A quick east coast run

Author
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2302
2014/01/14 20:36:56 (permalink)

A quick east coast run

After leaving Nashville last Monday afternoon,  my first stop was Mrs. Rowe's, in Virginia.  It was a decent breakfast, better than my last visit, but honestly, I would have been better served at the Southern Kitchen, up the road in New Market.
Next morning, Ken8038 and I went for Italian hot dogs, at Big Blue in Linden.   Ken tells me this place is on the verge of being discovered in the hot dog world.  I really liked the atmosphere, but Stewart's Key Lime soda is awful.
Next day, in Red Hook, NY, I lunched at Griff's Diner. They fixed me a great pepperoni sandwich on a hard roll, along with a bowl (OK, a styrofoam cup) of mushroom soup.
My next food stop was Whitey's Fish Camp, near Jacksonville, Fl.  You guys going there next month should definitely include this place on your tour.   I contacted The Travelling Man as I passed through Melbourne, but we couldn't make a connection.
In West Palm Beach,  on Sunday at 4:30 in the morning, if you're in need of a Cuban sandwich, Havana is the place to be.  Best Cuban I've had in years.
The following day in Orlando, I found a Latin place called Tu Casa, on Orange Blossom Trail.  They had a very nice cafeteria line, and the owner was awesome.  No photos, but one day I'll learn how to post pics.

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/14 21:02:14 (permalink)
    Some trip! Hey, I thought you were going to New Jersey for the Super Bowl.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4096
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 07:28:38 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete 

No photos, but one day I'll learn how to post pics.

As easy as pie @ Mrs. Rowe's ... and freehttp://photobucket.com/ .
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/01/15 07:30:04
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2942
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 07:58:42 (permalink)
    Wow, TTM'd by the TTM!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 09:30:30 (permalink)
    Yes. After being out until 4 am the previous night, I received a text around 8:30 in the morning, which I did not see until around noon. By that time, PP had already passed. 

I'm all for last-minute plans - heck, I think I invented the concept - but, even a day's notice could have probably made things work. Oh well....there's always a next time.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 09:39:47 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Yes. After being out until 4 am the previous night

4AM???!!! You animal!!! .....I turn into a pumpkin way before Midnight!

PP
    Sounds you like you made the most of your quck east coast trip....
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4020
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 11:30:57 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

My next food stop was Whitey's Fish Camp, near Jacksonville, Fl.  You guys going there next month should definitely include this place on your tour.   I contacted The Travelling Man as I passed through Melbourne, but we couldn't make a connection.
    In West Palm Beach,  on Sunday at 4:30 in the morning, if you're in need of a Cuban sandwich, Havana is the place to be.  Best Cuban I've had in years.

The Fish Camp is a place I've wanted to try and I love a good Cuban, so now I have 2 new places to go to in FL. Thanks Steve! 
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 11:44:03 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

Have you met me? I am the perpetual night owl/insomniac.
    Poverty Pete
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 12:14:55 (permalink)
    I wasn't sure where Melbourne was. I thought it was closer to Orlando, where I knew I would be staying for several hours.   I'll be back.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6831
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 12:57:25 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

Have you met me? I am the perpetual night owl/insomniac.

You and I would get along great........I never got home from the restaurant before midnight.  Had dinner around 2AM, got to bed around 4AM.  And MH thinks I'm a freak for watching Leno at 11:30!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 15:36:52 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

After leaving Nashville last Monday afternoon,  my first stop was Mrs. Rowe's, in Virginia.  It was a decent breakfast, better than my last visit, but honestly, I would have been better served at the Southern Kitchen, up the road in New Market.
    Next morning, Ken8038 and I went for Italian hot dogs, at Big Blue in Linden.   Ken tells me this place is on the verge of being discovered in the hot dog world.  I really liked the atmosphere, but Stewart's Key Lime soda is awful.
    Next day, in Red Hook, NY, I lunched at Griff's Diner. They fixed me a great pepperoni sandwich on a hard roll, along with a bowl (OK, a styrofoam cup) of mushroom soup.
    The following day in Orlando, I found a Latin place called Tu Casa, on Orange Blossom Trail.  They had a very nice cafeteria line, and the owner was awesome.  No photos, but one day I'll learn how to post pics.

Did you have the fillets or the whole fish at Whitey's? I've lived in Gainesville for 50 years and have never gone to Whitey's.  My Mom just moved to Orange Park so this trip is a must.  Hopefully we can pass on the Papa Murphys and hit Whitey's up this time.
    Poverty Pete
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/15 16:57:34 (permalink)
    Rusty,

Go for the AYCE whole, headless, wild catfish.  It's really easy to separate the meat from the bones, and with the smaller fish, you don't even have to worry about that; just eat it, bones and all.
    I think my first trip to Whitey's was back in 1970, and it hasn't changed.  Don't hesitate, just go, and gorge.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/16 11:33:21 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

Rusty,

Go for the AYCE whole, headless, wild catfish.  It's really easy to separate the meat from the bones, and with the smaller fish, you don't even have to worry about that; just eat it, bones and all.
    I think my first trip to Whitey's was back in 1970, and it hasn't changed.  Don't hesitate, just go, and gorge.

I'm certainly not scared of picking a bone!  Thanks Pete.  Heading "up" there week after next.

Poverty Pete
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/17 13:14:08 (permalink)
    Next time I'm up that way, I'd like to check out the Village Diner, in Red Hook, NY.  My instinct tells me it could be a really great find, but I didn't stop there due to parking issues.  Have any of you guys ever been?
    annacrowe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/01/17 21:26:11 (permalink)
    I made a recent trip down from Atlanta and stopped in Thomasville, GA (a little bit out of the way) because someone sent me some cheese from these guys, ,  before so I had sneak in there for sandwich. It was awesome! Thomasville is such a cool little town. I wished I could have stayed there longer. I stopped in Orlando for a little bit, but wasn't too impressed with the .  When I made my way back to Tampa, I need a some solid Tampa food...enter Frenchy's Rockaway Grill. They have the best calamari and grouper nuggets you'll ever taste. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:A quick east coast run 2014/02/06 13:46:21 (permalink)
    Where else have you been PP?  No doubt it has been someplace good!

I am intrigued by the lake perch place you told me about just south of Detroit, which I hope to visit later this year.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1