A question about Okie Onion Burgers.

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2005/12/24 04:46:50 (permalink)

A question about Okie Onion Burgers.

Hola!

Would someone like to explain how to make an Oklahoma onion burger? I have read that you mash the onions into the patty while its on the grill.

Why don't you just mix the cut up onion into the hamburger before you grill it? What's the difference?

Senor

7 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 05:46:26 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    senor, I haven't a clue. Why don't you try both ways at home?
    It might be that if you infuse the onions into a mix with the burgers
    rather than mash them onto the patty while you fry or grill the burger.
    It will give a different taste and burn quality to the onions. I don't
    mean to sound stupid, but if onions are in the burger meat, rather than
    on top of the burger and are pushed down as it is fried, well....it will create
    a different creature.
    I am serious when I say I don't have a clue, but am serious that you give
    it a try.
    Take Care and be adventureous,
    Fieldthistle
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 12:34:56 (permalink)
    http://www.ahamburgertoday.com/archives/2005/10/recipe_onion_bu_1.php
    Is that it?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4629
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 12:48:15 (permalink)
    The general idea is to grill or char the onions along with the burger. If the onions are mixed into the interior of the burger, they'll steam like a meatloaf. At similar places through out the plains, you'll be asked if you want your burger "with", meaning you want grilled onions with that?
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 12:59:43 (permalink)
    I didn't realize this was a regional type of cooking! Especially since I've never been to Ok. I always add chopped omion to my burger mix and I love carmelized onions! I often will slice an entire onion and cover the fryin pan with them then place the burgerpatty on top, when flipped some onions sticks to the now top of the patty to be hidden by cheese the remaining browning up nicely in the burger juices. A comfort food I recall from grandad is a frying pan full of onions, cooked in bacon drippings till deep brown then eatin openfaced on buttered pumpernichol bread...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 13:04:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

I didn't realize this was a regional type of cooking! Especially since I've never been to Ok. I always add chopped omion to my burger mix and I love carmelized onions! I often will slice an entire onion and cover the fryin pan with them then place the burgerpatty on top, when flipped some onions sticks to the now top of the patty to be hidden by cheese the remaining browning up nicely in the burger juices. A comfort food I recall from grandad is a frying pan full of onions, cooked in bacon drippings till deep brown then eatin openfaced on buttered pumpernichol bread...

Did you check that link out?.. What a cool burger site!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4629
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 13:18:47 (permalink)
    a couple more links:
    http://www.americanprofile.com/issues/20040627/20040627_4003.asp
    http://www.plainsfolk.com/oases/oasis27.htm
    What’s under the bun varies as widely as its size. Some hamburger devotees demand them plain; some prefer them piled. And many find their perfect match in the regional version.

The favorite hometown burger in El Reno, Okla., (pop. 16,212) is evident with one whiff of downtown. The Route 66 town is famous as the Fried-Onion Hamburger Capital of the World and celebrates its legacy the first Saturday in May with a 750-pound, fried-onion community hamburger.

Three downtown eateries within three blocks serve the regional burgers: Johnnie’s Grill, Robert’s Grill, and Sid’s Diner. In the early 1900s, as many as 14 hamburger stands spiced the frontier town. For this burger, a mound of thinly sliced yellow onions is flattened onto a quarter-pound ball of ground beef and sizzled into the patty.

“It’s a hometown deal and has quite an aroma,” says Steve Galloway, 47, owner of Johnnie’s Grill, in business since 1946. “We used to have one guy who’d fly his helicopter here to get fried-onion burgers.”
    Taverns and mom-and-pop places often serve the best old-fashioned hamburgers, discovered Bill Bunyan, 65, of Dodge City, Kan. (pop. 25,176). The retired history teacher completed his quest last August to eat a hamburger in each of Kansas’ 105 counties.

“The best are rustic places,” Bunyan says. “I ate open-faced chili cheeseburgers at Lizard Lips deli (Toronto, pop. 312) where there’s a tank nearby for (fish) bait. Oh, and in Salina, I was in hog heaven at the Cozy Inn.”

The inn’s miniature Cozy Burgers have been cooked on the same 18-by-36-inch cast-iron grill in the six-stool diner for 82 years. Customers pitched a fit in the 1940s when the owner installed a new grill, so he put the old one back. Other than the price creeping up about a dime a decade, nothing has changed. Most people eat five or six of the 80-cent Cozy Burgers, notes manager Larry Jackson, 46, who savored his first at age 4. He ships frozen batches nationwide to loyal customers.

Jackson daily grinds 90-percent lean beef by hand for the plain and simple recipe: a ball of beef is flattened on the grill and sprinkled with onions, salt and pepper. That’s it.

“An employee got fired once for putting on cheese,” Jackson says.

Which just goes to prove, some people are pretty particular about the way they serve—and eat—the all-American burger.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: A question about Okie Onion Burgers. 2005/12/24 14:01:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

One of the best smells in the world is onions and bacon cooking together!
    Watered mouth here!
    Pavlov is in the building!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1