A taste of Texas

Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/09/04 10:16:14 (permalink)

A taste of Texas

I came across this site from the Grape Creek Market in the Texas Hill Country. You can order online all kinds of meats, from smoked briskets to venison tenderloins and sausage.

I don't know about the wild boar though!" />

http://www.grapecreekmarket.com/

18 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/04 10:37:55 (permalink)
    Great link, Lone Star! Thanks.

Man, I was in Johnson City this past weekend. Wish I'd known about this place. Next time I'm over there, I'll stop in and report back.
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/04 11:58:45 (permalink)
    I must say I always get a sense of dread when I see a meat market that also sells souveniers and kitsch. It pays to be a bit cautious when shopping on-line or in person in the hill country. Some places might give good value, but some are, to be blunt, the worst sort of tourist traps. There seems to be a rich tradition of German and Czech style meat markets in Central Texas, and many also process game. Most don't have any sort of web presence, though I have found one that I have been meaning to get up to in person for awhile:

https://secure24.dellhost.com/~D30044247/default.htm

Does anyone know of any simlar places closer to Austin?

I agree with you, Lone Star, about the wild boar. And, at $25/lb, there's a good chance I won't get the chance to find out how good it is. Some game can be interesting, but, in general, our ancestors knew what they were doing when they domesticated cattle, sheep, chickens, and, of course, those marvelous pigs.

Regards,
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/04 12:41:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gator

Does anyone know of any simlar places closer to Austin?

I have heard good things about Cooper's Meat Market in Austin, but I haven't been there. I've been to the one in Cedar Park, and the meat was good, but they didn't have much of a selection. I often go to Southside Meat Market in Elgin to buy steaks & such (and eat bbq, of course).

Here's a link that'll give you a list of places in Austin:

http://phonebook.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Meat/PI-57675/S-TX/T-Austin/

Peterek's sounds like a great place! I'll be driving up there soon! Thanks for the link.
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/04 12:45:30 (permalink)
    Much obliged to you, Bushie. I am long overdue for a visit to Elgin.

Regards,
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 14:04:18 (permalink)
    Gator, I drove up to Peterek's on Saturday. It was closed (hand-written sign on the door said they were off for a few days), but I liked the drive. It's a cool little place kinda in the middle of "nowhere". I'm really looking forward to going back when they re-open. I'll report on my findings, but I think it's going to be a winner!.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 14:21:35 (permalink)
    quote:

I agree with you, Lone Star, about the wild boar. And, at $25/lb, there's a good chance I won't get the chance to find out how good it is. Some game can be interesting, but, in general, our ancestors knew what they were doing when they domesticated cattle, sheep, chickens, and, of course, those marvelous pigs.

Regards,

Whoa--$25/lb----glad i can still get a hunting lisc!!!Wild boar can be REALLY good---like all game it pretty much depends on what they are eating. Havent had any since coming to Oklahoma but in Califonia we had few that fed on acorns and apples from an abandoned orchard---EXELLENT!!! My partner even smoked a ham or two with that apple wood--a really nice Easter treat!
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 15:25:38 (permalink)
    Bushie, that's funny, because I too drove up to Peterek's on Saturday, and saw the same note. It's pretty country once you get away from the freeway (that must have been one of the biggest prickly pear bushes I've ever seen!).

Whoever finds it open first should report here what they find.

Regards,
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 17:47:06 (permalink)
    Gator, that IS funny! (Hey, were you that guy standing on the side of the road taking a leak...)

First one there definitely will post a report. Ready...set...GO!
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 18:04:09 (permalink)
    Bushie, what sort of person do you think I am?!? I'll have you know I stopped at the rest stop just before the exit just like, judging by the appearance of the place, everybody else.

Just leave me some Czech smoked sausage, and a couple ribeyes, if you get there first.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/08 18:11:53 (permalink)
    quote:

Bushie, what sort of person do you think I am?!? I'll have you know I stopped at the rest stop just before the exit just like, judging by the appearance of the place, everybody else.

Yeah, I saw the traffic at the rest stop. That's why I chose that little turn-off under the shadetree...
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/15 13:42:37 (permalink)
    Bushie, I made it to Peterek's last Saturday. I called at 9 am, and he said that he was feeling poorly and would be closing early. However, he agreed to stay open until I could get there, which he did.

