A Great Cup of Coffee

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
2007/09/03 15:59:42 (permalink)

A Great Cup of Coffee

Hey,
I confess to being a caffeine junkie. Everyday starts with several cups of Gevalia. I love it....on the road it's hit or miss....even chains don't seem to be consistant. Is there one chain that consistantly serves a great cup of coffee?
leethebard

25 Replies Related Threads

harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 13:11:27 (permalink)
    I guess technically it's a chain, but it's a chain of convenience stores. Wawa Food Markets has the best coffee. Hands down!
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 13:23:53 (permalink)
    I drink 1 large cup (probably the size of 3 cups for most folks) of coffee each morning and I want it to be good.

I'm getting ready to snag a coffee bean roaster off ebay and start with fresh green beans to see how much that adds to the overall experience.
    acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 13:42:52 (permalink)
    Be careful Larry, once you start roasting your own beans, everything else out there is going to taste like swill.

I've been roasting for about 5 years now. Not only the best coffee you will ever have, but it's a lot of fun.

Gobs of info and IMHO the best selection and quality of green beans there is. www.sweetmarias.com

AB
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 13:44:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by harriet1954

I guess technically it's a chain, but it's a chain of convenience stores. Wawa Food Markets has the best coffee. Hands down!

Amen on WAWA. I truly enjoy their stores. I like their coffee, the way you order your sandwiches, the fresh bakery products. I wish we had them in Tennessee.

My favorite coffee is Mello Joy out of Lafayette, LA. I like their medium roast.

http://www.mellojoy.com/

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 15:14:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acoustic blues

Be careful Larry, once you start roasting your own beans, everything else out there is going to taste like swill.

I've been roasting for about 5 years now. Not only the best coffee you will ever have, but it's a lot of fun.

Gobs of info and IMHO the best selection and quality of green beans there is. www.sweetmarias.com

AB

Thanks for the link AB. I've been on my coffee "high horse" for many years now but never took the time to go the roasting route. The best and worst thing about great coffee is you can't drink 99% of the stuff you find when you are on the road. Either pack and carry or tough it out at a small coffee house you find on the garmin.

I'm looking forward to fine tuning the process. I've purchased good fresh roasted beans from a guy in Delaware and he sells green beans also but I'll certainly take the recommendation and try the source above.

zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 15:29:05 (permalink)
    We took a 4700 mile roadtrip from KC to Seattle and back this summer. We were very pleasantly surprised to find little independently owned drive-thru espresso places in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and of course, Washington. The caffeine we had at all of them was quite good. Even in tiny little towns, there would be at least one espresso place, right off the interstate. You can imagine how happy were were!

We don't even own an automatic coffee maker anymore. We just use our French press. Our daughter used to roast beans at one of her jobs, she thinks we should try it.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 16:12:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by harriet1954

Amen on WAWA. I truly enjoy their stores. I like their coffee, the way you order your sandwiches, the fresh bakery products. I wish we had them in Tennessee.

My favorite coffee is Mello Joy out of Lafayette, LA. I like their medium roast.

http://www.mellojoy.com/

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I know that you've been singing the praises of Mello Joy for years, Paul. Regarding Wawa, I'm so glad you had the opportunity to stop at one. Where was it, got any idea? I think they actually have 'em down in Virginia. There is another convenience store called Royal Farms, mostly down on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, which I found out about prior to going down to Chincoteague about 3 years ago. I put them in the same class, pretty much, as Wawa. Their coffee was really good! And they had pretty good fried chicken and potato wedges, as well.

Just to let you know that Wawa's having a special until October 31: 59 cents for ANY SIZE coffee (they go up to 24, unless you can refill your own even larger than that!)with any bakery product or Sizzli (come on up!). I got a 20 oz. on the way back home from my second job at 5:45 AM earlier this week and never got back to sleep until 8:00 that night! Good thing I'm on vacation from my day job this week!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 16:13:35 (permalink)
    We have bought all sorts of different coffee brands for our store's employee's to enjoy at work. From, Costco (lowest price) to Starbucks (highest price). The one brand that all of us at work agree to be the best:
    "8 O'clock" (brand) in the red bag. In the (rare) 32oz. size it's a bit more than Costco but has the very best rich and aromatic coffee flavor.
    Anyone else agree?
    Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 16:45:22 (permalink)
    I will probably get a lot of slack for this, but I'm sorry McDonald's has Seattle's best - comparable to Starbucks. I can't have caffiene, but their decaf is the best. Sometimes I'll cheat and get a cup of half decaf - half regular. I absolutely love it! And you can't be the timelyness of service. They are hardly ever crowded at 6:30 am - when I go to work, I'm not waiting in the Starbucks line....what else can I say?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 16:53:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wannabchef

I will probably get a lot of slack for this, but I'm sorry McDonald's has Seattle's best - comparable to Starbucks. I can't have caffiene, but their decaf is the best. Sometimes I'll cheat and get a cup of half decaf - half regular. I absolutely love it! And you can't be the timelyness of service. They are hardly ever crowded at 6:30 am - when I go to work, I'm not waiting in the Starbucks line....what else can I say?

And, your not paying those (obscene) Starbuck's prices.
    djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 17:41:54 (permalink)
    I roast my own coffee, too. I started with a FreshRoast, which costs about $85 and in about 12 minutes roasts enough for a couple of days. A good place to start learning about home-roasting coffee is www.coffeegeek.com.

