

It's not just the heat... It's the way the heat conducts into the crust. On a conveyor, you have top and bottom heat.. (top and bottom side broiler). In a brick oven, you have bottom heat that takes a couple three hours to get up to usable temps (heating the stone) that radiates ever so smoothly! (Pizza shop I used to manage never turned the oven off, just down to 350 degrees overnight to maintain the stone temps) Granted some have "Hot Spots", but instead of running thru some machine, you have someone "Tending" your pie thru it's process! Only downside of these ovens are that you can get an occasional burn on the topside of your hand if your in a rush... Just my opinion Wallyum!

Ditto. I've worked with both kinds of ovens back in my college days. The LaRosa's I worked in had a traditional brick oven, but used blast frozen shells. The Godfather's had a conveyor, but we made our own dough. Both places were capable of producing a nicely done pizza, but both also needed an experienced hand on the paddle or adjusting the speed/temperature on the conveyor. I just wouldn't suggest bypassing a pizza place because it doesn't have a brick oven. You'd miss out on a lot of good pizza that way.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/12 12:54:40 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Ditto. I've worked with both kinds of ovens back in my college days. The LaRosa's I worked in had a traditional brick oven, but used blast frozen shells. The Godfather's had a conveyor, but we made our own dough. Both places were capable of producing a nicely done pizza, but both also needed an experienced hand on the paddle or adjusting the speed/temperature on the conveyor. I just wouldn't suggest bypassing a pizza place because it doesn't have a brick oven. You'd miss out on a lot of good pizza that way.

Wally, you have'nt been to my area. Seems that everyone around here that owns a conveyor oven is production not quality orientated... And let me tell you it's bad...
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/12 19:28:38 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wally, you have'nt been to my area. Seems that everyone around here that owns a conveyor oven is production not quality orientated... And let me tell you it's bad...

I'm also speaking personally of experiences from 20 years ago. It's possible that time could have clouded my memory or colored it in a rose shade. I had a conveyor pizza tonight at the place where I once worked the oven. It was great.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/13 08:44:59 (permalink)
    Where was that, Wally?
    FoodDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/13 18:25:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Food Dude, you are right about the conveyor belt. Had a pizza from Domino's a couple of weeks ago, first one in ages (had a free coupon which expired 12/31) and it was worse than I ever remember. I do the same thing here in Baltimore with sub sandwiches. If the rolls are from a bakery that IMO makes rolls that taste like wet cardboard, I will turn right around and walk out.

So where have you had some good pizzas?

This past summer, I made my first trip to New York City. And one of the things I wanted to experience was an authentic New York coal oven pizza. So I went to Lombardi's in Little Italy. It was around lunch time, so the crowds were not that large. I ordered a large pizza with pepperoni, sausage, and meatballs. It was, without doubt, the BEST DAMN PIZZA I ever had in my life. The crust was perfectly charred the way a coal oven pizza is supposed to be. The sauce and toppings were all fresh, there was even fresh basil on it. You can really taste the difference between that and a pizza that was made with ingredients that were canned and/or plastic wrapped. The only problem (and not much of one) was with the meatballs. Not that they were bad (they wern't!) but that with the size of them and the thinist of the crust, they wouldn't stay on my pizza, which made for quite a mess.
    I know some people who have eaten pizza in New York say that there are better pizzarias in the area but I did not have the time to try them all (Sigh!). If I ever get the chance to go back to New York a trip to Lombardi's would be high on my list.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/13 18:33:16 (permalink)
    I grew up working in a Sbarros pizza place in Jersey when I was a kid,learned to make pizza there in a gas fired bakers pride deck oven.The pizza was great, I bought a pizza place about 7 years ago(sold it a year later)and I had the same ovens.The pizza does come out better,but you have to have a skilled pizza person operating the oven ,especially when your are busy(Friday and Saturday nights!),and you do burn your arms all the time!The biggest plus for the conveyors is that you don't need the skill level of a deck oven(constantly spinning the pizza,moving it from front to back,popping the bubbles that pop up),and you can do alot more volume,but the conveyor ovens are insanely expensive,some in the $30k to $45k range new! I always dreamed of opening a place with a wood fired brick oven,now that I consider a true pizza experience.I had the opportunity to buy a $12k wood fired pizza oven imported from Italy for $1100 about a year ago from a place that went out of business,but I had to have it removed from the place(extremely heavy!) and transported and then store the monster,and it just was not the right time.I have two Waymatic concession trailers that I am setting up right now,one for hotdogs,hamburgers,cheesesteaks and fresh cut fries,and the other one I am setting up for pizza ,and I am putting in a gas fired Lincoln impinger conveyor oven,and a double deck gas fired deck oven.I got good deals on both of them and like the idea of having one to back up the other.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/13 23:26:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Where was that, Wally?

LaRosa's. We had systems failures with two of our cars yesterday and I had to borrow Mom and Dad's second car for the night. The kids and I went out to eat with them. They picked and I paid, but it was excellent so I'm not complaining. A small Buddy Topper and a JoJo's salad is my current menu favorite.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/14 00:10:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by festivalfood

I grew up working in a Sbarros pizza place in Jersey when I was a kid,learned to make pizza there in a gas fired bakers pride deck oven.The pizza was great, I bought a pizza place about 7 years ago(sold it a year later)and I had the same ovens.The pizza does come out better,but you have to have a skilled pizza person operating the oven ,especially when your are busy(Friday and Saturday nights!),and you do burn your arms all the time!The biggest plus for the conveyors is that you don't need the skill level of a deck oven(constantly spinning the pizza,moving it from front to back,popping the bubbles that pop up),and you can do alot more volume,but the conveyor ovens are insanely expensive,some in the $30k to $45k range new! I always dreamed of opening a place with a wood fired brick oven,now that I consider a true pizza experience.I had the opportunity to buy a $12k wood fired pizza oven imported from Italy for $1100 about a year ago from a place that went out of business,but I had to have it removed from the place(extremely heavy!) and transported and then store the monster,and it just was not the right time.I have two Waymatic concession trailers that I am setting up right now,one for hotdogs,hamburgers,cheesesteaks and fresh cut fries,and the other one I am setting up for pizza ,and I am putting in a gas fired Lincoln impinger conveyor oven,and a double deck gas fired deck oven.I got good deals on both of them and like the idea of having one to back up the other.

FESTIVALFOOD.... I thought you gave up collecting toys of the food biz... Did you build a 3rd warehouse?
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: A Good Pizzaria 2005/01/14 05:46:19 (permalink)
    Lol!! No I am addict! I could probably sit home and sell equipment on Ebay for the next year or so and never run out of stuff to sell!I actually think that is the business I should be in!I have the 2 Waymatic concession trailers,and almost bought a third three weeks ago,but someone beat me to it,and I still haven't used the 2 I have!!Having owned 2 restaurants in the last 7 years,a pizza place,and a chicken ,rib and seafood place,I think I like talking about food more than the food business Lol! But I will be using the two trailers this year!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1