The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

A Sad day

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48
tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:03 PM (permalink)
I know that i mentioned in a forum on how we become foodies that my fascination with food really got off the ground on the day that Captain Kangeroo read "Stone Soup"--still to this day my favorite story. Well,sadly, today in Vermont, the Captain passed away,and this is one grown man that is not afraid to admit that there tears in my eyes as i write this. He will be missed

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:10 PM (permalink)
    I feel the same way !!! He was a big source of enjoyment and positive influence in my younger years !!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
      RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:26 PM (permalink)
      The Captain, Mr. Green Jeans, Moose, Bunny Rabbit. I adored that show. I can still hear the theme music in my head. It is sad. He meant a lot to so many of us.

"Stone Soup" was my favorite story too. At least until I had kids and read them "If you give a Moose a Muffin". Made me laugh out loud every time.

Lone Star

RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:37 PM (permalink)
        In honor of The Captain and Mr. Moose:

Knock, Knock!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
          RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:38 PM (permalink)
          This week also marked the passing of Ray Rayner. Ray played the role of "Oliver O Oliver" who was the sidekick to Bozo the Clown. Ray also hosted the "Dick Tracy Show" as well as his own morning breakfast show which starred Chelveston, a live frisky duck and Cuddly Duddly, a large dog puppet. Ray was 84.

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
            RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
            That is so sad-I met him several years ago in Raleigh at a book signing. My son was honored to be his driver for a day. He commented many times on that adventure and what a wonderful man he was.
            Isn't it sad that tomorrows youth will miss so many wonderful people that many of us had the pleasure to see on TV?

Lone Star

RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:56 PM (permalink)
              It is sad. I miss Lambchop too.

chicagostyledog

RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 3:57 PM (permalink)
                Before the Captain Kangaroo Show, I remember watching Bob Keeshan star as Clarabell the Clown on the Howdy Dooty Show which aired from 1947-1952.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                  RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 4:39 PM (permalink)
                  I will always remember the pockets, deep pockets that held a myriad of treasures.

Sushi_Girl

• Total Posts: 228
                    RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 4:51 PM (permalink)
                    remember Slim Goodbody? i always thought he was naked when i was little....
                    http://www.slimgoodbody.com/
                    apparantly there is some guy who still does it...thats scary

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                      RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 4:55 PM (permalink)
                      This just about ruined Pie Day for me....

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                        RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:17 PM (permalink)
                        This sucks. I miss Mr. Rogers, too. Remember the baker?

Now the only children's show host we have is Krusty the Clown.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                          RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:19 PM (permalink)
                          Oh, I am heartbroken. I loved Captain Kangaroo. I remember when I was 6, my brother bought me a record album of the Captain reading "Just-So Stories". It's funny, but I hadn't remembered that until just now.

This is as sad a day as when Mr. Rogers - another favorite - passwed away last year...

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                            RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:21 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Route 11

What about WGN's Bozo? Does he still do that live studio show?

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                              RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:24 PM (permalink)
                              I don't think so.

nanster

• Total Posts: 31
                                RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                One of the first shows I remember watching. The gentler, better kid-show hosts are leaving us (e.g., Capt. Kangaroo, Mister Rogers...)

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                  Anyone remember Andy's Gang?

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                                    RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                    I was up in the wee hours one night this week working on a project with the TV tuned to the public station. Suddenly, there was Mister Rogers arriving at the studio, greeting the children, and putting on his sweater and tennis shoes. After a wierd moment of dissonance (hasn't he left us!?), I became misty-eyed as he took us on an outing to the city.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                      RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:27 PM (permalink)
                                      Bummer....remember the little Kellogg's train? And Tom Terrific and Manfred Dog Wonder? Dancing Bear?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                        Dearfolk,
                                        I used that very phrase - verbatim - in my notebook today after reading the Atlanta newspaper: "It's a sad day," I wrote.
                                        Related to food (well, more drink than food, but both nonetheless), Mr. Horace (Horace McKennie) passed. He was the honored waiter at Moe's And Joe's on North Highland Avenue in Atlanta for over 50 years. The place opened in 1947; he must have come to work there not long afterward. Fortunately the paper ran his photo, so all who recognize him can contact his family. I'd imagine that there will be legions of people saddened. Although I've only been there once, many Emory and Georgia Tech students knew Mr.Horace (he is even depicted on the place's t-shirt!). It was told me that he never forgot a face; once he learned a name, he never forgot it; and he never got a single order wrong. He was a wondrous institution in Atlanta.
                                        Related to television, if only in the Atlanta area, Doyle Rodgers, 67, of Smyrna died. "HEY ASK FOR THE WOLFMAN" read the header. He and his daughter Donna made a career out of outlandish gimmicky television ads selling furniture (or "finni-tyoor" as he pronounced it) for their two stores located in College Park and Gainesville. With his beard and grizzled appearance, he was a dead ringer for Wolfman Jack, even if in his own way. Although I've chuckled over his late-night ads for years, I never knew his name until today.
                                        "Interesting how things work out, isn't it?" I wrote below the information I copied. Apropos this post.
                                        While I rarely watched Captain Kangaroo, I was totally aware of his contribution to popular culture. While this board is reputedly about food, his passing is just as important to me as would be the discussion of any foodstuff. Thanks for the thread, and I'm glad to add my nickle's worth of blather.
                                        Imbellishingly, Ort. Carlton in Less Frigid Athens, Georgia.

