LockedA sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4220
2012/12/08 22:13:44 (permalink)

A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum

I enjoy Roadfood.com and, I would guess, 95% of my postings on the site concern food.  My posts are, in general, well-received. 

But, there is this forum within our community which invites posting and giving perspective  on "stuff" which we find either to be of general interest or simply hilarious.   For some arbitrary and capricious reason some of my well-intended, considred content ends up either being "spam-labelled" or expurgated entirely. 

In one extreme case an entire thread I started was expurgated after several pages of spirited, informed "back & forth" - none of which could have been fairly called "political"; the "issue at hand" was whether or not energy generated from wind turbines located in the Atlantic could be stored in U.S. Postal Service vehicles, later to be released to "fire the grid".

Here is that video wherein a gentleman of my age, my race, and is (even) a fellow Presbyterian speaks on the Senate floor as a duly elected Senator of the "first state" of these United States of America:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4pHUwv2nc .

I posted the video as I thought (and think) it to be absolutely risible. 

Yet, the whole of that mostly thoughtful thread was arbitrarily and capriciously cast into the ether. 

I certainly may be incorrect, but it is my sense that the reason for that was that several of our "equals" were making fools of themselves.

Then very recently, on the "What are you reading" topic on this forum, I opined that the "Killing Lincoln" and "Killing Kennedy" books were enjoyable reads.  Further, I assured those who may be somehow predisposed not to read anything written by an employee of a certain cable channel that they had nothing to fear in the way of "ideological infection". 

That simple recommendation of that which has already been well-received -  the two books are the top two NYT non-fiction "best-sellers" - unleashed a torrent of "fun" back and forth that was expurgated when a number of the "plebes" mocked "the select".

In that censored exchange I cited - TOTALLY without offense to any rules, "Roadfood's" or otherwise - another book I was then re-reading,  Orwell's Animal Farm.

I quoted a passage in it that I still cannot understand for either internal logic or the sentiment:  "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

I ask now what that means in the context of Roadfood.

Discussion, please; take care to remain "within the rules" (as I have been above, most carefully).

60 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 00:28:54 (permalink)
    I'm not a moderator but i think it might be a good idea to read the revised code of conduct which is at the beginning of the off topic thread. Please feel free to send me a personal message and i will be glad to discuss as best I can my interpretation of the rules.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4220
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 10:54:15 (permalink)
    mr chips,

Your advice is wel taken. 
    I read the revised policy and, following, copy it for others to read.
    ---------------------------------
    Due to the high probability of discussions involving political or social issues degrading into exchanges that will violate the first two rules of this forum, such discussions are forbidden. Posts in violation will be deleted. Continued violation of this guideline can lead to loss of posting privileges.

Remember the basic rules for posting on this forum.

1. Show respect at all times.

2. Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum.

Zagut
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 13:57:22 (permalink)
    I like this place but I do see where it has become a place where new ideas and people are not as welcome as the old timers. 

The Anti- Spam function is abused by folks who simply disagree with what's posted and the Mod's plea they really have no power.

I lurk more then post simply because I don't feel welcome.

A lot of those who have been here a long time do tend to look down at anyone new or who have a different opinion then what's been accepted in the past.

Enjoy life because we only get one shot at it.
    post edited by Zagut - 2012/12/09 13:58:49
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8089
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 16:10:22 (permalink)
    You need to post more, Zagut!  It's how you get that "welcome" feeling. 

Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 16:29:37 (permalink)
    Unless you are doing food reports, disaster reports or illness there is a lack of social content on this site. Very seldom anyone cracks a smile.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 17:51:31 (permalink)
    We used to.
    Zagut
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 18:50:37 (permalink)
    Sorry Mar. I really do like you but this place just isn't a place to feel welcome. Posting more won't cut it when what is posted is rejected because you're not one of the "Old Boys".
    Right or wrong that's the impression given and impressions are 99% of what you receive in return.
    I'll continue to read this stuff but until I see a more accepting attitude among the "Old timers" here I'll just lurk and watch.
    I'll open my big mouth when I see fit but that won't be often.

1bbqboy.  "Used to" is a key here.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 19:08:42 (permalink)
    I just blaze ahead and piss people off. It can be fun and I'm a pro at it. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8089
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 19:31:05 (permalink)
    Hope you try more, Zagut.

