A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was (UPDATED 02/09/12)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
2012/01/19 08:49:48 (permalink)

A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was (UPDATED 02/09/12)

I have been really loving all of the year end reports, especially the ones from Wanderingjew, Buffetbuster and Kaszeta.  Here is my little piece of RF for 2011, in chronological order.  
I wasn't feeling particularly Roadfood-y at the beginning of 2011 as I had been in running mode and I stayed away from RF for a bit while training, however, a visit from Ayersian (Chris & Amy) jump-started my RF taste buds...a trip to Peter Luger to share a steak, a bacon cheeseburger and some apple strudel with schlag was just what the Roadfood "doctor" ordered.  We also made a visit to Pies-N-Thighs for a tasty hot sauced fried chicken biscuit.  A stop at City Bakery for one of their pretzel croissants and some thick caramel hot chocolate (with a homemade marshmallow) was just right on a cold day.  And I finally had the pleasure of meeting and breaking bread, er, Toasted Marshmallow milkshakes with Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle at STAND.  Really an honor to be able to hang with them.

More to come...
post edited by billyboy - 2012/02/09 07:15:54

74 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/19 08:55:15 (permalink)
    So far...looking good....oh that chicken & biscuit  !!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2986
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/19 09:07:45 (permalink)
    billyboy -
    Your camera work is absolutely superb!
    Execellent!
    Keep it coming...
    CTD

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/19 09:12:43 (permalink)
    Oh, this is going to be fun!  Love that Peter Luger burger!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/19 09:20:43 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Oh, this is going to be fun!  Love that Peter Luger burger!

BB:  Just out of curiosity, how did you know that was a Peter Luger burger???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/19 09:53:08 (permalink)
    Paul-
    Because it looks exactly like the one I was served back in April, which was the best burger I ate in 2011.
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/21 17:39:32 (permalink)
    Just a few days after I met up with ayerisan, my girlfriend and I had dinner at The Meatball Shop on the Lower East Side, NYC.  I had been wanting to try this new-ish place for a couple of months.  With their motto, "We Make Balls" and their audio clip, "Mmm, balls!" on their website, I knew I'd like this place.  My beef balls with parmesan cream sauce over polenta were just amazing.  Dayna's vegetable balls (mushrooms and green lentils) with tomato sauce over mashed potatoes were pretty good too.  The real surprise here were the HUGE ice cream (house made!) cookie sandwiches for dessert.  The fresh mint ice cream between a chocolate chip AND a brownie cookie that we split was a revelation.

While checking out the SeriousEatsNY website one day I came across an article about a bakery in Chelsea that was making homemade Twinkies, Yodels and Funny Bones.  No sooner had my heels cooled off I found myself standing in front of Lulu Cake Boutique.  While my selection at 6:00pm was somewhat limited, the red velvet Twinkie with whipped cream cheese filing and the comically oversized Yodel put Hostess to shame.

I found out about Bowery Beef one day while reading a NY Metro newspaper on the commute to work.  Promoting "North Shore Boston-style roast beef sandwiches", I just had to check it out.  BB is situated in the front room of the Bowery Poetry Club & Cafe, hence the staircase in the shot below.  I've not yet been to see any live performances but I've heard it's something I should check out.  Their sandwich was pretty good, but not what I think of in terms of a North Shore style.  No onion roll though the sauce was good and they did offer horseradish.  Being a huge Seinfeld fan I had to try the Bosco chocolate soda and discovered I really don't like the taste of Bosco!  Worth a trip back for another sandwich with a side of live poetry.

Luke's Lobster, Butter Lane Cupcakes, Caracas Arepas Bar and Porchetta are just some of the tasty offerings on East 7th Street in the East Village.  A porchetta plate with beans and cooking greens was perfect way to fuel up on a cold, blustery winter's day.  There was a well-balanced mix of soft shreds of pork mixed with various herbs along with those crispy bits of pork skin.  The beans were soft and creamy though the greens could have been wilted a bit more.  Add to that the great food conversation I had with a pair of Los Angelenos(sp?) seeking good eats and the very kind elderly Italian man I met whose son brought him here for a taste of home (thank you so much for not choosing the Olive Garden!) and it was a wonderful day.

Much more to come...stay tuned!!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2986
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/21 17:46:35 (permalink)
    billyboy -
    You sure travel in style...

