A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2410
2014/06/16 20:34:52 (permalink)

A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete

There are still a number of Roadfooders I have yet to meet and with whom I can share a meal or two and some good times.  I was able to meet up with and hunker down for some tasty sandwiches at Katz's Delicatessen in NYC with the elusive Poverty Pete last month!  We had tried to meet a couple of times before but the schedules just never synched up.  He texted me that he would be in town to work with Dolly Parton and that he had some down time so we made plans to grab dinner at a NYC institution that just gets better for me on each visit.  PP tested me that he was running a bit behind which gave me some extra time to take a quick walk up to St. Mark's Place and 2nd Avenue to grab a chocolate egg cream at Gem Spa.  The sun was just setting and it was a beautiful night for a stroll.  

While some might say I'm "Body by Egg Cream" I haven't drank enough of them to say Gem Spa's is the best but I do go out of my way sometimes to come here and it's one of those drinks (when mixed properly (and Gem Spa does!)) that truly satisfies.

I think Gem Spa is one of the few places left that still put a pretzel rod in their egg creams.  From what I understand from some of the older New Yorkers I know, this was pretty common back in the heyday of soda fountains but I could never get an answer as to why they did it.  Nonetheless, the salty rod definitely pairs nicely with the sweet drink.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Pretty soon, PP arrived for his close-up outside Katz's.  

Fortunately for us, it was a slow night and we only had to wait a few minutes to order at the counter.  

PP went with a chopped liver sandwich (for the road) and a hard salami sandwich.  They gave us a few slices to taste and it was like a milder pepperoni.  They serve it cold on the sandwich but I think if I ever order one I'll ask if they can heat and crisp it up a bit on the flat-top.  

Hard salami.  I'll leave it up to Poverty Pete to weigh in on both of these sandwiches.  

Chopped liver.  

I went for a pastrami reuben.  From this pic I can't tell if there is swiss cheese on it or not but I think I remember it being there.  I cut off a hunk for PP and then I proceeded to make short work of it.  A messy sandwich but a joy to eat.  

And the obligatory pickles in between meaty bites.  PP, I'm so glad we were finally able to meet and have a meal at one of my favorite spots. I'll show you around to some other great eats when next you're in town.  I hope to one day make it to your fine state as I have yet to make it there and I KNOW there is some excellent food to be had in Nashville!

Do you have a boy in the army?  

And a bus stop billboard for a film about a Big Apple love story.  Classic.  

PP, I'm so glad we were finally able to meet and have a meal at one of my favorite spots. I'll show you around to some other great eats when next you're in town.  I hope to one day make it to your fine state as I have yet to make it there and I KNOW there is some excellent food to be had in Nashville!

"Eating is an adventure, enjoy the ride!" - billyboy, 2014

The 411: 

1.)  Gem Spa 
      131 2nd Avenue (btw. 7th Street & St. Mark's Place) 
      New York, NY 10003 
      Ph# 212-995-1866 
      No website 

2.)  Katz's Delicatessen 
      205 East Houston Street 
      New York, NY 10002 
      Ph# 212-254-2246 

post edited by billyboy - 2014/06/16 21:39:28

16 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5081
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/16 21:04:42 (permalink)
    I'm old enough to remember Katz's original sign:
    "Send a salami to your boy in the army".
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10289
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/16 21:22:52 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete is becoming like The Wandering Jew!
    He shows up EVERYWARE!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2310
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/16 21:31:19 (permalink)
    I had an excellent time at Katz's with billyboy. 
    I had my very first chocolate egg cream.  Didn't like it, didn't finish it. I think it must be a case of acquired taste.
    The chopped liver was good. (Is there such a thing as bad chopped liver?)  It wasn't as great as what I had at Junior's, or even Katzinger's, in Columbus Ohio.

I have to disagree with Bill about the hard salami sandwich, though.  I don't think there's any possible way to make it better than how they sent it out. Bread, meat and mustard.  Simple...classic...perfect.
    Poverty Pete
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/16 21:38:01 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Poverty Pete is becoming like The Wandering Jew!
    He shows up EVERYWARE!

I see similarities.  Just don't compare me to The Traveling Man. When I go someplace, it's always open.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2950
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 07:17:42 (permalink)
    And so the choice was TTM or WJ for a comparison....I am locking my doors at night! 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 08:04:57 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete is working with Dolly Parton?  I can't wait to see their duet on Islands in the Stream!

PP-
    I am with you on the egg cream.  I still order it whenever there is a chance, but  haven't quite developed a taste for it yet.

Great stuff as always Billyboy!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1162
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 08:53:48 (permalink)
    Salami sandwiches are the first type of sandwich I remember eating as a little one -- the pictured one REALLY looks good.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 09:43:24 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Poverty Pete is working with Dolly Parton?  I can't wait to see their duet on Islands in the Stream!

I always thought he was looking to work on a project with Linda Ronstadt? 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 09:53:30 (permalink)
    TTM-
    His Spanish isn't good enough!
    Poverty Pete
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 10:16:28 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

buffetbuster

I always thought he was looking to work on a project with Linda Ronstadt? 

I'm going to say it again.   You're no good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 10:32:34 (permalink)
    Since it used to be
    "Conway Twitty and the Twitty-Birds"
    will it now be
     " Poverty Pete and the Poverty-Birds" 
    as the Dolly Back-up Group ??

How ya doin? PP.
    post edited by mayor al - 2014/06/17 10:34:46
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 12:12:11 (permalink)
    PP has got the best gig anyone could think of.  When he was traveling with Dolly until she went overseas, they had buffets every day all day and first class accommodations.  Now PP is back with his traveling band and in California.  He spent a few days in the hospital in Nashville and received at least six pints of blood due to a ulcer.  Believe it or not, he was happy it was just a ulcer.  He jumped on a plane and headed toward his left coast gig with his favorite group, the marching band.  He truly loves his job and we are all glad for him.

I had breakfast with him a couple of weeks ago and he had issues just walking.  Now that he got juiced up with transfusions, he is moving around like a teenager.  He is on a awful diet though." />

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 12:45:13 (permalink)
    billyboy

Pretty soon, PP arrived for his close-up outside Katz's.  

Katz's deli meats have been mentioned many times here but I can't recall seeing anything about the franks...what are they like?

That salami sandwich looks quite tasty, and I'd also prefer it with nothing more than mustard.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 13:16:45 (permalink)
    Billy, I'll be in New York next year. I'll meet you at Katz's, I'll buy a Brisket sand and a Reuben. I'll give you half of each, that will be the best of both worlds..........happy you guys had fun................pnwc
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10289
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/17 13:34:21 (permalink)
    As I understand it, Poverty Pete drives the commissary/food kitchen truck that's used to feed the traveling troupe.
    Is that correct PP?
    If so, you need to post some pictures to show us what the rig looks like. 
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2410
    Re:A Pretzel, Pastrami, Pickles and Poverty Pete 2014/06/18 03:27:43 (permalink)
    PP and BB, I hear you on the egg cream.  I tried one at Katz's before and it hadn't been mixed properly so the balance was off.  I love them but only when properly mixed with the right ingredients.  I've kissed a few frogs in my search for a great one.  I've have a few dependable spots that deliver the goods every time.

SC, I remember having a frank there some years ago on a hot dog tour with Tony Bad, his sister Margaret and Ayersian.  I liked it and maybe I should head back there soon to see how they've held up. 

pnwchef, I'm in!!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1