The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A different way to cook a burger

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
Sundancer7

A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:11 AM (permalink)
I am having a cook out Monday and I am going to try something different with my burgers. I am going to slow cook them in the over for a couple of hours at 200F. I will finish them off on the grill. What I am hoping will happen is that the burgers will be a much more tender product and still acquire the grill taste.

Anybody ever done that or have a comment?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
    RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
    I dont think thats a good idea,A couple hours at 200 degrees would ensure a dry tasteless Burger.May I suggest you pan sear them for a few minutes then put them in a pan covered with some Beef Broth that way they will stay juicy.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
      RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
      Like a rib roast. Interesting experiment. I guess my own quetion is if there will be a moisture retention difference between a roast with firm fully intact muscle structure vs. burger which has been de-structured.

Also, a roast would come up to temp slower since theres a good 3-4 inches to the center. A burger would be a lot faster seeing how the center is only 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the flat surfaces.

I'm very interested in how it turns out - let us know!!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
        RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:25 AM (permalink)
        Bad idea, Paul.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
          RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:25 AM (permalink)
          Whatever you decide I would try that method today before serving it to guests. The last thing you want is serving hockey pucks to those looking for a juicey burger. Chow Jim

Sundancer7

RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:30 AM (permalink)
            I have to admit that I am a bit apprehensive about trying the method. I have tried something similar before as I coated the burgers with flour, salt and pepper and browned them in oil and then put them in the oven for a couple of hours low and slow. They were tender and juicey.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
              RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:35 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have to admit that I am a bit apprehensive about trying the method. I have tried something similar before as I coated the burgers with flour, salt and pepper and browned them in oil and then put them in the oven for a couple of hours low and slow. They were tender and juicey.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Now that is a different scenario.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 8:36 AM (permalink)
                Good luck with the experiment. Please let us know how it turned out!!

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                  RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
                  quote:

I am having a cook out Monday and I am going to try something different with my burgers. I am going to slow cook them in the over for a couple of hours at 200F. I will finish them off on the grill. What I am hoping will happen is that the burgers will be a much more tender product and still acquire the grill taste.

Anybody ever done that or have a comment?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

If you want a tender product with a grill taste, grind you own piece of choice chuck (80/20 lean to fat ratio), form the patties (1/3 pound is good to allow for about 20% shrinkage) gently and loosely so they cook quicker, don't be mashing them with a spatula while they're cooking, and grill them at a high temp. pb

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 12:37 PM (permalink)
                    Ground meat doesn't cook the same as whole pieces because all of the connective tissue has been chopped up. Slow cooking melts those fibers and releases collegen, which is responsible for the unctious (sp?) mouth-feel that you get from slow-cooked meats. Burgers (in my opinion) should always be cooked quickly over high heat. Charred on the outside, barely cooked on the inside.

Still, I'm curious how this turns out. My guess is gray, dry meat.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                      RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 1:01 PM (permalink)
                      You wanted a comment:

Don't do it. Sounds like a real bad idea.
                      Make it a rule never to try anything for the first time when you are having a party.

I've never done it. But if I was to bake a hamburger, it would be frozen, 350 hot oven for about 1/2 hour, thats it.

Better to broil it.

Whats the problem with the cookout, the hamburger on the gril will only take a few minutes anyway?????? Its got to be the easiest thing in the world to cookout. I don't understand why you want to find an easier way????

Sundancer7

RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 2:01 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by fabulousoyster

You wanted a comment:

Don't do it. Sounds like a real bad idea.
                        Make it a rule never to try anything for the first time when you are having a party.

I've never done it. But if I was to bake a hamburger, it would be frozen, 350 hot oven for about 1/2 hour, thats it.

Better to broil it.

Whats the problem with the cookout, the hamburger on the gril will only take a few minutes anyway?????? Its got to be the easiest thing in the world to cookout. I don't understand why you want to find an easier way????

Thanks for the comment. It is not a easier way but I was looking for a way to give my guest the most tender burger ever. I have had success with slow cooking a burger and I thought by topping it off on the grill would add taste.

I have coated burgers with flour and salt and pepper before and browned them in a pan and then put them in the oven covered for a couple of hours at 200F.

I thought if I did that and then put them on the grill, it would add taste and tenderness???

Perhaps I am wrong.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

WarToad

RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 2:12 PM (permalink)
                          Sundancer - Ignore these naysayers and forge your way on the path less traveled! You have burgers needing sacrifice to the Gods of Food Science!!!! Every great breakthrough starts as being mocked, then ridiculed, questioned, then finally accepted. I don't think this will be a burger breakthrough, but I still think you should try it.

Srsly. Do eet.

And post pix. Preferable one sliced in half so we can see the outside vs. the inside.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 3:51 PM (permalink)
                            I agree two hours is waaaay toooo looooong.

I suspect you can meet your goal if you concentrate on a high quality meat and get a good juicy fire ... maybe stoked up just before the burgers go on by sacrificing some bacon on the grill.

Consult with a good butcher on the ground meat.

Enjoy the day.

wabbitslayer

• Total Posts: 21
                              RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 4:49 PM (permalink)
                              Maybe cooking ground meat in the oven will make it dry and tough, but most of the meatloaf I've eaten in my life was prepared in a similar manner and it 's generally pretty good.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                I'm with the loosely made burger, high heat, do not mash them down folks. Please keep us informed and do not forget the pictures.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
                                  RE: A different way to cook a burger Fri, 08/29/08 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Sundancer,
                                  Why not slow cook them on the grill? Indirect low heat. Maybe a small bit of hickory or mesquite. That will give you a grill/smoked taste and a slow cooked burger. But I wouldnt go 2 hours. A half hour, then check. 200°-220° sounds good. You might need to make a "sacrifice" burger/ To check every so often. I think it could work. Maybe marinade the meat first to add liquid.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                    RE: A different way to cook a burger Sun, 08/31/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by wabbitslayer

Maybe cooking ground meat in the oven will make it dry and tough, but most of the meatloaf I've eaten in my life was prepared in a similar manner and it 's generally pretty good.

