A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2010/07/10 02:34:57 (permalink)

A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa

Recently I took a trip to Portland's near abroad, across the Columbia river to Vancouver, Washington. It was a celebratory day of the history of Vancouver's role in the history of the Oregon  Trail, the Cold War and the founding of the Roadfood legendary local chain Burgerville.
     Fort Vancouver National Historic Site celebrates a brigade encampment every  year where reenactors dress up as British workers and soldiers serving at the fort. This year's celebration featured newly reconstructed homes of the fort's non-British employees, a multi-cultural proletariat of Hawaiians, American fur traders and artisans, first nation peoples from all across North America, French Canadians. It was a fine addition to the Fort to see the lives of ordinary folks added to the National Park Service's interpretation of the historical record.
     Also new is a trail through a couple natural gardens featuring plants used by the area's first nation people for food and medicinal purpose. A pleasant stroll.
     The park was also the site of a major thaw in U.S.- Soviet relations. In 1938, three Soviet pilots made the first flight over the North Pole and ended their flight at Pearson Air Field in Vancouver, roughly 1/2 mile from the site of the reconstructed Fort Vancouver. My visit coincided with the anniversary of the flight and there were Russian and state governmental dignitaries marking the anniversary. Incidentally Vancouver may be the only U.S. city with streets named after Soviet military heroes.
     Roadfood history started in Vancouver. The first Burgerville is also about a mile from Fort Vancouver. Burgerville is a group of places committed to only local Pacific Northwess products and features Rogue valley Bleu Cheese and  smoked salmon salads, , seasonal Hazlenut, strawberry and pumpkin shakes, Walla Walla sweet onion rings and fresh asparagus. it is a place of which I am quite proud and i felt there could be no better way of celebrating a historical day than by eating at the first Burgerville.
    It was a good day and one of my first extended days out of the house in a while
post edited by mr chips - 2010/07/10 21:35:46

7 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/10 15:44:27 (permalink)
    I have a feeling I'd enjoy your local reenactments much more than I seem to enjoy mine.  ;)  Sounds like a great day chipsie!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4532
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/10 17:03:23 (permalink)
    Mr Chips, Thank for the trip report.   I like the Burgerville concept and mission, great choice!

Also glad to see you are out and about.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15279
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/10 18:36:10 (permalink)
    Burgerville IS Great. Love the Shakes and the Sweet Potato Fries.

Thanks for the reminder of good food we've enjoyed.
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/10 23:19:26 (permalink)
    Streets named after Soviet Military Heroes? That is pretty different. I am surprised they didn't change those during the Cold War.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/11 01:35:41 (permalink)
    Actually during the periodic thaws in the cold war, a couple of the surviving pilots came to Vancouver to unveil monuments to the flight and Vancouver tended to view the pilots as Lindbergh like heroes so the names never got changed.
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/11 18:14:52 (permalink)
    Did we officially recognize the Soviet Union by the time the pilots landed in Vancouver? I just wonder how hard it was to get that permission, rather than just land in Canada or something.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A history of the Old West, the Cold War and Roadfood, a day in Vancouver,Wa 2010/07/11 20:23:37 (permalink)
    The pilots were headed to Oakland but had engine trouble near Eugene, Oregon and landed in Vancouver. It was a military air field at the time. Curiously, the commander at the time was George C. Marshall, later to win acclaim during and after World War II.  The United States had recognized the Soviet Union in the early 1930's .
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1