A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/11 21:10:52 (permalink)
Since we're bumping could someone please post the final schedule?
ChuckL50
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/11 22:40:48 (permalink)
I'll post up the itinerary Monday with addresses and travel times.
I'll also print up maps and locations for everyone for Sunday.
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/12 19:17:54 (permalink)
Okay Contingent, here's what we have.

Tour of Milwaukee Ethnic Markets

Date Sunday, October 18th.

Start time 10:30 a.m.
Finish time 6:00 p.m.

An interactive Google map for all of the locations can be found here: Contingent map
The locations are listed in order on the left. If you click on them you'll see the location on the map as well as any related website links for that site. Or you can click the individual location markers on the map to get directions to any of the locations.

10:30-12:00 Meet up at Gloriosos' Market and Sciortino's Bakery on the corner of Brady and Humboldt. Milwaukee Muffaletas, hot ham and rolls, and fresh bakery. I've combined this into one stop since both locations are smallish. Gloriosos' closes at noon on Sundays.

12:30-2:00 El Ray Market 1023 S Cesar E Chavez Dr. Very fresh produce and, I understand, a fantastic butcher shop as well as a small Mexican restaurant.

2:15-2:30 Frank Lloyd Wright system built homes. 27th and W. Burnham.

2:35-3:45 Mekatos Bakery & Cafe. 3500 W. National Ave. Columbian bakery and restaurant. Time for a fantastic cup of coffee. And if there are any figs available they're mine. 

4:00-4:45 Parthenon Foods 92nd and Cleveland Ave. Opa!

5:00-6:00 Milwaukee Public Market. 400 N. Water St. A little bit of everything here, including fried oyster po'boys. Spices, Wisconsin cheese and sausage, fresh fish, coffee and tea.

And then of course, the stop at Kopp's for cheeseburgers and a cooler full of frozen custard.

If you'd like to meet up with us at any point during the tour, I'll be live-blogging the arrival and departure at each stop along the way. Follow me on Twitter: ChuckL50  I'll use the hash-tag  #MKEtour. Or look for me on Facebook.  c.e.laskey

post edited by ChuckL50 - 2009/10/12 19:27:34
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4318
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/12 20:23:44 (permalink)
Looks like a solid tour with the best possible route, given the specific timing needs for Gloriosos' and Sciortino's.  I can almost guarantee that we will not be there at 10:30, but will make every effort to be there well before noon, in time to sample their wares.

I'm hoping we can maybe cut a few minutes off some of our earlier stops so we can spend a little more time at the Public Market.  One hour just doesn't seem like it will be enough time to cover that much ground.

Looking forward to seeing everyone,

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/12 20:42:58 (permalink)
I have a feeling we'll be able to shave off some time at El Rey. I can't imagine being there for more than an hour.

Buddy - hopefully most of us will be mostly done by the time you get to Glorioso's and Sciortino's, so that you'll have about 45 minutes (and won't have to wait in line for food or for checkout as long. Part of the time spent is that we all descend on these places at one time. If the last of the 10.30 people are finishing up as you arrive, it'll be seamless!). That'll shave off some time there, too. I guess the earlier everyone gets to our first stop, the earlier we can get on with the rest of the day.
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/12 21:11:17 (permalink)
Agreed. This is a rough schedule only. Your results in the real world may vary greatly.
Unlike most of these tours we don't have to worry about reservations, but we do have closing times to add to the mix.
If the weather cooperates, this should be a pretty good view of Milwaukee.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 09:05:33 (permalink)
Mr. Maki and I will do our best to get the Roadhouses out of the house as early as possible to get them to Gloriosos' and Sciortino's at a reasonable time.

The Weather Channel is predicting 54 degrees and partly cloudy on Sunday.  I don't put any stock in those more than a day or two ahead of time, so we'll see what they say on Friday.  *Fingers crossed* for good weather.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 10:13:06 (permalink)
There is a slight problem.

I just found out that Parthenon closes at 3.00.

We may have to rearrange the schedule, or drop it in favor of somewhere else.

Stay tuned.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 10:33:50 (permalink)
We may go to Parthenon right after Glorioso's, then work our way back in, ending at the Market.

This is not a "for sure" yet, so keep checking back.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 11:50:27 (permalink)
GUESS WHAT? Glorioso's new hours are 8.30 AM - 3 PM on Sundays! I just called to verify.
While this is good news, we still have to fit our entire day in and get to the Public Market at a reasonable time, so we should still leave there by Noon.

OK - let's try this. Chuck L will have to verify (especially the times), but here's what the schedule looks like now:

10:30-12:00 Meet up at Glorioso's Market and Sciortino's Bakery on the corner of Brady and Humboldt. Milwaukee Muffalatas, hot ham and rolls, and fresh bakery. I've combined this into one stop since both locations are smallish and across the street from each other. The earlier ppl are here, the better, as it'll help if we don't all mob each location all at once. Therefore, some ppl can go to Sciortino's first, while others are at Glorioso's, and vice versa. If you are there earlier than 10.30, Brady Street is awesome to wander around on - there is Anodyne coffee shop, a Tea house (Rochambo), and numerous other places to explore.

