The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 148
X1

• Total Posts: 937
A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 9:40 AM (permalink)
Hello everyone!

The Contingent has been bugging me to post this thread, and I'm finally getting around to doing it.

It has been suggested that it's time for a Milwaukee Roadfood tour, and despite this past week, we're running out of nice days. So, we must pick a date that works. I suggest a Sunday in October, or even end of September, if we can get organized, as that would make it easier for the Buddy Roadhouse crew to join us. So - any date work better than others?

Rather than just go from restaurant to restaurant, my idea is mix it up a bit. To that end, suggestions for places to go so far have been:

Benji's for breakfast
Penzey's Spices
The Spice House
Lucky's Grocery
Parthenon Grocery
Glorioso's (They close at Noon on Sundays)
Quality Candy tour/outlet
Palermo's Pizza tour/tasting
Lakefront Brewery Tour
Mekato's Bakery
The Vietnamese grocery on National (I'm blanking on the name)
Kopp's
Mazo's
Patterson Orchards
Milwaukee Public Market

Of course we wouldn't go to all these places; these are just suggestions. Add or subtract at will until we come up with a manageable list.

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
    Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 11:06 AM (permalink)
    I am good with wherever everyone wants to go, since my experience of Milwaukee's roadfood establishments is limited to Kopp's and that Serbian place we went to.

Days that will NOT work for me. as of right now:

Saturday, September 19th
    Saturday, September 26th (possibly)
    Saturday, October 10th

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
      Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 12:35 PM (permalink)
      Benji's for breakfast --North Side
      Glorioso's (They close at Noon on Sundays) --East Side
      Quality Candy tour/outlet --South Side
      Palermo's Pizza tour/tasting --?? but yes!!!
      Lakefront Brewery Tour --South Side, sort-of.
      Mekato's Bakery --Hells to the yes, why not add Thai BBQ?
      Mazo's --South Side, near Leon's!!!
      Patterson Orchards --never heard of, so yes!
      Milwaukee Public Market --downtown

I know our friends to the south like Kopp's but it's right down the street, in fact I have a half eaten bacon cheeseburger in the fridge right now. Red Velvet Cake is worth the drive, btw.

As for dates, Sundays are fine, I just need enough notice. Would it be ok if my boss comes? She had a great time @ JRPfeff's Sunday. Once we set a date I can see if anyone else wants to come.

Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
        Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
        Right now I'm good for any Sunday except Sept. 27th.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
          Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 1:10 PM (permalink)
          The only Sundays that don't work for us are September 27th and October 4th.  Mrs. Roadhouse will be in Kansas City visiting her mother starting on September 26th and I will be following a few days later to participate in The American Royal Barbecue Cook-Off.  We drive home on that Sunday, October 4th.  Also, we're planning a vacation sometime in October, but we can schedule around this tour as long as we can set the date soon.

As for where we go, I leave that up to my knowledgeable colleagues to the north.  The Public Market is definitely of particular interest, with the various ethnic groceries mentioned a close second.  Whatever is decided, we should learn from our past experiences and limit the number of stops so that the tour is manageable both in terms of time (usually not a big problem), and space in our bellies (usually a bigger problem).

So pick the date, set the itinerary and you can count on the Roadhouses to attend.

Buddy

jake53005

• Total Posts: 8
            Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 1:34 PM (permalink)
            Speed Queen!!!!

stricken_detective

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 1:39 PM (permalink)
              BuddyRoadhouse
              Whatever is decided, we should learn from our past experiences and limit the number of stops so that the tour is manageable both in terms of time (usually not a big problem), and space in our bellies (usually a bigger problem).

I think it's a great idea to have possible tours of places & grocery stores included, makes for more tummy space when eating @ the actual restaurants. Great idea, X1!!!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 1:40 PM (permalink)
                You need to avoid 9/19-20 so the Buffalo/Rochester tourists can join us.

SD - The Boss will need a WWbbD? bracelet to attend.

How's about Usinger's or Sprecher?

