Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 156
cjucoder

• Total Posts: 162
Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 7:54 PM (permalink)
quijote

So far on this trip report, there's spicy fried chicken, all manner of barbeque, juicy and cheesed-out burgers, fresh local produce and more.... all set to the background music of Bluegrass, and all placed against the backdrop of local color such as cool bridges and funky roadside eateries and riverside downtowns. What's not to drool over? This is Roadfood presented in context, as product and symbol of its surroundings--not simply tourism, but real-deal travel.

Ummm, yeah, what he said. Someday I'll be as eloquent as quijote (maybe not), but meanwhile I agree 100%.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
    Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 8:09 PM (permalink)
    Bob,

I forgot to tell you that on our drive to Arizona, whenever we saw an old rusty bridge, a 'Welcome to' sign, or some other roadside oddity, Bobbi & I would say "There's a Bob shot."  I can't imagine how long it takes you to get anywhere with all those photo stops.

Jim

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
      Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 8:12 PM (permalink)
         By now it was late afternoon, so Louis and I headed back up to Owensboro for dinner at the famed Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn.

<message edited by Carolina Bob on Mon, 07/26/10 8:14 PM>

X1

• Total Posts: 937
        Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 8:14 PM (permalink)
        Is it all buffet, or can you order off a menu, as well?

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 8:21 PM (permalink)
          You can go either way. Due to past bad experiences with buffets, I was going to order off the menu, but Louis convinced me to give the buffet a try, and I'm glad that he did. The employees replace the food pans so frequently that the food never has a chance to get cold.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 9:54 PM (permalink)
               I've been meaning to visit the Moonlite for years, but this was the first chance that I had to get over there. This place is a true Roadfood gem, featuring barbecued pork, beef, chicken and mutton, plus an interesting variety of side dishes. There's a nice selection of desserts too.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 10:10 PM (permalink)
                 Here's my initial plate of food, and I wish that I could remember exactly what I had besides the white corn ( I've just got to start taking notes. ) If I remember correctly, there's beef along with the mutton, and I think that the other side was fried apples. After something like a dozen meals in two days, it's rather difficult to keep track of everything I had to eat.

Louis and I each had a bowl of this intensely-flavored shredded mutton. Very good stuff, as was everything else that I had to eat there.

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
                Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 11:08 PM (permalink)
                I am loving this report - - especially all of the extras - local color, wonderful bridge photos (grew up in Pgh, PA, so I am a bridge lover) and the great menu shots....  Those local roads that meander through towns, villages and farmland have so much personality and you never know when you are going to go around a bend and find a treasure of sorts.....
                Thanks for allowing us to hitchhike along with your travels...  It is appreciated....

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Mon, 07/26/10 11:15 PM (permalink)
                  We have found the Evening Buffet at the Moonlite BBQ on Fridays to be the best place we can take visitors. It is a 99 mile ride each way, but the time zone makes the ride down work to our favor in timing  dinner. 

In addition to the BBQ selections that include Sliced and chopped  Pork, Mutton, and Sliced Beef (They use whole Beef Shoulders not Brisket), and Pork Ribs.  There are Country Ham slices, BBQ Chicken and a bunch of fried seafood (Shrimp, Oysters and Whole and Fiddler Catfish. and peel-and-eat shrimp, Good Cornmeal-based Stuffing and Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Several veggies and the fried Apples complete the "Hot Side" of the Buffet.

On the "Cold Side" (Salad bar), in addition to the usual Salad items they make a good eggy Potato Salad.  The Burgoo Pot is over there too (we normally pass that by).

On the side-bars in that area are the desserts. Always on the list will be Pecan Pie and Fudge-covered Pecan Pie, Coconut Cream, Ice-box Lemon, Chess or Sugar pie, Rhubarb, Apple and a couple of Sugar-free fruit pies as well. Two flavors of Fruit Cobbler, Usually Cherry or Peach and Blackberry.  They up-graded their soft-serve some time back, to the same 'good-quality' Soft-serve you get at a DQ now.

Our dessert plate will always include a piece of the Coconut Cream and a slice of the Rhubarb covered with a scoop of the Blackberry Cobbler ! A great combination.

BTW to answer a question from a previous page... A Catfish Fiddler is a Catfish Filet breaded and fried.  Folks who don't want to mess with the whole fish, or deal with the bones will usually order the Fiddlers...several filets instead of whole Catfish. Purists tend not to do that !!!
                    The Froglegs seem to be a seasonal addition, not always on the weekend Buffet. A "Saddle" is a pair of the legs with the hipjoints holding them together. I am not a fan of froglegs, so we seldom even look at them.

