Hot!A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/07 05:40:27 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Ketteract

kevincad

You can't find cheese curd in New England? I'm from western NY state originally, and we had cheese curd there!

None of the stores around me have them, and none of my coworkers from around CT and MA had ever heard of them. :)

You just have to know where to look. Cheese curds a aplenty in New England.

Small update: I was in Boston yesterday for work and asked a few folks about cheese curds.  Same response as from my CT/MA coworkers in my Hartford office - none of them had a clue!  

It's strange to me because people around here know about poutine (well, more people than in KC, that's for sure), but they didn't recognize the cheese in that as cheese curds. And when I describe how I know them from the Midwest - in a plastic bag, squeaky against your teeth when they're fresh - I get blank looks.

(Incidentally, I'd think that having to "know where to look" disqualifies something from being "aplenty" - the whole point of "aplenty" is that you don't have to look at all for it! But I digress.)
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/02/07 05:41:31
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/07 07:24:15 (permalink)
Ketteract

wanderingjew

Ketteract

kevincad

You can't find cheese curd in New England? I'm from western NY state originally, and we had cheese curd there!

None of the stores around me have them, and none of my coworkers from around CT and MA had ever heard of them. :)

Small update: I was in Boston yesterday for work and asked a few folks about cheese curds.  Same response as from my CT/MA coworkers in my Hartford office - none of them had a clue!  

It's strange to me because people around here know about poutine (well, more people than in KC, that's for sure), but they didn't recognize the cheese in that as cheese curds. And when I describe how I know them from the Midwest - in a plastic bag, squeaky against your teeth when they're fresh - I get blank looks.

(Incidentally, I'd think that having to "know where to look" disqualifies something from being "aplenty" - the whole point of "aplenty" is that you don't have to look at all for it! But I digress.)

That would be like asking someone from Long Island if they know what "Beef on Weck" is- "well, they're from New York (of course they should know what it is?" or perhaps asking someone from Kansas City if they know what Toasted Ravioli is...."Huh? what's that?" "Well, aren't you from Missouri?" 
I guess the next place you would have asked someone about Cheese Curds would probably have been Stamford or Greenwich CT,  and they would have been more clueless than those from Boston . Well that is New England? (Not at all) or maybe Coastal Maine?
Cheese Curds are aplenty in Inland Northern New England ...Go just about anywhere in Vermont or New Hampshire (north of Concord) and just about everyone will know what Cheese Curds are and tell you where you can find them...
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/07 09:26:15 (permalink)
Great report, thanks! Not sure how I missed this thread until now as it started a month ago. I loved the "group shot" of the local foods you picked up. I started doing that a couple of years ago, i.e. taking pictures of the local foods I picked up on a trip. It's a great way to look back.

I've had Boetje's  mustard and Sterzings chips from Mail Order, good stuff.

One interesting thing I noticed on the sausage pizza pic is that the cheese is ON TOP of the sausage. Seems to me just about every sausage pizza I've ever had has the sausage on top of the cheese. I wonder if cheese on top is a local variation or if I just never noticed it before.

As far as cheese curds, there's a couple of Amish Markets here in NJ that carry them, and they seem pretty good, but I'm not an expert, so I may not know what I'm missing.

Thanks again.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5207
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/07 09:33:26 (permalink)
Ken, I've seen it both ways here in the Midwest.  I don't know if this is the definitive reason, but because the sausage on Ketteract's pizza is finely ground I suspect the cheese might insulate it against overcooking/burning while still allowing it to cook thoroughly.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/07 09:40:28 (permalink)
EdSails

I wish I could find cheese curds here in SoCal. I have never seen them. I suppose next time my son comes down from Winnipeg I'll have to have him bring some and make me poutine.
Hey Ed...I've got a cheese curd connection....PM your address and I'll ship you some. Pretty fair variety...white cheddar, yellow cheddar, cajun and dill. I see you are in MV...I lived in Laguna back in the 70's.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/08 07:02:15 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Ketteract

wanderingjew

Ketteract

kevincad

That would be like asking someone from Long Island if they know what "Beef on Weck" is- "well, they're from New York (of course they should know what it is?" or perhaps asking someone from Kansas City if they know what Toasted Ravioli is...."Huh? what's that?" "Well, aren't you from Missouri?" 
I guess the next place you would have asked someone about Cheese Curds would probably have been Stamford or Greenwich CT,  and they would have been more clueless than those from Boston . Well that is New England? (Not at all) or maybe Coastal Maine?
Cheese Curds are aplenty in Inland Northern New England ...Go just about anywhere in Vermont or New Hampshire (north of Concord) and just about everyone will know what Cheese Curds are and tell you where you can find them...

