A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 11:06:08 (permalink)
Billyboy 
Looks like you all had a wonderful day.  I'm so jealous!! But very happy for you as well.  Can't wait to see the Dumpling pictures.

Please plan another one of these soon.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2465
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 11:23:16 (permalink)
Doddydaddy, I did point out Pomme Frites, one of my favorite spots, but we were pretty stuffed from Carnegie at that point.  Perhaps it needs to be added to the next tour!  Close, we ended up on the Lower East Side and then Nolita (north of Little Italy).

Joe, good catch.  I updated the post.  Sorry Margret!

MiamiDon, I wonder if that soda fountain is still around.  Another great spot in that area is the Lexington Candy Shop.  I've had some good egg creams and malteds there. 

Ken, I hear you about the paper cup.  I was disappointed when I first went there a few years ago but it IS a mighty fine egg cream, well balanced and refreshing.  While it may lack the visual artistry, drinking one while walking the streets of the East Village is an interesting experience as that area is like a box of Forrest Gump chocolates (you never know what you're gonna get!).

Benzee, thanks man!  The idea for my pose with the Big Hunk was Tony's and I'm liking it more each day.  I made it my profile picture on the facebook!

Tony, thank you so much!  That is very kind of you to say.  I really had a wonderfful time with everyone and you and your family are a delight.  You and Michelle have a couple of great kids!  I forgot about that "Godfather" shot!  Classic.  Why did you deny me my burger, Tony!  WHY!!??  Graffiti your own train?  Start the kids early, I say!  Great pics and commentary, Tony!!

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 13:03:44 (permalink)
Two viewpoints of the same day!  I love it!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 14:34:18 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
I didn't know you could rent a wife and kids for the day....

And here I was thinking "WHY" would anyone want to rent a wife and kids for the day?  With all due respect to the Fake Mrs. Tony Bad and the Fake Tony Bad Offspring, one really needn't pay for someone to tell you what's wrong with you and not have sex with you.

Heck, even I can get THAT for free.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 15:24:24 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

ChiTownDiner
I didn't know you could rent a wife and kids for the day....

And here I was thinking "WHY" would anyone want to rent a wife and kids for the day?  With all due respect to the Fake Mrs. Tony Bad and the Fake Tony Bad Offspring, one really needn't pay for someone to tell you what's wrong with you and not have sex with you.

Heck, even I can get THAT for free.

Yeah but yours are usually 14 and the law gets called as you leave a place too. " />
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 15:28:24 (permalink)
hey now, Tony's kids might be reading this, folks......chill
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/16 16:11:46 (permalink)
Tony, nice additions...wow that bagel looks like the real thing!!
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 498
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/17 09:41:41 (permalink)
Wow - so far, so great! Sorry we missed this, juts couldn't make the new date work, but will look forward to the next one! Waiting with baited (pun, I had to have an everything bagel this morning while I caught up on the report!) breath for the rest!
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 332
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/17 09:52:38 (permalink)
TnTinCT

Wow - so far, so great! Sorry we missed this, juts couldn't make the new date work, but will look forward to the next one! Waiting with baited (pun, I had to have an everything bagel this morning while I caught up on the report!) breath for the rest!

I agree all around! A great report, and am so sorry that I couldn't be there.  Billyboy, I am looking forward to your next excursion -- sign me up for Nosh 2!  Can the Carnegie Deli and the dumpling place be repeat visits??
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/17 16:37:53 (permalink)
Billyboy

This has been one great trip report so far, the food, the fun & the friends.  One of these day I have to come back to the Big Apple there is just SOOOOOOOOOOO many cool places to eat.

My favorites at the candy store would have been the cherry mash

It is very hard to find an egg creme let alone a GREAT one, you are so lucky!

Thanks for sharing the day
billyboy
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/20 11:02:16 (permalink)
After getting our sugar on at Economy Candy, we walked through the Lower East Side and came upon this sight.  I seriously hope that was a leftover from an episode of CSI:NY!

Our next nosh brought us to Vanessa's Dumplings on Eldridge Street.  I spend a fair amount of time in this neighborhood and since my friend Ian told me about this place a few years back, it has been a regular stop for me.  In fact, I go out of my way to come here, I love the dumplings so much.  

