A little overdone, a little underdone?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6189
2011/05/30 17:32:46 (permalink)

A little overdone, a little underdone?

Which are you more likely to send back, or will you grin and bear it? Me, if something is overdone, it goes back, I don't want it, tough to serve it to me so rare as to get a trip back to the broiler, although it has happened, way rare Prime Rib is worthless, so back it goes...hows bout you?

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18952
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 17:44:33 (permalink)
    Overdone goes back. A wee bit underdone probably won't.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8403
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 17:50:56 (permalink)
    Underdone if raw goes back.

Overdone if I can chew it I will.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 18:29:17 (permalink)
    Iwanago likes things burn't and I cannot stand anything over cooked.  It makes cooking on the grill a bit difficult.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 18:48:25 (permalink)
    I like beef anywhere from nearly raw to medium-rare so I usually order a steak or prime rib rare to make sure there'll be some pink in the middle.  I can only remember once in the past few years when I was served something more done than I like (burgers don't count) and I went ahead and ate it.

A couple of Mondays ago we went out to dinner and while I forget which particular cut I ordered (might've been a strip or ribeye) I know I ordered it "as rare as they'll do it", and it actually arrived at the table with a cool red center.  We'll be eating at this place (The Continental in Madison/Fitchburg) again and I'm looking forward to another rare steak, but with a different sauce.

So what usually happens to overdone meat that's sent back?  My first job was in a restaurant but I can't remember how those cuts were disposed of, although I'm pretty sure the kitchen and server staffs had well-fed dogs.  Sometimes I wonder if one of the people on the line likes meat that's more well-done and occasionally might "accidentally" overcook something.

Brad
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3655
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 18:51:50 (permalink)
    In my world  the only way for it to be underdone would be for the cow itself to walk out to my table. I will always send back overdone, although I grin and bear what restaurants call "rare" because I understand they can't legally serve what I want. However, if the brown goes further than about  a sixteenth of an inch beyond the edge, back it goes.

ScreamingChicken 
    A couple of Mondays ago we went out to dinner and while I forget which particular cut I ordered (might've been a strip or ribeye) I know I ordered it "as rare as they'll do it", and it actually arrived at the table with a cool red center.  We'll be eating at this place (The Continental in Madison/Fitchburg) again and I'm looking forward to another rare steak, but with a different sauce. 
    Brad 

I would be in seventh heaven!
    post edited by felix4067 - 2011/05/30 18:53:14
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8700
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 19:08:37 (permalink)
    Bob and I are pretty picky about where we go for steak, so for that matter we have rarely had an overdone or underdone steak. Bob likes steak medium, but he has learned to deal with it if its a bit rarer.He never cuts it down the middle, and he lets it rest a bit before eating.
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 19:38:05 (permalink)
    The trouble is that overdone steak takes ten or more minutes to redo, meaning everyone else at the table eats feeling guilty about eating in front of me and then I feel guilty because they have to watch me eat.  I'll only make an issue when I'm spending a lot for my steak and the good steakhouse rarely screw up.

My solution usually is to chew, bear it and never return.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 20:14:40 (permalink)
    If it is a little too rare, I will eat it.  If it is at all overcooked, I will send it back.  
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 20:55:55 (permalink)
    Too rare and bloody, it goes back.  Overdone, I'll eat it.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/30 23:26:26 (permalink)
    It always goes back if it's overdone.  Usually when you tell the server you want it rare they try to suggest maybe you really want it medium rare.  No - I want it charred on the outside and rare on the inside - and not cool when it arrives at the table.
      I won't eat it at home if it's overdone - even if I grilled it and missed the mark.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 06:42:33 (permalink)
    I have never, ever been served meat that was too rare for me. "Under-done" and "well-done" are not in my vocabulary.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 08:24:09 (permalink)
    mowing & wiggling, I will suffer thought it.    The most ticked I've been was when severed a 'rare' prime rib that looked beautiful; first bite was well  done; it looked rare; ... 2nd bite well done;  ???? ... I when to turn the steak over and the "top" came off.   ... There was a well done prime rib under a thin slice of rare prime rib steak.   ... The Manager carried that plate back to the kitchen.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 10:20:29 (permalink)
    It depends on where I am and how much I'm paying as much as anything. If I'm paying a lot, or in a place where they should know what they're doing (like Chubby's), it goes back (although I don't think that would ever happen at Chubby's, I'm just using it as an example of a place where a meal doesn't cost $100 but quality is expected by both the proprietor and the patrons).

If I'm in a place where the food is cheap and it looks like people don't care, my actions aren't going to change that and may even exacerbate it, and I hold my nose and chew.

post edited by Mosca - 2011/05/31 10:21:54
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 11:15:11 (permalink)
    I had an ex-wife who liked burgers well-done, which meant that, if I ordered a burger (medium-rare is my choice), chances were that both would come out stiff as a board.  I modified my behavior to let her order first, then change my order to chicken or fish, just to avoid the pain.

That said, I guess that I didn't change enough for her standards...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 11:18:42 (permalink)
    I seldom have trouble getting my steak done medium rare to medium. If it is pink it's correct, If it is red and pink, it is still acceptable, If it is bloody red and cool it goes back, assuming it is thick enough to be 'adjusted'.
      It took the guys at Outback where we go for Rack of Lamb now and then, several tries to get the whole rack, my preferred serving style, browned on the outside and pink to red on the inside. One night I sent back two Racks for being brown thru-out. The manager came over looking to see if I was just an 'over-complainer'. He listened to me order it Pink inside and then waited with us while the third try came out...all BROWN. At that point everyone else was thru with their dinner. He suggested that I order the Rack divided into two-rib sections, but I turned him down as the rest of the family was ready to leave. He comped the whole dinner,  4 adults and two kids and apologized.  On our next visit he made sure the cook knew how to grill Racks of Lamb before my order was grilled (he told me he checked the order twice during the grilltime). I consider that pretty good service.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 14:10:19 (permalink)
    With steaks, if it's just a little under or over, I'll eat it. Too far either way and I'll send it back, but I think I've only had to do that twice that I can ever think of.
    Burgers, if it's undercooked at all, it goes back. I can deal with a little overcooked as long as it's not a hockey puck.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:A little overdone, a little underdone? 2011/05/31 17:00:34 (permalink)
    chewingthefat Which are you more likely to send back, or will you grin and bear it? Me, if something is overdone, it goes back, I don't want it, tough to serve it to me so rare as to get a trip back to the broiler, although it has happened, way rare Prime Rib is worthless, so back it goes...hows bout you?

Depends on the food. I like beef medium rare, but will take rare to medium. If it is more or less than that (less meaning mostly or entirely raw) I will send it back. Undercooked chicken, and I call the manager over. Otherwise, more likely to send back overcooked than undercooked (I don't order pork dishes except slow cooked barbecue; if THAT comes undercooked, then I'm surprised the place is still in business).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1