A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Logan2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 19:41:14 (permalink)
Great pictures and great stories.  But am puzzled on something.  Was GTO064's last posting deleted for some unexplained reason.  I thought there were some things to learn from his or her posting.  Indeed, the postings leading up to the tour had more than a tad confusion in them.  Among other things, how would you like to show up at 10:00 am at the pre-planned place (Popolanos) only to find that someone substantially changed the location and meeting schedule at relatively the last minute.  I found nothing objectionable in GTO064's posting.  Now that it's deleted, you lost the flow of what was being indicated. 

Indeed, what was more objectionable was the posting that said "don'f feed the troll, don't feed the troll, etc" and the other ridiculing the writer for the low number of postings made.  That was more deserving of being deleted.  I wonder if the censorship wasn't misplaced.  Even Buddy Roadhouse indicated that GTO064's posting expressed politeness, contriteness, and even encouragement for the tour.  So why was it deleted?  Because someone didn't like it?  Because someone disagreed with it?  Boy, I would erase most of the postings here if that were the criteria.  Nuff said.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:12:42 (permalink)
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:13:16 (permalink)
what was more objectionable was the posting that said "don'f feed the troll, don't feed the troll, etc" and the other ridiculing the writer for the low number of postings made. That was more deserving of being deleted.

Exactly.  The wrong postings were deleted. I don't feel good either about the censorship in this case.

Bob, I'm glad things turned out pretty good.  A few bumps and things are always to be expected, but you had the opportunity to showcase some of the south suburbs great places for food. And nothing goes perfect.  Nothing ever.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:23:53 (permalink)
BTB

Exactly.  The wrong postings were deleted. I don't feel good either about the censorship in this case.

Do you feel good about jerking people around and having pretend conversations with your self?

BTB, Logan2, and GTO064 are all posting from the same computer. 

Please do not respond to them.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/08/23 20:28:00
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:27:48 (permalink)
Tony Bad

BTB

Do you feel good about jerking people around and having pretend conversations with your self?

Doo da do da do Inspector Badget

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:38:54 (permalink)
Tony Bad

BTB

Please do not respond to them.

edited only to add bold emphasis in quote

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/08/23 20:42:03
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 20:55:57 (permalink)
 Disappearing posts, multiple user names from the same computer... I'm very confused ( and rather p****d off. ) I was seriously considering a Northwest Indiana tour for next summer, but now I just don't know.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 21:01:41 (permalink)
nocarolina

Disappearing posts, multiple user names from the same computer... I'm very confused ( and rather p****d off. ) I was seriously considering a Northwest Indiana tour for next summer, but now I just don't know.

Hey Bob,  Don't let one jerk discourage you.  I, and a lot of other Roadfooders would love to attend one of your tours.  You people always come out in force and have a great time. 
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 21:29:04 (permalink)
nocarolina

Bob,

I don't think I could have said it any better than Joerogo did.  I think you did an excellent job setting up the tour and found some wonderful places to eat at, judging by the comments so far.  You were flexible and worked with everyone's schedule to make the best plans for the whole group.   If I had attended the tour, I would be ecstatic over the great eats (OK, I'd be wondering where all the food went and when I would eat again...).  Based on the results of this tour, I think a NW Indiana tour would be nothing less than a smashing success.  I had a great time when we visited a couple of places last summer, and I know without a doubt that yesterday's group had just as enjoyable a day.  It's easy to say but hard to do, but don't let the second-guessers discourage you. 
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 22:16:38 (permalink)
Pfft, Bob- don't worry about it.  There are jerks on the internet, who think they can act this way anonymously, not realizing that mods can see their IP address and tell they're one schizophrenic idiot.  You know there are REAL people out here who want to hear your opinions and ideas; don't let them discourage you.  Looking forward to hearing about a NW IN tour!

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 22:22:49 (permalink)
Many thanks, joerogo, Buffalo Tarheel and abe_froeman. You're right; it would be pretty dumb of me to let one trouble-making jerk be responsible for a potential roadfood tour not getting off the ground. It's really a pity that there's so many idiots out there who have nothing better to do with their time than interfere in other peoples' business. I haven't made up my mind yet about doing the NW Indiana tour, but, based on what real roadfooders have said today, I'm certainly leaning in that direction.   
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/08/23 22:28:36
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/23 22:40:13 (permalink)
Tony Bad for president.

