A One-Man New York City Burger Tour UPDATED 1-28-10 including write-ups & Favorites list!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/29 16:40:57 (permalink)
I just gained 18 pounds looking at your pictures.  Gawd!
cegsway
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/29 17:26:33 (permalink)
Great reporting!    Had a Peter Luger about 3 weeks ago and IMHO, I thought it was absolutely amazing.  Cooked perfectly.  People keep asking me "you went to Peter Luger's and didnt' have steak?"  Well, it was definitely one of the best burgers I have ever eaten and worth the trip all by itself.  I also like the burger at Spotted Pig in the Village. Have you tried it?
jhk14
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/29 20:52:17 (permalink)
Anyone who recognizes Big Nick's on the Upper West as a great burger spot definitely knows his stuff. Great job! I strongly urge you to try the Madrid burger -- the olive topping really sets off the burger. The beans are definitely mediocre, but the garlic soup is worth it if you really like garlic (It is pretty solid garlic -- I actually watched them make it once because they made it up fresh for my take-out order). The place is just a kick all around and definitely worth a visit.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/30 12:31:11 (permalink)
jhk14 

the garlic soup is worth it if you really like garlic

I love garlic !!  And I rarely get a chance to partake in garlic SOUP!
I'm IN, for a burger and garlic soup from Big Nick's !!!

uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/30 14:38:22 (permalink)
You always manage to capture the messy goodness in food like this:  great photos!
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/11/30 16:46:17 (permalink)
Billy, those burgers looked great. I'm curious about the one from Big Nicks. the cheese appears to have a reddish tinge, Is that port wine cheddar?
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/04 06:50:48 (permalink)
Awesome report! And I'm with Mr. Fox, time to put down the hot dog and go for a burger!

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/04 07:17:14 (permalink)
I am going to NY this weekend and am looking forward to indulging in some burgers as well. I have Shake Shack and Minetta Tavern down as my 2 main stops but am open to more and may make another for a burger after seeing this thread.

Funny how my burger experiene runs the gamut of cheap to expensive but supposedly they are the two of the best in the city according to the editors at A Hamburger Today.
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/04 07:36:29 (permalink)
UncleVic
Awesome report! And I'm with Mr. Fox, time to put down the hot dog and go for a burger!

Haha...yeah what's will all the love for hot dogs 'round here (not that there's anything wrong with that) but it's time to up the burger game...well actually this post effectively did that.

Soccer862923
I am going to NY this weekend and am looking forward to indulging in some burgers as well. I have Shake Shack and Minetta Tavern down as my 2 main stops but am open to more and may make another for a burger after seeing this thread.

Funny how my burger experiene runs the gamut of cheap to expensive but supposedly they are the two of the best in the city according to the editors at A Hamburger Today.

They are both terrific in their own right. Very different but I know you know that. Be prepared to wait...especially if you're going during these crazy Holiday shopping weekends. How long are you spending there? Take pictures and report back how you like them.
post edited by EatingTheRoad - 2009/12/04 07:38:24
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/04 12:55:41 (permalink)
Hey BillyBoy, I agree with your ideas on sliced processed cheese. I grew up with using it on everything. I have started using a Sharp Cheddar, White Cheddar and a Swiss cheese for all my Sands, omelets,burgers and grilled cheese. The secret is to shred the cheese and it melts better on the burger. I shred the white and sharp yellow cheddar for grilled cheese and put one on each side of the bread open face of a grilled cheese sand. I then put one on the other when they are just about melted and browned. I found the cheese sand was a much better quality and cheese taste. The cheese stayed melted in the sand and was liked by all who ate one. My problem with most of the unprocessed sliced cheese is it didn't melt like I wanted it to, it just sat on the burger and did nothing for it. I see that shredding and melting is the better process for melting a quality cheese on a Good quality burger. I am thinking of using this idea in my Cafe when I start my Black Angus burger program in January.......Now the only problem is keeping the shredded cheese on the burger.I am still working on that for our cafe operation so my cooks don't have the cheese all over the grill.
 Billy, I know your a quality guy that is always looking for the best of the best. I hope this idea works for you and your family as it has with mine..............BillyB
anything123
Junior Burger
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/09 08:38:57 (permalink)
Wow, what a great burger journy!! I am a bit of a buger freak and have tried most of the burgers on your list. Sooooooo, whats your favorite? My favorite burger is from a place that is on your list (good looking out) but is completely unknown for making bugers. That would be RUB BBQ. There meat blend and cooking technique is magical!! I'm actually salivating right now just thinking about it. Anyway, keep up the good work. Happy hunting.....
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2009/12/09 08:47:33 (permalink)
Billyboy

I haven't been avoiding your trip report. I've actually been avoiding all trip reports as of late. I simply haven't been a position to look at food, it's not good for me right now.

