A film about burgers...

Author
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2004/04/12 19:40:42 (permalink)

A film about burgers...

The Chicago Tribune Magazine had as it's cover story Easter Sunday a feature on a filmmaker named George Motz. George has spent several years sampling and filming burgers et al. Some of the places mentioned in the article are: Sollys Grill, Glendale WI, The Meers Store, Meers OK,The Billy Goat, Chicago, Bobcat Bite, Santa fe, NM, Dyer's, Memphis, Ted's Restaurant, Meriden, CONN., Louis' Lunch, New Haven, CONN,Wheel Inn, Guber MO and the Corner Bistro in NY???

They also mention the Burger Hall of Fame in Seymour WI.

The film is having it's first screening at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago on April 19th in case anyone's interested.

16 Replies Related Threads

fantasmic13
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 12:49:08 (permalink)
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM....Solly's in Glendale, WI! Talk about a heart attack on a plate! Great milk shakes also!
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 12:52:08 (permalink)
    MMMM Hamburgers. I think I hear my stomach. It's saying, "Take me to Ted's!"
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 13:37:36 (permalink)
    Here's the website for the program. There's a trailer on the page as well:

[url]www.hamburgeramerica.com[/url]
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 13:48:55 (permalink)
    Thanks saps!

I do believe that the very first burger you see on that web page is a Ted's burger!!

I gotta get to OK. Those meers burgers look fantastic!

As for the guber burger. Well, peanut butter, I just don't know what to think about that. I will admit at first it sounds just plain gross but who know's don't knock it until you try it. Anybody out there ever have one?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 17:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by efuery

I do believe that the very first burger you see on that web page is a Ted's burger!!

Absolutely. That droopy veil of steamed cheese is the giveaway. Nice call.
    MamaPoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 20:00:46 (permalink)
    Meers Burgers are the greatest! They also sell that wonderful longhorn beef in the little store. Steaks & ground.I'll bet it is the only burger joint in the USA with a seismograph located in it! If you are going there share a burger with someone so you have room for the Greatest cherry cobbler ever made! with Bluebell vanilla ice cream on top! I am drooling just thinking about it! "Gawd" I miss OKLAHOMA!
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/15 23:25:19 (permalink)
    We went to Meers twice and they were closed both timesAfter reading the glowing reports we will try it again, soon. Thanks for reminding us.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/16 11:01:32 (permalink)
    Burgers for supper tonight, that's for sure! I need the addresses for these places.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/16 13:10:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ralph Isbill

We went to Meers twice and they were closed both timesAfter reading the glowing reports we will try it again, soon. Thanks for reminding us.

Hey Ralph---what do say we all get together for burgers at Meers Maybe even invite those folks from Baja Oklahoma and the rest of world too! Hey--they did california,barbecue,crabcakes this weekend---why not burgers in Oklahoma Im getting jelous of all this meet and eat happening withpout ME!!--dang--i can meet and eat with the best of em! and that Ham fest is a long time to wait.
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/16 21:46:56 (permalink)
    tiki, we should look in to this. As for inviting those from baja Oklahoma, can we afford to lower our standards that far?LOL
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/17 08:06:37 (permalink)
    The Wheel Inn is in Sedalia, Mo along US 50 Highway. They are famous for Goober Burgers, a burger with peanut butter. Definitely an acquired taste.
    dgeorge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/17 12:44:16 (permalink)
    There is a place on 202 in New Miford CT called Clamps, the Hamburgers are unbelievable and the Chili dogs arent bad either
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/18 10:46:14 (permalink)
    I hope that the Hamburger America Video comes out in DVD format! (Considering VHS is a dying breed).. Looking over the website sure can get your appetite going!
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/18 11:31:41 (permalink)
    Does anyone here have a favorite local shop to buy chopped meat/raw burgers? In our town there was a family butchers here for the longest time...he made THE greatest burger patties [and h ad reputedly the best prime meats in town anyways..]- square quarter pound lovelies with JUST enough fat content to keep them from sticking to the grill..I would have to say it was ground sirloin that was about 85% lean...anyways, ONE of these babies was truly enough as they hardly shrunk..mmm...anyways about a year ago we had a CRISIS- the guy retired!! His kids were all in school, and werent interested in the business;so he sold to these people who turned not to have a CLUE about meat, so they ended up shutting down..[|)]HOWEVER thi s story has a happy,happy ending! Some recent arrivals up from NYC decided to open up a NYC-type deli in his place....and...Guess Who turned out to be their butcher??Turned out the guy missed the butchering..but not the headache of running a business..so NOW we gots our burgers again..just in time for summer!![They actually did a BIG story about this guy coming back in our local paper-this guy was MISSED!!]

Another funny thing was that half the lunch counters in town bought their burgers from him,so they of course went downhill when he closed..and almost every pancake breakfast in town went downhill after he closed as he was THEIR main supplier of sausage as well....and I havent even mentioned the way he prepared [and the new people do now]the Boars Head roast beef to make it AMBROSIA...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/18 13:06:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Does anyone here have a favorite local shop to buy chopped meat/raw burgers? In our town there was a family butchers here for the longest time...he made THE greatest burger patties [and h ad reputedly the best prime meats in town anyways..]- square quarter pound lovelies with JUST enough fat content to keep them from sticking to the grill..I would have to say it was ground sirloin that was about 85% lean...anyways, ONE of these babies was truly enough as they hardly shrunk..mmm...anyways about a year ago we had a CRISIS- the guy retired!! His kids were all in school, and werent interested in the business;so he sold to these people who turned not to have a CLUE about meat, so they ended up shutting down..[|)]HOWEVER thi s story has a happy,happy ending! Some recent arrivals up from NYC decided to open up a NYC-type deli in his place....and...Guess Who turned out to be their butcher??Turned out the guy missed the butchering..but not the headache of running a business..so NOW we gots our burgers again..just in time for summer!![They actually did a BIG story about this guy coming back in our local paper-this guy was MISSED!!]

Another funny thing was that half the lunch counters in town bought their burgers from him,so they of course went downhill when he closed..and almost every pancake breakfast in town went downhill after he closed as he was THEIR main supplier of sausage as well....and I havent even mentioned the way he prepared [and the new people do now]the Boars Head roast beef to make it AMBROSIA...

I luckily have several around here! For the tastiest burger, the closest one is 7 miles away, but well worth the drive... Their burgers are pure heaven... Nothing in our grocery stores even comes close.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2310
    RE: A film about burgers... 2004/04/18 14:38:51 (permalink)
    tiki,
    You can eat all the burgers you want, but you're NOT excused from attending the country ham festival!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1