A Sad day

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bravehearteire
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 07:52:27 (permalink)
One of the reasons that we grew up with morals are the role models we had like Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers. Once childrens programming turned exclusively to selling products (most cartoons now are just long commercials for toys) they stopped teaching and started being hucksters. Captain Kangaroo believed that the first six years of a childs life formed their outlook on the world. Is it any wonder that kids today are more cynical and violent? In our day, we woke up to Captain Kangaroo. Now kids wake up to violent TV news and sleazy talk shows like Springer. The saddest days are yet to come.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 08:42:16 (permalink)
AMEN TO BRAVEHEARTEIRE!!! you have it so right- that's the problem of today- they don't have the kids shows that we ( including a large group of people here) had. it's sad that they are leaving us--but they still live on (especially mr rogers) in reruns and maybe, just maybe, parents of the younger ones can get them back to those basics. hey-- i can hope can't i??

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 10:38:36 (permalink)
I began watching TV in 1949 and I'm an adult child of normal parents. My morals came from my parents and grandparents. They were my role models. There was lots of violence on the cowboy and police programs back in the 50's and I watched them all. My parents never told me I couldn't watch a TV show because it was too violent and I owned every cap gun that was ever made. Toys and food products were heavily advestised on TV. Mattel adverstised their "Burp Gun" and "Fanner 50" six shooter during the Saturday morning cartoon shows. I discovered Ovaltine, Wonder Bread, and Good & Plenty on the tube. Today, TV isn't the problem, it's parents. In the final analysis, our morals and values are instilled by our parents. This isn't to say that TV doesn't influence the culpable. Today's TV programming is better than ever with PBS, The Discovery Channel, and the History Channel, just to name a few. What about the magic "parent control" on the cable box? Responsibility, morality, and role modeling are what makes good parenting.
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 10:56:19 (permalink)
I agree with my Chi-town friend on this also. I was born in '57 and grew up watching TV. Yes, I watched Captain Kangaroo. But it was my parents and other family members who had the greatest impact on my morals and values. Along with most of America, I was glued to the TV watching those gloomy days after JFK was killed. I watched the news each night with my parents and saw film from Viet Nam and casualty totals posted on the screen. I saw the riots of '65 and again in '68 after MLK was killed.

I watched the show Combat, played "Army" with my friends outside, and watched the Hippies migrate to San Francisco in the Summer of Love.

But I learned right from wrong from my parents and grandparents, not from the tube.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 10:57:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I began watching TV in 1949 and I'm an adult child of normal parents. My morals came from my parents and grandparents. They were my role models, not Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers. There was lots of violence on the cowboy and police programs back in the 50's and I watched them all. My parents never told me I couldn't watch a TV show because it was too violent and I owned every cap gun that was ever made. Toys and food products were heavily advestised on TV. Mattel adverstised their "Burp Gun" and "Fanner 50" six shooter during the Saturday morning cartoon shows. I discovered Ovaltine, Wonder Bread, and Good & Plenty on the tube. Today, TV isn't the problem, it's parents. In the final analysis, our morals and values are instilled by our parents. This isn't to say that TV doesn't influence the culpable. Today's TV programming is better than ever with PBS, The Discovery Channel, and the History Channel, just to name few. What about the magic "parent control" on the cable box? Responsibility, morality, and role modeling are what makes good parenting.

That's True! Growing up in the 50s, I had every new gun that came out. The Rifleman's was a prize. Even Disney had very violent shows. One Title song went: "Texas John Slaughter made 'em do what they oughta, 'cause if they didn't, they died." Most of those guns have been replaced by game pads and joysticks, but parents are still the safety catch.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 14:10:02 (permalink)
When I was young, radio chapter shows were all but phased out...I have heard some of the old kids' shows from the 1940s and find it's a fascinating way to spend an hour. I wish we had those nowadays, instead of all this ClearChannel BS...garbage music over and over again and again, with banal commercials in between!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 14:24:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

But I learned right from wrong from my parents and grandparents, not from the tube.

