A closer look at a Georgia specialty

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
2013/07/21 02:35:01 (permalink)

A closer look at a Georgia specialty

Regular readers of my blog, Marie, Let's Eat!, may recall that we've preached about a quite unique Georgia specialty that is called Hudson's-style sauce.  We've visited more than 230 barbecue restaurants since we started the blog in 2010, and only found this treat in six restaurants within a small area, along with a companion insanely hot mustard sauce that is in those same six, plus two others in the area.  Hudson was interviewed by Amy of Southern Foodways, but otherwise this regional treat has been largely undocumented and unreported by anybody but us.   Particularly in light of Robb Walsh's recent dismissal of Georgia barbecue in his new book, I'm keen to try telling people about what they're missing when they write us off.

In today's post, I take a closer and more detailed look at this stuff and its coverage area.  I'm hoping that maybe some Roadfood readers might know of one or two other places that serve it so that we can visit them and include them in our knowledge base.  Check it out when you have a minute, and if you're on social media or have your own blogs, please spread the word so that I can track down more information:

http://bit.ly/1179gE2

Thanks!
post edited by Heartbreaksoup - 2013/07/21 02:37:09

11 Replies Related Threads

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1637
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 07:56:36 (permalink)
    I take it from your write-up that you can only get it in the restaurant served over something.  Unlike the bottles of Mustard that you got. A pity.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 08:24:16 (permalink)
    It honestly never occurred to me to ask!  Thanks for that idea!  It's possible that some (or all) of the restaurants would be willing to sell a container of it, as they'll serve it on the side in a small bowl if you ask for the meat dry.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 09:30:44 (permalink)
    Smiles.there ya go!

chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 09:38:40 (permalink)
    You have flung a craving on me. LOL. I'm going to be on that side of ATL next week and have to try it out...
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 407
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 14:34:41 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

Regular readers of my blog, Marie, Let's Eat!, may recall that we've preached about a quite unique Georgia specialty that is called Hudson's-style sauce.  We've visited more than 230 barbecue restaurants since we started the blog in 2010, and only found this treat in six restaurants within a small area, along with a companion insanely hot mustard sauce that is in those same six, plus two others in the area.  Hudson was interviewed by Amy of Southern Foodways, but otherwise this regional treat has been largely undocumented and unreported by anybody but us.   Particularly in light of Robb Walsh's recent dismissal of Georgia barbecue in his new book, I'm keen to try telling people about what they're missing when they write us off.

In today's post, I take a closer and more detailed look at this stuff and its coverage area.  I'm hoping that maybe some Roadfood readers might know of one or two other places that serve it so that we can visit them and include them in our knowledge base.  Check it out when you have a minute, and if you're on social media or have your own blogs, please spread the word so that I can track down more information:

http://bit.ly/1179gE2

Thanks!

Dismissing Georgia BBQ is just plain stupid! There are MANY variations and some of the best BBQ I've ever put in my mouth is Georgia style Q and sauce. 
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 407
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 14:35:11 (permalink)
    chickenplucker

You have flung a craving on me. LOL. I'm going to be on that side of ATL next week and have to try it out...

Wallace's is VERY good bbq. 
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 15:05:33 (permalink)
    kevincad
    Dismissing Georgia BBQ is just plain stupid! There are MANY variations and some of the best BBQ I've ever put in my mouth is Georgia style Q and sauce.  

I couldn't agree more (obviously), but nevertheless that's what Walsh did.  Here's my review of his book.  Thought-provoking read, but it certainly rubbed me wrong:

http://hipsterdadsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2013/07/barbecue-crossroads.html
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/07/21 18:19:37 (permalink)
    Funny........I'm a died in the Wool Yank (hence the wool vs Cotton) and I guess what you'd call a Wasp as well (boiled dinner anyone?). When I think of BBQ, the states of Texas, North Carolina, and Tennessee usually come to mind.  But I have traveled extensively in the South and have had to what my blue-blooded, Ivy-educated tastebuds would consider outstanding "Q" in Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, and Alabama as well. ( I have not spent enough time in MS to judge.....and outside of a few places in the Panhandle of FL, have found most places there lacking)

What do I look for? ( Gawd knows if I am looking for the right things?)