He didn't have a lot of stuff out for display (as you will remember, we're not talking about a spacious building: walk in the door, and you are pretty much in the middle of the operation), I suspect because of illness, but he fetched everything from a cold room in the back. So far, I tried the summer sausage and ground breakfast sausage. Summer sausage was excellent. Ground sausage was lean and flavorful. I also picked up some Czech smoked sausage and ribeyes, which I've yet to try. Oh, and I grabbed a jar of plum jam for my wife: they also do a bit of canning, including salsas and jams.

Mr. Peterek was super nice. Seemed real sharp, and, judging by the way he encouraged me to take some of his business cards, he's not planning on retiring any time soon. I'd encourage you to stop by. Mom-and-pop operations like this keep a lot of Texas heritage alive. Hopefully, he'll be in better health soon, but with deer season coming on, he'll either need to be open his full hours, or hire someone to do it.

Regards,
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/15 17:21:41 (permalink)
    Hey Gator, thanks for the report! Glad you made it there.

I just knew that was going to be a great little place. I'll try to make it back up there this next Saturday. Can't wait to try their sausages...

Thanks again for making me aware of it.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/20 16:36:41 (permalink)
    Gator, I made it there today. Ray Peterek is a great guy, and actually quite a salesman! He kept suggesting things, and I kept saying, "Ok, give me some of that." I walked away with a lot of beef jerky, smoked Czech sausage, summer sausage, pork breakfast sausage, hamburger, and even a big chunk of Longhorn cheese (I snacked on the jerky and cheese on the drive back home).

He also gave me a bunch of flyers to hand out, and I plan to tack them to bulletin boards around town.

The jerky was incredibly delicious, and I'm going to grill the Czech sausages for dinner tonight. Tomorrow morning, it will be the pork sausage.

Once again, thanks for recommending Peterek's. I plan to become a "regular".
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/22 11:53:13 (permalink)
    Cheese? Nobody mentioned cheese!

That's great, Bushie. I'm glad you made it there, and I hope you are enjoying your purchases. Ray and his store seem to be the genuine articles. Since there's not enough room for two customers at one time in the shop, though, we'll probably have to alternate weekends.

I really liked the Czech smoked sausage, which, being originally from the Midwest, I cooked for hours in a dutch oven with cabbage and potatos. Delicious. I'm curious what your experience was with grilling them.

Regards,
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/22 12:43:41 (permalink)
    Gator, there was a big hunk of Longhorn right on top of that little "meat counter" on the left as you walk in. Mr. Peterek pointed it out twice, so I took the "hint" and bought some.

The sausages were great grilled; he said they were really smoked enough and ready to eat, but recommended heating them for about 10 minutes on the grill. I probably had them on for 15.

However, cooking them like you did sounds awesome. I froze some, so I'll do it your way later this week.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/29 17:49:52 (permalink)
    Ok, Gator (or anyone else around here interested), I found a new meat market today in Round Rock. I was out at lunch and saw it...

This place is on N. Mays just south of Bowman. Henry's Butcher Block offers only "All-Natural, Hormone/Antibiotic free Beef, Chicken, Pork and fresh-made Sausage". He also had some jerky out.

He opened Labor Day weekend. I drive by there almost daily and had just noticed it today, so I hope he'll correct his "signage".

Anyway, I only bought some ground sirloin today (fixin' to make some super rare burgers tonight), but his steaks all looked Prime-grade. I'll be supporting him, and I thought you might be interested.

http://www.henrysbutcherblock.net/
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/30 14:21:33 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bushie. I'll give it a try.

Mu current thing is the downtown farmer's market in Austin. There's a fellow there, Loncito, who sells lamb. Good, inexpensive and free-range. There's also a free-range beef rancher, but I recommend the ground beef only, if you catch my drift.

Regards

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: A taste of Texas 2003/09/30 17:37:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Mu current thing is the downtown farmer's market in Austin. There's a fellow there, Loncito, who sells lamb. Good, inexpensive and free-range. There's also a free-range beef rancher, but I recommend the ground beef only, if you catch my drift.

Hey, thanks Gator. I haven't been to that one, yet. I'll be in Austin on Saturday for the Boggy Creek Farm market, so I'll swing by the Austin market and see Loncito.

I LOVE lamb.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1