A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (UPDATED 2/10/10 with 2nd trip!)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 11:09:10 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

NC Cheesehead

I always look for value but that burger looked every bit worth what you paid.  The bun
appeared to be a really good quality artisan bun.  The meat looked every bit as good as you said.  But one thing...I would have preferred real cheddar or swiss as opposed to a processed cheese product.  Just a minor thing.

I know you're using a different definition but:

"The subjective theory of value (or theory of subjective value) is an economic theory of value that holds that to possess value an object must be both useful and scarce, with the extent of that value dependent upon the ability of an object to satisfy the wants of any given individual. "Value" here is distinct from exchange value or price."

Seems like a good value to me

This is entirely a 'your miles may vary' kind of thing, but the reason I like American on cheeseburgers, even good ones like this, is that I really want to taste the meat moreso than the cheese.  So the standard here I use is the Beacon cheeseburger--the meat is nowhere near what billy has here, but the very simple Velveeta topping is creamy and has a good texture but keeps your attention on the flavor of the meat.  I love cheddar, and swiss, and all kinds of cheeses but if I want to taste them then I really want a grilled cheese sandwich.  I do like a cheeseburger with grilled onions and Provolone, but those two things together specifically.  My two cents entirely.

billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2409
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 11:24:19 (permalink)
@TJ, I've heard a lot about the Black Label burger too, but paying $26 for the burger (over $30 with tax and tip) is something I have a hard time reconciling in my mind.  The Old Homestead has a burger for $41 and while it gets a lot of great press, I just can't do it.

@Nancy, this burger finally made me understand why wanderingjew places such a high value on the quality and focus on the beef as opposed to the toppings in a hamburger.
JohnDunne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 20:25:10 (permalink)
Great report. I have had the Peter Luger burger a number of times but I never could have documented the experience as well as you did.
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 20:37:02 (permalink)
Great report and a great looking burger.
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 21:39:33 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

EatingTheRoad

NC Cheesehead

I always look for value but that burger looked every bit worth what you paid.  The bun
appeared to be a really good quality artisan bun.  The meat looked every bit as good as you said.  But one thing...I would have preferred real cheddar or swiss as opposed to a processed cheese product.  Just a minor thing.

I know you're using a different definition but:

"The subjective theory of value (or theory of subjective value) is an economic theory of value that holds that to possess value an object must be both useful and scarce, with the extent of that value dependent upon the ability of an object to satisfy the wants of any given individual. "Value" here is distinct from exchange value or price."

Seems like a good value to me

This is entirely a 'your miles may vary' kind of thing, but the reason I like American on cheeseburgers, even good ones like this, is that I really want to taste the meat moreso than the cheese.  So the standard here I use is the Beacon cheeseburger--the meat is nowhere near what billy has here, but the very simple Velveeta topping is creamy and has a good texture but keeps your attention on the flavor of the meat.  I love cheddar, and swiss, and all kinds of cheeses but if I want to taste them then I really want a grilled cheese sandwich.  I do like a cheeseburger with grilled onions and Provolone, but those two things together specifically.  My two cents entirely.

I would agree Nancy that the taste of the beef should be what stands out.  I didn't mean it should ever overpower the meat by any means but should accent it.

When I spoke of value, I never ever meant cheap.  My thoughts were that burger looked excellent with top notch ingredients.  Even at that price, I would buy it and enjoy every savory bite.  When I want a cheap burger, I'll head to BK and hit a cheap double cheeseburger on the dollar menu.  But at that price, if you put that incredible burger on an artisan bun, why wouldn't you put a good tillamook cheddar or some fine wisconsin cheese on that beauty?  I would still eat it in a heartbeat though.  Not trying to argue.  Just offering my humble opionion.

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/14 23:12:44 (permalink)
Oh no, I didn't take it that way, nor was I trying to argue either.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 01:13:48 (permalink)
I just relocated so I am about 15 minutes away from Luger Burger - I'll have to check it out this week.  Believe it or not, I have eaten there about 30 times, but have never been for lunch.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 03:18:20 (permalink)
 Well after seeing those pictures and reading your description, i decided i'd check it out. Wrong! For some reason i thought Peter Luger's had a few more places. Nothing here in Chicago, only NY! Thanks for ruining my day, billyboy! Pictures look awesome btw!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 09:55:27 (permalink)
This isn't a meal, its an experience...........Great report Billy.............BillyB
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 482
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 12:55:50 (permalink)
Wow - we've been talking about trying Luger's for years and have just never made it. Now we have to go for lunch AND dinner....since I've got to try one of those burgers. Another great drool-worthy photo spread!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 13:34:28 (permalink)
I know that I have mentioned before that I am a fan of Luger's.  I had a discussion with a friend the other night and we talked about how he may rather go to Luger's for lunch for the burger than for dinner for the steak.  Those are pretty strong words...but, it is a pretty fabulous burger.

The last time I was there, I asked for a slice of tomato to also accompany the burger.  Honestly, it was too much.  This really is one burger than needs nothing else on it - bun, burger, bun - that would make me happy.  The cheese - which usually ends up looking toasted on top - which I assume is a function of the broilers at Luger's - is good, but almost not necessary.  The bacon...well, you guys saw the bacon.

Still, after eating MANY hamburgers/cheeseburgers/bacon cheeseburgers all across this great land - the Luger Burger remains my #1 burger of all-time.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/15 16:52:00 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Still, after eating MANY hamburgers/cheeseburgers/bacon cheeseburgers all across this great land - the Luger Burger remains my #1 burger of all-time.

