A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2010/08/29 02:05:42 (permalink)

A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past

One of the clients in the group home for the intellectually disabled where i work makes an annual trip to Newport, Oregon to visit her sister. My wife Trudy is usually the staff who accompanies her and sometimes i tag along as a volunteer to help and visit roadfood sites along the way. This year I was especially eager because there were some new places from the Sterns' new book I wanted to check out.
       Doing my trip preplanning, I discovered that The Waldport Seafood Store, reviewed on the website at one time and in the Sterns' new book had closed. I was bummed out but was still excited about other spots.
     We began our day with a visit to "The Briggitine Monastery" in Amity, Oregon. This is a group of monks who support themselves by selling fudge on their website and at the monastery. They have added a new flavor, chocolate hazlenut fudge, smooth , rich and loaded with local hazlenuts. A bit more expensive but worth the indulgence. The place is reviewed on this website and is well worth an online or personal visit.
     While driving along Highway 101 in Lincoln City looking for "The Crab Pot", we made an amazing discovery. "THe Dory Cove", a favorite of the Sterns(and the Chips family) and a fixture in the Roads End area of Licoln City until it burned down a few years back and had reopened in the Nelscott area of Lincoln City along highway 101. This discovery pulled us off the road immediately to investigate. To our delight, we recognized a couple of the waitstaff and the kitchen staff. OUr chowder and halibut were as good as ever and the hamburger was first rate. We talked about what had happened and discovered that the original owner and son had sold the old place and had had no desire to return to the restaurant business. Their nephew however had wished to continue and opened up a place called "Captain Ron's". He wished to call it the Dory Cove but it took a while to convince his relatives to allow the restaurant to reopen under that name. there seems to be little drop in quality in the new place and i am delighted the place has risen from the dead.
         We did journey to "The Crab Pot", located at the southern end of Lincoln City along Highway 101. Its owner is a delighful raconteur and quite a talker and I indulged in a truly wonderful crab cocktrail, fresh and sweet with a marvelous sauce. Also shared a quarter pound of smoked coho with Trudy and the client and we were all satisfied.
    Dinner was at the Chowder Shop in Newport in the Nye Beach area along the ocean. It was rich, buttery, smooth and sweet, lots of clams, few potatoes. The place was a great treat and the ability to hike along the beach after dinner is an added asset. It is reviewed in the Sterns' 500 Things book.
post edited by mr chips - 2010/08/29 02:20:08

7 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2403
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/08/29 09:18:14 (permalink)
    Great report, Mr. Chips.  I've always been a bit of a seafood frowner but your reports have a way of making me really crave it!  Thanks.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/08/29 14:15:49 (permalink)
    Great report!  I love to hear the opinions of others and learn about new places.

I love Newport, Yachats, Lincoln City and other Oregon Coastal cities.  A friend loved Newport so much that she moved up there and lived in a REAL SHACK for a few years. Of course her window was right on the beach.  
    I loved it so much that the 2 of us bought a lot in Cannon Beach.  

Telling my parents about it, they visited and loved it so much that they bought a lot in Lincoln City.

Something very special about the Oregon Coast,

All are sold now, but the memories still make me drool.

Mr. Chips, were you able to dine on sauted razor clams?  They are probably my favorite food.  I'm probably lucky that they don't make it down the coast to my area.

Thanks for the report.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/08/29 16:46:35 (permalink)
    We used to buy large quantities of great Beef and Bison Jerky at a shop in Lincoln City. Have forgotten the name since our last visit was 6 years ago...but it was outstanding Jerky and they made many flavors and had Salmon jerky as well.

Our favorite stop in Newport was Mo's and the Annex !! (long before the many TV travel foodies visited). A huge bowl of Chowder and the Fried Scallops ( Giant Scallops) were a dinner that made me a very happy visitor. We haven't been there since fame struck, but hope the quality hasn't disappeared as it seems to at many other places after the camera's leave..
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/08/31 11:36:41 (permalink)
    mr chips-
    Thanks for finding and posting a review for the Briggitine Monastery.  We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this unusual place.  And I should have told you that Dory Cove was open again.  We found that when we were driving through last December, but didn't have time to stop.  Glad you got to eat there again!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/09/01 16:30:15 (permalink)
    I think that fudge would have to make you closer to the Lord--sounds like a great trip chipsie!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/09/02 00:12:53 (permalink)
    Just discovered that a number of the services where the monks chant are open to the the public at the Briggitine Monastery. I'm gonna try and make it down.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4017
    Re:A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past 2010/09/04 16:59:44 (permalink)
    Nice report, Mr. Chips. I've been to Newport one and am looking forward to seeing it again soon. Definitely up for trying the Chowder Shop!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1