12:20-1:15 Parthenon Foods on the corner of 92nd and Cleveland Ave. Opa! The store is small and crowded, and there isn't much of a parking lot, so be aware that you may have to park on the street.

1:30-1:45 Frank Lloyd Wright system built homes. 27th and W. Burnham. This is basically just a drive-by tour. You can pull over, and maybe even get out of the car, but be aware that these are private homes, and while they may be used to people ogling, please don't trespass.

2:00-3:00 Mekato's Bakery & Cafe. 3500 W. National Ave. Colombian bakery and restaurant. Time for a fantastic cup of coffee. And if there are any figs available they're mine. 

3:15-4:15 El Ray Market 1023 S. Cesar Chavez Dr. Very fresh produce and, I understand, a fantastic butcher shop as well as a small Mexican restaurant.

4:30-6:00 Milwaukee Public Market. 400 N. Water St. A little bit of everything here, including raw oysters, fried oyster po'boys. Spices, Wisconsin cheese and sausage, fresh fish, sushi, ice cream, Middle Eastern food, chocolates, bakery, candy, coffee, tea, wine and beer. If you can find street parking, go for it, but there is a covered pay lot (you can get your ticket validated in the Market, which knocks off a couple bucks) attached.

Plus Kopp's afterwards, of course! (76th & Layton)

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 650
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:09:35 (permalink)

Sounds like a fun Sunday, wish I could join you!  For those (like me) who hate paying for parking, street parking around the Public Market and in most of the Third Ward is free during the weekends. The signs may at first seem to indicate otherwise (they're kind of craftily worded), but no need to feed the meter.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:21:26 (permalink)
Kopp's flavors on Sunday are kind of disappointing to me, personally- raspberry and rocky road.  Eh, I'll just get a sundae or something...and add BACON!
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:23:06 (permalink)
Their Raspberry is actually pretty good. Their sundae for the month is caramel apple, which is also quite nice.

NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:30:16 (permalink)
X1

GUESS WHAT? Glorioso's new hours are 8.30 AM - 3 PM on Sundays! I just called to verify.
While this is good news, we still have to fit our entire day in and get to the Public Market at a reasonable time, so we should still leave there by Noon.

OK - let's try this. Chuck L will have to verify (especially the times), but here's what the schedule looks like now:

10:30-12:00 Meet up at Glorioso's Market and Sciortino's Bakery on the corner of Brady and Humboldt. Milwaukee Muffalatas, hot ham and rolls, and fresh bakery. I've combined this into one stop since both locations are smallish and across the street from each other. The earlier ppl are here, the better, as it'll help if we don't all mob each location all at once. Therefore, some ppl can go to Sciortino's first, while others are at Glorioso's, and vice versa. If you are there earlier than 10.30, Brady Street is awesome to wander around on - there is Anodyne coffee shop, a Tea house (Rochambo), and numerous other places to explore.

12:20-1:15 Parthenon Foods on the corner of 92nd and Cleveland Ave. Opa! The store is small and crowded, and there isn't much of a parking lot, so be aware that you may have to park on the street.

1:30-1:45 Frank Lloyd Wright system built homes. 27th and W. Burnham. This is basically just a drive-by tour. You can pull over, and maybe even get out of the car, but be aware that these are private homes, and while they may be used to people ogling, please don't trespass.

2:00-3:00 Mekato's Bakery & Cafe. 3500 W. National Ave. Colombian bakery and restaurant. Time for a fantastic cup of coffee. And if there are any figs available they're mine. 

3:15-4:15 El Ray Market 1023 S. Cesar Chavez Dr. Very fresh produce and, I understand, a fantastic butcher shop as well as a small Mexican restaurant.

4:30-6:00 Milwaukee Public Market. 400 N. Water St. A little bit of everything here, including raw oysters, fried oyster po'boys. Spices, Wisconsin cheese and sausage, fresh fish, sushi, ice cream, Middle Eastern food, chocolates, bakery, candy, coffee, tea, wine and beer. If you can find street parking, go for it, but there is a covered pay lot (you can get your ticket validated in the Market, which knocks off a couple bucks) attached.

This is making me very jealous!  I will be in my hometown Milwaukee I had to move from 2.5 months ago 1 week later than you guys are meeting.  Have fun to all!  Kopps is great but dont forget Leons.  You guys will be grateful its getting colder now.  One day, my brother, wife and I went to another awesome custard place on Hwy 100 called Oscars.....I am not even sure the location is still open....:  http://www.oscarscustard.com/

It was about 100 degrees out and the custard cone my brother was trying to eat was melting faster than he could eat it.  He took his last lick and after a gallon of cream down his arm, he pitched it.  We still laugh about it to this day.

