The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 118 of 118
carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 9:50 PM (permalink)
And speaking of the Nash....

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 9:57 PM (permalink)
    Here's a great advertising piece from the Golden Age of Radio...  
    <message edited by nocarolina on Fri, 01/15/10 5:24 PM>

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
      Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 10:07 PM (permalink)
      I concur, nice look at this place! When I worked there they had a cutoff date of 25 years for display items, so I never saw anything newer than 1955 - I'm definitely going back.

If you're in the neighborhood again, Ypsilanti (where I used to live) has an old Hudson dealership in Depot Town that's been turned into a mini-museum (certainly quicker to see all of!)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 11:34 PM (permalink)
        Here's a few more of the antique cars in the Ford's collection. I don't know the make or model of any of these, so if you do, please let me know... 

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 11:37 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 11:42 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 11:45 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/16/09 11:57 PM (permalink)
                This is the Ford X-100. It's a one-of-a-kind concept car that was built in 1953, the year of Ford's fiftieth anniversary.

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 12:00 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 12:06 AM (permalink)
                    You'll have to write your own captions for this one, folks, because, frankly, I've got nuthin'... 

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                      Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 8:28 AM (permalink)
                      nocarolina

Here's a few more of the antique cars in the Ford's collection. I don't know the make or model of any of these, so if you do, please let me know... 

You've got the Model A Ford here, and a '55 Chevy further on - two of the most iconic cars ever! There's a Buick from around 1950 (looks a lot like an old beater my dad would use to drive to his community garden spot) and a 1930-era Auburn that was there when I was. Love that green trim.

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                        Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 6:52 PM (permalink)
                        Vince Macek

I concur, nice look at this place! When I worked there they had a cutoff date of 25 years for display items, so I never saw anything newer than 1955 - I'm definitely going back.

If you're in the neighborhood again, Ypsilanti (where I used to live) has an old Hudson dealership in Depot Town that's been turned into a mini-museum (certainly quicker to see all of!)

Small world I am a Ypsilanti High Grad. We made many field trips to Henry Ford/ Greenfield Village Museums.. always learned something new. The old Hudson dealership is Depot town is still there.. as well as "Frog Island Beer" served at Aubrey's

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 7:22 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks for the information, Vince. I always enjoy displays of antique cars, but my knowledge of makes, models and production years is just about two steps up from non-existant ( I do know an Edsel when I see one, though. )

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 7:34 PM (permalink)
                            This is the Sikorsky VS-300, an early experimental helicopter from 1939.

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 7:38 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 7:52 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Here's a couple of classics from the early days of aviation...

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 8:03 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 8:41 PM (permalink)
                                      I was rather surprised to learn that this beautifully-done miniature mansion is a dollhouse...

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 8:48 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                          By now it was almost closing time ( 5 PM ), and there was just enough time for one more exhibit plus a visit to the lil' boys facilities before they kicked me out, so here's our final exhibit: a standard American kitchen from the 1940s.
                                          <message edited by nocarolina on Sat, 10/17/09 9:05 PM>

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 9:03 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Sat, 10/17/09 9:14 PM (permalink)
                                              Even though I only had about three hours to spend at the Ford, I had a wonderful time and will definitely return someday when I have more time to see everything that I missed. From here, I headed down to Toledo for dinner and a good night's sleep before continuing on to Buffalo the next morning. I hope you enjoyed this tour, and now I've got to get started on my latest North Carolina trip report... well, eventually.
                                              <message edited by nocarolina on Sat, 10/17/09 9:50 PM>

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/23/09 1:13 AM (permalink)
                                                Since this website is called Roadfood.com and not Museumtours.com, I feel obligated to include at least one food photo in this thread, and here it is: this delicious piece of made-on-site chocolate cream pie was my dessert that evening at Schmucker's, a classic roadfood restaurant on Toledo's west side that dates back to the late 1940s.

carolina bob

Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/23/09 1:16 AM (permalink)

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                                                    Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/23/09 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                                    What a terrific report. Thank you much. It brought back many memories. My dad was a steel worker in Detroit, and it seems like every year there were mandatory school field trips to Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, the Detroit Zoo, and the Cranbrook School grounds and science museum. Made a vacation trip to the area about 15 years ago specifically to see the museum,Greenfield Village, and the Cranbrook community. I wanted my sons to see where their old man spent some of his youth. Taking my grandkids this coming spring.

Thanks again

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                                                      Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Fri, 10/23/09 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                                      OOps,

I forgot to add, my kitchen looks a lot like the one in the pictures, I have a 100 year old house, with all the quirks, problems, and wonderment that an old house surprises you with. Wouldn't have it any other way

Ziechy

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: California, CA
                                                        Re:A visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI Mon, 01/23/12 3:16 AM (permalink)
                                                        We know that The Henry Ford museum is a National Historic Landmark so that it is so great to be in there.
                                                        <message edited by Ziechy on Mon, 01/23/12 3:17 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                          Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 118 of 118

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com