The dinner buffet starts at 4 PM and is definitely the best meal of the day at the Moonlite. Lunch will find you looking for Ribs and Pies with no success....and no seafood either.  wait for the Dinner,  and preferably the Friday Dinner !

BTW they close at 3 PM on Sundays, and most of the times we have run into 'left-overs' on the Buffet, it has been on Sundays. We have learned not to go on that day anymore.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 12:06 AM (permalink)
                       As if Louis and I hadn't put enough miles on his car in the previous forty-eight hours, we decided to finish our day by driving the approximately fifty miles west from Owensboro to New Harmony IN, the home of the Red Geranium.

<message edited by Carolina Bob on Tue, 07/27/10 2:13 AM>

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 12:36 AM (permalink)
                         Part of the famous New Harmony Inn that attracts visitors from all over, the Red Geranium is a fairly upscale restaurant that doesn't have a problem seating blue jeans-types like myself. Here is Louis' appetizer, French onion soup...

... and here's his entree, which, if I remember correctly, was the jumbo sea scallops.

My entree was a 12 ounce Black Angus NY strip steak, served with fingerling potatoes. The steak was very good, but the potatoes were undercooked and rather disappointing.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 8:14 AM (permalink)
                           By the time that we finished our second dinner of the evening, it was late and we were tired as hell, so we headed back to Henderson via IN 66 and called it a night. Early the next afternoon I'd be leaving for home, but before that, Louis and I would be making one more lengthy drive in search of roadfood greatness, namely the recently resurrected Knockum Hill BBQ in Herndon KY. 

callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
                          Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 10:04 AM (permalink)
                          What a fun roadtrip! Red Top Mountain State Park has bluegrass Friday nights, and Raccoon Creek down here has festivals a couple times a year. Last time I went to a Bluegrass festival was up in Cades Cove Tennessee a few years back.

I'm getting the urge to head out for some good food and good music. Can't listen to a lot of bluegrass, but it's fun live and in person. Gotta break out my guitar, fiddle and dulcimer - er - I can't really play 'em well. Maybe I'll just go listen to folks that can play.

Or at least eat some 'Que. I can do that. 

ChiTownDiner

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 12:30 PM (permalink)
                            Carolina -

How much time between those two dinners? 

Not bad if under 2 hours!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 1:54 PM (permalink)
                              CTD,
                                I would have skipped the New Harmony stop if it followed a dinner at the Moonlite. If for no other reason than economics. A $16 unlimited Buffet followed shortly by a $29 dollar plain Steak just doesn't equate in my book. The Steak might have passed as ok, if that WAS dinner...but with the stop before, I am afraid I would label it as a 'not again' stop.  I would have leaned back in my chair (hardly an easy task!) and waited for another round of selective BBQ to become available...with maybe a dozen Oysters to keep me in my seat while awaiting the next round.

We all make choices, but mine would have been to double-up at Moonlite.

ChiTownDiner

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                Agreed...unless you're feeling the wind in your hair...oh, wait, Carolina said there was no wind!

callmebruce

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Was it no wind, or no hair? They kinda equate to the same thing, though, don't they? Unless your sailing. But I guess you could attach toupees to the mainstays of your boat to watch for wind direction.

I digress, in a hairfree, windless direction.

Awesome dinners though!

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                    In my case, there's not much hair, but there's frequently wind! Seriously, the reason for the trip to New Harmony was that I wanted to add another Roadfood-reviewed restaurant to my "been there, done that" list. My goal was to have eaten at two hundred such places before the end of the summer, and that admittedly pricey meal at the Red Geranium brought me up to about one hundred and ninety. The Pittsburgh roadtrip that followed this one allowed me to reach my goal ( currently 205 RF-reviewed eateries ), but in retrospect I'm not quite sure why that was so important to me at the time. Now when I think about it, the whole thing seems a bit silly. And CTD, it was under two hours ( burp!! )   
                                    <message edited by Carolina Bob on Tue, 07/27/10 6:15 PM>

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                                      Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                      That is some AWESOME looking french onion soup. BTW, thanks Mayor for the heads up on the saddles and fiddles.

callmebruce

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                        I can understand having that goal and doing what you have to to meet it. A very cool goal, and a fun thing all around.

My goal is to ride the entire Silver Comet Trail in Georgia and Chief Ladiga Trail in Alabama. They were old railroad lines (Seaboard), that have been turned into rail-trails. 61 miles in Georgia connected to 33 miles in Alabama.

