Helpful ReplyHot!A Road-trip to the South

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 08:27:09 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
I've had great Virginia BBQ, sadly Buz and Neds wasn't it, the sides were excellent, the ribs were just "OK" and the pulled pork was dismal. on the other hand - Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg, Q Bbq in Richmond (although it's not considered true Virginia style) and Hillbilly Reds in Sandston (near the Richmond Airport) were excellent (although the sides at Hillbilly Red's suffered)

I've had the ribs and the pulled pork at Buz and Ned's and I thought both were great. It's certainly one of the highlights of all the barbecue I've had.

I guess we have a difference of opinion. I went with Buffetbuster about 4 years ago and neither of us cared for the bbq, I've had much better elsewhere.. The sweet potato fries and fried apples were were really good though.

You're right, we do have a difference of opinion. I think I've been there three different times and have loved it each time.

I think I've mentioned before how strange I find it that you can read two reviews of a restaurant and they can be so completely different. I also find that in my Orchestra, how two highly trained musicians can have utterly different viewpoints of conductors, soloists, phrasing, repertoire, everything. It's fascinating, if not a bit frustrating.

Oh, and I went to Pierce's on my first trip to Richmond and I much preferred Buz and Ned's.

We hit 3 bbq joints on our trip in back in 2010. Buz and Ned's, Allman's in Fredericksburg and Pierce's
As far as the pulled pork, Pierce's was the clear winner. Buz and Ned's sides were the best and Allman's clearly had the best slaw.

Everyone else, I strongly suggest you do check out Heartbreak Soup's blog. Grant and Marie clearly know their BBQ and have never steered me wrong.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 08:46:46 (permalink)
I had the spare ribs at Buzz & Ned's. I think we are comparing different meats.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 08:50:09 (permalink)
We had the ribs too- they were a solid 5-6 out of 10.
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 09:32:35 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I had the spare ribs at Buzz & Ned's. I think we are comparing different meats.

I think I've only had the baby backs.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 11:19:14 (permalink)
Do you think the OP is analyzing the choices and what ensues when you challenge people to their choices in barbecue?

He's never been back.  Hmmmm

We must all remember that taste is individual and the manner of cooking and finished product aren't always consistent. 

My new favorite place for Texas style ribs is a smallish chain called The Rib Crib.  You can find it in a few states,

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 11:28:11 (permalink)
mar52
Do you think the OP is analyzing the choices and what ensues when you challenge people to their choices in barbecue?

He's never been back.  Hmmmm

Of course, I never doubted it for a second. Like I said before with the exception of the very few (most likely older retired folks) brand new members posting to the forum have some sought of ulterior motive.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 12:01:49 (permalink)
Heartbreaksoup
Eastern NC is coming soon - I'm spending a couple of days at all the best-known places in November.

Chicken mull is a dish made with chicken, milk, butter, and some seasonings.  Some of the best places around Athens serve it, and the Danielsville Volunteer Fire Department has a huge shindig every February where they serve it to hundreds.  It's also sold as chicken stew at The Beacon in Spartanburg SC:
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/arts-culture/mull

As for Texas, kind of waiting on a little better return on the ad revenue to get us that far.  So tell your friends, like us on Facebook, etc.!  

Have you written, or would you consider writing, articles on the best sides you have encountered:  best slaw, best tater-salad, best BBQ beans, best hush puppies ....  or Brunswick Stew?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 13:05:17 (permalink)
Mull sounds Dull!
Is that all that's in it?
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 13:18:05 (permalink)
The things you learn here.
When I grew up in Appalachia in the 50's, I ate what you are calling Chicken Mull often, but never knew till today that it had a name !

My mother and grandmother had multiple ways of extending any small amount of food into a whole meal.
Boiled potatoes and either corn bread or biscuits accompanied EVERY meal, and you liked what you got.
Those ladies that endured the Depression and WW11,and still fed a family, deserved a commendation.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10487
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 13:34:05 (permalink)
I had chicken stew over the weekend at Midway BBQ in Buffalo, SC.  It sure sounds like mull and was quite tasty.

Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 467
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 14:20:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
I had chicken stew over the weekend at Midway BBQ in Buffalo, SC.  It sure sounds like mull and was quite tasty.

Yes, Midway's mull / stew is another one, but a little thinner than I like it.  Chub's BBQ in Ila, GA makes a really nice, thick version of it, probably my favorite.  Anybody traveling through NE Georgia or SC without a lot of time to explore who'd like to try it can find it at Banjo's BBQ in Commerce, only about three miles off I-85.  So bear that in mind if anybody's heading through Georgia to Charlotte for the Roadfood get-together in October!

