A must!

Author
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
2003/07/16 09:18:37 (permalink)

A must!

We ate breakfast at The Dillard House in the Georgia mountains yesterday. I can't wait to go back there and stay so I can try the lunch or dinner. I thought The Daniel Boone Inn in Boone was great, but The Dillard House is even more. It's near Helen (quaint little "German" village) and Dillsboro, Asheville, NC. The countryside is beautiful-their website is www.dillardhouse.com-don't miss it-it's worth any drive! They grow and cure most of their foods.
This is also the area where the Foxfire Book series originated

1 Reply Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: A must! 2003/07/19 12:44:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by familydok

We ate breakfast at The Dillard House in the Georgia mountains yesterday. I can't wait to go back there and stay so I can try the lunch or dinner. I thought The Daniel Boone Inn in Boone was great, but The Dillard House is even more. It's near Helen (quaint little "German" village) and Dillsboro, Asheville, NC. The countryside is beautiful-their website is www.dillardhouse.com-don't miss it-it's worth any drive! They grow and cure most of their foods.
    This is also the area where the Foxfire Book series originated

My favorite for this style of food is about 30 miles north of Boone at Shatley Springs(www.shatleysprings.com)in Ashe County, North Carolina. The restaurant began as a part of a "healing springs" cabin complex in the 1890s and has drawn people from hundreds of miles away ever since. People still bring water containers to fill up with the "curative waters" from the springs and take with them after their visit. Their "Family Style" breakfast consists of cereal, juice, eggs, bacon country ham, sausage, gravy, red-eye gravy, biscuits, hotcakes, potatoes, grits, baked apples, strawberry preserves and beverage. This isn't the menu--all of this is brought to your table with the family style order. They will sometimes throw in some pork tenderloin just in case the rest isn't enough. And the quality is even better than the quantity.
    Their family style lunch/dinner brings country ham, fried chicken, biscuits, drink, dessert an five (5) vegetables (from potatoes, creamed corn, boiled cabbage, green beans, pinto beans, baked appples, coleslaw)
    The place isn't easy to find, but driving through the beautiful North Carolina mountain countryside looking for it only adds to the experience. It is located 8 miles south of the Virginia-North Carolina border on NC highway 16, and just over 4 miles north of the intersection of highway 16 with US 221 near Jefferson, NC.
    There is another place near Jefferson, "Greenfields's", that has a very similar menu and is located in a big farmhouse on a horsefarm.
    Any effort to describe the food at either place would be inadequate. This is mountain country, they have a lot of snow in Winter, and they are only open from April 15 through December 1.
    This is beautiful country--"Where Springtime spends the Summer"--and is worth spending some of your vacation time away from the grind.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1