OK, but lets get out the pen and paper.

I think Sundancer is planning to cook in the oven a hamburger average pattie less than a 1/2 inch thick, 4 inch diameter at 200F for several hours in the oven, no additional fillers or liquids.

Your meatloaf was probably average 1-2lbs meat, free formed loaf mixed variety of pork, beef, veal, with additional eggs, onions, bread crumbs, maybe additional liquid in the mix of water or cream baked 350 1-2 hours.

If Sundancer wants to make mini meatloafs, maybe I'll feel better.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                      RE: A different way to cook a burger Sun, 08/31/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                      I have cooked hamburgers in the smoker and they come out pretty good. Never tried the oven before. I say give it a try about 4 hours before the guests come so if it doesn't work you can scrap it and do it the normal way....Russ

WarToad

RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                        Bump ~ For Sundancer's burger report.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                          RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 8:31 AM (permalink)

I suspect that they will look much like Ted's steamed hamburgers.

mark

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                            RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                            Sundancer, How did your burgers turn out for your guests?

MGWerks

• Total Posts: 231
                                              RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Frankman

Sundancer,
                                              Why not slow cook them on the grill? Indirect low heat. Maybe a small bit of hickory or mesquite. That will give you a grill/smoked taste and a slow cooked burger. But I wouldnt go 2 hours. A half hour, then check. 200°-220° sounds good. You might need to make a "sacrifice" burger/ To check every so often. I think it could work. Maybe marinade the meat first to add liquid.
                                              To be honest, this is what I frequently do - helps with us being on the go all the time. I'll take about 10 lbs of good 80/20 or better grind (or grind it myself) and add my seasonings to it, incorporating the mix but not over mixing the meat. I then pull out 5 oz. globs and form them into loose patties, continuing until all the meat is formed. These go on my big offset smoker for about 10-20 minutes, depending on the fire that day. I do NOT cook them completely (sorry food police), but they do get very red on the outside and flavorful on the inside from all the smoke. I'll try and remember to take pictures next time around.

These are then quickly individually frozen, and packaged in vacuum sealer bags 4 at a time. I can pull them out, and any method I use to heat them completes the cooking process without overcooking. Always juicy this way, and even in a microwave, they taste right-off-the-pit.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                                RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                                My thought is the roasting process would make them tough. We used to par grill out 3/4 burgers(on a real busy nite) to just short of rare. then throw them back on to finish. Cut the time drastically and jsut as good as fresh grilled.
                                                britt

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                                  RE: A different way to cook a burger Tue, 09/2/08 1:28 PM (permalink)
                                                  Don't keep us in suspense Sundancer----How did Le Grand Experiment turn out???????

Sundancer7

RE: A different way to cook a burger Wed, 09/3/08 5:44 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Foodbme

Don't keep us in suspense Sundancer----How did Le Grand Experiment turn out???????

Due to some very good advice on this board, I varied my process some. Some suggested my method would produce hockey pucks. I certainly did not want that.

I floured the patties after I had spiced them and fried until brown on the exterior, I then put them in the over covered and baked them at 200 F for about a hour and then I finished them off on the grill. It was a bit labor intensive and if I had to do it again, I would not, however the results were fantastic. The burgers were extremely tender and finishing them off on the grill added the desired flavor.

Paul E. Smith
                                                    Knoxville, TN

WarToad

RE: A different way to cook a burger Wed, 09/3/08 7:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      How thick were they, Sundancer? A fry to color on the outside probably would have broght them up to rare anyway. An hour at 200 is essentially a upper limit holding temperture, and then more gill time... and still juicy - fairly thick burgers? Still pink in the middle? Or cooked through but juicy?

Sundancer7

RE: A different way to cook a burger Wed, 09/3/08 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                        They were about 8oz burgers. I only cooked them enough to brown them on the exterior which was less than 3-4 minutes. I indicated that the oven was 200F but it was a bit lower than that. They were better than an inch thick and the final results for me was pink interior but I had to cook them well done for the rest of the folks. Mine was on the grill for four minutes on each side at the most. The rest were on the grill for about ten minutes.

The objective was to cook a well done burger very very tender. It worked.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

WarToad

RE: A different way to cook a burger Wed, 09/3/08 9:30 AM (permalink)
                                                          I honestly thought this was a set up for failure. I'm glad you went through with it anyway to prove the peanut gallery wrong.

A big giant KUDO's for taking a path less traveled!

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                                                            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                            RE: A different way to cook a burger Wed, 09/3/08 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

They were about 8oz burgers. I only cooked them enough to brown them on the exterior which was less than 3-4 minutes. I indicated that the oven was 200F but it was a bit lower than that. They were better than an inch thick and the final results for me was pink interior but I had to cook them well done for the rest of the folks. Mine was on the grill for four minutes on each side at the most. The rest were on the grill for about ten minutes.

The objective was to cook a well done burger very very tender. It worked.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

On Monday, using the method I described above, I grilled super-tender, well-done burgers (for the few that wanted them that way) in about 5-6 minutes. Fresh ground chuck steaks, loosely formed (I use 2 forks), and high heat. Salt and pepper are the only other ingredients. If you don't have a meat grinder, a food processor works ok but the meat can go from "just right" to over processed in a couple of heartbeats. pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com