Well, now that a specific part of New England has been identified, I can tune my expectations accordingly.  :)  Adjusting my sense of scale after moving here from the Midwest has proven to be a challenge - so many tight pockets of diversity over a much smaller area of land!  (Also, it's amusing to hear some folks here referring to a "long drive" as like 1-2 hours when I'm used to much longer.)
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/08 07:40:44 (permalink)
ken8038
One interesting thing I noticed on the sausage pizza pic is that the cheese is ON TOP of the sausage. Seems to me just about every sausage pizza I've ever had has the sausage on top of the cheese. I wonder if cheese on top is a local variation or if I just never noticed it before.

Glad you enjoyed my little report!  Cheese on top is requisite for Harris and other places that offer that specific style (strip-cut, fine sausage, malty crust, etc.), but other Midwestern pizza mainstays like Happy Joe's and Casey's all keep the toppings above.  
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1482
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/08 09:07:33 (permalink)
EdSails

I wish I could find cheese curds here in SoCal. I have never seen them. I suppose next time my son comes down from Winnipeg I'll have to have him bring some and make me poutine.

I've seen them up here at Trader Joe's--don't know about SoCal, though, or how good they are.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/13 09:39:49 (permalink)

I've seen them up here at Trader Joe's--don't know about SoCal, though, or how good they are.

Freshness is a factor, isn't it? I'd bought what were sold as cheese curds from Trader Joe's and the Dekalb (GA) Farmer's Market that were basically free-form chunks of mild cheddar, not at all what I remember from a childhood trip through Wisconsin.
If there's a place near the Quad Cities to find the real thing, well, that's near where my brother and his wife live. I am overdue for a visit...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/13 10:47:01 (permalink)
Vince Macek

Freshness is a factor, isn't it? I'd bought what were sold as cheese curds from Trader Joe's and the Dekalb (GA) Farmer's Market that were basically free-form chunks of mild cheddar, not at all what I remember from a childhood trip through Wisconsin.
Absolutely...the fresher the better!
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/13 13:47:13 (permalink)
Vince Macek

If there's a place near the Quad Cities to find the real thing, well, that's near where my brother and his wife live. I am overdue for a visit...

Anyone "near the Quad-Cities" automatically has easy access to the real thing!  Hy-Vee is the default grocery store in that region and carries the Shullsburg brand of curds (plus regular cheeses).  
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/13 14:09:21 (permalink)
Ketteract

Vince Macek

Anyone "near the Quad-Cities" automatically has easy access to the real thing!  Hy-Vee is the default grocery store in that region and carries the Shullsburg brand of curds (plus regular cheeses).  
As Screaming Chicken agrees, the fresher the better. The optimum way to get fresh ones is to buy where they are made. I go to a factory/store in LaValle, WI. They ship their fresh curds within one day or less from the time they are produced. Chances are that any you see in grocery stores are not that fresh. They do online shopping.
https://www.carrvalleyche...ges.view&page_id=9
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/02/13 21:30:50 (permalink)
Nice report with quality pictures...Thanx.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/05/10 13:05:32 (permalink)
Back in the QC again for a little while, and this time I hit up the Happy Joe's on Locust St:

Still the best taco pizza I've ever had, and that diced Canadian bacon is to die for.  It all tastes exactly the same as when I was a kid, and it's still just as delicious.  What an utter jewel this place is.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/05/16 14:46:08 (permalink)
Ketteract, did you ever have the pizza at Adriana's in Moline?
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:A food tour of the Quad-Cities (IA/IL border)! 2014/05/21 10:12:40 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Ketteract, did you ever have the pizza at Adriana's in Moline?

Heh, you know, I actually have, and as I recall it was perfectly decent pizza.  Nothing spectacular, just decent.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1