I put on 60 pounds since I was last into bicycling, running and swimming. But have been at it every weekend. Started at 3.5 miles, then more and more. Did a 22 mile round trip a few weeks back, then last weekend did a 28 mile round trip. I need to do two more sections of the Silver Comet, then off to the CLT! 

I think it would be fun to find independent restaurants along the railtrail. Frankies in Rockmart is supposed to be good. I'm sure there are cool places close enough to the trail to make some fun visits. 

Might be fun to do a roadfood trip by bike! Sorry to wander so far off topic. It's just that I can relate to wanting to make that goal by end of summer. Mine just happens to be on a yellow '72 Schwinn Continental and a converted railroad.

Hmmmm - any roadfood-type places near the trail in Mableton, Smyrna, Powder Springs, Dallas, Rockmart, Cedartown, Piedmont or Anniston? Time to do some research!
                                        <message edited by callmebruce on Tue, 07/27/10 4:25 PM>

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
                                          Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                          that Knockum Hill is a pretty funny name- kind of like knockum dead..LOL
                                          What a great report Bob!
                                          Great food shots- great place shots- I just love it!

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                               Knockum Hill Bar-B-Que is a Friday and Saturday-only barbecue joint that's located on KY 107 just southwest of Hopkinsville, not far from the Tennessee state line. The restaurant first opened in 1980, and was destroyed by a disastrous fire back in late February of this year. Amazingly, the place was completely rebuilt and back in business by the beginning of June. Since I needed to start heading home by around noontime, Louis and I got a fairly early start that morning on the roughly one hundred mile drive south to the tiny community of Herndon.

<message edited by Carolina Bob on Tue, 07/27/10 7:15 PM>

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                 Here's the interior of the newly-rebuilt facility...

ChiTownDiner

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                                What were the pie choices and did you have any?

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                     Louis decided to order light and went with the pork sandwich and a slice of pie ( pecan, I think )...

... and I went with the menu item that Knockum Hill is known for, their amazing colossal pit-cooked pork chop. This thing is enormous, probably big enough to take on Godzilla. Despite being called a pork chop, it's more like a pork roast, and it is as juicy and flavorful as can be. I ate about one third of it there, along with passable beans and potato salad, and it kept me full until dinnertime. The bulk of this hulk went home with me and I got two more meals out of it. Simply delicious and highly recommended.

Here's one last photo from Knockum Hill... the "dinning room", as it's called on the menu board.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    ChiTownDiner

What were the pie choices and did you have any?

Gregg, I was so totally mesmerized by the sight of that porcine behemoth that I didn't even notice the dessert menu, so no pie for me.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                         Having finished what was my final Kentucky meal of this roadtrip, Louis and I drove back north to Henderson, where my car was waiting for me at the motel.

carolina bob

Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                                           Arriving back in Henderson, I said goodbye to my very thoughtful host Louis, and then headed east on US 60 through Owensboro and back to Hawesville. Before once again crossing the Bob Cummings Bridge over to Indiana, I parked alongside the Ohio River and got a nice zoom shot of the Hoosier town of Cannelton...

... and a side view of the bridge.

carolina bob

• Location: Chicagoland
                                                          Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Tue, 07/27/10 11:06 PM (permalink)
                                                             A couple of months ago, in the Miscellaneous-Off Topic forum, there was a thread about a old-fashioned family-owned drugstore in Corydon IN with the somewhat suggestive name of Butt Drugs. Despite the mental images that might be invoked by this moniker, Butt is the family's surname and the place has been in business in downtown Corydon for many years. Amused and intrigued by the photographic possibilities of a store with that name, I made a fairly lengthy detour to the east on IN 66 / IN 62 to Corydon, which is roughly fifteen miles west of the Louisville metro area. Louis had told me that this was an especially scenic stretch of highway, and he wasn't exaggerating.

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                                                            • Location: Henderson, KY
                                                            Re:A pair of back-to-back roadtrips: KY and PA Wed, 07/28/10 12:22 AM (permalink)
                                                            I just took this stretch of highway for the beginning of a two-week summer vacation-roadfood trip.  It was a great way to begin.

I might add that, by my count, on the four-day trip mentioned above, Bob and I hit 18 restaurants/roadfood stops; on two of those days we only went to one place.   So, with those exceptions, we went to 16 places in two days.  Bob had a goal, so I accommodated him.  And I still had a few places to take him, but he can come again and try them next time.

If any roadfooders want to me to take them on one of these area trips, as I did Bob, just let me know.  I'll be happy to show you where the good eats are.  The latter part of each month is when I'm not so busy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 156

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com