I agree that parents teach right from wrong and i personally meant nothing in my feelings of loss for the Captain----but i do beleive that it truly "takes a village" to raise a generation.without my parents id be lost,and i KNOW that my kids feel the same about my wife and I--they have both said so, and i am proud of both my parent and my parenting, but i am eternally grateful to ALL those that helped in raising me to be a caring and loving parent and to ALL those that helped me do the same. I am not into worrying about who help me and mine---im just grateful for the help. Enuff said. Bless you all---and your children!
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 15:02:47 (permalink)
tiki, one of the great features of this site is having different and differing thoughts/opinions expressed and heard. I appreciate your thoughts and the time you took to express them.
Please know that I was simply expressing my thoughts too. Keep on posting!
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 15:20:24 (permalink)
I remember when the Captain would come on in the mornings, the theme music would play and wouldn't stop until he hung the big key ring up in the Treasure House. I guess he has hung up the key ring for the last time, and the music has stopped for good. amd I am very saddened.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 16:04:16 (permalink)
Whenever a significant person in our life passes on, be it family, friend, or in this case, a respected television personality, a little part of us goes too. In the case of Bob Keeshan, I'd like to say:

And now he's on a journey,
To where we do not know,
And in his passing through our lives,
He's helped us all to grow.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 16:35:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

tiki, one of the great features of this site is having different and differing thoughts/opinions expressed and heard. I appreciate your thoughts and the time you took to express them.
Please know that I was simply expressing my thoughts too. Keep on posting!

I feel the same way Cheesewit and i am pleased to hang out online with such a fine bunch of folks! Thanks
spweimerskirch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 18:09:27 (permalink)
The Capt. passes and all our eyes get a little wetter. I remember many a cold winter morning when The Capt. warmed my heart and mind. Too bad my daughter will not have the great opportunity to watch him.
bravehearteire
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 20:09:57 (permalink)
Good point chicagostyle. Another difference is that many families today are two income families, which means that many children are latchkey kids. Sometimes they do not have the luxury of having a parent around to give them guidance. My Dad worked full time, and my Mom worked part-time, but they were always there to teach me right from wrong.
Also, I knew the difference between reality and make-believe. I knew when John Wayne got shot, it was pretend. Now when certain types of music and lifestyles glorify violence, it's real. How many rappers shot each other for real? They don't just write the songs, they live the lifestyle.
It truly does take a village to raise a child. I've always thought that teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world, yet in many places they cannot get quality people to go into teaching because they are so underpaid.
I'll never understand how a sports star can get $20 million a year to play a game, but a teacher who shapes the lives of hundreds and perhaps thousands of young minds in their career can be offered a measly salary most people would pass on.
I was lucky to have some very wonderful teachers growing up, who cared and took the time to try to help and understand each child who wanted to learn, and I'll never forget them. God bless each and every one of them!
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 20:39:31 (permalink)
I will greatly miss the Captain. Even when I was a teenager, I would get up to watch the ping pong balls pummel the moose. It made me feel that nothing worse than that would happen to me for the day. He helped make high school hell a bit more bearable.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: A Sad day 2004/01/24 21:05:17 (permalink)
Very few people ever leave such a gentle and profound legacy . That has touched so many, Yes I will morn The Captains passing, and
I will celabrate the joy He brought to so many.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: A Sad day 2004/02/02 17:37:04 (permalink)
A good friend of mine called me the day after the Captain died. He told me he really felt sad, and this is a guy who isn't exactly known for showing his soft-hearted side. I know my friend grew up with a very volatile father, and we talked awhile.

He said that sitting in front of the TV watching Captain Kangaroo allowed him to block out the chaos around him. It was a time he could spend feeling peaceful and normal.
jem9334
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: A Sad day 2004/02/27 20:10:21 (permalink)
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: A Sad day 2004/03/09 08:22:51 (permalink)
I'm not sure why I was drawn to this topic. I didn't watch Captain Kangaroo and seldom saw Howdy Doody. We bought our first television set in 1958, when I was a junior in high school. Just the same, as I read the various previous comments, tears began to stream down my face. These shows obviously touched a great many now adult Americans. What a tribute to the stars and producers of these shows. My oldest two children grew up watching Mr. Rogers. My youngest two focused more on Sesame Street. Both were wonderful influences on my children.

Today's television is what we have to deal with today. The shows of the past are just that. Parenting is best done by example. Everything I have done in front of my children - intentional or not - is teaching them a lesson. My youngest is now nineteen. My opportunity to influence the young is with my grandchildren. I feel good about the future. My 23 year old son spent an inordinate amount of time (still does) watching television. At four, his favorite show was National Geographic Explorer. Don't ask me why. He was able to teach me, because of what he learned on television. Now he is drawn to Discovery and the History Channel. Does that mean that I am pleased with everything I see him watching on TV? Absolutely not!
But, overall I am confident that he is becoming a man I can be proud of.

Learning is not only a lifelong opportunity - it is a lifelong obligation. Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers were successful by being an early part of that lifelong process.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1