A. Tenderness...without mushiness.....the ribs don't have to fall off the bone, but if I'm gonna have to buy new teeth, well......
    B. A Smoke Flavor and I guess what you "good ole boys" call a smoke-ring.  I want to know it's been seasoned by the wood and the flavor thereof.  Subtle, but nice...and often gives a slight "chari-ness" to the outside while leaving the inside juicy.
    C. Saucing......before and with.  This can be a conundrum (nice 10 dollar carpetbagger word).  There's something to be said for both.  I want saucing that ENHANCES the taste not overpowers it!!!  I eat my fried clams without Tartar Sauce.....ALWAYS.  Maybe a splash of lemon.  I like to try the sauces and many do give a unique flavor to the meat (especially sausage and brisket)....but I ordered MEAT!, not sauce with some sort of chewy underlayer!  I think it's one of the toughest things to balance, no matter where you are eating. And if you serve me some ...for lack of a better word.......Tex-Mex sauce that only makes me scream for a milkshake instead of a beer to calm my lips and tongue, you ain't serving "Q" anymore; you are serving meat with hot sauce.  Not necessarily bad, just not what I want ATM
    D. Sides......Some things I like; some I don't (LOL..will anyone ever offer bread pudding?.or even Brown bread?) They are what they are...sides.....nice compliments, seldom a meal by themselves.  I have had cornbread done 45+ ways..some sublimely lovely, others atrocious. Beans are not my fav but they can make me smile. Coleslaw is a must, primarily to help cut the taste of some meats; others...well again, it depends on the place.  Hushpuppy places get a big star in my book, because, Dammit, I like them!

I know no Yankee can ever get to the Holy Grail of "Q", but I gotta tell ya, some of the best -to me- I ever had was in Houston ( forget the name).and in all places, Emmitsburg MD, at Cubby's before I even knew of RF and CTF!  And I have had it all those states mentioned above where it was GREAT.and in all of them..something Awful!  To say a state can or cannot make great Q is a " hubris of gustatory gesticulation"...or...in my pre Ivy days..........pure Male cow-dung. Places make foods, not states.  Yes, certain practices and sauces prevail in certain areas, and like the other age old debates( Blonde vs Brunette, Baseball vs Football, Chevy vs Ford, Lobster roll with butter or Mayo, etc), each have their adherents.  That is fine, but don't necessarily putdown the other guys........it's different than what you like..but not bad!

That being said.i push the soapbox back into the ocean and go in search of the Cheesesteak outside of Philly being worthy of that name.

OK.Hog tie me and tar me.this is all tongue in cheek

OMG.i just realized I forgot South Carolina in the above...................Stick to your seafood and rice stuff....Nobody does it better!.......and someday I hope you get a bigger state
    post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2013/07/21 18:22:04
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/09/29 20:18:36 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
       Yup, it's me. I'm back... at least for a few minutes.
       I've lived in Georgia all my life, and never before have I heard of Hudson's sauce. Now I KNOW that I have to make a trip to Wallace's to find out what I've been missing. Those other places bear scrutiny as well. Thanks immeasurably for posting this!
          Wholeheartedly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6727
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/09/29 20:24:15 (permalink)
    Glad to see you back Ort. even if it's only for a few minutes!!!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A closer look at a Georgia specialty 2013/09/30 15:16:51 (permalink)
    Hooray, Ort.!

Since I started this thread, I have visited two other places in west Georgia, south of I-20, that prep in the Hudson tradition: J & W (formerly Jordan's) and also Jones, both in Carrollton.  So that's eight restaurants in total so far.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1