Whether I'm using my own beans or beans I've bought already roasted, my favorite way to brew is the Aeropress, a $30 gadget that makes a cup at a time, and the coffee tastes terrific. (I have no business relationship with either the FreshRoast or Aeropress people.)

I think a lot of coffee you get these days is overroasted, and I find most diner coffee too weak. But sometimes when I'm out somewhere I'll luck into a cup that just tastes like what coffee ought to taste like. You never know.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 18:06:45 (permalink)
    McDonalds Premium is still hit or miss. Sometimes it is OK but many times you still get a bad cup. On our B campervan travels especially on the freeways we always stop at one of the ever present McDonalds for that first morning cup of coffee unless we make our own before striking out. They aren't as uniform as they'd probably like to be. My choice around home is Caribou over Starbucks.
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 19:43:57 (permalink)
    I know I'm going to take a hit for this, but Dunkin Donuts has the best mass produced coffee I've ever had.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/07 20:49:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sftreat

I know I'm going to take a hit for this, but Dunkin Donuts has the best mass produced coffee I've ever had.

Yep. Groan.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/09 18:56:42 (permalink)
    I have heard that the true test of an upscale restaurant is its coffee. Even after a huge delicious meal, the coffee better be hot and good!!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6466
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/09 19:34:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
    Originally posted by sftreat

Yep. Groan.

Yep, but DD and White Castle both have good coffee.
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/09 19:49:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Hey,
    I confess to being a caffeine junkie. Everyday starts with several cups of Gevalia. I love it....on the road it's hit or miss....even chains don't seem to be consistant. Is there one chain that consistantly serves a great cup of coffee?
    leethebard

I love my Gevalia beans, too, and grind them each day. Best coffee, but a bit pricey. I never buy from any chains as I need my caffeine, just to get out the door....

In fact, I brew my coffee every night, and gently heat it up in the microwave......PERFECTION, and no overcooked/brewed taste.

Since I am single (widowed) and girls grown up, it is just me, so I guess I don't mind spoiling myself.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8498
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/09 20:45:21 (permalink)
    I am not a big coffee drinker-I do brew my own pot in the morning( 6 heaping teaspoons of Folgers-served with about a 1/4 cup no fat milk per cup)but I do not buy coffee anywhere else-even when eating out.Go figure...
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/09 21:09:32 (permalink)
    I make excellent coffee at home,but my husband,Paul,swears the best cup of coffee available is at the Waffle House...He loves it ! LOL..
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 00:31:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wannabchef

Seattle"s Best has been owned by Starbuck's for a couple years.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 00:48:42 (permalink)
    when I lived in the Bay Area, I thought that Peet's Coffee was the ne plus ultra...and I loved the stories about how apparently the founder of Peet's worked with the founders of Starbuck's years ago..but refused to go with the partner's national Starbuck model, because he was afraid of lack of quality control in such a big market.
    It used to be that Peet's would not sell beyond a hundred or so mile radius of their main roasting plants in California...but now, you can find them on the east coast. I still find that their coffee beans and their coffee drinks taste better, and do not have that awful burned taste that Starbuck's inevitably has, no matter what Starbuck's I enter.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 02:30:38 (permalink)
    taccino, they aint known as Charbucks for nothing lol.

I have to have chicory in my coffee when I'm out and about. In my neck of the woods that would be Community Coffee or Cafe Du Monde. I prefer Cafe Au Lait at home.

For iced coffee I use a toddy. I make my own concentrate. Never bitter and it's cold brewed, no fuss! It has 67% less acid than hot brewed coffee. Heaven when my reflux flares and I need a coffee fix.

You can buy flavored concentrates to use in it too. Though I have used vanilla flavored rice milk or soy milk, I love it with half and half
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 06:16:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

when I lived in the Bay Area, I thought that Peet's Coffee was the ne plus ultra...and I loved the stories about how apparently the founder of Peet's worked with the founders of Starbuck's years ago..but refused to go with the partner's national Starbuck model, because he was afraid of lack of quality control in such a big market.
    It used to be that Peet's would not sell beyond a hundred or so mile radius of their main roasting plants in California...but now, you can find them on the east coast. I still find that their coffee beans and their coffee drinks taste better, and do not have that awful burned taste that Starbuck's inevitably has, no matter what Starbuck's I enter.

I was told the other day that Peet had just passed away this last week.
    djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 06:30:12 (permalink)
    Yes, he died last Wednesday, at 87. He had been retired since 1983. The Associated Press obituary said he opened his first store in 1966 and played an advisory role in Starbucks' early days.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: A Great Cup of Coffee 2007/09/10 10:13:45 (permalink)
    I think BhamBabe raises an issue that cuts to the heart of this question.

Chicory??? Yes, I know it's an old Deep South tradition. In many other parts of the country you probably couldn't sell a cup of coffee with chicory. Coffee, like so many other things, is frequently a regional taste.

I remember a couple of trips I made (one business, one in-laws) to Southern Idaho some years ago. It being desert, it seemed everyone walked around with a giant beverage, all the time. Alot of it was coffee. But that coffee was made with maybe two measures of grounds per pot, rather than the 1-2 per cup we expect in the Northeast. My Wife and I were never really awake during the whole trip until one morning when we made our own coffee. When Grandma woke up we had to cut hers with half water and she still said it was very strong.

What serves as a good cup of coffee in one place may not pass muster elsewhere.

I wonder if the Starbuck empire is changing this?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1