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/21 18:51:57 (permalink)
    Fabulous, thus far, my friend!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/21 22:26:10 (permalink)
    Don't like Bosco...Oh my.... grew up on the stuff in the 50's...that and Cocoa Marsh
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/25 03:41:11 (permalink)
    When I moved to NYC from Boston one thing I knew I was going to miss was my 2-3x a week burrito fix at Anna's Taqueria.  I had searched for a place here in NYC that had a similar taste and came up short every time...until recently.  Dos Toros Taqueria is a little closet of a place near Union Square serving up some most tasty carne asada and carnitas burritos.  While I wished they made their tortilla in-house, the intense flavor of the beef and the pork has made me a repeat offender!  The carnitas with pintos and guacamole gives me flashbacks to Anna's in my old Boston neighborhood.  Thanks, Dos Toros!

One thing that draws me to Dos Toros besides the food is their sense of whimsy with their signs...

and especially their tip jar!  They change it periodically and some of their recent signs were: "Tip Lincecum" (they're big SF Giants fans) and Joe Guac-er (complete with a picture of Joe Cocker from Woodstock).

While walking around the East Village doing some food research I came about the Dessert Truck's "brick & mortar" location, DT Works, just a stone's throw from Katz's Delicatessen.  While everything on the menu looked great, I was drawn to the brioche donut squares (big surprise!).  They come two to an order and I went one a different filling for each one.  What blew me away is that they are fried to order.  No donuts sitting around here and it is worth the 5 minute wait.  Hot, fresh and full of gooey, creamy goodness these are definitely an indulgence I'll be partaking in again real soon!

While I am a huge fan of Vanessa's Dumplings I thought I should check out Prosperity Dumpling a few blocks further down the street after reading about it on a local food blog.  The pork & chive dumplings and sesame pancake are just as cheap and just as tasty.  The atmosphere has a Roadfood vibe to it that made me think, "Wow!  They certainly put the "dump" in dumpling!".

More after the break...

post edited by billyboy - 2012/01/27 01:31:36
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/25 08:50:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for this report, so far. You've given me some places to check out in NYC!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/25 09:07:10 (permalink)
    The meatball with parmesan sauce over polenta looks fantastic!  Was the beef seasoned with oregano, basil, etc. in keeping with the Italian theme?

Brad
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/26 01:53:49 (permalink)
    Hey Brad, their online menu says the beef balls are seasoned with prosciutto, herbs and ricotta.  Mmmm!
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 04:20:20 (permalink)
    Towards the end of February, my girlfriend and I found a good deal with Groupon and we ended up taking a 2-hour cupcake baking class at Butter Lane Cupcakes in the East Village.  For $25 each we were able to sample the cupcakes seen below and had a staffer walk us through making the batter and the frosting along with two other teams and then were were able to take home a dozen cupcakes per person from all of the different flavors we all had made.  We saved a few for the apartment which were most tasty but the majority made it to my office as keeping them close at hand, er, mouth would not have been a good idea.  Highly recommend this class!  My apologies for the low quality photos as I didn't have the camera, only the cell phone but I wanted to show my fellow RFers that from time to time I don't just consume but actually create!

As much as street cart pretzels are an ubiquitous part of NYC culture, I've never thought of the city as a "pretzel town".  To paraphrase one of my favorite comics, Jim Gaffigan, I think of them as "gamble pretzels", as I never know if they will be cold, stale, hard or crumbly and as a result I've given up buying them from carts when I consider how many frogs I've kissed in my search for a good pretzel.  Finally, Sigmund Pretzel Shop opened in the East Village and serves up some warm, chewy pretzels that come in a variety of flavors.  The day I went a man came in to the store to pick up a party pack for a German-themed party he was hosting.  They offer a variety of mustards and sauces for dipping as well as sandwiches on pretzel bread.

Love this sign!

In April, The Travelin' Man put together an epic RF meet-up in NYC and I finally had the honor of sharing a few meals with one Buffetbuster, esq.!!  Steve, Cliff and Beth and I had some adventures in the subway system getting back to their hotel downtown!  We first met up at P.J. Clarke's in the Midtown East section of Manhattan.  The lobster mac & cheese we split was mighty fine and the home fries was good too, but those cheeseburgers and the house-made tater tots are what blew me away.

The next morning a number of the gang went to Peter Luger's for the burger but I chose to meet up with Ayersian at DiFara's Pizza in the Midwood section of Queens as none of us had ever been and it was on our short list.  After getting over the sticker shock from this wall menu (my wallet jumped out of my pants pocket and double-timed it down the street!) we all tried a slice of Sicilian which was rich beyond belief and we split a large pie with pepperoni and semi-dried cherry tomatoes (good call on that one, Amy!).  Again this was incredibly rich, fresh and bursting with flavor.  The spectacle of watching Mr. DeMarco assemble it was the crowning touch.  Glad I could also get a shot of C & A tucking in and enjoying themselves.