Cheap, tasty and filling and a pretty big menu, Vanessa's is packed most of the time ad finding a seat can be difficult if you have a big group.  Cash only, you get in line, place your order and wait for them to call your number.  Hold on to your receipt and they will use it to match with the one they have.  The soups, sandwiches and bubble teas are great too.

The sesame pancake for 75 cents.  Chewy, nutty, greasy and studded with scallions it's great on its own or as the base for a many a sandwich filled with duck, pork, beef, vegetables...  I'm partial to soaking mine in the sriracha/soy mixture I make for my dumplings!!

My pork & chive dumplings for $1.00.  What a bargain!  They let them get all fried and crusty on one side and keep the other side soft and chewy while the pork inside is filled with the aromas of chive, ginger and garlic.  Be sure to stoop over when eating these as they can be juicy and if you're not careful your shirt will become a map of where you've been!  This was a hit with the group and I think this little place tucked away came as a surprise and a gem to many.  Some remarked how they would definitely come back with others.

Can't make the weekend matches at the club in the Hamptons with Muff and Uncle Biff?  Stop on by the Lower East Side for some urban street polo!  I have seen these guys here before and it was a nice surprise for the group.  Always something interesting and fun happening in the city.

A shot of the Empire State building.  I never tire of seeing this when I'm walking around the city.

Michelle and I were noticing the old and the new and really liked this older building and its green trim and the way it cut a nice figure in the skyline.

Our second to last stop was Ray's Pizzeria on Prince Street.  The blur in this shot is a biker pedaling by.  It wasn't intentional but when I saw it later that night I liked how it came out.  A city constantly in motion, never fulling stopping lest it miss out on something.  There are many "Ray's" around the city and almost as many different stories as to which one came first and is "famous" or "original" as there are Ray's!  This one in Nolita (North of Little Italy) is my favorite and I have found it to be the most consistent of all the slice places I have been to.  As is the case with many pizza slice shops, freshness can prove to be a problem since the pies can be sitting out for a while.  I've walked in here before, didn't like the way the pizza looked and walked back out again.  Today, they didn't have any pies fresh from the oven right as we walked in but they did look good so I grabbed a slice.  Usually if you ask for a slice in the city you'll get a slice of cheese pizza.  

This, to me, is a great representation of a NYC slice.  Good balance of cheese and sauce, the cheese is browned and has some chew to it, the crust is cheesy and crackly and has flavor (thankfully not like cardboard as some places can be).  Karilyn, Matt and Heather said their goodbyes at this point as they had a long drive back to Massachusetts.  Thanks for coming down and spending the day with us and I look forward to the next one!!!

Tony asked if I was up for joining he and his family at the last (unplanned) stop of the night at Rice To Riches on Spring Street.  But of course!!  I forgot to take shots of the exterior and I was struggling with night shots at this point so these first four are stock photos that I have.  

One of my favorite elements to this place is that they allow you to sample different flavors before committing to buying anything.  This pumpkin was really good wth a pronounced pumpkin flavor and a healthy dose of pumpkin pie spices. Very autumnal.

The gingerbread was just okay.  The flavor of the gingerbread was too subtle for me.

This orange-cranberry, while very tasty, is a flavor that I will always associate with Thanksgiving relish and it's hard for me to appreciate it in a different context.

So I went with my go-to flavor, Man-Made Mascarpone.  The combination of the tangy mascarpone cheese, tart dried cherries and creamy rice pudding has ben drawing me in for over 7 years.

This actually DID make it home but not through the night.  And yes, I did share with Dayna!  We hung around outside eating our pudding and talking for a bit before we said our goodbyes and looked forward to the next tour. 7 train ethnic eats perhaps?  Another pizza tour?  Maybe tackle Brooklyn next?  Who knows?  Tony, Michelle, Anthony, Christina and Margret, I had a great time breaking bread (be it a bagel, donut, rye, knish or pizza dough) with you all today and I look forward to many more!! 

I thought I'd tack this on.  Dayna and I took the train to Union Square the day before the tour to see "The Social Network" and we were floored by the skills of these breakdancers who were able to work within the confines of the 4 train!  

