A new venture

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
klkruger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: A new venture 2005/05/17 12:54:37 (permalink)
First, congrats, Raine, on your new venture. I wish you every success (and will be sure to stop by when I'm in your neighborhood).

I may be going out on a limb here but, to me, your most important back-of-house person is your prep cook, whether that's you or someone else. A good prep cook can whip up a batch of hushpuppies in no time. If you want to distinguis your operation by the quality of your food then be careful what (if anything) you select from the giant food service providers. For instance, I've had Sysco's frozen hushpuppies cooked in their 'oil blend', and that's what they taste like--food service hushpuppies cooked in food service oil. Their mayo is lousy to me--as well.

I'm not saying don't use them necessarily (they're great for paper products!) just be aware--you don't want to compromise your fine looking (and tasting, I'm sure) product. If you have to charge more to make your product the way you want to then do so--and note it proudly and prominently on the menu. Too many places fail by starting out good, then lowering the quality of their ingredients to save money. They rarely last long after that.

Again, best wishes and best of luck to you.

Kevin
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: A new venture 2005/05/17 13:46:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Raine

We just purchased a restaurant. Now a ton of questions, like picking the right food broker, finding the right hushpuppy mix, finding the right employees. Any feedback welcome.

I have spent 25 years working as a manager and have seen where an incompetent employee was fired and got major bucks in court because the employer failed to document the actions that led up to the dismissal. One person I know actually was fired from the Postal Service and got his job back after two years with full pay and any overtime he would have worked. The settlement was enough to buy two new cars cash! This is not an isolated case and it happens more often than you think! I had to attend a seminar given buy attorneys which tell you in detail how to fire an employee. The best advice I can give you is when you hire an employee you hire him or her not with the intension of firing them. You can not expect them to have the same enthusiasm as you do! It’s your business not there’s, that’s number one! Number two is you must train them and they must know what you expect of them (Your rules). Write them down and have them sign it and give them a copy. Last but most important, ANY discipline must be corrective in nature or you will look like you are beating them up. If after nothing else works and you do let them go they need to know why. If it is for a health department issue like not washing after leaving the rest room you need to document it and have them sign it, if they don’t sign it just indicate it on the paper employee refused to sign. Always have a witness present! Never, Never ever take a woman into your office to discipline or fire by yourself!
Good luck, Its not that hard and most people that work for you want to do a good job If they do Tell them so with a gift, Free meal, ball game tickets, etc.. a little honey goes a long, long way. Your employees are who will make you successful.
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: A new venture 2005/05/17 14:02:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Raine

Thanks for visiting! From what everyone tells us the food is as good, if not better than it looks.

Looks like the website will need some updating/overall now. Anybody out there do web design, that would be willing to help out a start-up business?

Be glad to lend a hand with the web site, Shoot me an email and we can go over a few design flaws you have as well as the strong points you should keep. Over its ok! The BBQ looks very good I have worked a few of those cook offs and I know how hard it is to make them happen. We did first and second place two years in a row at the DC cook off as Blue & Grey BBQ, it was fun!!
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: A new venture 2005/05/27 07:25:32 (permalink)
raine, good luck on your adventure. many of us here will offer all we can in a positive way. just post questions and ignore the negative responding idiots. i too, have a bbq place. i have posted in another thread about my woes with sysco. i reccomend u.s. food as a provider. they have great meats for bbq, and tons of other items you may need. i also get stuff from sams, as they may be better priced. just shopping around, i save a couple hundred bucks a week! good luck, dont worry! just enjoy the ride........
michael
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: A new venture 2005/05/27 08:19:02 (permalink)
just post questions and ignore the negative responding idiots. i too, have a bbq place.

"negative responding idiots"????

nice mouth.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1