Before we reconvened with the rest of the gang, we made a stop at the venerable Brooklyn hot roast beef sandwich shop, Brennan & Carr.  Walking in and smelling the aroma of roast beef and that trough of beef broth simmering away was intoxicating.  We split a sandwich dipped in beef broth and it was pretty darn good though I think we may have not gotten the full experience as we stood at the counter and perhaps getting a table and taking time to sit down and savor it and the atmosphere would make for a richer experience.

The rest of the "Roadfood Rumshpringa" meet-up after this word from our sponsor...

joliehamer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 12:30:44 (permalink)
    YUM!!!  My husband and I are going to take a drive down to Manhattan this weekend because we have been so inspired by your pictures!!!  Perhaps we'll have to make several trips in...lol 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 15:06:13 (permalink)
    $28 for a regular pie...wow.....it must be great!!!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 15:06:22 (permalink)
    $28 for a regular pie...wow.....it must be great!!!!!
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 16:19:23 (permalink)
    After our roast beef journey, we met up with the rest of the group outside of Peter Luger's where they exchanged some of their leftovers for our extra pizza from DiFara's.  Not a bad trade-off!  Next up was Sicilian slices and spumoni at L & B Spumoni Gardens in the Gravesend section of Brooklyn.  I never, ever tire of this pizza.  Ever.  An that spumoni is a perfect way to end a meal there.  So glad I was able to spend a couple of days with all of these wonderful people! Love that "old fashioned" condiment tray outside!

A short drive away was Nathan's Famous to munch on some of those classic hot dogs and crinkle-cut fries.  Another winner and they really don't taste the same at any other Nathan's location.

The group split up for a bit to get some rest and we reconvened in the dining concourse of Grand Central terminal to dine at the Oyster Bar.  This marked my first time trying a fried "whole belly" style clam and it was pretty good.  Now I'm amped up to try some in New England!  The signature pan roast (mine was shrimp) was outstanding.  Heavy with cream and vividly spiced, this definitely needs to be savored slowly, preferably with a LOT of bread!  I'm not one for oysters but most of the gang seemed to really enjoy them.  And RFer Lexi was named "Miss Roadfood" for the night!  ;)

Naturally, after all of that rich heavy food, we needed something light to balance it out.  I can think of nothing more appropriate than heading across the hall to Junior's for some cheesecake and egg creams!  The carrot cake cheesecake and Red Velvet cake were outstanding.  I tried to get a shot of the classic slice but by the time I had the camera ready they had made short work of it!  That chocolate egg cream was mighty fine too.  I was just eating at Junior's last week and I still am wowed by that cheesecake!

I called it a night as I had a race the next morning but a few brave souls marched on to the Shake Shack for some concretes to cap off the night.  The next morning I met up with Chris, Amy and Cliff at Pommes Frites.  We split a small order and it was still daunting to eat.  Those frites are a perfect balance of crispy and creamy and they make most of their own sauces in-house and they really are bursting with flavor.  I've tried most of their sauces but the Sweet Mango Chutney mayo keeps calling my name.

Chris & Amy had some plans that afternoon so we said our goodbyes then Cliff and I walked over to Crif Dogs on St. Mark's Place in the East Village for some deep fried tube steaks.  If you're not sure where it is, just look for the sign below.  The classic Crif Dog and the Tsunami Dog were both decadent and exactly what we needed.  The baked beans may not have been homemade but certainly reminded me of ones from my childhood.  

Cliff and I were making our way to the Doughnut Plant, Kossar's Bialys, The Pickle Guys and Economy Candy when The Travelin' Man called and he had just gotten out of work so we cut our journey short and met up with him.  They invited me to join them at Harold's Deli in NJ but I had to decline as I didn't think I was up to the task of handling that much food!  However, walking back home I passed the new location of the Doughnut Plant on 23rd Street and popped in to try three of their new flavors.  I love the atmosphere of this place from the doughnut shaped pillows on the wall, the doughnut chairs and the big screen TV on the wall showing doughnuts being made.  NOTE: When they first opened they weren't actually making the doughnuts on-site but getting them from the original LES location.  They were still great as the place was always packed and there was high turnover.  From top to bottom:  Chocolate Chip Cookie doughnut, Salted Peanut doughnut, Oatmeal doughnut.  And uh, by the way, they were real AND they were spectacular!