Wow.  Coming from you, that means a lot.  I'm going to try my damndest to make time to go there next May.

Are reservations necessary/required for lunch?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 00:30:13 (permalink)
Don,

Given my reputation around here as one who does little in the way of advanced planning, reservations, as a rule, do not suit me. 

Admittedly, I tend to hit Luger's on off hours (1:30, maybe, for lunch?), and primarily at their Great Neck location.  I have never had a reservation and I have never waited for a table.  I suspect that the Brooklyn location may be busier for lunch, and if you can swing reservations, I am sure that they would gladly take them.
billyboy
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 00:58:08 (permalink)
@JohnDunne, thanks so much and Welcome to Roadfood!!

@NC Cheesehead, I hear what you're saying about the cheese, but for some reason the subtle creaminess of this cheese balanced very nicely with the richness of the meat without becoming a "look at me, look at me!" diva-ish grab for attention away from the star of the show.

@Stephen, your post about Black Iron Burger and Back Forty here in the East Village is what prompted me to start this quest in the first place.  Many thanks!!

@jeepguy, as for "ruining" your day, I do my best!  

@MiamiDon, I went on a Friday around 2:10pm without a reservation and it was fine.  I was cool with sitting at the bar and the dining room did look kinda full.  They did have one of the dining rooms closed for renovations, so that may have been part of the reason the other one was so packed.  I live four subway stops away so winging it "Travelin' Man" style is no biggie for me.  However, if you're coming from out of town and this is a big reason for coming here, I'd suggest calling ahead, just to be safe.  And if you want a table, I strongly suggest calling ahead!

post edited by billyboy - 2012/08/18 04:12:24
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 01:53:08 (permalink)
going to Luger's this coming weekend, will report back
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 06:38:34 (permalink)
Wow, great stuff Billyboy!!!!

Just curious about one thing that's not explained, but is photographed: the gold coin. You said "flipping my gold chocolate coin" when you left, as if they'd given it to you. I'm guessing they did? But wondered what the coin story is anyway!

And Nancyp, I agree about the cheese.
billyboy
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 07:14:49 (permalink)
Cecif, thanks!!  The gold chocolate coin comes with the check at Luger's for every customer.  I had forgotten about that and when they brought out the check, it was a pleasant surprise.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 07:23:24 (permalink)
Wonderful report billyboy!  I have desperately wanted to visit Peter Luger's for years and now you have me wondering if I should go there for lunch or dinner.  Is it safe to assume you don't have to get dressed up?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/16 10:42:57 (permalink)
I wish I could be on the next plane out !!!
catherine s
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/17 07:07:33 (permalink)
I enjoyed your descriptive report.  Both pics and dialogue.  

Thank you for the adventure.  Anticipating more .

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5099
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/17 09:04:11 (permalink)
Wow...at most places I've been to a medium burger barely has a hint of pink in the middle and even medium-rare falls short of this one!  Does Peter Luger's do its own grinding?  Perhaps not on site but at a central location with the final product delivered fresh to the restaurants?

Brad
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/17 09:46:42 (permalink)
Getting in the car now, heading there for lunch.

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/17 10:26:36 (permalink)
Slim Strummer...we expect nothing more than a 1000+ word report replete with photos
BurghFeeder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/17 10:29:22 (permalink)
Great report Billyboy!  I've wanted to go there for a long time and after seeing your pictures, I'm ready to jump in the car and try to get there before 3:00!!!

http://burghfeeding.blogspot.com/
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/18 00:19:01 (permalink)
Awesome report, billy!!! Never thought I'd order the burger if I got lucky enough to go to Luger's but wowwwwwwww.
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/19 09:03:11 (permalink)
While I do often see people eating the burger at Luger's, I personally would never consider eating there and not having the steak.  While the burger may be one of the better ones in the area, their steak is THE BEST I've ever had anywhere in the world.  I can get a great burger in a hundred places in NYC, I can even make one at home, but I cannot duplicate the wonder that is the Peter Luger's steak.
KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/22 18:33:59 (permalink)
An Excellent Trip Report. One of the best ever.

I agree with you. When ever one has an exceptional dining experience....price becomes secondary. It's the experience and the memories that matter most.

post edited by KenK - 2009/11/22 18:37:15
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/22 21:10:51 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Excellent trip report Billy Boy , I have been there for lunch and dinner once each and it is trult one of the best burgers anywhere . Steak is in my top three .

Quick story , early 90's , Crown Heights Riot , we get called down at the end of a 4x12 from Northern Manhattan , riot gear the whole shebang , since its my last tour  and we go around the clock till 9am the following day the  eight  of us and sgt get back to pct around 1000am , We just did like 21 hours OT ,  what do three of us decide to do , we head back to Brooklyn to Peter Lugers , riots not more than a few miles away , have the best burger ever , some adult beverages , and than head home . We figured with the OT check we could afford Lugers that one time , blue collar cops were not normally visiting there often but hell we made the exception .

I would be up for a lunch  or dinner visit anytime with my roadfood friends

Benzee
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/25 21:44:28 (permalink)
I have now been to NYC, ate at Luger's, and can now confirm - the Luger burger is out-freakin-standing - best ever for me
rainyday6
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:A very special trip to Peter Luger's in New York City (with pics!) 2009/11/30 04:10:13 (permalink)
Billy, thank you for the gorgeous pics.  Having ordered steaks from them once, I can only dream of what the food must be like at the restaurant itself.  They scattered those gold coins inside the package, too. 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1