I try to post where I can.  Buffetbuster's post in the trip report forum is where I'm having a good time now because although I'm not one of the Good 'ol Boys, I've been to almost all the places BB is reporting on... I can relate!  It makes it easier.

Bill... You're good at what you do. 
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 19:35:33 (permalink)
    Thanks. 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/09 20:38:15 (permalink)
    I imagine we all feel insecure to some degree and we wonder if we fit in. I've been communicating online now in public forums for over 28 years now. I think and hope I have developed a keen sense of how I want to behave in the various places I visit, and they are not always the same way. I'm different here than I am on a few other boards I frequent. I am very different the way I post on Facebook vs. Twitter. Mostly I try to go with the flow but keep my own agenda.

One thing I have learned over the years is don't worry about changing anyone's mind. In that regard discussing politics and social issues is pretty much useless though I do it for exercise on another board that allows it. It is more an exercise in formulating my own thoughts. I once tried tracking how much I actually typed in a day and it was over 10,000 words. Now most of those words are just to vent my frustrations and usually end up on the delete floor. So type away but know when to pass on the Send button.

I have no idea how I am perceived here in Roadfood.com. I know I have slowed down and haven't posted as many trip reports even though I travel 15,000+ miles around the United States every year.  I don't or try not to get too personal with "old timers" on here other than to find a lutefisk dig for wanderingjew but that is because I just like the guy.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 04:27:48 (permalink)
    i don't post about politics here because the rules ask me not to do so. I also worked in politics for 12 years of my life and have discovered that very few people change their mind on deeply held beliefs due to my brilliant arguments, You win elections and issue fights by mobilizing and energizing your supporters to take action. I love to discuss things in the appropriate places on the net and I try to follow the rules here even though I do have strong opinions
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 08:39:41 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Due to the high probability of discussions involving political or social issues degrading into exchanges that will violate the first two rules of this forum, such discussions are forbidden. Posts in violation will be deleted. Continued violation of this guideline can lead to loss of posting privileges.

Remember the basic rules for posting on this forum.

1. Show respect at all times.

2. Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum.

This says it all.

Trust me, the moderators don't want to treat you all like children, and have tried...oh how we have tried...to be liberal in application of these rules. Unfortunately political or socially charged topics almost universally degrade into, as the rules state, "exchanges that violate the first rules of the forum". I wish that was not the case, as we have many people here with interesting backgrounds and life history's, and hearing what they think about these forbidden topics would probably be interesting or at least eye opening. Sadly, intolerance of the views of others seems to trump both the rules of the forum and, many times, the basic rules of socially acceptable discourse and we are usually left with a big mess. Often, the threads get so polluted they become too hard to clean up and are deleted in their entirety. This is a shame, but when there are quotes of bad posts, comments responding to deleted posts, etc trying to leave portions of the thread becomes impossible as what is left will be incoherent.

As for the whole old-timers being unwelcoming thing, I am not sure what people expect or want. It is an open forum. As long as you post within the rules no one has a greater right to speak their mind than anyone else. Post away. 
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 09:01:43 (permalink)
    Zagut

Sorry Mar. I really do like you but this place just isn't a place to feel welcome. Posting more won't cut it when what is posted is rejected because you're not one of the "Old Boys".
    Right or wrong that's the impression given and impressions are 99% of what you receive in return.
    I'll continue to read this stuff but until I see a more accepting attitude among the "Old timers" here I'll just lurk and watch.
    I'll open my big mouth when I see fit but that won't be often.

1bbqboy.  "Used to" is a key here.

You seem to be suggesting your posts have been "rejected"? Where? By whom? You started a thread and despite the fact no one was replying anymore, you kept responding to it yourself to bump it to the top. Is that your rejection issue? 

You have been here almost a year and have made zero posts about the stated topic of this forum...roadfood. I am guessing if you go into any forum, on any topic and make no attempt to discuss the actual focus of the forum you aren't going to ever become "welcome". 

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 11:33:26 (permalink)

I think I qualify as an "Old Timer" here (hell, I qualify as one anywhere) and I haven't noticed anyone being unaccepting of you or other posters. Unaccepting of an idea, sure. But this is a discussion board. I, for instance, do not accept the suggestion that I must enjoy chicken wings, sushi, so-called lobster rolls containing mayonnaise, or that I must call apizza pizza. But there's nothing personal about that.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 13:05:06 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I think I qualify as an "Old Timer" here (hell, I qualify as one anywhere) and I haven't noticed anyone being unaccepting of you or other posters. Unaccepting of an idea, sure. But this is a discussion board. I, for instance, do not accept the suggestion that I must enjoy chicken wings, sushi, so-called lobster rolls containing mayonnaise, or that I must call apizza pizza. But there's nothing personal about that.