ChiTownDiner

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 2:07 PM (permalink)
                  Looks like Packers was misspelled....

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                    Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 3:12 PM (permalink)
                    Jake's Deli, much as Bud Selig turned me to the Cubs.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 4:19 PM (permalink)
                      jake53005

Speed Queen!!!!

Unfortunately, Speed Queen is closed on Sundays.

I think the theme of this tour oriented away from the traditional restaurant stops we usually make and more toward food manufacturers, (factory tours), and unique food outlets (ethnic groceries) where we can nibble on ready to eat items.

Kopp's was thrown in, I think, just as bait to lure us Flatlanders north of Russel Road.

It'll probably work.

Buddy

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                        Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 7:24 PM (permalink)
                        I can't make it on any Sunday this month ( I'm in Buffalo on the 20th and North Carolina on the 27th ), but any day in October works fine for me. Can we go to Leon's, pretty please?? 

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:21 PM (permalink)
                          As far as a central parking place for consolidating vehicles - my building's lot has ample free parking, it's safe, and they have a semi-public restroom and soda/water/coffee (free coffee) machines on the 1st floor. Semi-public means "I have a key, so I can let you in".
                          I live on the lake, so hopping on 794 over the bridge and into the East Side and downtown Milwaukee is a snap, as well as going anywhere in Bay View or any other South Side location.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:25 PM (permalink)
                            I forgot about Usinger's - that'd be fine, even though they didn't make The Final Four...lol

Sciortino's Bakery is across the street from Glorioso's, FYI.

Patterson Orchards is on 124th in Hales Corners.

I'm fine with Leon's, which is across the street from Mazo's. There's a tiny Asian market next to Mazo's, too.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:30 PM (permalink)
                              Bummer - Quality Candy only offers tours Tuesdays - Thursdays, appointments only, for groups of 10 or more.
                              So - they're out.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                For Sprecher:

Times

Year Round: We generally have tours available throughout the year on Fridays at 4pm and Saturdays at 1, 2, and 3pm. We also have Sunday tours at 12, 1 and 2 pm. Call for exact times as they may change slightly from week to week. Summertime: Between Memorial Day and Labor Day we also offer tours on weekdays (contingent upon on our production and special event scheduling) at 4pm. Call for dates and times.

Holidays:

While we generally do not offer tours on major holidays, we do normally offer additional tours on the days surrounding major holidays (e.g. the day after Thanksgiving). Call close to the holiday to get details.

Cost

Seniors: $3 Adults: $4 (Free with Military ID) Anyone under 21: $2
                                What does the tour involve? The tour of the brewery takes you from our Giftshop to our brewhouse, through our aging cellar to our bottling line and warehouse, all the while guided by a friendly and knowledgeable tour guide. The tour ends in our indoor beer tent where samples are served, questions are answered and usually a trivia contest or two ensues. All adults 21 and older get 4 samples of beer (chosen from up to 10 beers on tap) and a beer tasting glass to take home. Adults as well as kids get to sample all of our seven different sodas to their heart's content.

Reserve Tastings Reserve tastings are done in smaller groups than the regular tour/tastings and feature the company's premier and limited edition products. Each guest receives samples of ten Sprecher beers, each paired with a different artisan cheese.
                                These tastings are ideal for folks looking for a relaxed, all adult atmosphere, for visitors who have been to the brewery previously and are looking for a different experience, or for those who are interested in sampling products more than touring the brewery.
                                In addition to the tasting, Reserve Tasting guests receive an etched tasting glass that is theirs to take home. Reserve Tasting guests are welcome to join a tour group to see the brewery if they would like.
                                Reserve tastings cost $15 per person and are offered on weekends. Tour times vary by demand, so it is best to call ahead for availability.
                                Guests must be 21 years of age to participate in the Reserve Tastings, and space is limited, so reservations are required.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                  Unless we arrange a private tour, it looks like Lakefront Brewery does not do tours on Sundays. Cost for the tour is $6, plus the glass and free beer, as compared with Sprecher, which is $3, plus the glass, free beer, and free soda.

stricken_detective

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                    My vote would be for Sprecher then. :)

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                      Oh, I forgot El Rey, the Mexican grocery...which is on the way to Mekato's and that area....