It is always called mull in Georgia, and often/usually called stew in SC.  No idea why there's a language divide at Lake Hartwell.

MetroplexJim, we've occasionally considered some list-type favorites stories and might do something like that for sides during a catch-up week one day down the line.  But for the record, my favorite slaw, by miles, is the mustard slaw at Brooks Barbeque in Muscle Shoals AL.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/15 17:10:37 (permalink)
Heartbreaksoup,
Saw your picture of your platter at Midway BBQ so now I can visualize what Mull & Hash looks like.
Looks like the hash would be good over rice or cornbread for soppin' up purposes.
Still think the mull could be helped with some potatoes and chopper veggies in it!
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/22 01:34:14 (permalink)
I know many BBQ lovers can't dine at a BBQ joint that doesn't have ribs or brisket. But I am a huge fan of Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City Tennessee. Just awesome pulled BBQ sandwiches and fresh cut fries and some really great baked beans. Simple but delicious to me!
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 467
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/22 14:57:23 (permalink)
Ridgewood is a must-visit, but the pork is not pulled.  It is smoked, chilled, sliced and grilled.

http://marieletseat.com/2...arbecue-bluff-city-tn/
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/23 02:38:15 (permalink)
Heartbreaksoup
Ridgewood is a must-visit, but the pork is not pulled.  It is smoked, chilled, sliced and grilled.

http://marieletseat.com/2...arbecue-bluff-city-tn/

I stand corrected. I already knew it was sliced so I don't know why I put it was pulled.
GA1dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/23 21:06:36 (permalink)
JayL
I don't know much about Georgia bbq, but can say that South Carolina barbecue is pretty much a waste of time. 

New to the site,,, Greetings everyone.

As a South Carolina BBQ judge, I have to say "That's brutal man!!" LOL! I guess it depends on what you are in contact with. Here in the Upcountry and throughout the competition circuit I am blessed with some of the most succulent pork in the Southeast. Granted, the cooks are smart enough to know if you want to win, don't turn in mustard based sauce,,,, or even NC vinegar based.

If you are traveling through South Carolina, search "100 mile BBQ" for a list of top joints in the state. I certainly can't vouch for all of them, but it'd be a good starting point.

-Jason
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/23 21:41:43 (permalink)
Thanks Jason.

I'm sorry to hear that "sweet & sticky" means competition success in South Carolina.

I think the regional differences should be the standard.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2014/07/23 21:54:32
GA1dad
Junior Burger
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/23 22:49:09 (permalink)
I understand what you mean Jim. We get an occasional mustard or traditional NC, but they never really stand a chance. Vinegar was the standard for a long time, but the sweet movement has taken over. KC Masterpiece just simply changed things. Humans just have a love for sweet. It's more of a sweet-n-heat than sweet-n-sticky I think. And I believe it reaches far outside the SC borders. There are a lot of judges out there that like the dessert style bbq, and a lot of those judges travel around the country from cookoff to cookoff (especially in KCBS). Sadly their personal part of the equation doesn't change as they cross state lines, so regional differences may not have as much of an impact as you would think.

Sometimes I feel a little like the oddball as I prefer a dry rib over wet. And the pork box can be sauced or not for me, as long as I get to enjoy the "pork" flavor along with the other seasonings. I do my very best to judge each sample on it's own merits. But my score is only part of an overall average of the other judges. A prime example would be our first entry last Saturday. I took a bite and my first thought was " this was clearly cooked over wood smoke and not a propane burner", which for me was a good thing. But afterwards I heard several others mention a displeasing aftertaste from too much smoke I guess. I guess that's why the cooks  are scored on an average,

For what it's worth, in my fridge you will find sweet-n-sticky, mustard based, NC vinegar, Asian influenced, a Virginia red vinegar variety ( all homemade ),,, and a sweet baby rays for my 8 year old daughter.

-Jason
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/24 07:27:12 (permalink)
Jason

I have judged and competed. I quit competing when I had changed the way I cook in order to try to meet the expectations of the judges. By then I stopped liking what I cooked.

I agree that the sweet preference is everywhere, not just in SC. I was hoping the Midwest style wouldn't be the standard in the Southeast.

Jim
GA1dad
Junior Burger
Re: A Road-trip to the South 2014/07/24 12:20:20 (permalink)
I hear you Jim,,, it's hard to be passionate for something if you can't do it "your" way.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1