Mr. Hoffman, what was Prohibition like?

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 13:18:07 (permalink)
    It was a bitch!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 14:28:26 (permalink)
    I agree with Tony about the difference between 'out of line' posts, and personality conflicts.
    Funny how time and some effort on the part of all involved can make a Mole-hill out of a Mountain when it comes to communication on this site. Just ask Chewie, and JoeRogo, how things seem to work themselves out over time. I am quite happy to call them 'friends' now and hope that any interpersonal conflicts can be resolved as well as ours have been.
      Not everyone here wants to be "loved". We do find members who seem to enjoy harassing or putting down others. The Moderators do make an effort to control those poor-behaviored posters...but some seem to be beyond our control at this time.
       I urge patience when you run across one of the conflicts, to quote MH..."What goes around, Comes Around"  or some such nonsense as that...
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 14:48:54 (permalink)
    Al, either that, or you could just marry them off to lleechef. That seems to have remarkable effects on people's personalities.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 15:12:40 (permalink)
    Now, wait just one damned minute ... .
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 15:29:29 (permalink)
    The nominations are in for Best Post of 2012.....

Poverty Pete

Even though he came back from Joisey without a picture of CC
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 15:45:48 (permalink)
    Don't jump to conclusions, Joe.  Would you return from Paris without a photo of the gardens at Versailles? Would you go to Kamakura without trying to capture the Buddha?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 16:23:29 (permalink)
    The Fountain of Youth..
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:02:23 (permalink)

Regarding Zagut's point over the "Old Boys", I think it would be helpful if the longer-standing members would stop using "insider talk" and code that newbies would have idea what it means.   A while back,  I was perplexed at what "TTM'd" meant.  It was later explained (after having to ask), that it meant "The Travellin Man'ed", which was named after The Travellin Man, who was known for showing up at closed restaurants. 
    While using this acronym of "TTM'd" might be cute among long-standing members, it is convoluted and makes no sense to newer members.   It doesn't take that much more effort to say, "It was closed when I arrived" versus, "I was TTM'd".  

.... And, what is this "glee club" I see referenced at times?.  I could see no reference to singing, so I assume it's another "code word" for something, and am still in the dark on that one.

For an upper midwest tour, there is a refernce to "the contingent".  Again, same question?  What does this mean?    

To help newbies understand what is being said and feel welcome at a forum....any forum, whether it is food, cars, boating, or whatever, using understandable language is much more helpful.  

Thanks.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/12/10 17:05:55
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:07:19 (permalink)
    We're a secret society. If you can't figure out the clues, no entrance into the inner sanctum.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:20:32 (permalink)
    I don't spend much time on the internet. I still barely know how to use my smartphone so since my time is limited.... you just won't find me on here that frequently- especially during the day- I work and I've been really  getting slammed at work, or late at night- I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep in.... But this is still the website that I primarily enjoy looking at when I'm on the internet.... 

This is a website about Roadfood. I post trip reports, respond to trip reports, respond to "where to eat" posts and other posts pertaining to Roadfood.  Ive met some friends along the way with similar passions and interests and that has been very rewarding

I know there are others here that post about things  I just don't care about. Please  don't let that stop you....you just won't find me in those threads.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:22:19 (permalink)
    Glenn1234 

.... And, what is this "glee club" I see referenced at times?.  I could see no reference to singing, so I assume it's another "code word" for something, and am still in the dark on that one.

The Glee Club is a group of Roadfood members who travel around North America wearing garish Hawaiian shirts trying to rescue Wiffenpoofs who are convinced they are actually black sheep rather than a capella singers who belong to an eating club in New Haven.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/12/10 17:23:58
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:37:38 (permalink)
    Glenn1234, This  is a community, a community of goof-offs, but still a community.  At any time, any poster, new or old can chime in and ask a question.  And I can gar-in-tee you will receive a respectful reply.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:A sincere question re: policy and practice on this forum 2012/12/10 17:56:23 (permalink)
    joerogo

The nominations are in for Best Post of 2012.....

Poverty Pete

Even though he came back from Joisey without a picture of CC

I second that nomination.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1