Helpful ReplyA question of Time

Author
Calistoga
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/05/14 18:56:54 (permalink)

A question of Time

I have long been a fan of Road Food, however I have been noticing recently that a lot of the Roadfood of the Day postings are from reviews done four to ten years ago.  The Clam Box in Ipswich sure sounds good but when you click on Michael's review of the place you see that he did it on June 1 of 2006. So my question is: Does anyone check to see if these places are still open, under new management or have slipped in food quality lately?
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/14 22:46:51 (permalink)
Constantly.  The Clam Box review may have been written 6/1/06 but it's been visited by Roadfood.com since then.  Unless there's reason to change or rewrite the review, the original one remains.
Calistoga
Junior Burger
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/14 23:02:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the quick reply.
I wonder how many others find this confusing when you pick a Road Food of the Day and the only review attached to the posting is way in the past?
Perhaps a mention of your revisits would be a good idea.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/15 00:17:24 (permalink)
If someone discovers a place that's been reviewed or discussed on RF has closed, they usually post info about the closing.
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/15 01:22:58 (permalink)
Revisits are a part of the process but it's more than that.  We receive frequent feedback on restaurants from Roadfood.com users, we keep tabs on them through the news and other media, and we even get updates from the restaurants themselves.

I wish we didn't include dates on Roadfood.com reviews written by the editors, because it's deceptive.  If a review is dated 2005 readers might think that's the last contact we had with the restaurant.  But the truth is we don't rewrite the reviews unless we have something new to say (and the nature of many Roadfood restaurants is such that they tend to change a lot more slowly than the latest chef-driven big city restaurant - they are often places that have been in business, doing the same things for the same customers, for a long, long time).
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/15 17:23:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Bruce, 

If a member of the roadfood.com editorial staff makes a revisit to an establishment, couldn't the date of the review simply be updated in the database?  I understand that this doesn't solve the issue for places that have not been physically visited (but may have had some alternate contact), but it may help alleviate some of the confusion - especially maybe for people who happen upon the site via Google search or such.
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/16 16:06:46 (permalink)
I'd like to second Travelin Man's suggestion.  I'd like to see something like that.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2464
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/16 16:34:26 (permalink)
Just to play devil's advocate. if the date of the review is updated it might lead a casual observer who happened upon the review to believe that the write-up took place based on the new date when in fact it is from the original review. 
Cailstoga, if you happen upon a RF of the Day that only has one older review it might help to search the Trip Reports or Where Should I Eat? forums and use the restaurant name to narrow down the search field.  That might generate some more recent visits.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/16 16:36:42 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Bruce, 

If a member of the roadfood.com editorial staff makes a revisit to an establishment, couldn't the date of the review simply be updated in the database?  I understand that this doesn't solve the issue for places that have not been physically visited (but may have had some alternate contact), but it may help alleviate some of the confusion - especially maybe for people who happen upon the site via Google search or such.

Hey #1 Son,

We could hit the lottery and volunteer to do the follow ups for them! 
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/16 17:06:10 (permalink)
Changing review dates has pluses and minuses, as some others have noted in the thread.  We often take new pictures and add them to the review, and sometimes we then re-post the review on the front page to call attention to the new photos.  In an older iteration of this site the review date would automatically be updated when we did that, and we'd sometimes hear from folks who didn't like that.  I haven't noticed if that still happens with the new software.
Calistoga
Junior Burger
Re:A question of Time 2011/05/16 18:47:34 (permalink)
If we look at this from the perspective of a "newbie" who is just learning the site
I'm pretty sure that they would not know to search the Trip Reports or Where Should I Eat for more recent info as billyboy suggests.
I feel the date on the reviews is important but since the only time you see it is if you click on the review page to read further, how about a header at the top of that page above the first review that explains the ongoing process.
Bruce stated above that: "Revisits are a part of the process but it's more than that.  We receive frequent feedback on restaurants from Roadfood.com users, we keep tabs on them through the news and other media, and we even get updates from the restaurants themselves."
Rewording that a bit would hopefully alleviate some of the confusion cause when reading a Roadfood of Today recommendation of a place that apparently has not been revisited for years.

Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1