Have fun to all that attends.  You will have fun!
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:35:49 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

X1

This is making me very jealous!  I will be in my hometown Milwaukee I had to move from 2.5 months ago 1 week later than you guys are meeting.  Have fun to all!  Kopps is great but dont forget Leons.  You guys will be grateful its getting colder now.  One day, my brother, wife and I went to another awesome custard place on Hwy 100 called Oscars.....I am not even sure the location is still open....:  http://www.oscarscustard.com/

It was about 100 degrees out and the custard cone my brother was trying to eat was melting faster than he could eat it.  He took his last lick and after a gallon of cream down his arm, he pitched it.  We still laugh about it to this day.

After checking the web site, it's still open. 
Go to it if anyone has the chance.  I think its as good if not better than all.....but there are so many good places.

NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 17:38:56 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

NC Cheesehead

X1

After checking the web site, it's still open. 
Go to it if anyone has the chance.  I think its as good if not better than all.....but there are so many good places.

And for those of you who are into nostalgia, this used to be a fast food place called "RED BARN." 
http://www.barnbuster.net/
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3323
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 18:17:52 (permalink)

Count me in! I'll probably bring Mark & Nina too, but only if they let me drive.

Sampson aka Sambone aka Sam-the Dudley Lab
Green eyes, pink lips, and web feet
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 19:10:13 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead -

I'm well aware of Oscar's; it's been around since I was a kid, and I'm 40. It's very good, but we're partial to Kopp's.
I agree with Aimee's assessment that Leon's quality, while still OK, has gone downhill, along with the size of the servings. Nostalgia means something, though.

Neither of these places is "on the way" to anything else, though, so we'll pass this time.

I remember the Red Barn, and I'm sure many of the WI Contingent do, too.

I think, in Spring, when we're all restless, I might perhaps plan a Custard Tour - Leon's, Kopp's, Oscar's, Omega, etc. We might possibly be dead at the end of it, though.

ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/13 19:11:01 (permalink)
The revised schedule looks good to me.  If anything, El Ray may even be shortened up a bit, giving more time for the Public Market. And  Q is correct. Street parking is free on Sundays as is, I believe, the lot behind the Public Market. I'll edit the map to show the new order.

Sorry you won't be able to join us NC. You're right about Oscar's. Really popular with the Hyw. 100 cruiser crowd too.

Glad you all can make it chicagostyledog, I think you'll find some interesting encased meats at several of these stops!

cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/14 14:21:11 (permalink)
I'm still in! Looking forward to it.

I sure remember Red Barn, I grew up in West Allis (I'm in my mid 40s). Our family did very little restaurant/fast food.  The three I remember we visited were Marc's Big Boy (they gave out comic books! so cool! I loved those) and Zully's Pizza (fantastic thin crispy crust with those big bubbles), both on HWY 100, and buckets of fried shrimp from Dutchland Dairy.

Sorry, just went off down my own little memory lane with the mention of Red Barn.

stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/14 16:15:06 (permalink)
I used to work @ the Oscar's out here back in college.  The owner & his wife are very nice people. He also owns Taylor's nightclub downtown & a new restaurant here in the 'sha whose name escapes me.

We had a Red Barn in Kenosha kitty corner from Paelli's bakery.
jake53005
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/14 21:08:24 (permalink)
I know you have your tour set already so next time you might want to check out the Balzono Charcuterie.  His web site said he gives tours. http://www.bolzanomeats.com/about.htm
He makes cured meats. pancetta, proscuitto, guanciale, etc. Could be interesting to see all of those hog legs curing.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2783
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/14 21:32:05 (permalink)
Jake,

Thanks for the link.  The website says these meats are available at Glorioso Brothers, our first stop.

Jim
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 07:32:48 (permalink)
Going to be 56 and sunny on Sunday!
Could be better, but could be a lot, lot worse.
Bundle up, but leave the umbrella at home.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 16:39:29 (permalink)
Can I get some kind of headcount to know who we're expecting to join us? I don't want to wait on someone who can't make it.
I know Gyp is out - he's sick.

irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 17:51:43 (permalink)
Hubs is out of town (shock - I know)
home late tonite-
I am thinking at least some of the clan-
could be 3 of us- could be 6-
I'll try to pin down a better number-
I know we'll need to bug out no later than 6, due to a birthday obligation.
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 18:54:05 (permalink)
I printed up maps and directions to each location today and will have them available to hand out Sunday, although this is Milwaukee and it's kind of hard to get lost.
See you all Sunday!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4318
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 19:31:58 (permalink)
Four total from the Roadhouse/froeman combine.

Buddy
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/16 20:51:47 (permalink)
Look for yerz trooly on Sunday.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2783
Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area 2009/10/17 09:32:52 (permalink)
We will have 3, but will probably have to cut loose before the Public Market.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1