The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub...

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 4:07 PM (permalink)
Or. if you're traveling through the NE corner of PA on 81, you can stop at the Wegman's and pick up a 4- or 6-pack.

First: Hercules Double IPA, from Colorado. this is one of the super-hoppers. Bitter, resiny, flowery, with a sweet finish. Amber color, lots of carbonation. This one, I would say falls into the category of "extreme beer". I like it, but I'm not sure what distinguishes it from Dogfish Head 90, Rogue or Stone Double IPA, or any of the other super hoppers. Sure, there are little differences, but with all that bitterness there's not very much palate memory. I don't think this brew (or any of the high hoppers) lends itself to more than 1 12oz serving at a time... 9.1% ABV, so if you're having more than one, let someone else drive. But definitely, drink that one anyhow.

Second, Old Brown Dog Ale, from the Smuttynose Brewing Co in New Hampshire. (I like saying "smuttynose". It isn't as much fun to type it, but you get to read it, think it, and say it to yourself. Consider that my gift to you today!) Beautiful label. Pours deep brown, little head. Great balance between hops and malt, with malt dominating. Not to strong at 5.7%. I would call this a proto-typical ale, almost sublime in its balance. Excellent, a 5 tool ballplayer of an ale, without any one thing dominating. This is how to make a beer.

bevdrincer

• Total Posts: 17
    Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 6:04 PM (permalink)
    Was Old Brown Dog at Wegmans also?

Mosca

Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 7:29 PM (permalink)
      Yep!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
        Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 7:38 PM (permalink)
        Kewl stuff!

How come Wegmans gets to carry beer up there?  I don't thik my local one in Exton has beer. (Could be wrong)

bevdrincer

• Total Posts: 17
          Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 8:23 PM (permalink)
          I'll be down Wegmans tomorrow. see if i can't fix this constipation.

Mosca

Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 9:18 PM (permalink)
            They petitioned the LCB to offer it in their cafe area, and it was approved. It's the same rule as in a bar; 192 oz max, which is 2 sixes and a four, and you have to pay for it in the cafe area. EVERYONE gets carded.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 9:37 PM (permalink)
              This is as off-the-wall as I get: Pyramid Hefeweizen.

Crisp, clear, refreshing. Does that sound like an old Hamm's or Brew 102 ad? I think so.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 10:06 PM (permalink)
                current favorite(west coast version)

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                  Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Wed, 01/28/09 11:56 PM (permalink)
                  and:

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                    Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Thu, 02/5/09 3:59 PM (permalink)
                    We just got Stone IPA (San Diego) distributed here in No Fl/So Ga. 
                    Had a couple during the Steelers Show last Sunday.  Very nice.  Fighting with Bells Amber as the current fav.

crew

Mosca

Re:A couple recent beer tastings, for when you find yourself in a beer pub... Thu, 02/5/09 8:51 PM (permalink)
                      I'd add one thing. After drinking the Hercules Double IPA and the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA within a reasonable time of each other, I have a strong preference for the DFH90. IMO it is smoother and more balanced. I still think the Hercules is a stand-up brew, but the I prefer the DFH90.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com