Not even halfway done with 2011, don't change that dial!!
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 18:27:33 (permalink)
    LOVE THIS!!!!  Can't wait to see how it ends . . . hope I get to join you on some of what I'm sure will be fabulous adventures in 2012!  karilyn
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 18:35:56 (permalink)
    Those doighnuts look awesome.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/27 20:48:34 (permalink)
    Billyboy, nobody, but NOBODY, does NYC like you do. Great report as usual! Thanks!
    Your trip to the Meatball shop reminds me that I want to get to this place:
    http://parmnyc.com/

billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/28 00:05:43 (permalink)
    Lee, I my jaw definitely hit the floor when I walked in and saw the prices.  I can safely say though that we were all truly impressed with not only the atmosphere of the place but the quality put into each pie.  Definitely time and money well spent.  
    Karilyn, thanks so much!  Always enjoy getting to spend time with you and hope to do so more in Mass. this year.  Would love to travel more. 
    Greymo, yeah love that Doughnut Plant and the Salted Peanut had lots of crunchy, salty nuts on it.  
    Ken, how did I not know about this place?  Adding it to the Master List.  Thanks!!
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1730
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/28 23:53:11 (permalink)
    The outstanding Photo's and the of course, the great comments says I gotta get my butt back up to NYC and get my daughter to take me out to some of these places, rather than have her always returning here for Dad's home-cooked food!  Thanks!
    billyboy
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/30 23:33:55 (permalink)
    While on my way to a stand-up comedy show, I stopped for dinner at Bark in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn.  I love that they carry Foxon Park sodas and this Iron Brew was crisp and just sweet enough.  The Bark Dog (a Hartmann's Old World Sausage hot dog with sweet pepper relish, mustard and onions on a buttered and griddled Pepperidge Farms bun) was just the ticket.  The batter on the onion rings was rather addictive but overwhelmed the onion flavor and the beans with a squiggle of yellow mustard were smoky and tangy.  Bark makes a sincere effort to buy from small, local and organic purveyors whenever possible and I think that's pretty cool. 

In May 2011, I met up with fellow RFers Bethgrd and Karilyn to participate in The Great Saunter, a 32-mile walk around the island of Manhattan.  While we didn't complete the entire walk, we did take in some pretty cool sights along the Hudson and went right past the U.S.S. Intrepid.  

Around 5 miles in, we took a detour to have lunch at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Harlem to refuel with lunch.  The bbq shrimp, fried green tomatoes, Wango Tango wings, deviled eggs and sausage & crackers with pimiento cheese definitely hit the spot as did the brisket sliders (sorry, no shot of those).  And a cold Saranac to wash it all down!

A walk through Harlem and a short subway ride later we found ourselves at The Cloisters near Fort Tyron Park.  Gorgeous views and timeless artifacts made for a relaxing afternoon.  

A slight miscalculation on my part resulted in missing out on some tasty chicken & waffles, however, we did make it to Union Square to STAND for some deep fried sweet pickles and a buffet of milkshakes (toasted marshmallow, peanut butter cup and chocolate malted) that won us all over with every bite and every sip!

A short cab ride later we found ourselves at Hill Country Barbeque * Market for some beef ribs, brisket and smoked pork chops sided with some corn pudding and sweet potato mash washed down with Big Red and real sugar Coke.  Love that brisket and the intense smoke they put in their meats.  

We had a great day and after they went back to their hotel I walked around for a bit and came upon a street fair that looked mighty interesting and as it turned out I still had a wee bit 'o space left in my belly!  The Girl Scout cookie themed "Samoa" cannoli was tasty and the blackberry & sour cherry pop was very refreshing after a long day of walking.  I just hope Paul Bunyan's doctor doesn't discover his tongue depressor is missing!  And eating my pop in view of the Flatiron building just capped off a day with great friends and great food.  

Much more still to come!!

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/31 00:03:18 (permalink)
    Fantastic! Your year in review, along with all the others, reminds me what this site is all about. Bravo!
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/31 09:12:44 (permalink)
    As usual, great report..... love the pics!
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/31 09:12:44 (permalink)
    As usual, great report..... love the pics!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/31 10:25:08 (permalink)
    This get's better with each entry!!!!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:A look back on 2011: The Roadfood Year That Was 2012/01/31 12:27:20 (permalink)
    Wish I were there ... for just about all the stops !!!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1