A Tale of Two Burgers

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18276
2007/03/30 17:09:28 (permalink)

A Tale of Two Burgers

What a difference some miles and a day make.

On Thursday I stopped at the 33 Diner in Rockbridge, Ohio for a cheeseburger and a cup of coffee. I ordered my burger medium rare, with just a little mayonnaise. I watched, amazed, as the grill cook dropped a very nice, hand-pattied burger that looked to be about a third of a pound, onto the grill and immediately, using a spatula, put just about all of her considerable weight on it to flatten it completely. She came back to it a couple of more times to reflatten the patty as it cooked, carefully making certain there could be no juice left within a foot of the meat. But she was not satisfied. She then placed a steak weight on the meat, giving it a good body slam, and then left it for about four minutes before returning to flip it over and top it again with the weight. A few minutes later she removed the weight, hit it again with the spatula, and then topped the crispy-critter of a beef patty with a slice of cheese and immediately placed the thing on a cold bun before the cheese could so much as get slightly warmed. My cheeseburger, for some reason, turned out to be neither medium rare nor juicy. I did take two bites before giving up. When I went to the cash register to pay the check the grill cook came over to take my money and asked if the cheeseburger was not rare enough for me. I allowed as how it was just a tad to done, got my change and left.

Today I finally made it to Urbana, Ohio for some hamburgers at Crabill's (look it up, as it's been reviewed here). I've been promising myself a trip to Crabill's for more than a year and I'm glad I finally made it. It's a really small place with about eight stools at a low counter, and not much room for anyone to stand while waiting for a seat. I ordered four cheeseburgers and a bottle of Stewart's root beer. The grill cook kept busy turning balls of beef into burgers and the counter gal put out the buns for the cook to top with the finished product. Then she'd add the condiments -- they have brown mustard, relish, chopped onions and catsup (although I didn't see any of the red stuff around). I ordered mine with mustard, relish and onions. They burgers were wonderful, the root beer terrific, and the experience was great fun. I sat at the counter marveling at the speed and dexterity of both the grill cook and the counter gal.

I turned the outing into a double-header with a stop on the way home at Henry's, on U.S. 40 near West Jeffereson, Ohio (also reviewed here). I'm not much of an eater of sweets, but I ordered a slice of lemon meringue pie and a cup of coffee. Nice, but the slice of pie was huge. I was last at Henry's about 15 years ago. Except for the new paint on the outside of this former gas station, and the more faded sign by the road, it doesn't seem to have changed a bit.

24 Replies Related Threads

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 18:18:29 (permalink)
    Well, I gotta ask:
    Did you eat the four cheeseburgers yourself?
    My hat is off to you; there is some Lipitor in it.
    Ron
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 19:09:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rongmtek

Well, I gotta ask:
    Did you eat the four cheeseburgers yourself?
    My hat is off to you; there is some Lipitor in it.
    Ron

Oh, sure. They're very small. Check them out:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=519
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6359
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 21:07:02 (permalink)
    MH - Sounds like you had a great ending to the day then, Crabill's & Henry's
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 21:58:17 (permalink)
    It was a good day. Lots of gasoline, though.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 22:05:03 (permalink)
    So what they get for them small burgers ($$ each) at Crabills?
    We used to have a similar deal here at the Galewood Tavern a dozen or so years ago (50 cents each), but those days are long gone..

Edit: Never mind, enlarged their menu on the review page.. Wow, still 50 cents for a mini burger.. Hard to believe..

jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 23:05:40 (permalink)
    Those Crabill's burgers look delicious, but I can't help thinking they would be overpowered by the bun. Is that not the case?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/30 23:43:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

So what they get for them small burgers ($$ each) at Crabills?
    We used to have a similar deal here at the Galewood Tavern a dozen or so years ago (50 cents each), but those days are long gone..

Edit: Never mind, enlarged their menu on the review page.. Wow, still 50 cents for a mini burger.. Hard to believe..

Nope. They were 65-cents each for the cheeseburgers. And they were really worth it.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/31 12:36:08 (permalink)
    A cold ungrilled bun is always a deal killer for me.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/31 12:46:03 (permalink)
    Enginecapt... Look at todays review of Hudsons in Couer d'Alene.. I see them dressing the bun (ungrilled), yet showing that well seasoned grill in the background. Personally I'd be tossing them buns on the grill to pick up some of that flavor.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/03/31 12:51:16 (permalink)
    I used to live just west of CdA in Post Falls and have been to Hudson's numerous times. They'll slap those babies on the grill upon request, hence my numerous visits. If they'd refused, I'd have only notched one visit.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/14 11:26:18 (permalink)
    Hey Michael, I found mysdelf in Plain City on Saturday morning with over 2 hours to kill before I had to pick someone up. Rather than fight the masses at Der Dutchman, I drove over to Urbana and found Crabills. Luckily it is right on route 36 so I didn't have to drive around too much looking. I started with 4 cheeseburgers with relish, mustard, and onion also. I noticed that when you are about done, the waitresses come over and ask if you want any more. It seemed to be standard for people to get a couple more. I ordered two more but got doubles the second time (95 cents). I definitely preferred the doubles and I am thinking that 4 of those would be the perfect size meal.

