A few stops in Memphis

Author
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
2010/05/17 08:35:07 (permalink)

A few stops in Memphis

We tried a some Q in Memphis this week end. The first stop was Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ. Honestly my expectations were low but I was pleasantly surprised at Interstate.
The ribs were moist and flavorful for all but one. My son thought his were a tad dry. I believe there was a little skirt meat on his order. The pork sandwich was good. My wife said her beef sandwich was tender and juicy but I thought the beef flavor was lacking.  The sandwiches were both floating in sauce making them hard to eat as a sandwich however.  We all thought the potato salad,  beans and fries were very good. The sandwiches were ordered without slaw so didn't try the slaw. I did like Jim's sauce. It was tomato and vinegar based that had a little tang and a little sweetness to it. A nice balance IMO. I brought some home which is rare for me.

What a neat place that Germantown Commissary is! All were happy with GC. My son felt his ribs were much better than Interstate. The sides were all good as well. Thumbs up for GC!

I had high expectations for the original Central BBQ but it was kind of a let down for me. My wife and I tried the smoked/grilled bologna sandwich. No complaints about the bologna but the buns were kind of dry and cold which definitely took away from their appeal. The slaw and potato salad were real let downs for me. I just didn't care for either. The fries didn't seem fresh which was surprising considering the brisk business they experience. Ribs were good which I suppose is their main product. It was a nice pleasant atmosphere on the deck with beautiful weather but the very hum drum sides just killed it for me.

The Pig on Beale Street was a real surprise for me. The atmosphere was fantastic! The blues band out of Mississippi was very good as well. The Baby Back ribs were very good. They used to serve Memphis style dry ribs but recently changed to glazed which was good for me but not so much for my son. We both enjoyed the ribs however. The beans and potato salad were both good but what I really liked at The Pig was the BBQ Bologna sandwich on very fresh white bread to sop in the sauce. That sandwich was the highlight of the trip for me. It seems kinda strange for a bologna sandwich to take center stage but it just hit the spot for me. Maybe it was the beer and atmosphere but I sure enjoyed that bologna sandwich. 

2 Replies Related Threads

Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:A few stops in Memphis 2010/05/24 12:26:17 (permalink)
    Commissary is hard to beat. I alos like Topps and Gridley's
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:A few stops in Memphis 2010/05/25 08:39:55 (permalink)
    A customer in my store highly recommended AR's to me.  My wife and I are going to Memphis to visit her sister in three weeks, but she doesn't like AR's, and so we may not get to go.  On the other hand, she lives just down the road from Colletta's, which was spotlighted on the front page yesterday, and hasn't been, so hopefully we can try one of those BBQ pizzas!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1