I promise I'll take a gander after one of my cheat days (although they really aren't cheat days, they're actually go out to dinner ,eat something healthy and have a couple of beers days)

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/01/28 13:05:32 (permalink)
UPDATE 01/28/10 - Write-ups and Favorites list finally added today!!  Enjoy!

billyboy
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/01/29 08:20:09 (permalink)
Billyboy, just incredible pictures! Thanks for posting this wonderful report!!
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/02/02 06:19:14 (permalink)
Not sure what else to say except that that review was THE BOMB!!! Insanely good, BillyBoy!
BurgerConquest
Junior Burger
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour UPDATED 1-28-10 including write-ups & Favorites lis 2010/02/03 12:05:04 (permalink)
Very impressive. Now put your mission on steroids and you have BURGER CONQUEST!

Drop me an email and let's go get a burger. Would love to talk about your adventures on the site!

Cheers!!

Rev
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/02/03 15:17:55 (permalink)
EPIC!!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/02/04 10:53:52 (permalink)
Okay, can I just wax a moment about the importance of the narrative?  I remember looking at Billy's pictures when he posted them a while back, and I came away with really different perceptions after reading his writeup.  Pictures are great, but words are even greater--wonderful job billyboy!
guttergourmet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour UPDATED 1-28-10 including write-ups & Favorites lis 2010/02/07 08:22:02 (permalink)
Great job and welcome to my world.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/02/08 13:21:14 (permalink)
anything123 
I am a bit of a burger freak and have tried most of the burgers on your list.  My favorite burger is from a place that is on your list,  but is completely unknown for making bugers. That would be RUB BBQ. Their meat blend and cooking technique is magical!!

I need to get to RUB BBQ on Monday night for that "magical" burger!! It looks phenomenal in your pic, Billyboy !
Good & messy, and crusty (cast-iron skillet, WOW)
Ironically, I just went to the RUB BBQ for their brisket burnt ends, and their homemade pastrami "reuben crusher" sandwich..
visited on Sunday, Jan. 31st.  I had a "meat up" with TEDDY, (www.pastramiblog.blogspot.com) who flew in from San
Francisco for some pastrami adventures, etc... he is a young 25 year old Polish kid who just loves his pastrami...
(stay tuned for my probable roadfood.com trip report!)

And I had recently read about the RUB burger, and their huge BEEF RIB being served on Monday nights only...
I had comtemplated returning the next day to RUB, but caught up in an orgy of otherNYC food, joints so I never made it back...
But, I will be back !!
IMO, it looks better than that JG Melon Burger.... that one looks good, but "boring"...
I like messy !!  (espescially when the condiments are already all put on the burger for you!)

P.S. Those french fries at the STAND look AWESOME !

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/02/08 14:49:23 (permalink)
Thnaks a lot!!  It took me a while to get it all up there. 

Nancy - I'd love to hear about your change in perceptions.  Anything stand out?

guttergourmet - I feel as though I've read your stuff locally before.  Do you post regularly about the scene in NYC?

ellen - I had a feeling you might enjoy this report!  That RUB burger was reaaalllly good!  If you go, call ahead though as they only make a certain amount for the night and when they are out, that's it!  I've gotten "burger-blocked" there before.  I had the crusher the other night and while I liked it, I don't think I'm as much a fan of the heavy stuff as I used to be and would prefer just a straight pastrami and mustard to a reuben.  The good thing about the Melon burger is it's simplicity.  Some times I like a lot of messy toppings, sometimes just some really high quality beef simply prepared is exactly what I want (Luger! Luger! Luger!).  I wish I has liked the frie at STAND, but mine were to overcooked and totally crispy inside and out.  I think that may have been an aberration though and not the rule.  I'd give 'em another shot, especially if I HAVE to go back for another Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake!!!
itsaboutfood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/05/08 09:18:17 (permalink)
Looks like You get Great burgers and Yankee baseball in NYC
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:A One-Man New York City Burger Tour (only pics and names of stops so far) 2010/05/23 00:58:02 (permalink)
Hey Billyboy,
I know I'm late to the party, but that's an amazing report with awesome pics! I'm definitely going to have to make a trip to NYC very soon. I worked in Manhattan for most of 2004 and used to go to this place downtown by the WTC. Charley's 110 Trinity Pl by Cedar St. The burgers were big and greasy just how I like them and served with thin raw onion slices, tomatoes and a special sauce. I can't vouch for it now, but back then they were great.

Dave 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1