Bob, you did a FANTASTIC job, we had a great time. That is why I didn't post what I wanted to last night; I felt it was putting too much emphasis on the nastiness & detracted from what an awesome day we had.  As other have pointed out, I would not let one naysayer stop you!

Also if we are doing NW Indiana can we go to the place with the frog legs, please please please please. I can't remember the name right now, but youse guys in Chicago know where I am talking about.

Buddy, what we got on the sample platter was chicken parm (out fricking standing), a chicken crespelle & eggplant strata, which my mother went nuts over when we had leftovers today. Crespelles are becoming more & more common in the nicer Italian restaurants. I remember having one stuffed with veal in Long Beach, California, a few years back.

And yes, thank you to EVERYONE for pushing the times back so I could go get the brats we're all gonna eat in 2 weeks. Special thanks to abe & Mr Maki. (how were the curds? hee hee)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 01:42:46 (permalink)
Bob,

Just one more voice of encouragement from another happy Roadfood customer.  Saturday's tour was a rousing success, appreciated by all in attendance.

There will always be boneheads on any forum who feel a need to stick their two cents in where it doesn't belong.  The trick is to handle them accordingly; sometimes ignoring them, other times taking a soft spoken diplomatic approach, leaving the screaming rhetoric to them, ultimately making them look like the fool.

Remember that wise old saying: "Never argue with a fool, onlookers might have a hard time telling who is who..."

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 09:23:41 (permalink)
stricken_detective

It was great to see you too! I am up for a bit, then back to bed to recover. :)

[link=http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=4lhy15d.68m87uz9&x=0&h=1&y=-mhjn4r&localeid=en_US]http://www.kodakgallery.c...n4r&localeid=en_US[/link]

Try this one.

If you were driving past US Cellular Field after the Sox game was over, what time did you get back to the Milwaukee area?  Must've been a long day!

Brad
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 09:23:53 (permalink)
stricken_detective

[link=http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=4lhy15d.68m87uz9&x=0&h=1&y=-mhjn4r&localeid=en_US]http://www.kodakgallery.c...n4r&localeid=en_US[/link]

Try this one.

If you were driving past US Cellular Field after the Sox game was over, what time did you get back to the Milwaukee area?  Must've been a long day!

Brad
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 730
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 09:26:28 (permalink)
When I visited Bob (nocarolina) while in Chicago in late July, he was worried about how this weekend event would turn out.  He even took me to a couple of the places mentioned above.  (All were fine, by the way.)  As it turned out, none of his fears materialized, and, according to the reports and pictures, the day turned out wonderfully.  I think Bob needs a round of applause for all his efforts!

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 09:48:44 (permalink)
Thanks, Buddy and stricken. I really appreciate all the encouragement from everyone, along with the positive comments about my restaurant choices and the food served. Yesterday I got rather depressed over this whole GTO nonsense, and actually started reconsidering my continued involvement in Roadfood.com. However, all the kind words and encouragement from my Roadfood friends got me over that pretty quick. I've decided that I'm not going to let one brain-damaged moron stand in the way of a potentially great NW Indiana tour, so count on one for next summer. BTW, Aimee, if you're referring to Phil Smidt's as the frog legs place, I'm afraid that it went out of business a couple of years ago. Earlier this summer, I had decided to go there to sample their fried chicken , but when I did a Google search to find out their hours, what I got instead was this very bad news. Sorry. 
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 09:51:44 (permalink)
Thank you, Louis!  
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 12:45:30 (permalink)
chicagostyledog

We almost joined the tour, as we sometimes do, without any notice. We landed on the south side yesterday afternoon about 3:00pm and lunched at the Grand Duke's Restaurant & Deli, located at 6312 S. Harlem Ave in Summit. The Grand Duke's is a fabulous Lithuanian restaurant offering an extensive menu worth visiting. Lots of tap beers from Lithuania and food just like grandma's. Everyone in the place speaks Lithuanian, including us. I suggest we dine at this eastern European gem for dinner in the future, without any before or after eating experiences. www.granddukesrestaurant.com

Morkus & Janina aka Mark & Nina

CSD, I don't speak Lithuanian, but you're speaking my language here. This place looks great, and I'm bookmarking it. Just drop me off at the dumpling section, and I'll see you all in two hours!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 12:47:54 (permalink)
nocarolina

Thanks, Buddy and stricken. I really appreciate all the encouragement from everyone, along with the positive comments about my restaurant choices and the food served. Yesterday I got rather depressed over this whole GTO nonsense, and actually started reconsidering my continued involvement in Roadfood.com. However, all the kind words and encouragement from my Roadfood friends got me over that pretty quick. I've decided that I'm not going to let one brain-damaged moron stand in the way of a potentially great NW Indiana tour, so count on one for next summer. BTW, Aimee, if you're referring to Phil Smidt's as the frog legs place, I'm afraid that it went out of business a couple of years ago. Earlier this summer, I had decided to go there to sample their fried chicken , but when I did a Google search to find out their hours, what I got instead was this very bad news. Sorry. 

