A Summer of Dis-Contingent

Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2627
2014/02/28 19:20:45 (permalink)

A Summer of Dis-Contingent

I don't know what I did, but BuddyRoadhouse has put me on his personal No Fly List. First he declined my invitation to the 2014 edition of Smoke/Pie Day on May 24. And then just today, Mr. Roadhouse categorically stated that he will not join me at the Contingent Takes Sheboygan Eat & Greet if it occurs on June 21. His excuse each time, he'll be washing his hair in Cleveland.

For everyone else, the REAL Pie Day will be celebrated at our home in Pewaukee on May 24 and YOU are invited. More details will follow in this thread or you can PM for directions at any time.

As for the Sheboygan event, the date is still up in the air and polling is ongoing. The text MilwFoodLover's original PM about the event is below:
This  week a friend took me to the single most enjoyable sandwich stop in my life. http://www.gossesrestaurant.com/
Gosses is an unassuming tavern in an unassuming neighborhood but the sandwiches rock. They were so good that if we were to do a tour of Sheboygan I could see making this both our first and our last stop. We sampled cheeseburgers, pork chop sandwiches, "restaurant' steaks (a cross between a minute steak and a rib-eye), and of course the double brat. Each sandwich was charcoal broiled, laced with "a generous amount of butter, and served on a City Bakery hard roll. I was happier with these humble sandwiches than with the finest USDA prime steak. They also are known for home made soups, Broasted chicken ("best I ever had" said one-untried by me) and lake perch.

Wisconsin folks know that many of us find that http://miesfelds.com/wp/ is certainly in the top 3 meat markets in the state and few would argue that http://www.sheboygancitybakery.com/ have the best hard rolls in the Dairy State.

Just a few blocks form Gosses is the Old Wisconsin Sausage factory outlet store http://www.oldwisconsin.com/  The factory outlet store is located at 2107 South 17th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081. There are some bargains to be had; for example I bought ten 1oz. packages of their salami for a buck. They have an excellent natural casing coarse ground wiener but it is not a top tier sausage maker when compared to Usingers or even Klements. Still it would be worth a stop for possible bargains.

Sheboygan has a frozen custard stop connected to a Harley Davidson dealer http://www.cruisersfrozencustard.com/ and that too is worth a stop. Sheboygan has a nice lakefront area and weather permitting we could stretch our legs.

I'm thinking maybe a mid-May Saturday?  Comments, thoughts and suggestions.

I suggested adding a stop at Midway Eat for my favorite burger and a cheese run to Cedar Valley Cheese for incredible string cheese.

More details soon to come.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2014/02/28 19:26:25

14 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/02/28 19:41:58 (permalink)
    abe_froeman has started a poll. If you want to join the Sheboygan invasion, follow these instructions:

Ok, we have the Doodle.com survey set up.  May 24th, Smoke Day, has been excluded. (Note to MFL- I got the info from JPfeff, so you can disregard my PM to you!)

Click on this link:

http://www.doodle.com/rdvkxhcrck9rnfcb

Because there's so many potential dates, it sort of collapses the options- you have to click the button near the top that says "Show all 12 options".

Type your name into the "Participants" box on the left side.

For each day, select "Yes", "No", or "(Yes)", which indicates you could do it, but it's not an ideal date for you. 

Make sure you hit "Save".

You can also leave a comment underneath!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4229
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/02/28 22:32:49 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

I don't know what I did, but BuddyRoadhouse has put me on his personal No Fly List. First he declined my invitation to the 2014 edition of Smoke/Pie Day on May 24. And then just today, Mr. Roadhouse categorically stated that he will not join me at the Contingent Takes Sheboygan Eat & Greet if it occurs on June 21. His excuse each time, he'll be washing his hair in Cleveland.
    It's true.  That Lake Erie water does wonders for my coif.  Unfortunately, the way the weather is going, it may still be frozen over by June 21st, and almost certainly for the May 21st visit.

If that happens, my back up plan is to wash my hair in Great Lakes Breweries' "Elliot Ness Amber Lager".  The bubbles feel fantastic when they interact with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil Castile Soap.

Enjoy Hidden Smoke Day Crouching PieDiva on the 24th.  Wish i could be there, but there's a heaping plate of Pierogis calling my name in Cleveland.  Send back leftovers with Mrs. Roadhouse or abe_froman.
    I'm still hoping we can find a day that works for everyone for the Sheboygan tour.

Buddy
    Buddy
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6372
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/02/28 23:22:48 (permalink)
    Don't sweat the dis Jeff. Buddy doesn't come up to Minnesota anymore either.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/03/01 22:01:47 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

For everyone else, the REAL Pie Day will be celebrated at our home in Pewaukee on May 24 and YOU are invited.
    Considering how you so callously dismissed my offer of a genuine Sauk City Bologna I'm giving my previous commitment some serious second thoughts.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/03/01 22:11:50 (permalink)
    Bologna, is that something they eat in Pittsburgh?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/03/01 22:31:18 (permalink)
    If they do it's not from Sauk City.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18430
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/03/01 22:52:01 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

No. In Pittsburgh they eat jumbo, which is not to be confused with an elephant.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/25 23:40:27 (permalink)
    Never mind all the previous rubbish, we are within a month of the Main Event. Pie Day (previously known as Smoke Day) will be on May 24 this year.

More details to come.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 02:50:03 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

JRPfeff

No. In Pittsburgh they eat jumbo, which is not to be confused with an elephant.

Nor with Isaly's Chipped Chopped Ham!
    http://www.isalys.com/deli-and-dairy-products/traditional-favorites/
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 08:29:29 (permalink)
    Mmmmm ...  Pixburg BBQ:

This might as well been a picture from my truly wonderful Pittsburgh youth:

L'il Jimmy chows down before having a Klondike dor dessert!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6803
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 12:15:35 (permalink)
    My mother came to visit me in Boston, I took her to a small market known for having Boar's Head deli meats.  She asked for 1/2 lb. of "chipped jumbo".  They looked at her like she was crazy.  I had to interpret that into "shaved bologna".  Darn Yankees don't even understand Pittsburghese.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 16:20:08 (permalink)
    lleechef

My mother came to visit me in Boston, I took her to a small market known for having Boar's Head deli meats.  She asked for 1/2 lb. of "chipped jumbo".  They looked at her like she was crazy.  I had to interpret that into "shaved bologna".  Darn Yankees don't even understand Pittsburghese.

And they don't serve iced tea after Labor Day!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6372
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 19:19:31 (permalink)
    I'll be washing my hair in Indianapolis.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6803
    Re:A Summer of Dis-Contingent 2014/04/26 19:26:45 (permalink)
    Davydd

I'll be washing my hair in Indianapolis.

How can you handle shampoo and a BPT at the same time???  " />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1