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                          RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Grampy

But of course.

Remember: "Plunk your magic tweeter froggie" and "Hiya Kids, Hiya , Hiya!" Andy Devine was the sidekick to Guy Madison on the Wild Bill Hickock Show. He even has his picture on the Kelloggs Sugar Corn Pops box.

Hey Grampy, do you still have your Winky Dink magic screen?

Do you remember watching the Pinky Lee Show when he really vapor locked on live TV. He was dancing and singing, "You hoo, it's me, my name is Pinky Lee" and experienced a heart attack right in front of all of us watching him after school. Fortunately, he survived, but his show didn't. I even had a checkerboard Pinky Lee hat.

chicagostyledog

RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Bummer....remember the little Kellogg's train? And Tom Terrific and Manfred Dog Wonder? Dancing Bear?

I knew Tom Terrific, greatest hero ever. A cheeky little fleeb with a funnel on his head. Talk about a fashion statement!

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                              RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                              Yes, this is a sad day indeed. I remember thinking when Mr. Rogers died that I was glad we still had the Captain. Now we have neither. How depressing. I know I'm dating myself, but remember Grandfather clock? Almost every weekday for me began with the Captain, followed by the sweet Miss Jean on Romper Room.

And "the baker" on Mr. Rogers - do you mean Chef Brocket? (that's probably spelled wrong, but I believe that's how it sounded, at least).

fdaniels

• Total Posts: 84
                                                RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:

No, That show is no longer in production.

chicagostyledog

RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:

Bob Bell, the original Bozo passed away in 1997. The last live show aired in the summer of 2001. On October 10, 1980, my 4 year old son, Aaron was the boy selected from the audience to play the Grand Prize Game. He made it to bucket number 3 and came home with a slew of toys. I was fortunate to have taped the show that day, not knowing that my son would be selected.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                    RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Grampy

But of course.

Remember: "Plunk your magic tweeter froggie" and "Hiya Kids, Hiya , Hiya!" Andy Devine was the sidekick to Guy Madison on the Wild Bill Hickock Show. He even has his picture on the Kelloggs Sugar Corn Pops box.

Hey Grampy, do you still have your Winky Dink magic screen?

Do you remember watching the Pinky Lee Show when he really vapor locked on live TV. He was dancing and singing, "You hoo, it's me, my name is Pinky Lee" and experienced a heart attack right in front of all of us watching him after school. Fortunately, he survived, but his show didn't. I even had a checkerboard Pinky Lee hat.

No, but I do have a small figurine of Pepino the Italian Mouse -- Keese me, Eddie!

Linda Gebhardt

• Total Posts: 61
                                                      RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                      It surely is a sad day when an icon from childhood passes on.I can still hear Captain talking to the grandfather clock and bunny rabbit.

bravehearteire

• Total Posts: 17
                                                        RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        Wow, this hits me a lot harder than losing Mr. Rogers. I watched the Captain every morning as a child, and even when I was in High School. I was so mad at CBS when they cut him down to a half hour. He always gave you a smile and a positive thought to start out your morning. I was so happy when I found a website Wednesday that had all the various Captain Kangaroo theme songs. (www.streetcarmike.com). I know a lot of times people say they love a celebrity, but I truly did love this man. He was there when I lost my Dad, and then my Mom. I have lost a very dear member of my family today. As I sit here with tears in my eyes, I think we need a 21 ping-pong ball salute to the greatest TV star ever. And may there be many bunches of carrots on this sweet man's grave.

tiki

• Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                          RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by bravehearteire

Wow, this hits me a lot harder than losing Mr. Rogers. in my I think we need a 21 ping-pong ball salute to the greatest TV star ever. And may there be many bunches of carrots on this sweet man's grave.

Amen

tiki

• Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                            RE: A Sad day Fri, 01/23/04 11:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            I cant tell y'all how comforting it is to see this kind of reaction to this wonderful mans passing,it honers the man tremendously and you should all be proud of yourselves for growing up to be exactly the kind of people he wanted you too!
                                                            Thanks for caring!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com