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                        • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                        Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                        Sprecher also has the advantage of being renowned on this board for their Root Beer, and also being an attraction for the non-beer drinkers in the group THE CONTINGENT.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                          Here's the (maybe?) problem I see with Sprecher, much as I'd like to go: It's in Glendale, which is pretty far from the rest of the areas we'd be visiting, and they have tours at 12, 1, 2 and 3, which would be right in the middle of everything else we're planning.
                                          If we go to Glorioso's, we have to be there before Noon, 'cause they close.
                                          I would think, if we went, we'd have to go to the latest one - the 3 PM, which means leaving Milwaukee around 2.15 to be sure of getting there by then.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                                            Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Thu, 09/10/09 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                            The line-up of candidates looks great. If Sprecher is out because of location, is there anyplace on the southside that might offer a tour on Sunday? Klements maybe?

The only weekend I know I'll be away is October 13-16. However, scheduling priority should probably be given to the Illinois side of The Contingent.

Anyway, looks great, and now I'm craving oysters from the Public Market. And I'm craving corned beef hash from Benji's. And... well, you get the picture.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 1:55 AM (permalink)
                                              X1

Here's the (maybe?) problem I see with Sprecher, much as I'd like to go: It's in Glendale, which is pretty far from the rest of the areas we'd be visiting, and they have tours at 12, 1, 2 and 3, which would be right in the middle of everything else we're planning...I would think, if we went, we'd have to go to the latest one - the 3 PM, which means leaving Milwaukee around 2.15 to be sure of getting there by then.

That could work to our advantage too.  Usually by mid afternoon we're stuffed.  A break from eating coupled with a good long walk around the brewery could be a welcome break in the middle of all that food.

Also, check your times.  In your original Sprecher post you indicated that the last tour was at 2:00pm on Sundays.  Here you're saying it's at 3:00pm.  Best to make sure before we drive out there.

Buddy

X1

• Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                                Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 6:52 AM (permalink)
                                                You have to call for an appointment for the tour anyway, so I'll make sure.
                                                The sidebar on the site said 3, and I was looking at that.

The thing is, we may be nibbling, but since this is unlike the other tours, I don't see us being "stuffed" like we usually are.

Gyp

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  I'd like to do a McBob's/Jake's/Speed Queen run. It could probably be accomplished in an hour or so. 

pokinielsen

• Total Posts: 7
                                                    Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:38 AM (permalink)
                                                    This would be a dream trip. Wish we could make it. Love Wisconsin! I'll keep an eye out for the posts letting us know how well it went.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      As already mentioned - Speed Queen is not open on Sundays.

And McBob's AND Jake's? Seems like overkill. We really would be stuffed, then!

ChuckL50

• Total Posts: 69
                                                        • Location: Oak Creek, WI
                                                        Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                        I'm in.
                                                        Any Sunday should work for me.
                                                        Many of these places also have outdoor seating. So the sooner the better, around here you never know when the first snow will fly.
                                                        Breakfast at Benji's would be a good start. Glorioso's and Scartino's !!!!
                                                        The Milwaukee Public Market is a must see. Any excuse for a fried oyster po'boy!
                                                        The Sprecher Brewery is just off the freeway, and is only 10 minutes from downtown.
                                                        I'll set up a public map on Google tonight to pin point all the locations mentioned so everyone can visualize all the choices. 
                                                        Unfortunately the new Asian market being built in my hood doesn't look like it will be open before this gathering.

Gyp

• Location: Wauwatosa, WI
                                                          Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:46 AM (permalink)
                                                          X1

As already mentioned - Speed Queen is not open on Sundays.

We should do this today then. Who's in.

X1

Re:A Roadfood Tour of the Milwaukee area Fri, 09/11/09 7:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            If you fetch me, and I'm back by 3, I'm in.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 148

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com