A Unique Approach To History

Author
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
2006/02/12 17:06:14 (permalink)

A Unique Approach To History

This past week, during his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez uttered an interesting defense of Mr. Bush's use of electronic surveillance in the U.S., without benefit of Court approval. He cited the precedent of other presidents having done the same thing.

Are you ready for the exact quote of what Gonzalez said in citing precedent? Okay, here it is, quoted exactly:

Gonzales: "President Washington, President Lincoln, President Wilson, President Roosevelt have all authorized electronic surveillance on a far broader scale."

Obviously, The Father of Our Country must have had Ben Franklin working overtime on that electronic surveillance. I wonder who Abe Lincoln used as his electronics guru. Wilson had a Doctorate, so he probably figured out how to do it on his own. I just wish that Gonzalez had clarified whether it was Teddy Roosevelt or Franklin Roosevelt who carried out this type of surveillance. Actually, it must have been Teddy. Didn't he say, "Speak softly and carry a big eavesdropping device"?

Apparently, Mr. Gonzalez's knowledge of U.S. History (as well as technology) is on a par with Mr. Bush's.

4 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: A Unique Approach To History 2006/02/12 17:08:24 (permalink)
    Gonzales has opened mouth, inserted foot.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: A Unique Approach To History 2006/02/13 15:41:22 (permalink)
    Maybe the Attorney General was a fan of James West and Artemus Gordon, the intrepid government agents who worked for General Grant!

(Think 1965, Wild, Wild West.)
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2016
    RE: A Unique Approach To History 2006/02/13 16:05:39 (permalink)
    I think the quote is not exactly accurate. I saw a story over the weekend (I wish I could remember where) that talked about what was really said, and what high tech (for the time) stuff was used by each of the mentioned presidents. The story went on to say how the quote has been taken out of context and misrepresented. I found the story boring and didn't finish it.

I have no doubt that Mr Gonzalez has a better grasp on history than most of us do, but his ability to say things that can be taken the wrong way may have been a reason that he did not get the expected nomination to the Supreme Court.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: A Unique Approach To History 2006/02/13 17:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

I think the quote is not exactly accurate. I saw a story over the weekend (I wish I could remember where) that talked about what was really said, and what high tech (for the time) stuff was used by each of the mentioned presidents. The story went on to say how the quote has been taken out of context and misrepresented. I found the story boring and didn't finish it.

I have no doubt that Mr Gonzalez has a better grasp on history than most of us do, but his ability to say things that can be taken the wrong way may have been a reason that he did not get the expected nomination to the Supreme Court.

Please note that I have quoted it verbatim, according to all of the sources that I could find. If you have a different version of what he said, I would appreciate seeing it.

And, by the way--what exactly was the "high-tech equipment" that was used by George Washington for surveillance of the electronic type? Mr. Gonzalez most definitely stated that those presidents of yesteryear resorted to "electronic" surveillance.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1