A window across the back of a food truck over the cooking equipment?Anyone done that here?

Author
newandathepoet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2014/02/24 18:41:13 (permalink)

A window across the back of a food truck over the cooking equipment?Anyone done that here?

I saw a truck, Uncle Gussy's in NYC, on the TV show Eat St.  They had windows all the way around, which I thought was a great idea.  The rear window was over the flat top and other cooking equipment.  I have never seen that done before.  I sent them a message for information but they never responded back. Has anyone on this forum done that? Pros and cons?

I live in Alaska and would love to have as many windows as possible.  I don't work in a cubicle for a reason!

3 Replies Related Threads

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:A window across the back of a food truck over the cooking equipment?Anyone done that he 2014/02/24 18:51:50 (permalink)
    There are some places that allow you to get away without having a hood if you have a screened window like that by the cooking area. You'd have to check with your health department to so it that's true where you live.
    I can see that it would help for light and ventilation. I don't think I'd want to serve over my flat top though. I have seen some trucks (most often those designed for fairs, where the back of the truck equals one booth wide) designed to use the back window as the serving window.
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:A window across the back of a food truck over the cooking equipment?Anyone done that he 2014/02/25 00:18:36 (permalink)
    my windows wrap around all 3 sides, with griddle & service window on street side so I'm cooking in front of the customer. I love it!!! I have served over the griddle, no biggie, It just slows things up.  Dont use window as a vent, install vent above window. Wonderful in Spring & Fall. Downside: Dust and rolling mist can come through cheap windows on the rear BTDT, make sure they're good sealed windows. Street side has 3 18x48 Sliding windows with 6in between them, one for taking order, one for me to interact with the customer as they watch, one for pickup orders. I just close my window when I need to curse.... they laugh when I open it back up, because they knew what I did.... lol
    PS. in AK, insulate the floor VERY WELL!!!!! 
    kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    Re:A window across the back of a food truck over the cooking equipment?Anyone done that he 2014/02/25 14:43:03 (permalink)
    where in Alaska do you guys vend?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1