A North Carolina take on Italian Hot Dogs

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
2010/07/29 06:11:31 (permalink)

A North Carolina take on Italian Hot Dogs

Interesting article below:

http://foodies.blogs.starnewsonline.com/15308/italian-hot-dogs-draw-a-big-mama-mia/comment-page-1/#comment-12645

It looks good, but is not a real New Jersey Italian Hot Dog despite the fact that one of the owners of this deli is from New Jersey. He is outside of the area where the Italian Hot Dog is popular and probably grew up on the bastardized pizzeria version.

3 Replies Related Threads

fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:A North Carolina take on Italian Hot Dogs 2010/07/29 20:44:00 (permalink)
    John,

Gotta say I love your comment on the page for this.  I also have to say I love the people who say they lived in Jersey and never heard of this.  Obviously, they are from South Jersey.  Italian hot dogs are not down that way, or at least not prevalent down that way.  Kind of like scrapple is not prevalent in North Jersey.  The thing that turns me off the most about the pic is how the hot dogs are cut up into little pieces.  Looks like a Chef Boyardee version of an Italian hot dog to me
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:A North Carolina take on Italian Hot Dogs 2010/07/30 06:32:15 (permalink)
    And it's probably not bad. I've been at work and craved an Italian Hot Dog. Unfortunately there isn't a place in the area that serves an authentic one. So I make do with one served on a sub roll with the ingredients griddled rather than deep fried. Good for what it is, but not the real thing.

I've been to many places that serve Italian Hot Dogs. And I've been going for a long time. But I gotta laugh because after I was  interviewed by someone for Food Wars, an older gentleman called me a rookie and said he had been eating Italian Hot Dogs since before I was born and that he had been to the original Jimmy Buff's on 9th and 14th in Newark. He couldn't believe that many people outside of North Jersey hadn't heard of Jimmy Buff's or the Italian Hot Dog.
    johnlockedema
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:A North Carolina take on Italian Hot Dogs 2010/07/30 20:07:28 (permalink)
    My mother would make a huge cast iron skillet full of sliced potatoes, onions, and bell peppers, adding cut up hot dogs towards the end when the potatoes were crispy and the onions caramelized.  It was plated, not put on a sandwich.  Easy and cheap way to feed three hungry boys.  The only hard part was keeping us from grabbing a piece of hot dog or crispy potato walking through the kitchen before dinner.  I can still feel the wooden spoon on my arm though!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1