I will be back often. The place had a lot of roadfood charm. No plates. They just put a piece of wax paper down when you come in and then the waitress just carries the burgers over right from the grill without a tray or plate or anything. A sign states that catsup is an option that was added in 1990 but from what the waitress told me, it is not the way to get them. Pictures of record holders are above the counter. 31 cheeseburgers was one of them. I don't remeber the record for doubles but I think the hot dog record (the only other menu item) was 12.

So in total, 4 cheeseburgers, 2 doubles, a bag of chips and a Dr. Pepper was $7. Of course you add in the price of gas and it was over $20 but still worth it in my book.
    tames
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 20:23:41 (permalink)
    I'm now salivating after reading the reviews for Crabill's burgers. I live in Columbus but I've got to make the drive over there to see for myself just how tasty these little things are. Thanks for the forum. I'm new to Ohio (moved from out west) and I've been struggling to find good local food joints. Seems like there are alot of chains in Columbus. Anyhow, this website is great, thanks again.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 21:09:44 (permalink)
    hatteras, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been back four times, and more to come.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 21:15:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tames

I'm now salivating after reading the reviews for Crabill's burgers. I live in Columbus but I've got to make the drive over there to see for myself just how tasty these little things are. Thanks for the forum. I'm new to Ohio (moved from out west) and I've been struggling to find good local food joints. Seems like there are alot of chains in Columbus. Anyhow, this website is great, thanks again.

If you're in Columbus, and burgers make you salivate, you have to get to the Gahanna Grill for a Beanie Burger or an Academy Burger. The Beanie Burger (named for cook Beanie Vesser)has grilled onions, bacon, slaw, lettuce and tomato. The Academy Burger (named for nearby Columbus Academy, and my choice) has Swiss cheese, grilled onions and bacon. The burgers are made with one-third pound patties.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 21:55:52 (permalink)
    MH: what can you tell us about THIS burger, in (roughly) your area

http://www.ahamburgertoday.com/archives/2007/03/george_motzs_guesstheburger_contest.php

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 22:08:12 (permalink)
    Well, it has mushrooms, so I consider it poison. I've had burgers at The Thurman before. Pretty good. The thing aboout that place is that it's in an area of Columbus that is really neat -- German Village. If you're ever there, stop in at the original Max & Erma's on Third Street. Neat place -- and their Garbage Burger is great for those who are willing to poison themselves by eating mushrooms. And don't forget to hit Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/16 23:17:14 (permalink)
    Now mind you, it is impossible to request that the mushrooms be left off.....right?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/17 00:24:03 (permalink)
    Beats me.
    hatteras04
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/05/19 13:19:04 (permalink)
    I've been to Thurman's cafe once and got a bacon cheeseburger (no mushrooms involved). It is huge and it was good but usually the wait to get in there is pretty long. There is a separate room with a sign in sheet just for waiting. Not wanting to wait led me next door to the Easy Street Cafe which has really good food including some great Greek dishes. So now when I am down there that is usually my pick. Either that or as Michael suggested, Schmidt's.
    hatteras04
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/07/02 15:42:56 (permalink)
    I went back to Crabill's again on Saturday. This time I ordered all double cheeseburgers. I started with four which probably would have been enough but considering that I drove 45 minutes out of my way to get there and I was done with the 4 about 10 minutes after I walked in the door ( I got there right when they opened at 10:00 so it was not busy and I had my order in before I sat down), I ordered one more. So five doubles, a bag of chips, and a bottle of Stewarts Root Beer was $7.50.

A few people came in while I was there and placed to go orders. They make them up and then just stack them in a brown paper bag - they are not individually wrapped. I think they were double bagged but I am still guessing that the grease soaks through pretty quickly. Wouldn't be a problem for me though as I would be into them before I got out of the parking lot.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/07/02 16:28:33 (permalink)
    I drove to Crabil's a couple of weeks ago. Six burgers and a Stewart's. The last time I got burgers to go they weren't double-bagged, but they were gone long before anything might have soacked through.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/07/02 17:28:55 (permalink)
    Sheesh, its all I can do but hop into the car and drive the 75 miles to Crabills :-)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/07/02 18:15:14 (permalink)
    Poor Guy.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: A Tale of Two Burgers 2007/07/02 20:28:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Sheesh, its all I can do but hop into the car and drive the 75 miles to Crabills :-)

It's merely 55.35 miles from my house to Crabill's, according to Mapquest.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1