I'm not exactly sure what the GTO post said, but it sounds like the gathering was a success nonetheless. Hats off to you, Bob!

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 13:01:34 (permalink)
stricken_detective

Try this one.

Great pix, stricken, as always. Looks like I missed some great food. The chicken and Italian apps look particularly good, and who could refuse a peach sundae? 
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 14:35:14 (permalink)
Okay, my pics are done!

ETA: Link is fixed- should work now!
post edited by abe_froeman - 2009/08/24 14:41:22
stricken_detective
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 16:02:33 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Brad

Very long day. I'm afraid I got a little slaphappy outside Popolano's, where I dropped my purse because I was laughing so hard.

I got back to the 'sha before midnight. Just in time for Law & Order SUV on WTMJ.

CSD: You may drop me off in the potato department while quijote is by the dumplings.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 16:17:01 (permalink)
So does Grand Dukes offer a Sunday brunch ala Polonez?  Sounds like an outing in the offing.  Who wants to plan a trip and start a new thread?

Buddy
stricken_detective
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 17:13:18 (permalink)
nocarolina

Thanks, Buddy and stricken. I really appreciate all the encouragement from everyone, along with the positive comments about my restaurant choices and the food served. Yesterday I got rather depressed over this whole GTO nonsense, and actually started reconsidering my continued involvement in Roadfood.com. However, all the kind words and encouragement from my Roadfood friends got me over that pretty quick. I've decided that I'm not going to let one brain-damaged moron stand in the way of a potentially great NW Indiana tour, so count on one for next summer.

I hate to compare you to Elle Woods in Legally Blonde, but you can't let one little *expletive deleted* stand in your way. (paraphrasing of course)

BTW, Aimee, if you're referring to Phil Smidt's as the frog legs place, I'm afraid that it went out of business a couple of years ago. Earlier this summer, I had decided to go there to sample their fried chicken , but when I did a Google search to find out their hours, what I got instead was this very bad news. Sorry. 

Dang. I am sure they have other good offerings in Indiana.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2920
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 21:43:53 (permalink)
quijote

chicagostyledog

We almost joined the tour, as we sometimes do, without any notice. We landed on the south side yesterday afternoon about 3:00pm and lunched at the Grand Duke's Restaurant & Deli, located at 6312 S. Harlem Ave in Summit. The Grand Duke's is a fabulous Lithuanian restaurant offering an extensive menu worth visiting. Lots of tap beers from Lithuania and food just like grandma's. Everyone in the place speaks Lithuanian, including us. I suggest we dine at this eastern European gem for dinner in the future, without any before or after eating experiences. www.granddukesrestaurant.com

CSD, I don't speak Lithuanian, but you're speaking my language here. This place looks great, and I'm bookmarking it. Just drop me off at the dumpling section, and I'll see you all in two hours!

I'll meet you in dumpling land....
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 22:00:36 (permalink)
Legally Blonde??? Ms. Detective, that was just plain mean! And yes, there's lots of other good stuff to eat in northwest Indiana.
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/08/24 22:29:58
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 23:11:31 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

quijote

chicagostyledog

I'll meet you in dumpling land....

Is there a Blintzylvania somewhere?  That's where I'll be.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/24 23:57:53 (permalink)
Just thought I'd post a group photo from Saturday. We're in the parking lot of our first stop of the day, Simply Slices. From left to right: Mr. Maki, abe_froeman, ChiTownDiner, stricken_detective, Mrs. Roadhouse, and Buddy Roadhouse ( just pretend that I'm in there. )
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/08/25 06:37:22
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A Roadfood Tour of Chicago's South Suburbs 2009/08/25 01:08:26 (permalink)
nocarolina

Legally Blonde??? Ms. Detective, that was just plain mean! And yes, there's lots of other good stuff to eat in northwest Indiana.

Bob, trust me, if you'd seen the movie you'd know that was a compliment.

Buddy
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1