A/C in Truck

Author
thatsawrap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2014/02/06 23:44:00 (permalink)

A/C in Truck

I had my truck built and they installed a Dometic high efficiency 13.5 BTU A/C. Problem is truck is hotter than all hell inside and we do not use any stoves, fryers, etc.. Has anyone had success with keeping the truck "cool" inside when the window is open?

9 Replies Related Threads

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/06 23:57:21 (permalink)
    Yep.  I have a mini split system in my truck and I placed two roof fans evenly spaced in front of my hood to help provide makeup air.  Even in August my truck is comfortable...I don't know who is thinking up the A/C in these trucks (especially here in So Fla) but they need to get back to the drawing board...I've been in several (other than mine) and its rough...this coming from someone who has years and years of restaurant experience-where it's always hot as hell too.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/07 14:52:54 (permalink)
    fishscale28

Yep.  I have a mini split system in my truck and I placed two roof fans evenly spaced in front of my hood to help provide makeup air.  Even in August my truck is comfortable...I don't know who is thinking up the A/C in these trucks (especially here in So Fla) but they need to get back to the drawing board...I've been in several (other than mine) and its rough...this coming from someone who has years and years of restaurant experience-where it's always hot as hell too.

Fishscale,
    Can you post some pictures? I'd appreciate it.
    Jack
    MurphyR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/08 16:39:15 (permalink)
    We have 2 Dometic 13.5 btu units that we only used about 10 times last summer.
    We have a big truck with a ton of equipment. The hottest it ever got to the touch on the ceiling was 98 degrees. Other trucks were hitting 130+.

The key to keeping our truck cool was the use of multiple materials to insulate the walls and ceiling. Along with an air gap, I used foil backed bubble insulation, rigid foam board and 1/2" plywood. This has a finish cover of stainless steel.

We open the window and turn on the vent. All the cooling we need 90% of the time.

On the flip side...to keep heat in,
    I used rock wool and cement tile underlayment to keep the heat from the cooking equipment from getting thru and possibly damaging the vinyl wrap on the outside.

INSULATE. INSULATE. INSULATE...!
    post edited by MurphyR - 2014/02/08 16:40:40
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/08 19:30:22 (permalink)
    Doc I'll snap some pics tomorrow but what I did was mounted the compressor unit outside on a makeshift rack (wanted to do a big bumper but was cost prohibitive at the time so I just used one of the trailer hitch cargo racks and mounted it onto a trailer hitch I installed on the driver's side (using the side of the truck to hang one side and the frame for the other).  I ran a 25' line set along the frame and ran it up through the wall I built to separate the cab and the kitchen.  Above my sink is where the air handler is.

Yes Murphy insulation is very important but being able to help provide adequate cool air that's balanced with what the hood is pulling out is paramount.  Most trucks have their hoods that suck what little cool air their AC puts out via the windows.  Makeup air is key...
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/08 19:35:56 (permalink)
    https://www.facebook.com/...amp;type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/...amp;type=3&theater

Here ya go-hopefully these give you an idea of what I did
    cajam124
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/18 07:42:15 (permalink)
    fishscale, what is that red-brown material on the floor of the truck?
    thanks
    cajam124
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/02/18 09:51:57 (permalink)
    I used some heavy weight vinyl flooring-that's what you see.  Great to clean and easy to take care of just don't get the ones with grooves like I did-get the flat stuff.  It's meant for garage floors so its heavy duty but its hard as hell to sweep with the ridges
    ReemoCharles
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/03/02 14:38:35 (permalink)
    Thank you for posting.
    I am new to this forum, and I see alot of people who are rebuilding their step vans.  Roughly what would I be looking at to rebuild a step van into a juice truck. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:A/C in Truck 2014/03/02 19:38:46 (permalink)
    First start reading every post on this forum.  Then gather a list of questions and either google the points or search through the forum.  Then once you have all those answers you can start a new thread and make inquiries.  Most of what you need is already well documented several times over.  Absorb as much of the knowledge as you can then work on getting a list of questions together.  Trust me-everyone here will be much happier to provide help after you do a little legwork on some of the well covered topics.  Good luck!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1