Many thanks to everyone who could come: Dayna, Doug, Marisa, Claude, Tony, Michelle, Anthony, Christina, Margret, Karilyn, Matt and Heather.  Thanks for putting your faith in me to guide you around for some of my favorite eats!  

"Eating is an adventure, enjoy the ride!" - Billyboy, 2010
post edited by billyboy - 2013/07/29 05:40:30
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/20 21:15:19 (permalink)
/clapping . . . excellent finish to an excellent report Billy!  And thanks to your contributors too!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/20 22:19:57 (permalink)
Great finish! Those dumplings look amazing, I've made a note of Vanessa's. And while I'm not big on Rice Pudding, my wife still raves about Rice to Riches (she went with her sister last year).

Finally, those shots of the break dancers on the subway immediately brought to mind this music video from about 20 years ago, starting at about 2:00 on the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5ydMEfnJI

Thanks again for another great trip, I always find some new places via your posts.
billyboy
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/21 01:48:20 (permalink)
Foodosaurus, hope you liked the dumpling pics.  I'll get on the scene with another tour (hopefully) soon!  If you're ever in the city and looking for some grub, drop me a line!

Nancy, Baah Ben and I did a "dueling banjos" style write-up a couple of years ago and I really like that style.  Tony does an awesome job and his pics are so crisp and in focus!

Speaking of which, Tony, what kind of camera/settings do you use?  The pictures of the bagel and the donuts just knocked me over.

Thanks TnT!  Definitely will put together another tour.

Ivyhouse, thanks!  Maybe repeats but also looking to mix it up with different stops each time.

CK, thanks!  I've had the Cherry Mash and wasn't a big fan, although for me any cherry flavored candy runs the risk of reminding me of children's cough medicine (I was a sickly child) so it's hard for me to really get behind a lot of cherry candies.  I was really happy that I could share that egg cream spot with the others and it's my hope to find 3-4 proper egg creams in different neighborhoods so if the craving hits I'm never too far away from one!  

Ken, thanks man!  I'm always floored at how busy Rice To Riches is every time I go there and that is all they serve...rice pudding!  For a place that serves just one thing to last this long in NYC is a rare sight indeed!  Thanks for the Ricky Scaggs video!  Great stuff!  I remember seeing that years ago.  I think they shot it in 1985 and the subways have all the graffiti that I used to see when I visited in the 80s.  Those break dancers were great!  David Keith from "Brubaker" has a cameo at the end as the guy in the tux with his date trying to meet Ricky in the station as well as former Mayor Ed Koch on the street.

post edited by billyboy - 2010/11/22 01:09:41
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/21 09:14:05 (permalink)
Great report - as usual - Billy! The only time I got to NYC I was 12 years old and the Automat was the place for  tourists to visit! Love your tours of all the neat places that can be found in the big Apple!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4568
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/21 20:49:59 (permalink)
Thanks to all for the great trip report.  

Hope I can make the next one
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/21 20:55:59 (permalink)
Again, THANKS for an epicure-iously wonderful day!!!!
Maybe you should redirect your talent to behind the camera . . . your writing skills are amazing.  You know how to work a camera too!  I have two sons working on their college essays . . . they could learn a thing or two from you!!!
Cheers!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
Re:A Grand Day in Manhattan with the NYC Nosh - November 14. 2010 (with pics!) 2010/11/21 21:22:50 (permalink)
Now that Billy has finished his story, I'll just add a few things.

The dumplings at Vanessa's were wonderful, but heed Billy's drip warning, and don't share with any one. I made the latter mistake and my punk kids ate them all while I was taking pictures before I got a taste.

When we went to rice to riches Billy pointed out his favorite "go-to" flavor. He then tasted about half a dozen other flavors before falling back to his go to flavor. My wife felt he knew exactly what he wanted and was just trying to score some free pudding by doing all that tasting. Billy is a wise man!

Here is a shot of Billy lost in his pudding. I think the store needs to make him their spokesman...although they may insist he lose the Red Sox lid!

Here was a funny poster...sorry about quality of shot...that sums up the funny theme of the store.

Great fun Billy! Hope we don't wait so long to do it again.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2010/11/21 21:27:49
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1